July 20 is International Chess Day (also called World Chess Day by the United Nations). In honor of the holiday, the folks at The Noble Collection asked me if I wanted to review the Star Trek chess set. Sometimes my job is really cool.
In the accompanying video, you can see the entire chess set in action. It's actually a lot nicer than I expected. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but I guess I figured it would be some kid's toy. It's not. It has much more of a collectable quality. Watch the video. You'll see.
More to the point, though, I got to thinking about what July 20th really means to me. On July 20th in 1969, human beings stepped out onto the moon's surface for the first time. I was a little boy way back then, watching on an old black and white Zenith TV.
I've often wondered how Michael Collins felt. He stayed in the command module, orbiting the moon, while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin went down to the surface. On the one hand, he was a critical part of the crew of Apollo 11. On the other hand, he got so close but never made it onto the moon's surface.
While I was putting the video together, I thought a lot about the relationship between the original Star Trek series and the real-world space program.
The first episode of Star Trek aired on Sept. 8, 1966. Gene Roddenberry had actually started writing his treatment (basically, a concept document) for Star Trek on March 11, 1964. Think about that date.
The last crewed Mercury flight (which launched just one astronaut into space at a time) launched on May 15, 1963, with Gordon Cooper in the cockpit. Cooper was an aeronautical engineer and an Air Force test pilot. He was also the youngest of the Mercury astronauts.
Roddenberry penned the basic concepts for Star Trek after Mercury but before Gemini (the missions with two astronauts in the cockpit). The Enterprise was originally called the Yorktown in his treatment. The original pilot, "The Cage", was filmed in 1964 as well. That pilot didn't make it into production, but some of the characters we've now come to know and love in Star Trek Discovery were defined back then, including Captain Pike, Number One, and, of course, Mr Spock.
The original Star Trek series was picked up by Desilu Productions, at the time a leading independent TV production firm.
Fun fact: Desilu was named after its owners and founders, Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball. Yep, that Lucy and Desi. As the story goes, Lucy was actually the person who greenlit Star Trek, believing it would have life in this concept she had, called syndication. Back then, reruns and syndication weren't the juggernauts they became. Lucy not only enabled Star Trekbut pioneered the entire concept of second-run TV shows.
As hard as it is to believe now, that first Star Trek show with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy wasn't a huge success. After ratings dropped, it was cancelled. The last episode aired on June 3, 1969 -- about a month and a half before Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon.
As I edited the video, my thoughts took me along two paths. The first, of course, was that all that went into the original series ranging from Klingons to teleporters, from handheld communicators to automatic sliding doors -- preceded the very first moon landing. Contrary to popular legend, the communicator did not inspire the cell phone. Mobile phones were under development before that time. But it was still cool.
My other path of thinking was just how well some of the original plot devices in Star Trek TOS have held up over time. If you've watched the subsequent series, whether The Next Generation or Discovery, it's interesting to see just how much of the basic foundational mythos of Star Trek was put into practice in that original series.
Next, I want to loop in some space and chess-related TV recommendations, in no particular order. The next season of the animatedStar TrekseriesLower Deckspremieres in three weeks, on August 12.
I've been watching the Apple TV+ seriesFor All Mankind. It's an alternate history version of the space program where Armstrong and Aldrin landed after the Russians. I got Apple TV+ for freewhen I bought an inexpensive iPad, but I'd pay the $4.99 a month just to watch this series. It's tight and can be very suspenseful in places.
It also spotlights some of the unsung roles women played in America's early space program, including the Mercury 13. Most people don't know that 13 exceptional female pilots were trained to be astronauts along with the men for that mission. A character in the show, Molly Cobb, is based largely on Jerrie Cobb, a truly amazing woman who never made it into space but was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for her very dangerous work flying supplies to indigenous tribes in South America.
Be forewarned,For All Mankindis kind of likeGame of Thronesin space, wherebadthings always happen.For All Mankindgets very, very dark. But it's still a very cool series.
Let's loop back to chess. If you haven't watchedThe Queen's Gambiton Netflix, you're missing a great show. I avoided it for the longest time because the idea of a series around chess seemed like it might be pretty tedious, but some of my friends raved about it. So, my wife and I watched it together, and I must admit, it was riveting. Well worth your time.
And with that, I'll sign out for now. Have a happy International Chess Day/ Moon Landing Anniversary. If you've watched any of these shows or have any cool Star Trek props or stories, please feel free to share in the comments below.
And what about the 3D chess set I reviewed? Do you plan on getting one? What about giving one as a holiday gift? The comments are there for you to let us know.
You can follow my day-to-day project updates on social media. Be sure to follow me on Twitter at @DavidGewirtz, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DavidGewirtz, on Instagram at Instagram.com/DavidGewirtz, and on YouTube at YouTube.com/DavidGewirtzTV.
- Like in chess, protecting the King key for No. 6 Aggies in season opener - TexAgs - September 4th, 2021
- Trinidad and Tobago fail to advance to Online Chess Olympiad Division II - TT Newsday - September 4th, 2021
- If You'd Like to Learn How to Play Chess May I Suggest Doing It With a T-Rex via The Noble Collection's Jurassic Park Set? - The Mary Sue - August 23rd, 2021
- Ending years of feud, AICF and Chess Association of India announce merger - The Indian Express - August 23rd, 2021
- The 8 Best Movie-Themed Chess Sets to Buy Online - IndieWire - August 23rd, 2021
- Chess May be Banned in Afghanistan - World Chess - August 23rd, 2021
- Coach Of The Month: IM Kostya Kavutskiy - Chess.com - August 23rd, 2021
- The Guildford Chess Club celebrates its 125th anniversary! - Chessbase News - August 23rd, 2021
- Chess, PHILSPADA athletes to be honored in 27th SKC awards - Mindanao Times - August 23rd, 2021
- Harshit Raja, Indias 69th Chess Grandmaster - Gulte - August 9th, 2021
- Nas enjoys a game of chess in Rare visual - REVOLT TV - August 9th, 2021
- How the game of Chess has helped mold Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux - NBC Sports - July 25th, 2021
- Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand Goes Down To Anish Giri In Croatia Grand Chess Tour - Outlook India - July 10th, 2021
- The Real Queens Gambit: Ashley Priores Nonprofit Aims To Give Women An Edge In The Male-Dominated World Of Chess - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Of Anand, simultaneous chess and the cheating controversy - The Hindu - June 28th, 2021
- Chess in The Parks held at Myrtle Park in Indian Orchard - WWLP.com - June 28th, 2021
- The Londoner Inviting a Guy Over to Play Chess - The Cut - June 28th, 2021
- Carol Jarecki: From chess mom to one of the game's greatest referees - Washington Times - June 28th, 2021
- NBA Playoffs 2021: The chess match between Trae Young and the Milwaukee Bucks' defence is only beginning - NBA CA - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021