The Spanish city of Pamplona is famous for its annual running of the bulls. The "Encierro" is part of the San Fermin Festival, which has been held in the city of Pamplona every year from 6 to 14 July since 1324. Due to the Corona crisis, the mayor of Pamplona, Enrique Maya, officially announced in April that the event could not take place this year. The infection rate in Spain is too high and the vaccination rate too low.
As a replacement, an online chess tournament was held last weekend. The idea came from artist-entrepreneur Mikel Urmenenta. Chess 24 and SEBA Bank AG supported the tournament.
The organisers managed to attract none other than Magnus Carlsen to the capital of Navarre. The World Champion spent the weekend in Pamplona and played the eight-player online blitz event from his luxurious hotel suite in which no other than American writer Ernest Hemingway stayed when he visited Pamplona.
The line-up of the tournament was strong: Wesley So, Ding Liren and Levon Aronian were invited and competed against four grandmasters who had earned the right to take part by winning qualifying matches. The four qualifiers were Eduarda Iturrizaga, Liem Quang Le, Jaime Santos and Nodirbek Abdussatorov. The quarter-finals were held on Saturday, while the semi-finals and final were played on Sunday.
Master Class Vol.8: Magnus Carlsen
Scarcely any world champion has managed to captivate chess lovers to the extent Carlsen has. The enormously talented Norwegian hasn't been systematically trained within the structures of a major chess-playing nation such as Russia, the Ukraine or China.
Each match consisted of eight blitz games with a time-control of 3+2. In the event of a tie, another pair of 3+2 games was played. In the event of a further tie, an Armageddon game was to decide the match.
Carlsen was in good shape won all of his matches convincingly.
Ding vs Santos 4.5:1.5Aronian vs Abdusattorov 6:5 (after an Armageddon game)Carlsen-Iturrizaga 4.5:2.5So vs Le 4.5:0.5
Carlsen vs So 4.5:1.5Ding vs Aronian 3:5
Carlsen vs Aronian 5:3
Carlsen was named "Visitor of the Year" after his tournament win, "guiri" in Spanish, but pronounced like "Giri".
- Chess at the Spanish Pavilion - Chessbase News - November 27th, 2021
- 2021 FIDE World Rapid & Blitz Championship: All The Information - Chess.com - November 27th, 2021
- Lindores Abbey Blitz - Live! - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2021
- Chess: Firouzja, 18, becomes third youngest world title candidate after Carlsen and Fischer - Financial Times - November 12th, 2021
- Stockfish can crush you at chess even more efficiently in the 14.1 update - Neowin - November 1st, 2021
- Azerbaijani chess players take 11th, 13th among TOP-100 in the world - Trend News Agency - November 1st, 2021
- Monarchs and ubersprogs - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2021
- Game of the Week 484: Giri vs Carlsen - Chessbase News - October 8th, 2021
- Daniel King's Power Play Show: Tactics from the Chessable Masters and the genius of Magnus Carlsen - Chessbase News - August 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen moves forward in the Chess World Cup, but ... - July 25th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen botches win and heads for tiebreaks at chess World Cup - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Exclusive| Inspired by Magnus Carlsen, 12 year old Abhimanyu Mishra aims to be World Champion one day - Times Now - July 10th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen chess games - 365Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen | Norwegian chess player | Britannica - March 9th, 2021
- Wesley So beats Magnus Carlsen again to win Opera Euro Rapid - chess24 - February 15th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen survives 'disgusting' blunders against Daniil Dubov - The Guardian - February 15th, 2021
- World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen On The Very Relatable Queens Gambit Scene - TheThings - January 23rd, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen only has the second most popular video series of 2020 - chess24 - January 9th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit: Chess 'has not been kind to women,' says world champion Magnus Carlsen - Euronews - December 11th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen reaches Skilling semi-finals despite mouse slip - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Magnus Carlsens Champions Chess tour to be streamed on digital platforms, including in India - Mumbai Mirror - November 12th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen wins as Alireza Firouzja blunders in pawn endgame - The Guardian - October 16th, 2020
- P Harikrishna stuns Magnus Carlsen but later suffers four losses - The Indian Express - September 24th, 2020
- Levon Aronian defeated by Magnus Carlsen - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - September 16th, 2020
- Chess: Garry Kasparov and Magnus Carlsen draw in historic ... - September 12th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Carlsen Ties Match To Set Up Final Clash - Chess.com - August 19th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Nakamura Extends Lead, Carlsen Strikes Back - Chess.com - August 11th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Carlsen leads Ding in ... - August 11th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2020
- Play Magnus - Chess Training, Magnus Carlsen - June 24th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen | Top Chess Players - Chess.com - June 24th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen announces $1m online series as ... - June 24th, 2020