I'd like to apologise to Magnus for ruining his Valentine'sDay," said Wesley So after defeating Magnus Carlsen in the final of theOpera Euro Rapid after also beating him in the Skilling Open final on the WorldChampions 30th birthday. Wesley won the first game of the day after amisjudged sacrifice, but Magnus had great chances to hitback in Games 3 and 4 if hed trusted his intuition and sacrificed at the rightmoment. Teimour Radjabov finished 3rd after a shocking blunder by MaximeVachier-Lagrave cut the 3rd place match short. (MORE LATER)
You can replay all the games from the Opera Euro Rapidknockout stages using the selector below.
And heres the days live commentary from Peter Leko, TaniaSachdev and guests Sam Shankland and Harikrishna.
And from David Howell, Jovanka Houska and Kaja Snare.
Don't miss the chance to get 40% offany chess24 Premium membershipusing the voucher codeCCT40!
Teimour Radjabov needed just two games to seal 3rd placeafter MVL committed chess suicide in the second game, while Wesley Sos win inthe first game of the day proved enough after a series of missed chances byMagnus.
Wesley could have given mate-in-4 near the end of the finalgame, but he was thrilled to get the draw he needed to seal victory and the$30,000 top prize. He also later apologised for his double fist pump at theend!
Watch Wesley Sos post-victory interview.
Magnus had to settle for 2nd place again, and has yet to winan event on the Meltwater Champions Chess Tour.
Afterwards he talked about the missed chances on the finalday and how he failed to trust himself at the critical moments.
Magnus is still 3rd in the tour standings, while Wesley Sois top, edging ahead of Teimour Radjabov on the tiebreaker of having won moretour events.
The final bracket for the Opera Euro Rapid looks as follows.
Continue reading here:
- Chess at the Spanish Pavilion - Chessbase News - November 27th, 2021
- 2021 FIDE World Rapid & Blitz Championship: All The Information - Chess.com - November 27th, 2021
- Lindores Abbey Blitz - Live! - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2021
- Chess: Firouzja, 18, becomes third youngest world title candidate after Carlsen and Fischer - Financial Times - November 12th, 2021
- Stockfish can crush you at chess even more efficiently in the 14.1 update - Neowin - November 1st, 2021
- Azerbaijani chess players take 11th, 13th among TOP-100 in the world - Trend News Agency - November 1st, 2021
- Monarchs and ubersprogs - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2021
- Game of the Week 484: Giri vs Carlsen - Chessbase News - October 8th, 2021
- Daniel King's Power Play Show: Tactics from the Chessable Masters and the genius of Magnus Carlsen - Chessbase News - August 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen moves forward in the Chess World Cup, but ... - July 25th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen botches win and heads for tiebreaks at chess World Cup - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen wins San Fermin Masters | ChessBase - July 25th, 2021
- Exclusive| Inspired by Magnus Carlsen, 12 year old Abhimanyu Mishra aims to be World Champion one day - Times Now - July 10th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen chess games - 365Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen | Norwegian chess player | Britannica - March 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen survives 'disgusting' blunders against Daniil Dubov - The Guardian - February 15th, 2021
- World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen On The Very Relatable Queens Gambit Scene - TheThings - January 23rd, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen only has the second most popular video series of 2020 - chess24 - January 9th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit: Chess 'has not been kind to women,' says world champion Magnus Carlsen - Euronews - December 11th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen reaches Skilling semi-finals despite mouse slip - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Magnus Carlsens Champions Chess tour to be streamed on digital platforms, including in India - Mumbai Mirror - November 12th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen wins as Alireza Firouzja blunders in pawn endgame - The Guardian - October 16th, 2020
- P Harikrishna stuns Magnus Carlsen but later suffers four losses - The Indian Express - September 24th, 2020
- Levon Aronian defeated by Magnus Carlsen - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - September 16th, 2020
- Chess: Garry Kasparov and Magnus Carlsen draw in historic ... - September 12th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Carlsen Ties Match To Set Up Final Clash - Chess.com - August 19th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Nakamura Extends Lead, Carlsen Strikes Back - Chess.com - August 11th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Carlsen leads Ding in ... - August 11th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2020
- Play Magnus - Chess Training, Magnus Carlsen - June 24th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen | Top Chess Players - Chess.com - June 24th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen announces $1m online series as ... - June 24th, 2020