The Yu-Gi-Oh! manga features a lot of cool and interesting games other than Dual Monsters that fans would enjoy even more.
While Yu-Gi-Oh! has become synonymous with duel monsters, that wasnt always the case for the series. Originally published as a grim-dark gaming manga, Yuugi and the gang would participate in a new game or challenge each week, with his alter ego, Yami Yugi coming out in full force to right the wrongs that befell Yuugi and his friends, usually with murder.
RELATED:10 Hilarious Yu-Gi-Oh! Joke Cards We Can't Believe Are Real
Since the original manga focused on games in general, there were many that didnt get the attention that they deserved. With a plethora of game types, even one that was literally just Digimon, some were more interesting than a basic card game and would have been much more fun to focus on.
After a new student tried to chloroform Anzu (Tea), Yami Yugi challenges him to this game with very simple rules. A glass bottle is placed on top of several papers laid on a table, all overlapping. The point of the game is to get the paper off the table without knocking over the bottle.
While it might not sound as entertaining as a Blue-Eyes White Dragon fighting the true Yu-Gi-Oh! hero Jerry Beans Man, viral videos of the last few years prove otherwise. The trick is in confusing your opponent. This is a game you can play right now, unlike many of the rest on this list.
After Yuugi and his friends are attacked at a school festival, Yami Yugi seeks revenge against the bully leader. Yami Yugi challenges the leader to a shadow game of Iron Plate Ice Hockey, turning the weapon the bully used, the cooking instrument called an iron plate, against him.
By heating up the iron plate, as it is basically a stovetop, it generates a heat field. Then a block of ice is used as a puck, with spatulas as the strikers. Yami Yugi ups the stakes by putting gunpowder in the ice, so when it melts or breaks it explodes on the heated iron plate.
One of the most well-known games from the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga is the Scorpion Shoe. After Jounouchi (Joey) buys a pair of shoes from a shady dealer, he is mugged. It turns out that the dealer sells the shoes, hires muscle to get them back, and repeats the process.
RELATED:5 Pokmon Yugi Muto Would Want On His Team (& 5 He Wouldnt)
Yami Yugi goes to right the wrong by challenging the shady dealer to Scorpion Shoe. A scorpion and 10 coins are put into a shoe. Each player takes turns reaching in to grab coins with the hopes they dont get stung. The shady dealers hopes did not come true.
One part escape room, one part horror movie, the Murder Mansion is a multi-level game of skill, luck, and deduction. In another part of Seto Kaibas revenge plot, Yuugi, Jounouchi, Anzu, and Honda (Tristan) are locked in the house and have to find their way out before a literal serial killer gets them.
The first part traps one of each of their hands under a guillotine with a button at each station, with the correct button releasing them. Part two pits Jounouchi against the Chopper Man in a locked room loaded with gasoline. This part is almost exactly like the Mausoleum Trap from Saw IV.
As the popularity of The Queens Gambit has shown, chess is a massively followed game, but that doesnt mean that it cant be improved upon, which is exactly what Yu-Gi-Oh! tried to accomplish. Sometime after defeating Seto Kaiba, Yuugi is challenged to a game of Capsule Monster Chess by Mokuba Kaiba.
There are a variety of monsters that range from level 1 to 5 and each has its own special moves. It is played on a game board that can have different terrains. The game is about strategy and strength with an added collect them all aspect to it.
Russian Roulette is already a controversial game, if it can even be called a game, but the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga kicked it up a step by introducing the Deadly Food Russian Roulette game. Mokuba returns to seek revenge for himself and his brother against Yuugi, while also casually poisoning Jounouchi.
On a spinning top table with 6 plates of food, 2 are poisoned. Each participant takes a turn spinning the top and eating whichever plate lands in front of them. The food is a variety of different styles, including a hamburger, spaghetti, and a kiddie meal, and yes, the kiddie meal was one of the poisoned foods.
Taking the idea of laser tag and adding haptic feedback in the form of electric currents seems like a bad way to play a game, but since this has come to the real world several times over, Seto Kaiba was just setting a stage for the future.
Planning his revenge against Yuugi, Kaiba made the Death T, a series of games made to kill. This first game sees two teams of 3 laser tag battle each other, but the losers get physical damage from the hits.
Another entry that is technically multiple games in one, but this game is actually a television show that plays like a combination of Wipeout and Big Brother. In the manga, Jounouchi is selected to participate as a contestant.
RELATED:10 Most Expensive Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards Of 2020 (& What They Sold For)
The first part is a dart-throwing challenge where the board has a section that makes the contestant automatically lose. The next section is the electric helmet of terror, where contestants have to run through a maze while not touching the electrified cables around them with a metal helmet. The final part is a roulette wheel where you can win or get hurt.
Merging what is now known as Yu-Gi-Oh! and Rockem Sockem Robots, Monster Fighter was introduced as the newest top-selling game, so Jounouchi and Yuugi set out to become the best players.
Monster Fighter is played with a gun disk that a monster is put on and it has four buttons; kick, block, punch, and special attack. The goal is to knock the other players monster out of the ring. One player does that by beating the opponent with his fists, so Yami Yugi murders him.
Looking almost identical to Capsule Monster Chess, Monster World is actually an RPG that is played similar to Dungeons and Dragons or Warhammer 40K. There are player characters and then there is a Dark Master aka Game Master, who controls the enemies in the game. The goal of the game is to save towns and defeat the Dark Master Zork
The whole friendship squad, Yuugi, Jounouchi, Anzu, and Honda take on a possessed Bakura for this game. This is also the game that ended the series, taking place across 10 chapters. The original manga also included a playable version of Monster World without the possessed GM.
NEXT:Yu-Gi-Oh! 10 Anime Card Mistakes That Are Too Funny
Next 10 Things You Didn't Know About America Vs. Justice Society
Nicholas is a freelance journalist who spends his time reading comics, playing video games and watching television, then writing about them in the hopes that he can work in those industries later in life. When he is not working with start-ups or performing improv around the country, he hosts the How Will I Die Podcast, which explores the multiverse of himself through many deaths and goofs.
Go here to see the original:
- The 10 best board games and tabletop RPGs based on a video game - Metro.co.uk - February 20th, 2021
- FIDE resumes the Candidates Tournament - Chessbase News - February 20th, 2021
- Family of victim wants answers in Jan. 24 shooting death - WLBT - February 20th, 2021
- More protests in Spain over jailing of rapper - Yahoo News - February 20th, 2021
- EF3 tornado killed 3 and injured 10, touching down in NC neighborhood near Wilmington - CIProud.com - February 20th, 2021
- KELOLAND On The Go Thursday, February 18 Toggle header content - KELOLAND.com - February 20th, 2021
- 02/18/2021: Another round of snow to end the week - NEWS10 ABC - February 20th, 2021
- Chess: mate Blacks cornered king in just three moves - Financial Times - February 17th, 2021
- Amid a global chess boom, shogi eyes its own winning moves - The Japan Times - February 10th, 2021
- The king is a strong piece - Chessbase News - February 10th, 2021
- Family, friends hold vigil to mourn the loss of mother and 2 daughters found dead Thursday - fox2now.com - February 6th, 2021
- 'It is a huge departure from how we try people' COVID's impact on the justice system - fox2now.com - February 4th, 2021
- Tech Talk- Nano Diamond Battery technology claims it never needs to be charged - fox2now.com - February 4th, 2021
- Tripuras 10-year-old chess player awarded with Bal Puraskar - Times of India - January 28th, 2021
- The Morning Watch: 'The Queen's Gambit' Chess Analysis, Stuntmen React to 'Hard Target' & More - /FILM - January 25th, 2021
- Be well prepared - with the ChessBase Magazine - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2021
- Nine Attention-Grabbing Inventions Unveiled at This Year's CES - Smithsonian Magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Canadian chess master Ross Siemms pleased with new interest in the game - Toronto Sun - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: check out the world's craziest new gaming and consumer tech - Happy Mag - January 13th, 2021
- A Black Repertoire versus the Anti-Sicilians - Chessbase News - January 13th, 2021
- 'The Last of Us' prologue easter egg discovered after seven years - NME - January 13th, 2021
- Trolling the Great Outdoors - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Good, bad, and ugly 2020 - The New Indian Express - December 29th, 2020
- DeepMind's New AI Is Able To Learn The Rules Of A Game As It Plays - Unite.AI - December 27th, 2020
- Chess captures new fans thanks to the pandemic and 'The Queen's Gambit' - CBC.ca - December 27th, 2020
- Bridgewater Man And Woman Arrested In Connection To Stabbing On Christmas Eve - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Off Their Game Week 16 - Robby Anderson - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Five Tips To Become A World Chess Champion: Vasily Smyslov's Story - Chess.com - December 27th, 2020
- 20 top TV moments of 2020: From 'Jeopardy!' to 'Tiger King' and that wild election - USA TODAY - December 26th, 2020
- The Westbridge Anand Chess Academy will train five of India's biggest talents - Chessbase News - December 23rd, 2020
- Chess sets are in-demand on LI right now - Newsday - December 23rd, 2020
- Elliot Page Was Supposed to Star in The Queens Gambit - Rare.us - December 22nd, 2020
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? video - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- From Bake Off woes to Zoom fiascos: 2020 in lists - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- KCF University Cup to be played online in February - Chessbase News - December 20th, 2020
- 2020 smartphone mega shootout: The best camera phones tested - Android Authority - December 20th, 2020
- The best websites to play chess after watching 'Queen's Gambit' | Tech | December 17, 2020 - Explica - December 17th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: The glaring flaw of 'The Queens Gambit' that no one wants to mention - National Post - December 12th, 2020
- Best of 2020: How The Queen's Gambit made its chess look real - Entertainment Weekly - December 11th, 2020
- 5 Easy Steps That You Need to Follow To Become A Micro Influencer - Vizaca.com - December 11th, 2020
- Omena, Miguna and onions most googled in 2020 - The Standard - December 11th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Financial Post - December 8th, 2020
- Inuit-designed board game Nunami hits the shelves - Nunatsiaq News - December 8th, 2020
- How to play chess like Beth from The Queen's Gambit - The Spectator US - December 5th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Video creation app Firework insists it is more than a TikTok rival as it woos publishers in India - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2020
- Meghan and Harry are in hot water over The Crown and their Netflix deal - NEWS.com.au - December 3rd, 2020
- The Cord's Best of 2020 The Cord - The Cord - December 3rd, 2020
- Madonna Shared a Rare, Festive Family Portrait Ahead of the Holidays - HarpersBAZAAR.com - December 1st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' got you feeling chess? The best websites to play on - Film Daily - December 1st, 2020
- Mr Beast teases chess match with grandmaster Hikaru - Dexerto - December 1st, 2020
- The 42 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 29th, 2020
- Black Friday 2020 Live Update: A later Black Friday boost; hot holiday gifts: Legos and chess sets - CNBC - November 27th, 2020
- Chess championship: A 10-year-old Filipino takes over global stage - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- Netflix, HBO Max Battle Over 'Godzilla' Rights, Disney Plus Performs 'On Pointe' - The Streamable - November 27th, 2020
- A game-changing moment for chess - CNN Video - November 26th, 2020
- Carlsen on The Queen's Gambit: A little too unrealistic - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- Understanding before Moving 2: How to improve the activity of my pieces - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Gurgaon girl to represent India in World Youth Chess Championship - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 5) - Chessbase News - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - CNN - November 20th, 2020
- Cybercrimes can cost companies money, customers, and employees. Here's what types of cybersecurity protocols e - Business Insider India - November 18th, 2020
- Politicians are conquering the world of video games - Metro US - November 18th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 4) - Chessbase News - November 16th, 2020
- How "The Queen's Gambit" is inspiring a wave of new chess fans, especially women - Salon - November 16th, 2020
- 5 great shows to watch on Netflix this weekend - Netflix Life - November 8th, 2020
- Chess and scientific research - Chessbase News - November 6th, 2020
- Harry Melling on 'Queen's Gambit' and His Haunting Liam Neeson Team-Up - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Darrell Hammond on Sean Connery Impression: "The Single Most Successful Thing I Ever Did As a Performer" - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Win or lose, with Trump, prepare for the unimaginable after the election - CNN - November 1st, 2020
- VIDEOS - Play Chess with Friends - October 31st, 2020
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - October 31st, 2020
- Chess videos | chess24.com - October 31st, 2020
- Gillian Jacobs Talks Improvising for the First Time on Dont Think Twice - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- TikToker Abby Roberts reacts to bizarre theory shes not really British - Dexerto - October 31st, 2020
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: 'Borat 2' on Amazon Prime Video+ More - Decider - October 24th, 2020
- Premiere: Sweet Crude Reaches Their "Ultimatum" - Popdust - October 23rd, 2020
- Gordon Ramsay Sipped Ocean Spray In His Latest TikTok Tirade, Referencing The Viral 'Dreams' Video - Delish.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast on How the Netflix Drama Goes Beyond the Chess Board (VIDEO) - TV Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020