With a Triple J Unearthed bio which reads: Shorter than Alicia Keys. Adele with attitude. Beyonc but chilled. Sass, soul, and a voice to eat you up, Marissa Saroca is a force to be reckoned with.
An accomplished singer, musician, songwriter, actor and vocal coach, with extensive live and studio experience locally and internationally, Marissa has released two original albums, was on the first season of The Voice of the Philippines, and has a Bachelor of Communication with a major in sound and media production.
Shes delighted to report her next major role involves smashing down gender and race stereotypes all while having a monumental performance experience.
Marissa will star as The Arbiter in the upcoming mega production of Chess: The Musical at the Civic Theatre in Newcastle from 26 February.
The Arbiter in Chess is President of the International Chess Federation and the tournaments referee. It comes as no surprise the role is traditionally played by a male. In fact, this is the first Australian production to feature a woman in the role.
Ive had lots of conversations with Dan Wilson [musical director] and Daniel Stoddart [producer] in recent years about how problematic the theatre industry can be in relation to the number of strong, inspiring roles for females, said Marissa.
I believe we can and must do better. At a time when were striving to change gender binary societal norms, its fundamentally wrong to continually see stereotypical roles on stage.
I was delighted when Erin James [director] and Dan Wilson offered me the role of The Arbiter. A woman of colour taking on such a powerful role is everything. Mine is the first voice to be heard on stage. As the narrator, I control the story and it is a monumental story to control. In that opening scene, I have to set up the whole world we are about to be immersed in, there is no room for me to be anything but powerful and purposeful when setting the tone for this powerhouse production.
Its brilliant that I was heard by my peers, that Dan and Daniel listened and acted and together we are making a valid and important point about traditional casting.
Chess: The Musical was originally set to open on Friday 27 March 2020 exactly two weeks after that fateful Friday the 13th when the first lockdown announcements were made. Given the starring role of Anatoly in Chess was being played by David Harris, who was due to step onto a plane from New York that weekend, the producers had no choice but to announce the shows postponement boldly declaring it would be: Check, not checkmate!.
Marissa said it was the first of many cancellations and postponements, completely upending the year of performance she had planned.
Left with no choice but to take stock and, once restrictions started to lift, put herself back out there, Marissa resigned herself to an unknown period devoid of performance opportunities.
Fortunately, the downtime didnt last and in late 2020, the dream news was delivered she had secured her first professional role in a Sydney production. Not just any show but the smash hit RENT, which would go on to play a sell-out season at the Sydney Opera House throughout January this year.
As is so often the case, the 2020 postponement of Chess was a blessing in disguise. Marissa said it gave her time to grow exponentially as a performer in a relatively short space of time.
Im eternally grateful for that space in which I was able to undertake so much intensive training, improve my performance and my stage presence, said Marissa.
Its given me even more belief in my ability to take on such a strong role as The Arbiter. I can trust in myself and make it my own.
With so few examples of the role being played by a female, there arent many recordings for me to refer to, so its meant Ive really had to step up and define the character myself. Under the expert guidance of our director Erin James and musical director Dan Wilson (who had to rewrite the charts), its a challenge Ive relished.
I hope directors and producers who see this performance take note of how easy it is to break out of the predictable and challenge their entrenched binary casting practices, added Marissa.
Marissa Saroca (she/her) started her career as a professional singer and musician whilst training at the Newcastle Conservatorium of Music. She has an extensive recording, coaching, and live performance career nationally and internationally.An in-demand session singer, as an independent artist Marissa, has released two albums of original music Cheaper Than Therapy(2008) andBoys Write Love Songs Too(2012). Marissas work in musical theatre began in her hometown of Newcastle, Australia, with lead rolesas Maureen inRENT and Gabriella inHigh School Musical. She played QueenKnekaplei in the newwork in developmentBetween Worlds, presented at ATYP. Her first play was for Knock & Run Theatres Ajax in Iraq in 2018. In 2013, Marissa moved to the Philippines when she successfully auditioned to participate in the blind auditions for The Voice of the Philippines. She was chosen by Lea Salonga for Team Lea and post-competition performed in featured ensemble roles inGhost andShrek in Manila (ATEG). Earlier this year, Marissa was featured in the Ensemble of RENT at the Sydney Opera House, andis currently in pre-production for her third original album. Marissa is the proud daughter of a Filipino immigrant and is excited for a future of more diverse representation and accessibility within the industry. She is an active member of Musicians Australia (MEAA).Marissa honours Awabakal and Worimi Land where she was born, grew up on, and is currently living. Always Was, Always Will Be.
From the dream team who brought you 2019s smash hit Mamma Mia!, The Very Popular Theatre Company returns to Newcastles Civic Theatre with their epic production of CHESS: The Musical.
Written in 1984 by ABBA songwriters, Benny and Bjrn, and world-renowned lyricist, Sir Tim Rice, CHESS tells a story of love and political intrigue, set against the background of the Cold War.
Starring musical theatre powerhouses Silvie Paladino and David Harris, the production was originally intended to open on 27 March last year exactly two weeks after that fateful Friday the 13th, when the first lockdown was announced. Rapid fire negotiations with cast and crew took place before the declaration was made later that day, that it would be check, not checkmate for the show.
Once restrictions eased, producers negotiated with Harris, Paladino and the stellar support cast and new dates were set.
This will be Rutherford-born and raised, David Harriss first major production in Newcastle, since leaving to make his mark on the global stage. David spent 2020 in lockdown in New York, returning to Australia in December and completing quarantine on Boxing Day. He is loving the freedom afforded by a relatively Covid-free Australia and is relishing being united with his family. Davids two sisters are also featuring in the production (one in the ensemble, the other in the choir) and his parents are delighted at the prospect of seeing their three children on stage together for the first time.
Alongside David Harris and Silvie Paladino is a principal cast of five leading lights of local theatre Marty Worrall, Marissa Saroca, Rob McDougall, Amy Vee and Christopher Allan. They, in turn, are supported by an ensemble of 16 actors/vocalists and ten dancers.
The monumental production will be directed by Erin James, who has starred in multiple Australian and international productions, as well as directing shows on the national stage. Erin was the mastermind behind TVPTCs Mamma Mia! and is, once again, collaborating with musical director extraordinaire, Dan Wilson. Dans 33-piece orchestra will be on the stage along with a 70-strong choir!
Dan said it was a phenomenal opportunity for the local performers to watch Silvie and David in action and learn from these highly experienced professional performers.
Erin and I are pinching ourselves that we get to work with uber-talented professionals of this calibre and present a show of this scale at the Civic Theatre, said Dan.
The Chess soundtrack is phenomenal and includes the international hit singles I Know Him So Well and One Night In Bangkok, and other well-known songs such as Anthem, Someone Elses Story, Heaven Help my Heart and Pity The Child. The cast is made up of absolute powerhouse voices who are bringing these huge numbers to life. We guarantee it will be a show to be remember..
CHESS The Musical
Civic Theatre Newcastle
Friday 26 February at 8pm, Saturday 27 February at 2pm and 8pm, Sunday 28 February at 3pm
Bookings through Civic Theatre Ticket Office: civictheatrenewcastle.com.au Ph: 4929 1977
Read this article:
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021
- Recruiting Chess Match: Huskies Have Missouri TE on Their Board - Sports Illustrated - February 15th, 2021
- xQc Is Going to Use His Expensive New PC to Play Chess and Browser Games - EssentiallySports - February 15th, 2021
- Our Collective Chess Match: What Our Editors Are Reading - Sojourners - February 15th, 2021
- Advanced chess with John Gallagher | Calendar | scarsdalenews.com - scarsdalenews.com - February 15th, 2021
- Across the MMA Universe: Kamaru Usman on UFC 258 'Chess Match' - Bleacher Report - February 15th, 2021
- More than 140 inmates will participate in virtual Chess Tournament - Dominican Today - February 15th, 2021
- Young Canadian chess stars lead drive to popularize the royal game on Twitch - Ottawa Citizen - February 15th, 2021
- University of Texas wins Kasparov Chess Foundation University Cup - Chessbase News - February 15th, 2021