Its difficult to imagine a world without the many inventions by Black People.
This Black History Month, weve highlighted over 100 inventions that the world would not have if it werent for Black inventors.
Heres the big list:
In 1885,Sarah Goodebecame the first Black woman to receive a US patent. She moved to Chicago and opened a furniture store. It was there she came up with an industry changing idea that brought more urban residents with limited space into her store.
George Crumwas working as a chef at a resort in New York. A customer sent his dish of french fries back to the kitchen, claiming that they werent good. In an irritated fit, Crum cut thepotatoesas thinly as possible, fried them until they were burnt crisps, and threw a generous handful of salt on top. Thus, the chip was born.
Garrett Morgandeveloped what he called the safety hood after noticing how many firefighters were killed by smoke on the job. The hood, which went over the head, featured tubes connected to wet sponges that filtered out smoke and provided fresh oxygen.
Philip B. Downingcreated a mailbox design that featured an outer door and an inner safety door to avoid parcels being stolen.This safety device allowed mailboxes to be set up everywhere.
Charles Richard Drewbecame interested in researching the preservation of blood when he was studying at Columbia University.Drew discovered a method of separating red blood cells from plasma and then storing the two components separately. This new process allowed blood to be stored for more than a week, which was the maximum at that time.Drew documented these findings in a paper that led to the first blood bank.
In the late 19th century, the ironing board was improved bySarah Boone. One of the first Black women in U.S. history to receive a patent, she created a narrower and curved design, making it easier to iron garments.Boones design morphed into the modern board that we use today.
African American nurse Mary Van Brittan Brown, devised an early security unit for her own home.She and her husband took out a patent for the system in the same year, and they were awarded the patent three years later, in 1969.Home security systems commonly used today took various elements from her design.
Garrett Morganwas the first Black person in Cleveland, Ohio, to own a car. After he witnessed a severe car accident at an intersection in the city, he expanded on the current traffic light by adding a yield component, warning oncoming drivers of an impending stop.
Frederick McKinley Jonescreated a roof-mounted cooling system that was used to refrigerate goods on trucks during extended transportation in the mid-1930s.He received a patent for his invention in 1940 and co-founded the US Thermo Control Company, later known as Thermo King.
Alexander Milestook out a patent in 1887 for a mechanism that automatically opens and closes elevator shaft doors. His designs are largely reflected in elevators used today.
Dr. James E. Westco-invented a foil electret microphone, which was less expensive to produce than the typically used condenser microphones.
You can thankMark Deanfor co-inventing the color monitor. Without his invention, wed still be typing in a colorless interweb.
Summer just wouldnt be the same without Lonnie Johnsons invention. Johnson was an Aerospace Engineer for NASA who happened to invent the popular childrens toy.
Mary Davidson invented both the tissue holder whiledisabled from multiple sclerosis.
Everyone and their dog can thankGeorge Washington Carver for the invention of peanut butter.
Patricia Bath,an ophthalmologist and laser scientist, inventeda device and technique used to remove cataracts and revive patients eyesight.
Richard Spikescreated the automatic gear shift, helping people drive up hills everywhere.
George T. Sampsoncreated the clothes dryer in 1892.
Thanks toLloyd P. Ray, we can sweep things out from under the rug.
John Purdycreated the folding chair, which is used in picnics and school graduations everywhere.
Golf was a totally different sport beforeDr. George Grantcame along.
Alfred L. Cralleinvented the ice cream scooper, allowing kids to have larger scoops than spoonfuls.
John Albert Burrfully made over the lawnmower, bringing better traction, rotary blades, and allowed cutting closer to buildings.
This invention byJoseph A. Smithhelped dads everywhere keep their grass green while allowing kids a fun toy to jump around in.
ThankThomas Elkinsfor your porcelain throne. Without Elkins, your bathroom breaks certainly wouldnt be as comfortable.
Thomas W. Stewartcreated the mop, which helps to ease the backbreaking labor.
William Richardsoncreated the first baby stroller with independent wheels.
William Dorsey Swannis highly regarded as the first drag queen in the US.
Dapper Dantook the logos of designer brands and used them for apparel, furniture, and more.
According to the Black Inventors Museum, all of these were also created by Black inventors:
Serving Tray Walker
Airplane propelling James S. Adams
Biscuit Cutter A.P. Ashbourne
Coin Changer James A. Bauer
Rotary Engine Andrew J. Beard
Car Coupler Andrew J. Beard
Letter Box G.E. Becket
Stainless Steel Pads Alfred Benjamin
Torpedo Discharger H. Bradberry
Disposable Syringe Phil Brooks
Corn Planter Henry Blair
Cotton Planter Henry Blair
Street Sweepers C.B. Brooks
Horse Bridle Bit L.F. Brown
Horseshoe Oscar E. Brown
Train Alarm R.A. Butler
Paints and Stans George W. Carver
Lotions and Soaps George W. Carver
Automatic Fishing Reel George Cook
Ice Cream Mold A.L. Cralle
Printing Press W.A. Lavalette
Envelope Seal F.W. Leslie
Laser Fuels Lester Lee
Pressure Cooker Maurice W. Lee
Window Cleaner A.L. Lewis
Portable Pencil Sharpener John L. Love
Fire Extinguisher Tom J. Marshal
Shoe Lasting Machine Jan Matzeliger
Rocket Catapult Hugh MacDonald
Hair Brush Lyda Newman
Heating Furnace Alice H. Parker
Blimp J.F. Pickering
Hand Stamp W.B. Purvis
Fountain Pen W.B. Purvis
Dust Pan I.P. Ray
Insect Destroyer Gun A.C. Richardson
Sugar Refinement N. Rillieux
Cellular Phone Henry Sampson
Curtain Rod S.R. Scottron
Urinalysis Machine Dewey Sanderson
Player Piano Joseph Dickinson
Arm for Record Player Joseph Dickinson
Door Stop O. Dorsey
Door Knob O. Dorsey
Photo Print Wash Clatonia J. Dorticus
Photo Embossing Machine Clatonia J. Dorticus
Guitar Robert Flemming Jr.
Motor J. Gregory
Thermo Hair Curlers Solomon Harper
Lantern Michael Harney
Gas Burner B.F. Jackson
Kitchen Table H.A. Jackson
Bicycle Frame Issac R. Johnson
Wrench John A. Johnson
Eye Protector P. Johnson
Egg Beater W. Johnson
Air Conditioning Unit Frederick M. Jones
Two-cycle Gas Engine Frederick M. Jones
Internal Combustion Engine Frederick M. Jones
Starter Generator Frederick M. Jones
Refrigeration Controls Frederick M. Jones
Read the original post:
- Overthinking the silence - Chessbase News - June 11th, 2021
- Jan Werle: Beat the King's Indian - Chessbase News - June 11th, 2021
- Alethea AI and artist Robert Alice launch Sothebys auction of the first intelligent NFT - VentureBeat - June 11th, 2021
- How Philipp Grubauer used blood, sweat and technology to launch the Avalanches Stanley Cup run: Ive never seen a goalie do that - The Denver Post - June 11th, 2021
- NBA playoffs 2021 - What could shift Jazz-Clippers and every conference semifinal series - ESPN - June 11th, 2021
- The Supercar/Hypercar Wars Continue, But The Roadster Still Has An Ace Up Its Sleeve - CleanTechnica - May 30th, 2021
- Slitherine announces a plethora of new wargames at 'Home of Wargamers 2021' - The Next Web - May 18th, 2021
- How Stupid Does Governor Whitmer Think Michiganders Are? - wbckfm.com - May 18th, 2021
- Mad pawns can save the day - Chessbase News - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Reality is irreversible - The Monthly - May 5th, 2021
- ASTRA Reveals 2021 Best Toys for Kids Finalists The Toy Book - The Toy Book - May 5th, 2021
- Is Bioelectricity the Key to Limb Regeneration? - The New Yorker - May 5th, 2021
- The ultimate staycation treat - charter a 1m superyacht, and it's based here in Gosport - Portsmouth News - May 5th, 2021
- Chess.com's New Events Feature, The Perfect Platform To Follow The Candidates - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- Turing AI: 'We can help develop a product in an eighth of the time, minimum' - FoodNavigator.com - April 21st, 2021
- The Machines Gambit - The Good Men Project - April 5th, 2021
- A sandwich, a beer and ... here's what you see on TV (and what to avoid) - Prudent Press Agency - April 5th, 2021
- Spurning the morsel - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- Is AI Next in REI Education? - Think Realty - April 5th, 2021
- The IBM 305 Ramac: The secret grandfather of Deep Blue? - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- Feeding the flames - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- NEW - Andrew Martin: The Grnfeld Formula - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- War Of The Wingmen: New Robot Fighters Promise To Transform Aerial Combat - Forbes - March 9th, 2021
- Businesses offer help as problems remain in Texas from winter storm - Yahoo News - February 20th, 2021
- Wet Start To The Weekend - Yahoo News - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- What is the secret of Wesley So's success? An interview - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Five Issues Washington Should Consider In Reviewing A Lockheed-Aerojet Merger - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- Why Ricciardo said 'yes' to McLaren the second time they asked RaceFans - RaceFans - February 17th, 2021
- Opera Euro Rapid SF: Carlsen and So reach the final - Chessbase News - February 15th, 2021
- Letters: 'Darlington Borough Council has a terrible record of looking after heritage sites, maybe they shouldn't keep Locomotion No 1' - The Northern... - February 12th, 2021
- Fat Fritz 2.0 - The new number 1 - Chessbase News - February 10th, 2021
- 25 Years Ago, Chess Changed Forever When Deep Blue Beat Garry Kasparov - Slate - February 10th, 2021
- Chess In The COVID Era | Webster Kirkwood Times | timesnewspapers.com - Webster-Kirkwood Times, Inc. - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Things We Want From The Legend Of Zelda's 35th Anniversary - TheGamer - February 7th, 2021
- Travis Kelce is the best tight end in football. Just ask any NFL player. - The Union Leader - February 7th, 2021
- Red Sox Truck Day approaches and theres a different feeling in the air - BoSox Injection - February 4th, 2021
- The future is augmented - The Bookseller - February 4th, 2021
- How to Use a Chess Engine? Your Quick & Effective Guide - February 3rd, 2021
- Stockfish+NNUE, Strongest Chess Engine Ever, To Compete In ... - February 3rd, 2021
- Top Chess Engine Championship - Wikipedia - January 30th, 2021
- Building My Own Chess Engine Andrew Healey - January 30th, 2021
- Stockfish Chess Engine Download - softpedia - January 30th, 2021
- Play Online Chess at Caissa's Web - January 30th, 2021
- Alto AMT Should it be back? - MotorOctane - MotorOctane - January 30th, 2021
- Does the rift in AI matter to marketing? - MarTech Today - January 30th, 2021
- Scientists say dropping acid can help with social anxiety and alcoholism - The Next Web - January 28th, 2021
- Meet Yash Aradhya, a Bengaluru Formula 4 racer and a recipient of the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar - EdexLive - January 25th, 2021
- Dancing, vacuuming, learning: What's next for robots and their creators? - ASU Now - January 23rd, 2021
- Signature Theatre announces cast and dates for 'Simply Sondheim' review - DC Metro Theater Arts - January 23rd, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', 'Shadow Gangs', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 15th, 2021
- Their Uniforms Say Ohio State and Alabama. The Players Are From Everywhere. - The Wall Street Journal - January 13th, 2021
- Ziggurat Interactive Releases First Retro First Friday Pack Of 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 9th, 2021
- TV tonight: another day in paradise for detective Ralf Little - The Guardian - January 9th, 2021
- The Board Games Global Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 13% Between 2021 to 2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- 50 Best TV Shows To Watch In 2021 - Highest Rated Television Series - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - December 29th, 2020
- Red Bull think they have secret weapon to catch Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas | F1 | Sport - TechnoCodex - December 23rd, 2020
- HBO's Industry creators and Myha'la Herrold break down season 1 finale - Entertainment Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Research at Microsoft 2020: Addressing the present while looking to the future - Microsoft - December 22nd, 2020
- Deals of the Week, December 11 to 18 Growth Business roundup - GrowthBusiness.co.uk - December 18th, 2020
- Turns Out Its Pretty Good: Doomscrolling - The Cut - December 18th, 2020
- A Letter to My Kids - The Good Men Project - December 15th, 2020
- Yakuza Remastered Collection On The Way For Xbox & PC - Bleeding Cool News - December 13th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Gets A New Trailer Showing Off The Features - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- Reflections on 40 years: thanks for the memories (we can remember) - NOLA.com - December 9th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum - Tom's Hardware - December 8th, 2020
- AI has almost solved one of biologys greatest challenges how protein unfolds - ThePrint - December 8th, 2020
- Demis Hassabis interview: the kid from the comp who founded DeepMind and cracked a mighty riddle of science - The Times - December 6th, 2020
- Online Chess and Working from Home - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- Full Fischer film in YouTube - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- New C360 CEO Howard Wright Sees Broadcast Tech Putting Fans on the Field of Play - Sports Video Group - December 5th, 2020
- This is what would happen if a Hind took on a Cobra - We Are The Mighty - December 5th, 2020
- Hyundai Takes The Wraps Off Its E-GMP Electric Car Platform - CleanTechnica - December 3rd, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons to Rent an RV when you traveling - The Dubrovnik Times - December 3rd, 2020
- Akron flashback: Some childhood toys you never forget - Akron Beacon Journal - December 1st, 2020
- 24 Comments on GM is Paying Cadillac Dealers to Ditch the Brand... - The Truth About Cars - November 29th, 2020
- Skilling Open QF2: Day of the Comebacks - chess24 - November 27th, 2020
- Jelurida Announces Bridge Champ, an On-Chain Version of the Famous Card Game - IT News Online - November 27th, 2020
- The 37 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 27th, 2020