Kamaru Usman (left) kicks Colby Covington.Associated Press
There is no antecedent for Gilbert Burns, at least not on Kamaru Usman's record.
Not Demian Maia, who shares Burns' world-championship jiu-jitsu pedigree. Not Jorge Masvidal, an elite standup fighter. And not Colby Covington, who for better or worse has some of the best wrestling in the UFC.
When Usman (17-1) defends his welterweight title Saturday against Burns (19-3) in the main event of UFC 258, it will be his 13th UFC contest (all wins, by the way). When I spoke to Usman earlier this week, he told me that none of his other opponents have ever presented the same kind of problem as Burns.
And since the two were training partners for several years, Usman knows of what he speaks.
"Gilbert is different," Usman told me. "Basically, when I'm about to fight guys, I look at their skill sets and I look at the problem they may present. Gilbert is different from these other guys because he's more well-rounded to where these other guys have some type of holes. ... There are different types of challenges with Gilbert. It's going to be more of a chess match, instead of just a skill deficit."
The two men were longtime teammates at Sanford MMA in Florida, but they go back even further than that; both were members of the vaunted but now-defunct Blackzilians squad, headed by former UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans, among others.
The intricacies of the Usman-Burns relationship have been a steady source of speculation all fight week, with people suggesting Usman left Sanford either to avoid sharing a roof with a potential opponent in Burns or to preserve their friendship as their collision course became clearer. (The mutual respect between these two makes Usman's grudge match with Covington feel a thousand miles away.)
But to hear Usman tell it, the relationship is somewhere in the gray area, as most things are when it comes down to it. The notion that he immediately viewed Burns as an opponent, he said, doesn't make much sense for one simple reason.
"He was a lightweight then and I was a welterweight, so I never had to look at him as an opponent," Usman said. "But he started looking at me as an opponent before I ever looked at him that way. ... He was a good training partner. When I'm in the gym, I'm there to train. He came to work, and that was something I admired and liked about him."
The book on Burnstie him up and tire him outis a familiar theme in many a scouting report, and it's one Usman's power-grinding style appears ready to exploit.
If you find that style boring, you may have a long night ahead of you. Usman takes a calculated approach to the fight game, a sort of Moneyball-style efficiency applied to a fighter.
"With Gilbert, I have to be a little bit more wary with how I conserve energy and how I expend energy," he said. "Because he's also good in the grappling aspect. Of course, my wrestling will probably trump his wrestling, but he's dangerous on the ground, so I have to be aware of that and watch my positioning. His striking is dangerous as well."
Another topic of fight week chatter has been Usman's new homein a one-on-one camp with super-coach Trevor Wittman in Colorado. The real reason Usman departed Sanford MMA, Usman said, had nothing to do with Burns and everything to do with seeking more individualized coachingsomething he indicated wasn't available at Sanford.
"The change in my overall game as far as benefits [from Wittman] are the fundamentals, the little things," he said. "When I was with a big team before, I never got that one-on-one time to pay attention to my movement, my footwork or the way I was punching. Now I have to pay attention to that. I like it at this part of my career. This is the kind of attention I need in order to be able to hold on to that belt."
You certainly can't accuse Usman of not having a plan. On Saturday, we'll see if he can checkmate the most unique opponent he's ever faced across the chessboard.
There's no fight fan alive who doesn't salivate like a dog at two simple words: Grand Prix.
Bellator MMA honcho Scott Coker on Tuesday announced that Bellator will be airing events on premium cable outlet Showtime.
For Coker, he's back on familiar ground.
Coker was the longtime head of Strikeforce, a now-defunct promotion that aired on Showtime. What's more, Showtime is owned by ViacomCBS, the same parent company as previous Bellator haunts like Spike and Paramount Network.
The move gives Bellator an immediate shot in the arm.
The inaugural broadcast takes place April 2. The two tournaments will occur at light heavyweight and featherweight. Among those in the eight-man 205-pound bracket? Former UFC standouts Anthony "Rumble" Johnson, Yoel Romero, Ryan Bader and Phil Davis, not to mention current champ Vadim Nemkov. Sign me up.
The featherweight version holds plenty of intrigue on its own. That's somewhat because AJ McKee is part of it, and he pretty much carries intrigue wherever he goes. That guy is the truth, and he'll be a favorite to go all the way in this tournament.
Buckle your seat belts, because Bellator may have just upped the ante. It may not be neck and neck with the mighty UFC, but it just pulled a step closer. The question is whether it will have staying power.
Fighter Walkout Song of the Week
"Kick in the Door" by The Notorious B.I.G.
Pour out a cold one for Frankie Edgar, who has pledged to fight on after suffering a ghastly knockout at the handsor rather kneeof Cory Sandhagen.
These might not be halcyon days for the 39-year-old ex-champ, but he remains as popular as ever and will probably remain so for the rest of recorded time.
So in solidarity with the New Jersey native, let us listen to "Kick in the Door," from one of the best tri-state-area rappers ever (Warning: song contains profanity).
Movie Fighter of the Week: Martin Riggs, Lethal Weapon
(Warning: clip contains profanity)
Mel Gibson's character in theLethal Weaponfranchise is quite possibly more beloved than he is. But Riggs isn't just a nostalgia source; he's a dyed-in-the-wool pioneer.
Check out Gibson here, all the way back in 1988, fighting mano a mano with the immortal Gary Busey. Look at the technique...did he just try to pull an armbar? Wait...does he have a triangle cinched in? Indeed he did, in all its glory. Props to whomever choreographed that. They were ahead of their time.
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021
- Recruiting Chess Match: Huskies Have Missouri TE on Their Board - Sports Illustrated - February 15th, 2021
- xQc Is Going to Use His Expensive New PC to Play Chess and Browser Games - EssentiallySports - February 15th, 2021
- Our Collective Chess Match: What Our Editors Are Reading - Sojourners - February 15th, 2021
- Advanced chess with John Gallagher | Calendar | scarsdalenews.com - scarsdalenews.com - February 15th, 2021
- More than 140 inmates will participate in virtual Chess Tournament - Dominican Today - February 15th, 2021
- Young Canadian chess stars lead drive to popularize the royal game on Twitch - Ottawa Citizen - February 15th, 2021
- University of Texas wins Kasparov Chess Foundation University Cup - Chessbase News - February 15th, 2021