Sometimes even a shooting star can leave a permanent mark in the sky.
John Jarecki had a brief but notable chess career in the 1980s, holding the record for a time as the youngest American player to earn the title of master. But as so often happens, Jarecki decided against the life of a full-time chess player and decided to pursue other career paths.
But he would have a major impact on the game in an unexpected way through his mother. Carol Jarecki, who died June 13 at the age of 86, went from toting her kid to weekend Swisses in New Jersey to becoming one of the premier organizers and international match arbiters of the past four decades. (A nurse, a licensed pilot and with her late husband, Richard, a notable student of how to win at the roulette table, a nice summary of her remarkable life can be found at Chess Life Online).
Jarecki was an invaluable resource for this columnist at the 1995 PCA world title match at the top of the World Trade Center between Garry Kasparov and Viswanathan Anand, oversaw numerous Olympiads and U.S. national events, and was the arbiter for the celebrated second Kasparov-Deep Blue match in 1997. Her storied career is another useful reminder that our game could not exist without the people who rent the playing halls, police the boards, and update the wallcharts.
John Jarecki played some notable games in his too-brief career, and even represented the British Virgin Islands in a number of Olympiads. His best performance was at the 26th Olympiad in 1984 in Thessaloniki, Greece, going 11-3 on Board 2. He scored a nice win against Paraguayan master Alejandro Bogda, a taut Sicilian Scheveningen in which young Jareckis tactical acumen wins out in the end.
White tries to get his kingside attack rolling, but Black beats him to the counterpunch: 18. g4?! (already restraining lines such as 18. Rd1 Bf6 19. Rd3 were in order) Bf6 19. Nd1 Bh4! (alertly switching gears to exploit some combinational opportunities) 20. Nf2 d5 (the classic Sicilian freeing move, though also good was 20e5 21. g5 exf4 22. Bxf4 Nde5, with a clear edge) 21. Rd1 Bxf2, and after a series of more or less forces moves, Jarecki winds up after 26. Qf3 Qd7 with domination of the open d-file.
With a positional plus, Black does not fear the tactical complications on 27. Nd2 (a5 Qd1+ 28. Rf1 Qxf3+ 29. Rxf3 Rd1+ 30. Kg2 Nxa5) Qxa4! 28. b3 Qa1 29. Nxc4 Qxc1+ 30. Kg2 b5 31. Ne5 Nd5, emerging a clear pawn to the good. Whites desperate attempts to gin up an attack predictably backfire: 37. Ne4+ Kh8 38. Nxf5 (see diagram) Ne5! 39. Qf4 (Rxe5 Qxh2+ 40. Qh3 Qxe5), and Bogda resigned not needing to see 39Ng6+ (also cute is 39g5+! 40. Qxg5 Nf3+ and wins) 40. Kh5 Nxh4+ 41. Kh4 g5 mate.
The COVID-19 shutdown of the global chess scene came at a particularly bad time for U.S. GM Sam Shankland. Shankland had a breakthrough year at the board in 2018 including his first U.S. national championship and a dominating win in the Capablanca Memorial but has had trouble building on that success as the tournaments dried up and the game moved online.
Happily, we can report that the California GM looks to be back on track to judge from his convincing 51/2-11/2 win at the recent Prague International Chess Festival over a quality field. Its a result that will put him comfortably above the 2700-rating mark once more.
Shankland combined accuracy and aggression in a fine Four Knights English win at the event over Czech GM David Navara.
The fight for the center breaks out in earnest with 16. Nd2 Rad8 17. d4 c6 18. f4 exf4 19. gxf4 f5 20. e5 c5, and Black emerges with a slight pull given the unhappy state of Navaras bishop on b2. White compounds his problems with 25. dxc5 Bxc5 26. Qb5? (either 26. a5 or 26. Bc1, going into a defensive crouch, was indicated) Be3! 27. Rxd8 Rxd8, when 28. Bc1?? Rd1+ exposes the clumsiness of Whites set-up.
After 28. a5 Nc4 29. a6 bxa6 30. Qxa6 Bd5, Whites big pieces on the queenside are a sorry spectacle as Blacks kingside pressure builds. Shankland doesnt miss his chance: 31. Rd1 Bd2 32. Bc1 (Nxd2 Qxd1+; 32. Rxd2 Nxd2 33. Nxd2 Bxg2+34. Kxg2 Rxd2+ 35. Kg3 Qg4 mate) Kh8! (a nice bit of housekeeping to avoid any annoying checks ahead of the final assault; the tempting 32Qg4?! is bad because of 33. Rxd2 Nxd2 34. Qa5 Rd7 35. Qc5!, defending because of the threat of 36. Qc8+) 33. Rxd2 Nxd2 34. Qa5 Rd7, and White resigns as his position collapses; e.g. 35. Nxd2 (Bxd2 Bxf3 36. Qa2 Bxg2+ 37. Kxg2+ Qe2+; or 35. Qa6 Nxf3 36. Qc8+ Bg8 37. Bxf3 [Qxd7 Qxh2 mate] Qxf3+ 38. Kg1 Rd1 mate) Qd1+ 36. Nf1 Qxf1 mate.
Bogda-Jarecki, 26th Olympiad, Thessaloniki, Greece, November 1984
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Be2 Be7 7. O-O O-O 8. Be3 Nc6 9. Kh1 Qc7 10. f4 Na5 11. Qd3 a6 12. a4 Rd8 13. Rae1 b6 14. Bf3 Nc4 15. Bc1 Bb7 16. Nb3 Rac8 17. Qe2 Nd7 18. g4 Bf6 19. Nd1 Bh4 20. Nf2 d5 21. Rd1 Bxf2 22. Rxf2 dxe4 23. Bxe4 Bxe4+ 24. Qxe4 Nf6 25. Rxd8+ Rxd8 26. Qf3 Qd7 27. Nd2 Qxa4 28. b3 Qa1 29. Nxc4 Qxc1+ 30. Kg2 b5 31. Ne5 Nd5 32. f5 exf5 33. Nc6 Ne3+ 34. Kg3 Qg1+ 35. Kh4 Nxg4 36. Re2 Rf8 37. Ne7+ Kh8 38. Nxf5 Ne5 39. Qf4 and White resigns.
Navara-Shankland, Prague International Chess Festival, Prague, June 2021
1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. g3 d5 5. cxd5 Nxd5 6. Bg2 Bc5 7. O-O O-O 8. d3 Re8 9. Bg5 Nxc3 10. bxc3 f6 11. Bc1 Be6 12. Bb2 Bf8 13. Qc2 Qd7 14. Rfd1 Qf7 15. e4 Na5 16. Nd2 Rad8 17. d4 c6 18. f4 exf4 19. gxf4 f5 20. e5 c5 21. Nf3 Be7 22. Kh1 Nc4 23. Qe2 Qh5 24. a4 Nb6 25. dxc5 Bxc5 26. Qb5 Be3 27. Rxd8 Rxd8 28. a5 Nc4 29. a6 bxa6 30. Qxa6 Bd5 31. Rd1 Bd2 32. Bc1 Kh8 33. Rxd2 Nxd2 34. Qa5 Rd7 White resigns.
David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
Read more from the original source:
- CodePen - CSS 3D Hartwig chess set (fully playable) - July 25th, 2021
- Chess Sets Used by Jews During the Holocaust - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 25th, 2021
- Star Trek 3D chess and more out-of-this-world ways to celebrate International Chess Day - ZDNet - July 25th, 2021
- How the game of Chess has helped mold Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux - NBC Sports - July 25th, 2021
- Indian American Abhimanyu Mishra is the youngest chess grandmaster ever - Northwest Asian Weekly - July 10th, 2021
- Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand Goes Down To Anish Giri In Croatia Grand Chess Tour - Outlook India - July 10th, 2021
- The Real Queens Gambit: Ashley Priores Nonprofit Aims To Give Women An Edge In The Male-Dominated World Of Chess - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Of Anand, simultaneous chess and the cheating controversy - The Hindu - June 28th, 2021
- Chess in The Parks held at Myrtle Park in Indian Orchard - WWLP.com - June 28th, 2021
- The Londoner Inviting a Guy Over to Play Chess - The Cut - June 28th, 2021
- The Martial menagerie of King Alfonso the Wise - TheArticle - June 28th, 2021
- NBA Playoffs 2021: The chess match between Trae Young and the Milwaukee Bucks' defence is only beginning - NBA CA - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021