New Yorks Sex Diaries series asks anonymous city dwellers to record a week in their sex lives with comic, tragic, often sexy, and always revealing results.
Photo-Illustration: James Gallagher
This week, a woman who spends her birthday week sleeping with an ex and adding a new guy to the rotation: 25, single, London.
11 a.m. I wake up later than Id like to because my sleep routine is in ruins. Ive been averaging a bedtime of 3 a.m. and honestly I dont even have an excuse (other than being a freelance writer, which allows me to set my own schedule). I scroll through Twitter, send my friends some funny tweets, then make myself a coffee.
3 p.m. I text my favorite ex to confirm our catch-up this evening. This will be the first time Ive seen him in a year, although we have sporadically sexted. I recently got out of a chaotic fling with a graffiti artist that lasted four exhausting months and ended with him blocking me on everything except my Finsta. Tonight, Im ready for some familiar, no-strings-attached fun.
7 p.m. I am sat opposite Favorite Ex at his local pub in South London, having taken a 40-minute Uber for the occasion. Hes the funniest person Ive dated, which is evidenced by my fits of laughter that cause the tables next to us to glance over looking increasingly pissed off. Im a few gins down so I dont care. If anything, it only spurs me on.
8 p.m. We tuck into an unsexy feast of nachos loaded with guacamole and a mountain of fried chicken as we continue to catch up. He tells me about his job as a cryptocurrency journalist and recruits me to join his crypto app. I say it sounds like a pyramid scheme but fine, Im horny enough to download it. I update him about my freelance writing and occasional antiques-dealing as I shovel more nachos into my mouth.
11 p.m. After rushing out of the pub, horny Favorite Ex and I are in the elevator of his apartment building. Im pushed up against the wall and were making out while he grabs my ass. He takes me by the hand and leads me into his bedroom, stopping briefly to explain how the layout has changed since I last came round. Pushing me against the wall he pulls my trousers down and whispers I forgot how soft your skin is. We fuck against the wall.
12 a.m. Favorite Ex brings us cups of herbal tea to bed and puts Jaws on the TV. Weve no interest in being romantic; this is a relationship that ended two years ago in a pretty amicable way. Most of my relationships do. As the sleepy herbal tea starts to kick in, we have gentle missionary sex before falling asleep to the sound of a shark attack.
11 a.m. Favorite Ex and I continue the feasting at breakfast, this time opting for a fry-up at a caf down the road. Somehow theres no hangover; I put it down to the herbal tea he made me last night. We finish our coffee, he walks me to the bus stop and we go for a friendly hug. Well do this again sometime, probably in another year, I say, then embark on the long ride home.
4 p.m. My friend Christina calls to confirm our dinner plans this evening. Shes a self-confessed serial Hinge dater and for the past month things have been going well with a new guy. She asks if he can join us for dessert so I can meet him, because she trusts my judgment.
10 p.m. Christina and I are deep into a few bottles of red at dinner when her new guy arrives, sober and a little shy. Thankfully I am a very friendly drunk and immediately set out to get to know him. I admire how excited and giddy she is to see him and try to think back to when I last had that feeling. I havent dated somebody new in forever and suddenly it dawns on me that Ive just been recycling exes.
12 a.m. Ed, a sweet and very successful guy I dated briefly in 2019, texts me to say hes staying in a nearby hotel and invites me to join. Its a really nice hotel, but hes also drunk as hell and Im ready to call it a night. Christina and her new beau call an Uber together, and I get in one to go home alone.
12:30 a.m. Now that Im home, a wine-induced wave of neediness comes over me. At this point I dont even want sex; just some physical affection, and theres one person on my mind. Graffiti Guy and I ended badly, but weve been speaking most days on my Finsta reminiscing about the occasional good times (weve actually dated on and off for three years) and sexting more often than we should. I remember he has now unblocked my number so I call and he picks up. He says that he is sober and can tell that Im drunk, so coming over isnt a good idea. He is definitely right.
9 a.m. I wake up and send Graffiti Guy a text apologizing for the drunken phone call. He says not to worry, he did the same thing to me last week. I vow never to do it again but know that I probably will.
1 p.m. I chat with the one new guy on my radar over Instagram. Hes attractive, hes lovely, but unfortunately he lives in Norway. He sends me videos of his lake house and I tell him how much I love his choice in dcor.
2 p.m. This guy is so great that I practice Norwegian on Duolingo with the idea that one day Ill fly over and visit. We call each other kjre; that means honey, but weve never actually met.
7 p.m. My friend Imi and I go for dinner at a Portuguese restaurant; we havent seen each other in months. We drink a big jug of sangria, eat piri-piri chicken and despair at the fact that were both turning 25 this month. I tell her about the Norwegian, scrolling through his Instagram to show her what he looks like. Shes very encouraging and tells me about her trip to Oslo a couple of years ago. She thinks I should definitely go and visit.
10 a.m. Its the day before my birthday and Im more excited than I expected. I spent a while dreading this age, but lately Ive embraced it and even come to believe this will finally be my year, whatever that means.
1 p.m. I make a list of all the preparation that needs to be done for tomorrow; Im hosting a dinner party at my place and envisioning it looking something like the set of a Baz Luhrmann movie. There are no exes on the guest list.
5:30 p.m. I exit Whole Foods having done some minor financial damage and cradle my birthday cake the way you might a newborn. Its hot in London and Im dripping sweat on the pavement.
8:00 p.m. Christina comes over to help me set up for tomorrow. We rearrange the furniture, sweating and complaining, then reward ourselves with a glass of prosecco while she updates me about her new guy and their summer evening dates. It sounds lovely and I wouldnt mind something like that myself, but I just cant be bothered to find it.
10 p.m. Now alone, I put on Casino for the hundredth time. I douse myself in Tom Ford Vanille Fatale perfume and make a half-ditched attempt to look glamorous for myself I figure thats what Ginger McKenna would do. Casino is the type of movie that makes you want to have a cigarette so I break my no-smoking-inside rule. I always do.
9 a.m. I wake up to the influx of birthday messages and answer a call from my mum, whos singing down the phone.
11 a.m. Two guys I used to date write the exact same message (happy birthday princess), which makes me laugh, and then I receive a happy birthday angel x from a guy I slept with once last year. His name is Felix a friend of a friend I met a while ago at a party. Hes really into playing chess, hes super witty, and we text from time to time. Ive always wanted to improve at chess so I thank him and say he should come and tutor me sometime. Just say the word, he replies.
8 p.m. With everyone now at my flat, the celebrating begins. Theres enough Champagne to serve a village and Ive definitely overdone it with the food spread.
11 p.m. I love my friends so much that I passionately make out with two of them.
1 a.m. Im briefly messaging Graffiti Guy about something irrelevant (despite my friend shouting at me not to) and he hasnt even realized its my birthday. Thanks for the happy birthday you gigantic asshole I write, semi-sincerely.
4 a.m. We sing Olivia Rodrigo good 4 u, because it makes me feel 17, and my upstairs neighbors bang on my ceiling. I figure thats fair enough so I turn the volume down.
9 a.m. I wake up feeling surprisingly fresh considering we only managed three hours of sleep. A couple friends slept on the sofa so I make us all coffee and we eat leftovers for breakfast.
1 p.m. My friends leave to get a train home, and Graffiti Guy messages me to apologize for forgetting my birthday. I cant stay pissed off for long so obviously I forgive him.
9 p.m. It does not make me proud to admit that were still talking. He tells me Im the best sex hes ever had, but we acknowledge that it cant happen again because together we are a shit show. I suggest friends with benefits as an option but he says hes too possessive and protective over me for that to work.
11 p.m. I am bored of this routine and recognize its not healthy to carry on like we do, so I make the sudden decision not to speak to him again. I delete his number and send Felix a text: so when are we playing chess? He says he is free tomorrow night.
10 a.m. Lately Ive neglected all things admin, so I relish a quiet morning on my laptop sending emails.
1 p.m. Felix texts me to arrange a time for tonight and for once I feel a little bit giddy. I know he doesnt want anything serious and appreciates I dont see him that way; were just two people who want to hook up under the guise of playing chess.
8 p.m. Felix is coming in an hour and Im running extremely late. Im fresh out of a very long shower and now I cant decide what to wear. Mildly stressed, I settle for an old pair of jeans that make my ass look good then run about lighting candles. I hope he doesnt think Im trying to create a romantic setting; I do this for literally everyone.
9 p.m. With the aid of Google, I put the chess pieces on the board when the buzzer suddenly rings. I buzz him up then finish getting ready at breakneck speed. I open the door trying to look composed and there he is. Fuck, he looks amazing better than I remember. Before hes even walked in, we start kissing in the doorway.
10 p.m. We sit opposite each other at my table with the chessboard between us; unsurprisingly we havent gotten around to playing. The wine is flowing and the conversation is too. Hes genuinely very interesting but honestly, I just want to sit in his lap. Desperately contemplating how to make my move, I get up to pour us another glass in the kitchen. He must have been thinking the same because he quietly comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist. Here we go. I fling my arms around his neck and put my tongue in his mouth, then he lifts me up and sits me on the counter. Wrapping my legs around him, he picks me up again and carries me to the bedroom.
10:30 p.m. I am in the presence of what can only be described as a selfless king. His attention is focused solely on me and I realize how much Ive settled in the past for being the one doing all the work, leaving me feeling like Ive just completed a HIIT workout. Well, it is your birthday week after all, you deserve it, Felix says. As soon as we finish Im eager for round two, but in the meantime, its back to the chessboard and a glass of whiskey on the rocks.
4 a.m. Seven hours since he arrived, somehow were still talking. As the sun starts to rise we go to bed for round two, which is even better than before. Lying there in the afterglow, we agree were definitely getting a bit too good at this, and I drift off easily looking forward to waking up beside him. I usually hate sharing a bed but hey, I guess this is the power of genuinely good sex. Something tells me that after tonight, I wont be calling an ex again anytime soon.
Want to submit a sex diary? Email email@example.com and tell us a little about yourself (and read our submission termshere.)
- CodePen - CSS 3D Hartwig chess set (fully playable) - July 25th, 2021
- Chess Sets Used by Jews During the Holocaust - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 25th, 2021
- Star Trek 3D chess and more out-of-this-world ways to celebrate International Chess Day - ZDNet - July 25th, 2021
- How the game of Chess has helped mold Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux - NBC Sports - July 25th, 2021
- Indian American Abhimanyu Mishra is the youngest chess grandmaster ever - Northwest Asian Weekly - July 10th, 2021
- Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand Goes Down To Anish Giri In Croatia Grand Chess Tour - Outlook India - July 10th, 2021
- The Real Queens Gambit: Ashley Priores Nonprofit Aims To Give Women An Edge In The Male-Dominated World Of Chess - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Of Anand, simultaneous chess and the cheating controversy - The Hindu - June 28th, 2021
- Chess in The Parks held at Myrtle Park in Indian Orchard - WWLP.com - June 28th, 2021
- The Martial menagerie of King Alfonso the Wise - TheArticle - June 28th, 2021
- Carol Jarecki: From chess mom to one of the game's greatest referees - Washington Times - June 28th, 2021
- NBA Playoffs 2021: The chess match between Trae Young and the Milwaukee Bucks' defence is only beginning - NBA CA - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021