The first mini-matches of the Opera Euro Rapid knockout stage were played on Tuesday. Each confrontation consists of two 4-game mini-matches, and in case of a tie a blitz playoff will follow immediately after the second set.
Magnus Carlsen was the first one to score a mini-match victory, as he took down Daniil Dubov who had knocked him out of the Airthings Masters a bit over a month ago after winning two out of their three first encounters. Maxime Vachier-Lagrave and Wesley So obtained 2:1 wins over Levon Aronian and Jan-Krzysztof Duda respectively, while Anish Giri managed to win game 4 on demand to tie the score with Teimour Radjabov.
Click to enlarge
The world champion was ruthless on day 1 of his quarterfinal match against Daniil Dubov. Carlsen kicked off with a win.
21.Qb3 Qd7 22.Nf5 Threatens to capture on d4 and then playQc4.
22...Ng4? [22...Nh5!? with the idea23.N5xd4 exd4 24.e5 Nf4 25.Re4 Qf7 26.Qd1 Qg6 getting counterplaY.]
23.N5xd4 exd4 24.e5 The knight on g4 is in trouble.
24...h5 25.Qc4 The pawn on d4 is not defensible. Black tries to complicate matters.
25...Rxf3 26.gxf3 Nh6 27.Rc1 Nf5
28.Qxc7 Cold-blooded. The queen captures the pawn before rushing back to the defence.
28...Qd5 29.Qc2 [29.Qc4 Qxf3 30.Qxe6+ Kh7 31.Qf7 Qg4+ 32.Kf1 Ne3+ 33.Ke1 Ng2+ 34.Kd2 requires precise calculation, but also wins.]
30.Qe2 White has to be careful once more. He should not let the queen to capture on f3.
30...Nxf3+ 31.Kh1 Nxe5+ 32.f3 [32.Qe4 Qxb5 33.Rc8+ Kf7 34.Rc7+ Kg8 35.Kg1 Qb1+ 36.Kg2+]
32...Qxb5 33.Re1 Nxd3 34.Rd110
After a draw in the second game, Carlsen also won the third game and thus ended the mini-match earlier than expected.
Carlsen, M. - Dubov, D.
Opera Euro Rapid KO, Game 3
Master Class Vol.8: Magnus Carlsen
Scarcely any world champion has managed to captivate chess lovers to the extent Carlsen has. The enormously talented Norwegian hasn't been systematically trained within the structures of a major chess-playing nation such as Russia, the Ukraine or China.
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qd6 4.d4 Nf6 5.Nf3 Nc6 The Dubov-Frischmann variation.
6.Nb5 Qd8 7.Be2
7.Bf4 Nd5 8.Bg3 a6 9.Na3 e5 10.dxe5 Bb4+ 11.Nd2 h5 12.h4 Bg4 01 (28) Karjakin,S (2752)-Dubov,D (2699) chess24.com INT 2020;
7.c4 e6 8.Be2 Bb4+ 9.Nc3 00 10.00 b6 11.Bg5 Bxc3 12.bxc3 h6 13.Bh4 Bb7 10 (42) Ter Sahakyan,S (2640)-Dubov,D (2699) chess. com INT 2020]
7...a6 8.Na3 Bg4 9.Nc4 e6 10.00 Be7 11.c3 00 12.a4 Nd5 13.a5 Bd6 14.Re1 Re8 15.Bg5 f6 16.Bh4 Nce7 17.Bg3 Bxg3 18.hxg3 Nf5
19.Qb3 White has a space advantage and is in a good position.
19...Rb8 20.Bd3 Bh5 21.Ncd2 Bf7 22.Qc2 Bg6 23.Nb3 Qd6 24.Nc5 b6 25.axb6 cxb6
26.Ne4 This knight has had a tremendous run. Nb1c3b5a3c4d2b3c5e4. [Or 26.Rxa6 Nc7 27.Ne4]
26...Qc7 27.Rxa6 Wins apawn.
27...Rbc8 28.Qa4 h5 29.Ned2 Kh7 30.c4 b5 31.cxb5 [Or 31.Qxb5 Rb8 32.Qa5 Qxa5 33.Rxa5 Nb4 34.Bb1+]
31...h4 32.gxh4 Nf4 33.Bf1 Bh5 34.Rc6 Qf7 35.Qc2 Qg6ThreatensNh3 after all.
36.Kh2 Pragmatic. [36.Rxc8 Nh3+ 37.Kh2 Nxf2 threatening a perpetual check38.Ng5+ was the alternative.]
36...Rcd8 37.Qe4 Nd5 38.Rxe6 Nc7 39.Rxe8 Rxe8 40.Qb1 Rxe1 41.Qxe1 Nd5 42.Qe410
Select an entry from the list to switch between games
After a draw in the first game, Wesley So made a big mistake against Jan-Krzystof in the second game and fell behind on the scoreboard. GM Karsten Mller analysed the materially-imbalanced endgame.
With two wins in games 3 and 4, however, the American grandmasterturned the tables around and won the first set of the match.
In the third game, So needed 103 moves to win the endgame. Here is Karsten Mller's analysis.
A queen and bishop attack put an end to the fourth game:
27...Rd2+ 28.Bxd2 [28.Kf1 Rc2]28...Qxd2+ 29.Kf1 Qxe3 30.Qe4 Qc1+ 31.Kg2 Qg5+ 32.Qg4 Qd2+ 33.Kh3 gxf5 34.Qh5 [34.Bxf5 Rg8]34...Be5 35.f4 Qxf401
In the match between Maxime Vachier-Lagrave and Levon Aronian the first game also ended without a winner. Then, in the second game, the French star demonstrated the explosive power of piece play in the Grnfeld Defence with the black pieces in a display of tactical fireworks. Aronian was literally overrun.
Aronian, L. - Vachier-Lagrave, M.
Opera Euro Rapid KO, Game 2
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Qb3 dxc4 6.Qxc4 Be6!? is played rather rarely compared to other variations.
[The main move is 6...00 and after 7.e4 has also already been played before 7...Be6 8.d5 Bc8!? 01 (38) Van Foreest,J (2612)-Vachier Lagrave,M (2780) chess.com INT 2019]
7.Qa4+ [The main variation is 7.Qb5+ Bd7 8.Qxb7 Nc6 9.Qb3 Rb8 10.Qd1 Bf5 with compensation.]
7...Bd7 8.Qb3 c5 Black had good results in previous games following this line.
9.d5 b5 10.Nxb5 Na6 11.Nc3 Rb8 12.Qd1 Qa5
13.Qd2 [13.Nd2 Nxd5 14.Nxd5 Ba4 15.b3 Bc6 01 (15) Drenchev,P (2434)-Ivic,V (2548) Bajina Basta 2020]
13...Nb4 14.e4 Ba4 White is outplayed and loses material.
15.b3 Bxb3 16.Rb1 Bc2 17.Rb3 Bxb3 18.axb3 Nd7 With the intention of playing Bxc3 and Nd3.
19.Bb2 00+ [19...Nxd5!?+]
20.Be2 Na2 [20...Nxd5 21.Nxd5 Qxd2+ 22.Nxd2 Bxb2 23.Nxe7+ Kg7+]
21.Na4 Qxa4! Very pretty and the prelude to tactical fireworks.
22.Bxg7 [22.bxa4 Rxb2 23.Qe3 (23.Qd1 Nc3; 23.Qd3 Nc1) 23...Bc3++]
22...Rxb3 23.Bxf8 Rb1+ 24.Bd1 Qxe4+ 25.Kf1 Nc3 26.Qxc3 Rxd1+ 27.Ne1 Nxf8 Black has two extra pawns and is clearly better.
28.h4 Qxd5 29.Rh3 Ne6 30.Re3 Rd4 31.Nf3 Qc4+ 32.Qxc4 Rxc4 33.Ra3 Nd4 34.Nxd4 cxd4 35.Rxa7 d3 36.Ke1 Re4+ 37.Kd2 Re2+ 38.Kxd3 Rxf2 A pragmatic end to a spectacular game.01
In the next game Aronian was about to equalize, but after a mistake Maxime Vachier-Lagrave managed to escapewith a draw.
In the match between Anish Giri and Teimour Radjabov, the Azerbaijani took the lead with a win in the third game, but Giri bounced back and equalized in the fourthgame.
Karsten Mller took a look at the deadly zugzwang that gave Radjabov his win of the day.
- Grand Chess Tour Returns to Board With Superbet Classic in Romania - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- Abhimanyu Mishra: World's youngest grandmaster in the making - THE WEEK - June 11th, 2021
- Catch The Clash's grand champions in today's episode of 'Rise Up Stronger: The Road to NCAA Season 96' - GMA Network - June 11th, 2021
- Chess on the water at Hempel World Cup Series - Allianz Regatta - International Sailing Federation - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan to battle Viswanathan Anand in a game of chess to raise money for fighting Covid-19 - The Indian Express - June 11th, 2021
- Asian Zonal Hybrid Chess Ranindu wins to reach third place - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - June 11th, 2021
- FTX Crypto Cup: Caruana wins the prelims, Carlsen and Nepo qualify - Chessbase News - May 30th, 2021
- Throwback Thursday: Ivanchuk wins the 2016 World Rapid Championship - Chessbase News - May 18th, 2021
- Anish Giri wins the Mr Dodgy Invitational again! - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- US Trainer Khachiyan Recognized by FIDE, Wins First Liu Wenzhe Award - uschess.org - May 18th, 2021
- Coronavirus | Good response to GMs moves - The Hindu - May 18th, 2021
- MDI 2, Day 2: Jobava dances to win over Grischuk - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- On chess: Grandmaster Ian Nepomniachtchi Wins FIDE Candidates, Qualifying To Face face Magnus Carlsen In The World Chess Championship - St. Louis... - May 5th, 2021
- How NOT To Improve At Chess - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Editors Picks: 11 Events for Your Calendar This Week, From a Chess Grandmaster at the Rubin to a Modern Spin on Artemisia Gentileschi - artnet News - May 5th, 2021
- Let's talk about the Candidates... with Eric van Reem and Jonathan Tisdall - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- The Mind Hack Will Smith Uses to Stay Focused and Motivated - menshealth.com - May 5th, 2021
- Nepomniachtchi: 'I Don't Have The Tendency To Downgrade Myself' - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- The Armageddon of cancel culture - TheArticle - May 5th, 2021
- Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Candidates Round 14: Ding, MVL and Alekseenko finish on a high note - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- World #6 chess grandmaster compares watching esports to watching chess - PC Gamer - April 21st, 2021
- Worth the Wait in Gold: Caruana Wins in Candidates Restart - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- Will Smith Reveals His Favorite Moment From 'The Pursuit of Happyness' - Yahoo Entertainment - April 21st, 2021
- Square Off is a smart chessboard that lets you challenge opponents anywhere - Boing Boing - April 21st, 2021
- Lime and its competitors plan to flood parts of NYC with e-scooters - Mashable - April 21st, 2021
- Rising Through The Ranks: Queens 12-Year-Old Has Eyes On One Day Being Chess Grandmaster - CBS New York - April 5th, 2021
- Explained: Can Grandmasters cheat in online chess and get away? - The Indian Express - April 5th, 2021
- an ode to chess - The Brown Daily Herald - April 5th, 2021
- FIDE World University Championship Participants Disqualified Without 'Proof Of Actual Cheating' - Chess.com - April 5th, 2021
- BINGE IT!: Netflix's 'The Queen's Gambit' teaches the game of life through chess - WALB - April 5th, 2021
- On Chess: Online Chess Interest Soars Since The Start Of The Pandemic - St. Louis Public Radio - April 5th, 2021
- Instructive endgames from the European Club Cup - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- The Meeple Guild: Chess in Canada: Part II - Yorkton This Week - April 5th, 2021
- Euro Club Cup: Clichy and Deizisau in the lead - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- Chess: Guildford, unbeaten for eight years, find the strongest ever Eurocup a bridge too far - Financial Times - April 5th, 2021
- IBM's New Debater AI is a Terrible Idea, Here's Why - Digital Information World - April 5th, 2021
- Go From Chess Beginner To Master With This Mega Bundle Of Courses, Now Less Than $40 - IGN Southeast Asia - February 20th, 2021
- AI mistakes black and white chess chat for racism - The Independent - February 20th, 2021
- This aluminum chessboard and its iconic chess pieces have been crafted for the millennial grandmasters - Yanko Design - February 17th, 2021
- AICF to start Indian Chess League - The Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Why our relationship with young achievers is so complicated - BBC News - February 17th, 2021
- Chess: Wesley So notches another title at world No. 1 Magnus Carlsens expense - ABS-CBN News - February 17th, 2021
- Were all content businesses: esports orgs borrow from the media owners playbook in search for new revenues - Digiday - February 15th, 2021
- Titled Tuesday: Svidler Winning With Grunfeld - Chess.com - February 12th, 2021
- A chess game without chess - Knight's Retreat is now on Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4 and Switch - TheXboxHub - February 12th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit and The Modern Era of Chess - The Oberlin Review - February 12th, 2021
- Fat Fritz 2: The Best of Both Worlds - Chessbase News - February 12th, 2021
- Morning sports update: Bart Scott thinks Patriots fans will run Bill Belichick out of town without quarterback fix - Boston.com - February 12th, 2021
- LeBron James' longevity and consistency will define him in the end as Los Angeles Lakers push for another title - Sky Sports - February 12th, 2021
- Loving the Alien | chess24.com - chess24 - February 10th, 2021
- Levon Aronian's mother speaks in defense of her son - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - February 10th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit: Why Beth Ending Up Single Was The Best Choice - Screen Rant - February 7th, 2021
- Chess grandmaster rates 7 chess scenes in movies and TV for accuracy - Insider - Insider - February 6th, 2021
- Equity derivatives house of the year: Citi - Risk.net - February 6th, 2021
- Chess Is a Netflix Star. How About Other Games? - The Wall Street Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Four Americans to Play in Third Champions Tour Event - uschess.org - February 6th, 2021
- Here are some films based on sports that are in the pipeline - The Tribune India - February 6th, 2021
- Soccer looks to AI for an edge: Could an algorithm really predict injuries? - ESPN - February 6th, 2021
- How the Queens Gambit Made Me a Better Investor - Wealth Morning - February 6th, 2021
- Nihal Sarin: Well-guided and on the right path - Sportstar - February 4th, 2021
- Shane Battier says there was no player he wanted to beat more than Kobe - Silver Screen and Roll - February 3rd, 2021
- COLUMN: Hobbies are essential in the pandemic - The Depaulia - February 1st, 2021
- Tony Romo on Super Bowl for Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes - The Athletic - February 1st, 2021
- What Thanos Black Order Did After His Death in the Comics - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2021
- 15 People Whose IQs Are Higher Than Albert Einstein's and What They Do For a Living - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 28th, 2021
- Chess: Carlsen loses to 18-year-old Russian as a new generation surges at Wijk - Financial Times - January 26th, 2021
- Niemann on Earning the GM Title | US Chess.org - uschess.org - January 26th, 2021
- The ultimate Grandmaster | Opinion | kelownadailycourier.ca - The Daily Courier - January 26th, 2021
- "The game of the lady" on Netflix, "Grandmaster" for chess players - Vaughan Today - January 25th, 2021
- Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival 2021 hosts Checkmate with World Champion Viswanathan Anand in conversation with Boria Majumder - United News of... - January 25th, 2021
- Nano Dimension Appoints Dr. Eli David to the Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Nano Dimension Appoints Dr. Eli David to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - January 23rd, 2021
- What does it take to be a grandmaster chess champion? | Watch News Videos Online - Globalnews.ca - January 20th, 2021
- Who are the Botez Sisters, one of chess's most popular streamers? - Sports Interactive Network Philippines - January 20th, 2021
- Pop artist Keith Haring exhibit now on display at the St. Louis World Chess Hall of Fame - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - January 20th, 2021
- The best make a welcome return to the chessboard - Washington Times - January 20th, 2021
- How to learn chess online: Beef up your skills with these courses - Mashable - January 20th, 2021
- This wooden chess, checkers, and backgammon set will definitely class up your game night - Boing Boing - January 20th, 2021
- Soviet humour and the Great Yoghurt Gambit - TheArticle - January 20th, 2021