One looks in vain for French players in the lineup of the French club Clichy Echecs 92. Two young players Jorden van Foreest and Parham Maghsoodloo have been very successful so far ontop boards, which perhaps supports the thesis that online rapid chess is something that favoursplayers of this generation.
The municipality of Deizisau in the Esslingen district is located a few kilometres southeast of Stuttgart. Anyone who has followed the German Chess League closely in recent years knows that the Schachfreunde Deizisau squad counts withmany young players in itsranks. Bluebaum, Donchenko andKeymerall play for the SF Deizisau.
There are no weakerplayers at all in this final all-play-all phase. A look at the names in the remaining teamsshows how difficult it will be forClichy and Deizisau to keep the lead in the second half of the finals.
Mednyi Vsadnikis made up exclusively of Russian top grandmasters, led by Vladimir Fedoseev; Novy Borhas David Navara and Radoslaw Wojtaszek reinforced by the Indians Harikrishna, Vidit and Sasikiran; and the Poland Husarsare led by Polish starJan-Krzysztof Duda. These three teams have five matchpoints each. They are followed by Odlar Yurdu, led byShakhriyar Mamedyarov, and Hamburger SK,both with four matchpoints.
Find all results at Chess-Results
In the game below, 23-year-old Matthias Bluebaum defeated35-year-old chess superstar Shakhriyar Mamedyarov asthe latter blunderedhis queen in one move. Thanks to this full point, SF Deizisau won the team match against Odlar Yurdu.
Bluebaum, M. (2670) - Mamedyarov, S. (2770)EOC-ch-Final 2021 Online (3.9)
1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e3 g6 4.c4 Bg7 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4
Fighting the Grnfeld with g3
The Grnfeld Defence was invented by the famous Austrian Grandmaster Ernst Grnfeld in the early twenties of the last century. One of the first reactions to it came from the great Akiba Rubinstein - the g3 system, fianchettoing the bishop to g2. After that many systems were tried to refute the Grnfeld and nothing really worked. So, Rubinstein's recipe remains a very important positional approach against this dynamic opening.
In contrast to the normalGruenfeldDefence, White e-pawn has reachede4 in two steps. On the other hand, White has the advantage that the black knight cannot exchange comfortably on c3, but must first head for a weaker spot onb6.
6...Nb6 7.h3 0-0 8.Nc3 c5 9.Be3 cxd4 10.Nxd4 Bd7 11.Be2 Nc6 12.0-0
But,of course, it was all correct and so the position is balanced.
12...Rc8 13.Nb3 Ne5 14.Nc5 Bc6 15.Qb3 e6?!
However, this move by Black seems to be a bit slow.
[With 15...Ned7 Black would have better dealt with the knignt on c5.]
16.a4! White has the initiative and gains space.
[Here 17.Nb5 was strong.]
17...Nbd7 18.Nxd7 Nxd7 19.Nb5 Bxb5 20.Qxb5 a6 21.Qb4 Nb8!
Realizing an Advantage
Its a problem every player encounters when he stands better in a game: how to convert his plus into a full point? In this DVD the author answers this difficult question of chess strategy, considering both the psychological aspects of the realisation of an advantage and the technical methods.
Whites initiative has fizzled out again.
22.Rfc1 Nc6 23.Qa3 Qe5 24.Rc5 Qxe4 25.Bf3 Qh4 26.Rac1 Rb8 27.R1c4
In this position, which is actually very acceptable for him, Mamedyarov now makes a bad blunders 27...Nd4??
[Correct was 27...Qd8=]
The black queen is trapped. 1-0
Hamburg SK in turn beat the strong Novy Bor. Responsible for this was the impressive endgame performance of Julian Kramer against Czech star David Navara on board 4:
Navara,David (2697) - Kramer,Julian (2419)EOC-ch-Final 2021 Online (3.16)
1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e3 g6 6.Qb3 Nb4 7.Ne4 Qd5 8.Qxd5 Nxd5 9.Nxc5 Nb4 10.Bb5+ N8c6 11.0-0 e5 12.d4 a6 13.Ba4 Bxc5 14.dxc5 Nd3 15.Rd1 e4 16.Nd2 f5 17.Nc4 Nxc5 18.Bxc6+ bxc6
A critical position has been reached. Black, who had not handled the opening well, has regained the pawn with a lot of effort, but is still not in a good position.
19.b3?! But this is not the best move: White allows the return of the black knight to d3 usually not a good omen.
[19.Ne5! and only later b2-b3 would have given Whitequite a largeadvantage.]
And now the white advantage is completely gone.
[Consistent would have been the elimination of the intruder with20.Nb2!]
20...Be6 21.Nd6+ Kd7 22.f3 Bd5 23.fxe4 fxe4 24.Rf1 a5 25.Nf7 Rhe8 26.Ng5 Rh8 27.Rf6 a4 28.b4 Rhf8 29.Nxh7 Rxf6 30.Nxf6+ Ke6 31.Nxd5 Kxd5 32.Rf1 Rb8
Blacks excellent, well-centred position fully compensates forthe sacrificed pawn.
33.Rf6 Ne5 34.b5?
White wants to improve the coordination of his pieces, but it doesnt work.
[Better was 34.Bb2]
Crushing Isolated Queen's Pawn Tactics
The aim of this DVD is to offer the viewer tactical exercises that also illustrate the attacking prospects within IQP positions. The content of the DVD emphasizes the importance of understanding this type of pawn structure.
This intermediate move gives Black a nice advantage for obvious reasons.
35.Be7 cxb5 36.Rxg6
After this move the game should be lost for White.
[With 36.Bb4 the black pawns would have been stopped for the time being.]
The pawns are rolling!
37.Ra6 b3 38.axb3 axb3 39.Bf6 b2
40.Bxb2 Rxb2 41.h4 Nxe3 42.Rg6 Ke5 43.h5 Kf5 44.Kh2 Rb3 45.g3 Ng4+ 46.Kh3 Ne5 47.Rg8 e3 48.Rf8+ Ke4 49.Rf4+ Kd3 50.Rf5 Rb5 51.Rf1 e2 52.Ra1 Ke3 53.h6 Nf3 54.g4 Kf2 55.g5 Nxg5+ 56.Kg4 Nf3 57.h7 Rg5+ 58.Kf4 Rh5
59.Rh1 Rxh1 0-1
Read this article:
- Grand Chess Tour Returns to Board With Superbet Classic in Romania - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- Abhimanyu Mishra: World's youngest grandmaster in the making - THE WEEK - June 11th, 2021
- Catch The Clash's grand champions in today's episode of 'Rise Up Stronger: The Road to NCAA Season 96' - GMA Network - June 11th, 2021
- Chess on the water at Hempel World Cup Series - Allianz Regatta - International Sailing Federation - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan to battle Viswanathan Anand in a game of chess to raise money for fighting Covid-19 - The Indian Express - June 11th, 2021
- Asian Zonal Hybrid Chess Ranindu wins to reach third place - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - June 11th, 2021
- FTX Crypto Cup: Caruana wins the prelims, Carlsen and Nepo qualify - Chessbase News - May 30th, 2021
- Throwback Thursday: Ivanchuk wins the 2016 World Rapid Championship - Chessbase News - May 18th, 2021
- Anish Giri wins the Mr Dodgy Invitational again! - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- US Trainer Khachiyan Recognized by FIDE, Wins First Liu Wenzhe Award - uschess.org - May 18th, 2021
- Coronavirus | Good response to GMs moves - The Hindu - May 18th, 2021
- MDI 2, Day 2: Jobava dances to win over Grischuk - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- On chess: Grandmaster Ian Nepomniachtchi Wins FIDE Candidates, Qualifying To Face face Magnus Carlsen In The World Chess Championship - St. Louis... - May 5th, 2021
- How NOT To Improve At Chess - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Editors Picks: 11 Events for Your Calendar This Week, From a Chess Grandmaster at the Rubin to a Modern Spin on Artemisia Gentileschi - artnet News - May 5th, 2021
- Let's talk about the Candidates... with Eric van Reem and Jonathan Tisdall - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- The Mind Hack Will Smith Uses to Stay Focused and Motivated - menshealth.com - May 5th, 2021
- Nepomniachtchi: 'I Don't Have The Tendency To Downgrade Myself' - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- The Armageddon of cancel culture - TheArticle - May 5th, 2021
- Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Candidates Round 14: Ding, MVL and Alekseenko finish on a high note - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- World #6 chess grandmaster compares watching esports to watching chess - PC Gamer - April 21st, 2021
- Worth the Wait in Gold: Caruana Wins in Candidates Restart - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- Will Smith Reveals His Favorite Moment From 'The Pursuit of Happyness' - Yahoo Entertainment - April 21st, 2021
- Square Off is a smart chessboard that lets you challenge opponents anywhere - Boing Boing - April 21st, 2021
- Lime and its competitors plan to flood parts of NYC with e-scooters - Mashable - April 21st, 2021
- Rising Through The Ranks: Queens 12-Year-Old Has Eyes On One Day Being Chess Grandmaster - CBS New York - April 5th, 2021
- Explained: Can Grandmasters cheat in online chess and get away? - The Indian Express - April 5th, 2021
- an ode to chess - The Brown Daily Herald - April 5th, 2021
- FIDE World University Championship Participants Disqualified Without 'Proof Of Actual Cheating' - Chess.com - April 5th, 2021
- BINGE IT!: Netflix's 'The Queen's Gambit' teaches the game of life through chess - WALB - April 5th, 2021
- On Chess: Online Chess Interest Soars Since The Start Of The Pandemic - St. Louis Public Radio - April 5th, 2021
- Instructive endgames from the European Club Cup - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- The Meeple Guild: Chess in Canada: Part II - Yorkton This Week - April 5th, 2021
- Chess: Guildford, unbeaten for eight years, find the strongest ever Eurocup a bridge too far - Financial Times - April 5th, 2021
- IBM's New Debater AI is a Terrible Idea, Here's Why - Digital Information World - April 5th, 2021
- Go From Chess Beginner To Master With This Mega Bundle Of Courses, Now Less Than $40 - IGN Southeast Asia - February 20th, 2021
- AI mistakes black and white chess chat for racism - The Independent - February 20th, 2021
- This aluminum chessboard and its iconic chess pieces have been crafted for the millennial grandmasters - Yanko Design - February 17th, 2021
- AICF to start Indian Chess League - The Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Why our relationship with young achievers is so complicated - BBC News - February 17th, 2021
- Chess: Wesley So notches another title at world No. 1 Magnus Carlsens expense - ABS-CBN News - February 17th, 2021
- Were all content businesses: esports orgs borrow from the media owners playbook in search for new revenues - Digiday - February 15th, 2021
- Titled Tuesday: Svidler Winning With Grunfeld - Chess.com - February 12th, 2021
- A chess game without chess - Knight's Retreat is now on Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4 and Switch - TheXboxHub - February 12th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit and The Modern Era of Chess - The Oberlin Review - February 12th, 2021
- Opera Euro Rapid QF: Carlsen, So and MVL off to winning starts - Chessbase News - February 12th, 2021
- Fat Fritz 2: The Best of Both Worlds - Chessbase News - February 12th, 2021
- Morning sports update: Bart Scott thinks Patriots fans will run Bill Belichick out of town without quarterback fix - Boston.com - February 12th, 2021
- LeBron James' longevity and consistency will define him in the end as Los Angeles Lakers push for another title - Sky Sports - February 12th, 2021
- Loving the Alien | chess24.com - chess24 - February 10th, 2021
- Levon Aronian's mother speaks in defense of her son - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - February 10th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit: Why Beth Ending Up Single Was The Best Choice - Screen Rant - February 7th, 2021
- Chess grandmaster rates 7 chess scenes in movies and TV for accuracy - Insider - Insider - February 6th, 2021
- Equity derivatives house of the year: Citi - Risk.net - February 6th, 2021
- Chess Is a Netflix Star. How About Other Games? - The Wall Street Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Four Americans to Play in Third Champions Tour Event - uschess.org - February 6th, 2021
- Here are some films based on sports that are in the pipeline - The Tribune India - February 6th, 2021
- Soccer looks to AI for an edge: Could an algorithm really predict injuries? - ESPN - February 6th, 2021
- How the Queens Gambit Made Me a Better Investor - Wealth Morning - February 6th, 2021
- Nihal Sarin: Well-guided and on the right path - Sportstar - February 4th, 2021
- Shane Battier says there was no player he wanted to beat more than Kobe - Silver Screen and Roll - February 3rd, 2021
- COLUMN: Hobbies are essential in the pandemic - The Depaulia - February 1st, 2021
- Tony Romo on Super Bowl for Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes - The Athletic - February 1st, 2021
- What Thanos Black Order Did After His Death in the Comics - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2021
- 15 People Whose IQs Are Higher Than Albert Einstein's and What They Do For a Living - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 28th, 2021
- Chess: Carlsen loses to 18-year-old Russian as a new generation surges at Wijk - Financial Times - January 26th, 2021
- Niemann on Earning the GM Title | US Chess.org - uschess.org - January 26th, 2021
- The ultimate Grandmaster | Opinion | kelownadailycourier.ca - The Daily Courier - January 26th, 2021
- "The game of the lady" on Netflix, "Grandmaster" for chess players - Vaughan Today - January 25th, 2021
- Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival 2021 hosts Checkmate with World Champion Viswanathan Anand in conversation with Boria Majumder - United News of... - January 25th, 2021
- Nano Dimension Appoints Dr. Eli David to the Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Nano Dimension Appoints Dr. Eli David to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - January 23rd, 2021
- What does it take to be a grandmaster chess champion? | Watch News Videos Online - Globalnews.ca - January 20th, 2021
- Who are the Botez Sisters, one of chess's most popular streamers? - Sports Interactive Network Philippines - January 20th, 2021
- Pop artist Keith Haring exhibit now on display at the St. Louis World Chess Hall of Fame - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - January 20th, 2021
- The best make a welcome return to the chessboard - Washington Times - January 20th, 2021
- How to learn chess online: Beef up your skills with these courses - Mashable - January 20th, 2021
- This wooden chess, checkers, and backgammon set will definitely class up your game night - Boing Boing - January 20th, 2021
- Soviet humour and the Great Yoghurt Gambit - TheArticle - January 20th, 2021