Let me look real quick and show you. I gots the joints here, said Jazz Cartier, smiling widely while thumbing through his phone. No, he wasnt talking about new music, but instead virtual backgrounds during a recent Zoom interview with Complex Canada. And just like that, his L.A. living room was replaced by a red and white chessboard background on the video call that, coincidentally, matched the baseball hat he was wearing from Toronto brand Adidem Asterisks*.
The chessboard background is also fitting because the swiftly ascending Toronto-born rapper is working on a docu-series, in collaboration with rap legend Diddy and Compton MC Buddy, in which he tries to checkmate fellow rappers like Tierra Whack and Logic. The project finds Jazz turning a quarantine hobby into what he hopes will be an inspiration to a whole generation of Black kids that look like us, and listen to the same music we do. We can show them they can play chess as well, thatits not just a sport for people of other races.
His quick-witted decision to put up the chessboard background on Zoom is also in keeping with the tone of Nothin 2 Me, Jazzs recently released single with beloved Boston rapper Cousin Stizz. The singlelike the rest of his forthcoming follow-up to his acclaimed 2018 debut Fleurever, which he says should drop before this summerfinds Jazz just having more fun this go-around. Because sometimes I just get too in my head, and overthink things. That sentiment also carries over to his demeanor in-conversation, during which he is good-humored, down to earth, and as deep-voiced and thoughtful as he is on wax, but also softer spoken and quicker to crack wise.
Below, Jazz Cartier tells us about working with Diddy, relocating to L.A., and starting a skincare line, before breaking down his writing process, shouting out his favorite Toronto up-and-comers, and much more.
What was it like to work with Cousin Stizz on Nothin 2 Me?Stizz has been a very good friend of mine for the past six years. We have a lot of songs together that have not come out. But we both loved this one a lot he was fuckin with it, I was fuckin with it, and we just put it out.Hes one of my favorite artists because of his storytelling, and his overall delivery. Knowing him as a person, I can confirm: the things he raps about are super authentic.
Will this song appear on your next album?Most definitely.
What else can you tell us about the new album, and how it is a progression from Fleurever?Its been three years since Fleurever. Ive definitely improved my rapping, song making, and overall craft and delivery. I also just like to have more fun this go-around. Because sometimes I just get too in my head, and overthink things. My best in the studio occurs when I have fun. So its a collection of me having the best time possible on all the records.
Thats because people can sense when things are overthought, and not authentic. Too put-together, ya feel me? There has to be some sense of joy in the craft, for people to enjoy it. These are just things Ive learned from being in LA, being in a lot of studio sessions, and seeing which songs come out and which songs dont. The ones that do come out are the ones that start with everyone just fucking around, and it turns out to be something great.
A moment ago you talked about how your craft has improved. How did you achieve that?Surrounding myself with amazing rappers. That definitely helps. I rap every single day of my life. I was in the studio until 3 a.m. last night. Any given night I can be in six studios. Someone might have a session, then youll bounce back to someone elses. And you have to always be ready. I got a phone call the other day for a pretty big assignment to write for someone, and they needed a verse that night, in like six hours. I stay ready at all times.
Does that pressure make you the best you can be? Or can it be overwhelming?This is what we dream of, you know? Itd be stupid to fold, now that you made it this far.
How has L.A. compared to your expectations?People say L.A. is fake, but theyre around people that moved here. A lot of my friends are L.A. natives. So my experience is a lot more authentic. Im grateful that Im surrounded by people that can show me what L.A. culture really is. I love it, and wouldnt change it for anything.
Were definitely tapping into the chess world, and excited to inspire a whole generation of Black kids that look like us, and listen to the same music we do. We can show them they can play chess as well, thats its not just a sport for people of other races.
And are those native Angelino collaborators excited to work with you, given how hot Toronto rap is now?Yeah, Im like a little dose of something from across the water. Im always an asset in every room Im inpersonality-wise, music-wise, and just giving a different perspective.
Let me ask you a question: will this be a video interview, or a written one?
Written. Im recording our Zoom call to transcribe the audio later.Good, cause I started off lying down on my sofa, and now Im up walking around. Wouldnt have looked good. So, just trying to make sure.
I appreciate you being so conscientious!And is that a virtual Zoom background ya got there?
It is. My real walls are ugly.Ill have to get a background on mine too. Hold on, hold on. Let me look real quick and show you. I gots the joints. [Searches on his phone.]We gonna do a good one. Ya know what? Im gonna do the chessboard. [A red and white vertical chess board pops up as Jazzs background.]
Speaking of which: I wanted to ask you about the new chess series youre working on.Yeah! We played chess at the crib throughout the whole pandemic to pass time and clear our minds, and just to get inspired. And we got deeper and deeper into it, learning openings, counter attacks and strategies. We just developed this community of artists that play chess. Through posting a lot of our matches on Instagram, we got an opportunity to create a TV show about it. Well actually start shooting it this Saturday. Diddy is definitely a partner of mine on the show. Im excited for the world to see it. And thats about as much as I can say about it right now. But were definitely tapping into the chess world, and excited to inspire a whole generation of Black kids that look like us, and listen to the same music we do. We can show them they can play chess as well, thats its not just a sport for people of other races.
Did you grow up playing, or pick it up cold during the pandemic?I was in a chess club when I was like in second or third grade. So I knew how the pieces worked. But I didnt get too deep into it. Not until the start of the pandemic. Then I locked in, was on chess.com, playing people across the world. It gave me the opportunity to connect with other people. Then we started getting really competitiveplaying with clocks, some days playing four games simultaneously, even putting money games. Sometimes wed wager close to a thousand dollars. Were kind of ridiculous in that sense. I wouldnt recommend anyone doing that. [Grins.]
So is it like the Queens Gambit of rap?Yes, exactly. Buddys a part of the show. Logic cant make the Saturday shoot, but hes coming up Sunday. We definitely have some cool guests on the show that youll be able to see when it comes out.
Which of you gets the most checkmates?I dont want to toot my own horn. But I definitely hold my own.
Does Diddy play as well?We spoke earlier this week. He knows of the game, but he wants us to give him a couple of lessons first, to help him be the best player he can be.
I cant fathom what Diddy is like in person, because hes such an icon. What impression has he left on you?Hes Diddy, man. Just the way youd imagine him to be. Hes the same off-camera as he is on-camera. Hes got that same drive hes always been known for, and is definitely a forward thinker. And hes just excited to see guys like us tap into a whole new space that needs to get shaken up a bit. And hes all for that.
My mom grew up playing Diddy, he was pretty much all I heard in my household. She put me on game. For me to even be in cahoots with him is pretty full circle.
And like Diddy youre diversifying crazilyIve heard you have a skincare line coming out?I actually get my samples for it tomorrow. Im super excited. Been working on it for the past few months. Im not going to say an exact date, but itll come out soon. Im super into skincare, and my biggest goal is to provide the same sort of luxury as the expensive brands, but make it affordable and eco-friendly.
Is this also an opportunity to educate guys who arent up on skincare? A few friends and I were joking recently, for instance, because one of the males in our group admitted to washing his face with dish soap when he was in a hurry. Much to the horror of the women present.Wait, we cant skip over your friend washing his face with dish soap. Im going to pray for that man. Send his name to my publicist, and when the products come in, Im going to send him pack.
My mom always instilled in me: You can treat your body like a hooptie or a Bentley. I want to treat my body like a Bentley with what I put into it, how I treat my outer body, and so on. Self-care is super important for your mental health, and overall mood toward everything. So this male narrative that youre too macho to take care of your skin is outdated, and we need to start rewriting that for the generation behind us. Because what girl wants to talk to a guy with bad skin?
Are we talking lotions and creams?The whole thing: cleanser, moisturizer, serum. And thats just the start. Thats all Im gonna say.
And is it too soon, or can you tell us what its called?Hell no. [Laughs.] Not yet. But youll find out soon.
Is Diddy one of your inspirations when it comes to being so entrepreneurial?Definitely. My mom grew up playing Diddy, he was pretty much all I heard in my household. She put me on game. For me to even be in cahoots with him is pretty full circle. Shes pretty excited. Hes an inspiration, so is Jay-Z. The music is just one vessel of expression that we choose to get into. Im not going to limit myself to music. The chess show and the skincare line are a start, and I have other ideas as well. Im just planting seeds for the next five to ten years.
Aside from the creative benefits, that also sounds smart financially.God yeah. Im trying to get to the chicken. Ya feel me? A big lesson I got from this past year is to be more financially literate. Ive always been into crypto, but got even more into it this past year, and made some solid investments. I want to make even bigger ones, and take bigger risks. And also find ways to give back. Thats the biggest lesson in life: do what you want to do, make a good living off it, and give back, so that it comes full circle.
Do you take an equally socially conscious approach with your music?Im not trying to save the world. Im trying to inspire. People who listen can change the world, by all means. Thats my contribution.
Can I ask about other collaborators on your new album, and if they have inspired you like you just described?Nah. [Laughs.] Too soon. But the albums coming soon. Were finishing the mixes now. The world should be able to hear it before summer.
Thats exciting! So if its too soon to further talk about the new album, how about some of the best tracks from Fleurever? Like your song Function, with lyrics about a girl who got plenty options and doesnt care about designer brands. How does it feel to lift your female listeners up, especially given the criticism rap has received over the years for misogyny?Its just some real shit. The brands you wear dont make you any better than the next person. I met some of the realest women that dont care about all that shit. So the song is just a real observation.
And what inspired your lyric about praying for missing girls on Soul Searcher?That song was such an out of body experience, because as much as I wrote it, it also just came to me. It was just me, reflecting. I was on my way to the studio but took a detour, and drove around my old neighborhood back home. I took the TTC that day, just to clear my head. The whole verse was just me being as real as I can be, so that people can understand its OKto have flaws. And, at the end of the day, Im still soul searching.
Do you often feel like songs just come to you, or is it usually a more active approach?It varies. With my newer stuff, everything just came to me in the studio. Either in the moment, or I did mumbles and came back after listening to it for three days, and the words just came when I got back to the studio. And I just put it down.
Do you have favorite notebooks or pens to write with, or do you just write on your phone? Or is it off the dome, like Jay-Z?I definitely come off the head. But I also keep notebooks, for reflection purposes only. Ill write down how my days went. Or every birthday Ill write down how Im feeling, both the eve of and the day of. That way I can circle back, and pinpoint how I was feeling on certain days. Which definitely helps with music.
Did you have a mentor that taught you that process?I just came up with it over time. I learned everything as I went. I wish Id had a mentor.
On the flipside: are there young artists that youve taken under your wing?Im still close with a lot of young kids coming up back home. Every young artist Im fucking with, if they have a song out Im always sending it to the right people to get it heard, whether they know about it or not, to help them out.
I really like Duvy a lot. I should be careful, Im going to miss people. Also Jugger. Ill leave it that.Im also always wearing Toronto brands. This is an Adidem Asterisks* hat.[Reaches up, grabs baseball hat by the brim and tips it back.]And this is a Going Ghost In the Suburbs sweater, and this is a Never Again Almost Guilty T-shirt. Thats because my sole purpose is to push Toronto forward as much as I can.
Go here to read the rest:
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021
- Recruiting Chess Match: Huskies Have Missouri TE on Their Board - Sports Illustrated - February 15th, 2021
- xQc Is Going to Use His Expensive New PC to Play Chess and Browser Games - EssentiallySports - February 15th, 2021
- Our Collective Chess Match: What Our Editors Are Reading - Sojourners - February 15th, 2021
- Advanced chess with John Gallagher | Calendar | scarsdalenews.com - scarsdalenews.com - February 15th, 2021
- Across the MMA Universe: Kamaru Usman on UFC 258 'Chess Match' - Bleacher Report - February 15th, 2021
- More than 140 inmates will participate in virtual Chess Tournament - Dominican Today - February 15th, 2021
- Young Canadian chess stars lead drive to popularize the royal game on Twitch - Ottawa Citizen - February 15th, 2021
- University of Texas wins Kasparov Chess Foundation University Cup - Chessbase News - February 15th, 2021