By Sharon Aron Baron
During Black History Month, the City of Coral Springs is recognizing Black individuals, businesses, or business owners who have positively contributed to the community with outstanding service and/or achievement records.
In January, residents were invited to nominate an individual or business. Categories included educator, public safety personnel, artist, youth under 18 involved in community service, adult contributing to the success of youth, or any Black community member, or business.
Here are those who were nominated.
Dr. Precious Skinner-Osei
Dr. Precious Skinner-Osei
Dr. SkinnerOsei, a Coral Springs resident of 10 years, has worked in partnership with the Coral Springs Police Department since 2017.
She has bridged the gap between the community and the Police Department while mentoring our underserved communitys children and providing students with academic and civic learning.
Her contributions to our community make her not just a role model for the Black Community but the entire Coral Springs community.
Cassandra Brice has lived in Coral Springs for 17 years and served as an SGA Advisor in Coral Springs High School for the past two years.
She has revitalized the program culminating in the schools most recent win at the 2020 Teen Political Forum. As a strong Black woman herself, she imbues strength and determination in all her students.
Rachel Robuste is a Community Liaison at Liberty Elementary and has lived in Coral Springs for 6 years. Focused on helping students feel accepted and confident, she infuses value and self-esteem in each student igniting their potential.
Her work ethic and dedication make her an incredible role model for the Coral Springs Black community.
Winston Clark, Sawgrass Springs Middle School Educator, has lived in Coral Springs for 14 years. Encouraging students to pursue careers in STEM, his direct, yet understanding personality allows and empowers students of all races to achieve high academic standards while being respectful and courteous to their peers.
Christopher Crossman, a six-year resident of Coral Springs, is the Assistant Principal of J.P. Taravella High School and has positively impacted over 3,000 families in the city.
He has demonstrated incredible work ethic and commitment to the community, students, parents, and teachers, serving as a role model to all.
Rolsilla Francis, Behavior Tech at Forest Glenn Middle School, works closely with our Black Youth community, impacting their growth and self-improvement.
Always going above and beyond to make a positive and lasting effect on the students, she often works after hours to gain funding for the program.
Linda Pierre, a Sawgrass Springs Middle School Educator, has been teaching in Coral Springs for 15 years. As a recently named Teacher of the Year, she has commanded the respect of her peers, parents, and the entire community.
Working closely with the U.S. Chess Federation program, she helps bring enrichment to students lives in the city of Coral Springs. Constantly, she goes over and beyond the call of duty as an educator to ensure students at Sawgrass Springs Middle School succeed and are prepared for high school.
Sharon Hannor-Murray is an outstanding Reading and ESOL/ELA Educator at Sawgrass Springs Middle School and has been for the past 22 years.
She has coached Floor Hockey and Volleyball for the SSMS Gators. Notably, she has been an asset to the Coral Springs community by providing parent training and reading resources to students who need an extra boost to improve their reading skills.
Nick Cabral, owner of HYAS Performance, trains students through performance-based activities while also mentoring them to ensure they have good grades, excellent behavior, and be stand up citizens.
He has played an important role in the lives of young Black men who may often need a mentor and someone to help them craft a future for themselves.
Major Collins, resident of Coral Springs for 8 years, is a Federal Officer and the Founder of DadsBeOnDuty.com.
He has hosted Back to School Events, distributing school supplies to the elementary, middle, and high school students throughout the city, and personally assisted families with food, clothing, and toys during the holidays, especially during the pandemic.
Additionally, he has mentored numerous African American fathers in the community who struggled with parental skills to become a better role model for their children.
Pastor Oral Walters has been a fixture in the Black community in Coral Springs, often distributing food and other vital resources to those in need in our community.
Leading a congregation that believes in serving the community, he has been a role model to many in our city.
Damon Penn, Realtor for Keller Williams Real Estate Coral Springs, has been a resident of the city for eight years and has always been very involved in the community.
Focused on giving back, Penn has sponsored city sports teams, led mens ministries, and participated in many local food share outreaches to provide food, gifts, and decorations to less fortunate families, especially during the holiday season.
Donna Denton served the Coral Springs Chamber of Commerce for more than 15 years as an Ambassador to welcome new business owners and help them immerse into the community.
She has served on the Chamber Board of Directors, chaired the Education Committee, and worked for the Chamber for Good, where she built relationships between profit companies and nonprofits.
Donna Denton is a go-to mentor for business owners, and her assistance is widely appreciated and respected.
Alison Clarke-DeSouza is an OB-GYN doctor. In the tumultuous healthcare profession, it is difficult to survive as a single practitioner; however, Dr. DeSouza has been successfully operating in the city of Coral Springs for over 30 years.
She is a selfless and caring educator; she has mentored students on being a good person in the community and volunteers in various city programs.
Grace Carrington has lived in Coral Springs for 25 years.
Rather than sitting on the sidelines, she dives in to help where she can make a difference in others lives.
She is a very active leader in the citys Martin Luther King Scholarship Fund, helping students advance in their career choices and making an impact in their futures.
Lorna Brown-Burton is an active member of the community. She serves on the CRA board.
Glass House Barber and Lounge
The Glass House Barber and Lounge, owned and operated by Rodnel Vedrine, is a local business that has brought much joy to the city while focusing on its mission: to help transform lives from the outside-in.
At this business, they believe in the communitys future by broadcasting that we live here, we work here, and we mentor here. Business owner Vedrine mentors young men on what it means to be responsible, have integrity and be men of valor.
Fat Boyz Barbecue
Fat Boyz Barbecue is of the few local businesses that are Black-owned in Coral Springs. Jarael and Yolanda Holston-Jones have won numerous praises from many South Florida media outlets for their business, and regardless of the pandemic, Fat Boyz Barbecue has remained busy.
Shachouritzy Salon is a Black-owned local business that many residents appreciate and praise.
Owner Shalida Joseph uplifts young girls and women with her talent and passion. Her incredible talent provides young girls with confidence and celebrates their beauty in every way.
Innergy Dance Company
Innergy Dance Company
Innergy Dance Company provides dance classes for youth and adults.
Before becoming a business, Innergy Dance Company started as a dance team at Church by the Glades.
Led by Quency and Porshia Gordon, the business provides dance training to students from age 5 and up and focuses on cultivating leaders in the Coral Springs community.
Jayda Washington-Boothe is a student at Sawgrass Springs Middle School who serves as Broward County Chess Ambassador Queen and advocates for Chess Programs in Coral Springs.
She has accomplished over 500 hours of community service since kindergarten, maintained honor roll status.
Regardless of many setbacks, she has been selected as the 2020 US Rocket and Space Center Scholarship Recipient, Hour of Code Speaker representing Broward County Public Schools, and Top 50 Finalist for Nickelodeon Kid of the Year.
James Johnson is a Coral Springs Field Training Police Officer and a Crisis Intervention Team Member who goes above and beyond to make a difference every day.
He always goes out of his way to help his fellow officers and detectives work cases. During his off-duty time, he works on felony cases, demonstrating his commitment to the community.
Sgt. Ebony Winn
- Training young dogs walking this way and that is a gift these days - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- 'A tactical mind' - The inside story of how Dean Smith became Aston Villa's very own grand master - MSN UK - February 20th, 2021
- This is very unfortunate to have such incident: Jhulan Goswami on Manu Bhaker Delhi Airport incident - India Today - February 20th, 2021
- What prison libraries have to offer insidetime & insideinformation - InsideTime - February 17th, 2021
- Maxfield says unbeaten for Godolphin with stroll in the park win in the Grade 3 Mineshaft at the Fair Grounds - Past The Wire - February 15th, 2021
- Montville Recreation Offering Winter and Spring Programs - TAPinto.net - February 15th, 2021
- New Jersey Fencer Tsapatsaris Moves to Greece for Olympic Dream - The National Herald - February 15th, 2021
- A beautiful mind: Tom Brady has mastered the art of quarterbacking - The Boston Globe - February 7th, 2021
- Gary & Paul O'Donovan: 'Mam always sternly warned to never let a woman get in the way' - Irish Examiner - February 7th, 2021
- Beggars leave behind Jaipurs streets to pick up vocational skills - The Siasat Daily - February 7th, 2021
- Raise of the Sun | Connecticut Pro Basketball | journalinquirer.com - Journal Inquirer - February 6th, 2021
- One Year of On-Demand IT Training Special Promotion - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2021
- Kill the Homothetic Army: Gen. Guy Hubin's Vision of the Future Battlefield - War on the Rocks - February 4th, 2021
- Revealed: The best chambers for training and quality of work 2021 - Legal Cheek - February 3rd, 2021
- Watching The Queens Gambit? Master the game of chess with this extensive training bundle - KSAT San Antonio - February 1st, 2021
- Thomas Tuchels transformation from crazy man to chess-style tactics grandmaster detailed by former team- - The Sun - February 1st, 2021
- MLB Players Are Pissed With Rob Manfred Again, This Time Because Of Possible Spring Training Delay - Awesemo.com - February 1st, 2021
- Three reasons why you should play chess The Badger Herald - UW Badger Herald - January 28th, 2021
- To err is not just human: U of T researchers develop AI that plays chess like a person - News@UofT - January 28th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN - January 28th, 2021
- Chess during downtime: How the Corps wants to increase 'thinking' in Marine infantry - Marine Corps Times - January 26th, 2021
- Using chess to help deal with addictions - Chessbase News - January 26th, 2021
- Gerry Thornley: Without crowds, matches are just upgraded training sessions - The Irish Times - January 26th, 2021
- Here's where Peoria council District 1 candidates stand on taxes, business growth, pensions - Peoria Journal Star - January 26th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN Philippines - January 26th, 2021
- Welcome to FIFA.com News - The Week in Quotes - FIFA.com - January 25th, 2021
- Premier League stars share their tips on how to stay positive during the national lockdown - Ghanasoccernet.com - January 23rd, 2021
- This surprising pre-round warm-up will improve your game, according to a study - Golf.com - January 23rd, 2021
- Brittany Bowe starts abbreviated international season, hungry to return as queen of 1000m - Home of the Olympic Channel - January 23rd, 2021
- The influencer who is a chess star and the Beth Harmon of our time - The Courier - January 15th, 2021
- Former professor and an internationally rated chess player, Raghavan is taking chess to underprivileged k - Times of India - January 9th, 2021
- Ex-Viking Everson Griffen: 'It's Never Been About the Money!' - Heavy.com - January 9th, 2021
- Hobbies: January is the perfect time to explore new activities | GUIDON - Myguidon - January 9th, 2021
- A year like no other: The good, bad and sad of Indian sport in 2020 - Scroll.in - January 4th, 2021
- 17 Hoboken + Jersey City News Stories You Missed This Week - hobokengirl.com - January 4th, 2021
- Stop the pawns! - Chessbase News - December 31st, 2020
- In Beginners, a Writer Takes Up Chess and Surfing and Singing and Juggling and - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- The year of innovation: The 2020 silver linings playbook, brought to you by sport - ESPN India - December 31st, 2020
- How generation Z are taking over the cycling world - Cycling Weekly - December 31st, 2020
- Up close with Anand - BusinessLine - December 31st, 2020
- 8 movies and shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video from 2020 that sparked larger conversations - VOGUE India - December 31st, 2020
- A Discovery of Witches Season 1 Recap - The Nerd Daily - December 29th, 2020
- France and the United States are fighting for the 17-year-old genius. He had to turn away - R&R Magazine (www.randrlife.co.uk) Rest and Relax - December 29th, 2020
- Ghost of the tura: Of lost skills, tradition and language The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 27th, 2020
- Ho, Ho, Hockeytown: A holiday guide to Detroit Red Wings' past, present and future - Detroit Free Press - December 26th, 2020
- Holiday happenings in Pittsburgh, from the Hip Hop Nutcracker online to First Night's virtual celebration - NEXTpittsburgh - December 23rd, 2020
- This Years Lakers Are Just Built Different. Time Will Tell If Thats a Good Thing. - The Ringer - December 23rd, 2020
- Timberwolves must defend to win, and Karl-Anthony Towns knows it - West Central Tribune - December 23rd, 2020
- LESSONS FROM THE PAST 12: Are Indians Too Individualistic? - Moneylife - December 23rd, 2020
- The 2020 Vikings offense is good until it has to be - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 22nd, 2020
- Community groups in the Harborough area get a share of just over 30,000, thanks to the Market Harborough Building Society Charitable Foundation -... - December 20th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Insider - INSIDER - December 18th, 2020
- 2020 in Review | 10 AI Papers That Made an Impact - Synced - December 18th, 2020
- Artoo, take the wheel: U-2 spy plane flies for the first time with an AI co-pilot - DefenseNews.com - December 18th, 2020
- Star Wars: Every Apprentice Palpatine Had (In Canon and Legends) - Screen Rant - December 18th, 2020
- AI co-pilots US Air Force spy plane for the first time - The Next Web - December 18th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Business Insider India - December 18th, 2020
- RING CITY USA OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES AHEAD OF FINAL THURSDAY FIGHT NIGHT OF 2020 Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule,... - December 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Giroud and Kante interview | Official Site - Chelsea FC - December 17th, 2020
- Air Force uses AI on military flight for first time | TheHill - The Hill - December 17th, 2020
- Z-Corp in association with OCC launches online platform to teach chess - Times of Oman - December 16th, 2020
- Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold on What It's Really Like to Endure the Premier League's Notorious "Festive Period" - InsideHook - December 16th, 2020
- The View from 2nd Marine Air Wing: The Perspective of Major General Cederholm - Second Line of Defense - Second Line of Defense - December 16th, 2020
- Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand opens an online academy to find the next Anand - Business Insider India - December 15th, 2020
- 5 Free Ways to Learn How to Play Chess Online and Improve Your Skills - MakeUseOf - December 13th, 2020
- Olympia Parks, Arts and Recreation Courses Go (Mostly) Virtual for Winter 2021 - ThurstonTalk - December 13th, 2020
- Clean and Clear Advantage Recovery drug rehab has open house - Parkersburg News - December 13th, 2020
- Singapore chess and The Queen's Gambit: Has the Netflix show raised interest in the game? - CNA - December 12th, 2020
- Maybe shake hands and move on? - Plainsman - December 11th, 2020
- Media Bashing of Murray Taken to New Lows - Revenge of the Birds - December 11th, 2020
- The real Queens Gambit: Judit Polgar | Culture| Arts, music and lifestyle reporting from Germany - DW (English) - December 9th, 2020
- Dear Adult Leaders: We're Still Teaching Like We're Training 19th Century Factory Workers. Think Beyond Classroom Walls to Nurture Innovators and... - December 9th, 2020
- Facebook Gaming Launches The New Black Gaming Creator Program - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- What the Tech? Gadget Gifts: Chess Set and Mirror - Alabama News - Alabama News Network - December 8th, 2020
- 'Capitalists tend to adopt technologies only as and when they suit their purposes' - Morning Star Online - December 8th, 2020
- Wanderers' Jems Geffrard is ready for 2021: 'We have unfinished business' - Canadian Premier League - December 8th, 2020
- "All we have done really is earned another two weeks' training" - GAA Football & Hurling - December 8th, 2020
- Rob Pelinka, Frank Vogel are excited about the state of the Lakers - Silver Screen and Roll - December 6th, 2020
- Online interactive chess training - The Hindu - December 5th, 2020
- India at the Para Olympiad: In conversation with FM Niranjan Navalgund - Sportskeeda - December 5th, 2020