It's often easy to overlook the efforts and sacrifices that go behind making a prodigy achieve success at the highest level. "Gifted athlete" is a term that is often associated to define the athlete's success. When Abhimanyu Mishra became the youngest Grandmaster, breaking a 19-year-old record set by GM Sergey Karjakin, the world rejoiced. The chess community was awestruck at the 12-year-old's achievement.
Abhimanyu Mishra evolved into a prodigy. All his father, Hemant Mishra, wanted was to make sure his son avoided the trend of getting addicted to phones or tablets. Hemant was aware that toddlers were getting drawn into the virtual world and he wanted his 2-year-old son to do something better.
Speaking to Geeta Mohan, Foreign Affairs Editor, India Today, Hemant said Abhimanyu started playing the game when he was 2 years and 8 months old. He was not a natural when he started out and the proud father added it took him a couple of years to get used to the game.
But once he started taking part in competitive tournaments at the age of 5, the family decided that it would concentrate efforts into helping him grow as a professional chess player.
"We started way back when he was 2 years and 8 months. The idea was to introduce this Roya Game to him. We prefered him spending time on this game, rather than working on his phone or iPad because at that time, I saw many kids who were addicted to that," Hemant told India Today.
"That's how it started. He started playing tournaments from the age of 5. We were lucky to get very good coaches, Grand Master Arun Prasad Subramaniam and Grandmaster Mahesh. They started planning everything and we were just executing."
When Abhimanyu defeated 15-year-old Indian GM Leon Luke Mendonca at the Vezerkepzo GM Mix tournament in Budapest on June 30 to pick up his third GM norm and secure the Grandmaster title, there was joy and a bit of relief too.
Abhimanyu and his father have been camping in Hungary since April while his mother Swati and sister Ridhima were in New Jersey, backing the chess star from home. Hemant was remotely working even as he travelled with his son to tournaments. While he was vaccinated against the Covid-19, the caring father had to take all the precautions as they travelled amid the pandemic. Abhimanyu, 12, had played over 70 games over the last 2 months in a foreign land.
And when history was created, it was Ridhima who was providing live updates. Abhimanyu's mother told India Today that she hardly watches him play and that's part of superstition.
"We know, move by move, what's happening. As soon as the opponent resigned he became the youngest GM. I got to know. Ridhima Mishra. I have a superstition. I don't watch it live. I think I jinx it. Ridhima was watching it and she was giving commentary," Swati said.
Abhimanyu's family has been supporting the young man's dream (India Today)
Abhimanyu is relieved that their 3-month stay in Hungary finally came to an end.
"It feels amazing to get the record after staying here for 2 and a half, 3 months. Finally, my hard work of 7-8 years paid off," the youngest GM said.
Abhimanyu's 10-year-long career has had its fair shares of ups and downs but he considers the defeat that came after he struggled to control sleep as a 5-year-old as one of the turning points.
"That was when I was five. There was a tournament. There were rounds a day. Each game would go for 6-7 hours because the time control was so long.
"This was the 2nd game of the day. It was going way into the night and at some point, I was winning but then he started taking so long because he knew that I was a five-year-old kid and I wouldn't be able to stay awake for long. After a while, I wasn't able to keep staying awake.
"At some point, I offered a draw. He declined the draw and I unnecessarily lost the game. It was way past my bedtime.
"Next year, the same tournament, the same situation happened, this time I was 6, but I was better prepared. When that happened, it was 2 am. At some point, he offered a draw, I declined the draw and somehow he lost. That was an amazing game," Abhimanyu added.
- Grandmaster (chess) - Wikipedia - July 25th, 2021
- Pure Chess Grandmaster Edition on Steam - July 25th, 2021
- CHESS GRANDMASTER - Play Chess Grandmaster on Poki - July 25th, 2021
- Grandmaster (GM) - Chess Terms - Chess.com - July 25th, 2021
- The Spanish chess player arrested in Cuba for asking for freedom, transferred to one of the worst prisons - Market Research Telecast - July 25th, 2021
- Five Americans Advance in FIDE World Cup, Yip to Women's Round of 32 - uschess.org - July 25th, 2021
- NJ child phenom goes for youngest chess grandmaster at age 12 - July 25th, 2021
- Chess World Cup 2021: Hayk M. Martirosyan, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov to compete in tie-break - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - July 25th, 2021
- The Spanish chess player detained in Cuba starts a hunger strike due to the pasotismo of Foreign Affairs - Market Research Telecast - July 25th, 2021
- Abhimanyu Mishra Becomes Youngest Grandmaster In Chess History - Chess.com - July 10th, 2021
- Is chess coming "home"? England looks forward to its big day: ChessFest - chess24 - July 10th, 2021
- Meet the 12-year-old chess prodigy who is world's youngest grandmaster - Yahoo! Voices - July 10th, 2021
- MVL: I aim to get back into the top 10 very soon - Chessbase News - July 10th, 2021
- Croatia Grand Chess Tour: Vishwanathan Anand returns to over-the-board - InsideSport - July 10th, 2021
- Indian Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand to Play First On-Board Game in Croatia Grand Chess Tour - India West - July 10th, 2021
- Grand Chess Tour Returns to Board With Superbet Classic in Romania - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- Abhimanyu Mishra: World's youngest grandmaster in the making - THE WEEK - June 11th, 2021
- Catch The Clash's grand champions in today's episode of 'Rise Up Stronger: The Road to NCAA Season 96' - GMA Network - June 11th, 2021
- Chess on the water at Hempel World Cup Series - Allianz Regatta - International Sailing Federation - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan to battle Viswanathan Anand in a game of chess to raise money for fighting Covid-19 - The Indian Express - June 11th, 2021
- Asian Zonal Hybrid Chess Ranindu wins to reach third place - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - June 11th, 2021
- FTX Crypto Cup: Caruana wins the prelims, Carlsen and Nepo qualify - Chessbase News - May 30th, 2021
- Throwback Thursday: Ivanchuk wins the 2016 World Rapid Championship - Chessbase News - May 18th, 2021
- Anish Giri wins the Mr Dodgy Invitational again! - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- US Trainer Khachiyan Recognized by FIDE, Wins First Liu Wenzhe Award - uschess.org - May 18th, 2021
- Coronavirus | Good response to GMs moves - The Hindu - May 18th, 2021
- MDI 2, Day 2: Jobava dances to win over Grischuk - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- On chess: Grandmaster Ian Nepomniachtchi Wins FIDE Candidates, Qualifying To Face face Magnus Carlsen In The World Chess Championship - St. Louis... - May 5th, 2021
- How NOT To Improve At Chess - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Editors Picks: 11 Events for Your Calendar This Week, From a Chess Grandmaster at the Rubin to a Modern Spin on Artemisia Gentileschi - artnet News - May 5th, 2021
- Let's talk about the Candidates... with Eric van Reem and Jonathan Tisdall - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- The Mind Hack Will Smith Uses to Stay Focused and Motivated - menshealth.com - May 5th, 2021
- Nepomniachtchi: 'I Don't Have The Tendency To Downgrade Myself' - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- The Armageddon of cancel culture - TheArticle - May 5th, 2021
- Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Candidates Round 14: Ding, MVL and Alekseenko finish on a high note - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- World #6 chess grandmaster compares watching esports to watching chess - PC Gamer - April 21st, 2021
- Worth the Wait in Gold: Caruana Wins in Candidates Restart - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- Will Smith Reveals His Favorite Moment From 'The Pursuit of Happyness' - Yahoo Entertainment - April 21st, 2021
- Square Off is a smart chessboard that lets you challenge opponents anywhere - Boing Boing - April 21st, 2021
- Lime and its competitors plan to flood parts of NYC with e-scooters - Mashable - April 21st, 2021
- Rising Through The Ranks: Queens 12-Year-Old Has Eyes On One Day Being Chess Grandmaster - CBS New York - April 5th, 2021
- Explained: Can Grandmasters cheat in online chess and get away? - The Indian Express - April 5th, 2021
- an ode to chess - The Brown Daily Herald - April 5th, 2021
- FIDE World University Championship Participants Disqualified Without 'Proof Of Actual Cheating' - Chess.com - April 5th, 2021
- BINGE IT!: Netflix's 'The Queen's Gambit' teaches the game of life through chess - WALB - April 5th, 2021
- On Chess: Online Chess Interest Soars Since The Start Of The Pandemic - St. Louis Public Radio - April 5th, 2021
- Instructive endgames from the European Club Cup - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- The Meeple Guild: Chess in Canada: Part II - Yorkton This Week - April 5th, 2021
- Euro Club Cup: Clichy and Deizisau in the lead - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- Chess: Guildford, unbeaten for eight years, find the strongest ever Eurocup a bridge too far - Financial Times - April 5th, 2021
- IBM's New Debater AI is a Terrible Idea, Here's Why - Digital Information World - April 5th, 2021
- Go From Chess Beginner To Master With This Mega Bundle Of Courses, Now Less Than $40 - IGN Southeast Asia - February 20th, 2021
- AI mistakes black and white chess chat for racism - The Independent - February 20th, 2021
- This aluminum chessboard and its iconic chess pieces have been crafted for the millennial grandmasters - Yanko Design - February 17th, 2021
- AICF to start Indian Chess League - The Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Why our relationship with young achievers is so complicated - BBC News - February 17th, 2021
- Chess: Wesley So notches another title at world No. 1 Magnus Carlsens expense - ABS-CBN News - February 17th, 2021
- Were all content businesses: esports orgs borrow from the media owners playbook in search for new revenues - Digiday - February 15th, 2021
- Titled Tuesday: Svidler Winning With Grunfeld - Chess.com - February 12th, 2021
- A chess game without chess - Knight's Retreat is now on Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4 and Switch - TheXboxHub - February 12th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit and The Modern Era of Chess - The Oberlin Review - February 12th, 2021
- Opera Euro Rapid QF: Carlsen, So and MVL off to winning starts - Chessbase News - February 12th, 2021
- Fat Fritz 2: The Best of Both Worlds - Chessbase News - February 12th, 2021
- Morning sports update: Bart Scott thinks Patriots fans will run Bill Belichick out of town without quarterback fix - Boston.com - February 12th, 2021
- LeBron James' longevity and consistency will define him in the end as Los Angeles Lakers push for another title - Sky Sports - February 12th, 2021
- Loving the Alien | chess24.com - chess24 - February 10th, 2021
- Levon Aronian's mother speaks in defense of her son - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - February 10th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit: Why Beth Ending Up Single Was The Best Choice - Screen Rant - February 7th, 2021
- Chess grandmaster rates 7 chess scenes in movies and TV for accuracy - Insider - Insider - February 6th, 2021
- Equity derivatives house of the year: Citi - Risk.net - February 6th, 2021
- Chess Is a Netflix Star. How About Other Games? - The Wall Street Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Four Americans to Play in Third Champions Tour Event - uschess.org - February 6th, 2021
- Here are some films based on sports that are in the pipeline - The Tribune India - February 6th, 2021
- Soccer looks to AI for an edge: Could an algorithm really predict injuries? - ESPN - February 6th, 2021
- How the Queens Gambit Made Me a Better Investor - Wealth Morning - February 6th, 2021
- Nihal Sarin: Well-guided and on the right path - Sportstar - February 4th, 2021
- Shane Battier says there was no player he wanted to beat more than Kobe - Silver Screen and Roll - February 3rd, 2021
- COLUMN: Hobbies are essential in the pandemic - The Depaulia - February 1st, 2021
- Tony Romo on Super Bowl for Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes - The Athletic - February 1st, 2021