Viswanathan Anand has competed in 10 World Chess Championships since 1995 and has won five of them.
This is the first time that the 51-year-old will be traveling for the World Championship in a different role. Anand will be one of the official commentators for the 2021 World championship match scheduled in Dubai between champion Magnus Carlsen and challenger Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia from November 24 to December 16.
It will be very nice. Exactly--I will see it [the match] from a different side! I will be in a world championship without the tension and pressure. In the end, I am a chess fan and so will be happy in a chess competition, said Anand to Sportstar here on Wednesday.
Though Anand has done online commentary for quite a few tournaments in the recent past, this will be something new for him.
I havent really done any mock training. I will go there, watch some people who have done commentary and try to get some vibes. It will be a learning curve, hope it will be fun, he said.
Carlsens form, observed Anand, has been very impressive in the last year (2020-21).
If you see the two tournaments in Norway (Norway Chess in 2020 & 2021) and the one in Wijk Aan Zee (Tata Steel tournament), and the other tour events, he is playing continuously and playing well despite a hectic schedule. He is very consciously trying to get himself in good shape for the World, said Anand.
ALSO READ | Mitrabha Guha becomes India's 72nd Grand Master
Going by his current form, Anand said Carlsen would be the clear favourite.
Even though there were moments when he [Carlsen] has looked wobbly, and again this is perception rather than reality. Because people have unrealistic things from him. But if you see the consistency in the tournaments he has won, we still have to call him the favourite, he said.
This is the first time since 2008, the Championships will have 14 games [plus tiebreaks] rather than the usual 12 games with tiebreaks. This, Anand said, will provide a different dimension to the contest.
It could be. On the other hand, I think every chess player knows by now you have to do a crash course in fitness before the World Championships. Especially given that it is 14 games and Nepo knows he has to be very fit. And if you see his recent interviews, one could learn that he has lost a lot of weight recently. He is fully aware of it, said the legend.
Nepomniachtchi, according to Anand, has a bit of catching up to do when it comes to fitness.
Because he probably had to do this match practice for the first time. And I think he took much more time off. But he has managed some reasonable performances. He is strong enough to be a good rival, he said.
Elaborating that 14 games will be taxing on both players, Anand said Two extra games will make it slightly more tiring. They now play three games before a rest day and not two games like before. Longer games give both players more chances for a comeback from setbacks, he opined.
Read this article:
- Learn From Grandmasters And Save On This Chess Training Package - GameSpot - November 27th, 2021
- Aiding the Eastern European chessman is essential for the US | TheHill - The Hill - November 27th, 2021
- AIs Disruption Of The Strategy Gaming Space Proves That Machines Are Getting Smarter - Forbes - November 12th, 2021
- What Happened in Reinforcement Learning in 2021 - Analytics India Magazine - November 12th, 2021
- Jonny May willing to pay the price for special moments with England - The Independent - November 12th, 2021
- A Black Marine in the Adirondacks says he felt isolated during tours in Iraq - North Country Public Radio - November 12th, 2021
- Katherine Ryan: I thought plastic surgery was aspirational - The Guardian - November 12th, 2021
- Learn Chess | Chess Training For All Skill Levels | iChess - November 1st, 2021
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - November 1st, 2021
- Center for Health and The Social Sciences - November 1st, 2021
- Grand Swiss: Shirov and Najer join Firouzja in the lead - Chessbase News - November 1st, 2021
- Fully vaccinated seniors can participate in some People's Association classes, activities from Monday - The Straits Times - November 1st, 2021
- Computers have no feelings and human intuition will trump AI, says Apple Co-founder and tech entrepreneur Stev - YourStory - November 1st, 2021
- Inspired by the Olympics? These Utah sports venues can help you train or just try something new - Salt Lake Tribune - November 1st, 2021
- Islam Makhachev calls for UFC title shot: I have to wake up my division - MMA Fighting - November 1st, 2021
- Tyson Fury demolished Deontay Wilder in the finale of a frenetic fight week with Top Rank's Melissa Takimoglu - Sky Sports - November 1st, 2021
- News from the world of Education: October 16, 2021 - The Hindu - October 19th, 2021
- On the West Side, rowing, ruby, lacrosse and chest - Austin Weekly News - October 19th, 2021
- Chess tactics training - Improve your chess - October 8th, 2021
- Chess.com - Play Chess Online - Free Games - October 8th, 2021
- Scott: Lets do our talking on the pitch - Manchester City FC - October 8th, 2021
- What to Watch on Streaming This Week: Oct 8 14 - Observer - October 8th, 2021
- Meet the startup applying "Moneyball" tactics to esports - Sifted - October 8th, 2021
- Do the US and China have a Taiwan agreement? - Al Jazeera English - October 8th, 2021
- Gun in Newark school adds to growing safety and mental health concerns - Chalkbeat Newark - October 8th, 2021
- Opinion: Tom Brady vs. Bill Belichick is more than just a narrative. It should be a fascinating football chess match. - USA TODAY - October 8th, 2021
- Killer Chess Training - July 10th, 2021
- New: Chess training with video on Playchess! - Chessbase News - June 11th, 2021
- CHESSFOX.COM Structured Chess Training - May 30th, 2021
- Making the right moves: Chess coaches seamlessly switch to online training - The New Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Up Your Chess Game With This Massive Training, Now Over 85% Off - Rap-Up.com - April 5th, 2021
- Watching The Queens Gambit? Master the game of chess with this extensive training bundle - KSAT San Antonio - February 1st, 2021
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Business Insider India - December 18th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Ridgewood, NJ - patch.com - September 7th, 2020
- Competitive Chess and Advanced Math Training this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 5th, 2020
- Training in Chess and Advanced Math starts this FALL - ONLINE! - Patch.com - September 4th, 2020
- Elite Chess Training - August 17th, 2020
- Train chess 10 little known chess training methods that work - August 17th, 2020
- 5 Best Chess Training Softwares - Appuals.com - August 17th, 2020
- Top 2020 training camp battles for Cardinals: Isaiah Simmons is a chess piece, but where will he align? - CBS Sports - August 11th, 2020