If you are into chess and bitcoin, then this upcoming tournament is likely to keep you fully entertained.
Some of the worlds biggest and best chess players are gathering to play for a massive, six-figure bitcoin prize. The competition will feature as many as 16 grandmasters including the top ten chess players in the world to battle each other on the board and possibly get their hands on a massive crypto prize.
The contest is known as the FTX Crypto Cup. The winner of the championship will be entitled to approximately $220,000 plus an additional $100,000 in BTC. The event is sponsored by leading digital currency exchange FTX, which is also providing the BTC reward. The entire competition is also set to take place completely online, making this the largest-ever prize for such an event.
Sadly, things are already off to a rocky start as the bitcoin prize has since fallen to about $81,000 at press time given the volatile nature of the cryptocurrency. Chess is all about strategy; you decide your moves in your head and locate your pieces accordingly. You may have to change things around here and there to stay in the game, but for the most part, the best chess players typically see the game fully played out in their heads before they ever sit down to move their first pawn.
Bitcoin, on the other hand, is an entirely unpredictable asset that can go up or down at a moments notice. The currency is presently experiencing one of its most volatile phases ever, having skyrocketed to about $64,000 per unit in April only to fall to about $37,000 at the time of writing. This is a loss of nearly $30,000 in just a matter of weeks and marks the biggest dip the currency has ever experienced in its 12-year history.
There was a time when the $100,000 bonus fell below $70,000 and considering play time is set to last through May 31, there are still windows here and there for the master left standing to experience a solid dip in his or her winnings.
While bitcoin has garnered quite a bit of respect over the past year, the currency still attracts heavy notoriety given its consistent price swings. Bitcoin like many crypto assets was initially designed to serve as a payment tool that would knock credit cards and fiat currencies to the side. Unfortunately, its volatile nature has made many stores and retailers think twice about potential crypto payments. Thus, only a select few such as Overstock.com have said yes over the years.
A huge blow was dealt to crypto fans everywhere not too long ago when Tesla decided it would suspend its decision to permit bitcoin payments for all company-based goods and services due to concerns about the mining process.
Read this article:
- Veteran chess player teaches patience and strategy with Labor Day weekend tournament - WPTV.com - September 4th, 2021
- Chess federation to host tournament Oct. 3 at Ypao Beach - The Guam Daily Post - September 4th, 2021
- 100 Women Who Care NPO needs sponsors to host a chess tournament - Midrand Reporter - September 4th, 2021
- Kids run, a chess tournament and new kid space at ETHS - Knox TN Today - August 23rd, 2021
- Fiji Chess gears up for another online tournament - FBC News - August 9th, 2021
- Dobbs Ferry Chess Champion Competing in National Tournament - The Hudson Indy Westchester's Rivertowns News - - The Hudson Independent - July 25th, 2021
- Chess: Viswanathan Anand to return to over-the-board action after a year with Croatia tournament - Scroll.in - July 10th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 4 Winners ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 3 Winners In Final ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Tournaments, Tech Giants And $100,000 In Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - June 28th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency : World chess tournament will award bitcoin to its winners Explica .co - Explica - May 30th, 2021
- How 9-year-old Delhi Boy Raised Funds in Online Chess Tournament to Aid Covid Relief Efforts - Yahoo India News - May 30th, 2021
- Two grandmasters will play in the "European Parliamentary Friendship Online Chess Tournament" - Chessbase News - April 21st, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: Giri Strikes, Moves Into Second-Place Tie - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- Invitational chess tournament to be held in Benin for IDSDP | sportanddev.org - sportanddev.org - April 5th, 2021
- Open Air Chess Tournament at Sugar Land Town Square - 365 Things to Do in Houston - March 9th, 2021
- Back in the game: Karpov to play classical tournament in Malm - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- All or nothing: How Wijk aan Zee pulled off its 'most challenging' chess tournament - ESPN - February 3rd, 2021
- Success at Satu Mare in the online national chess tournament for the age group - CampusLATELY - January 26th, 2021
- First ever Barak Valley Open Chess Tournament kickstarts in Silchar - Barak Bulletin - January 26th, 2021
- Another weekend on-line chess tournament - Sunday Observer - January 25th, 2021
- World famous Hastings chess tournament takes place this weekend - Hastings Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Rook No Further! Coral Springs Holds Open Play Chess and Tournament - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - January 6th, 2021
- Azeri-Jewish Chess Grandmaster Radjabov in tears after winning tournament - The Jerusalem Post - January 6th, 2021
- Beccacece and a chess tournament with the Racing kids - Inspired Traveler - December 16th, 2020
- Young Chess Stars Meet in a Winner Take All Tournament Checkmate! - The Zebra - December 9th, 2020
- For the love of the game: Tournament chess returns to Virginia, pandemic or not - WTOP - November 16th, 2020
- Costumed players bring success for first Chess Halloween Tournament - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - November 6th, 2020
- 14-year-old Mendonca wins chess tournament in Hungary - The Tribune India - October 28th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Postponed Until Spring 2021 - Chess.com - October 17th, 2020
- How To Play In US Chess Online Rated Tournaments - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- CCPS hosting in-person chess tournament, limited to students in Grades 4-12 - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - October 7th, 2020
- Irshad Mohammed walks away with top spot in latest round of chess tournament - Stabroek News - October 7th, 2020
- On Chess: Returning To Over The Board Chess Tournaments - St. Louis Public Radio - October 3rd, 2020
- So Leads Saint Louis Tournament Before Blitz Games - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Resumes November 1 - Chess.com - September 9th, 2020
- Forks The final of the chess value tournament ended with a historic title distribution due to a server problem - Pledge Times - September 1st, 2020
- The United States Chess Federation - Clubs & Tournaments - August 21st, 2020
- Norway Chess to be 1st over-the-board super-tournament since March - chess24 - August 19th, 2020
- Chess Tournaments Calendar: July 2020 - Chess.com - August 15th, 2020
- Fishbein, Park, Liang, and Xie win at Tournaments of State Champions - uschess.org - August 12th, 2020
- Hikaru to host Chess tournament headlined by xQc, IWillDominate - Dot Esports - August 11th, 2020
- Leon Mendonca wins on board chess tournament in Hungary - The Hindu - June 24th, 2020
- The International Tournament in Bamberg starts! - Chessbase News - June 24th, 2020
- Chess Lovers in the Costa del Sol Unite as Malaga Will Host an Online Tournament This Saturday - Euro Weekly News - June 24th, 2020