THOMAS TUCHEL transformed himself from crazy man to chess-style tactics grandmaster.
Former team-mate Holger Betz recalls the new Chelsea boss as a commanding centre-half who was not afraid to have a go at anyone who failed to match his standards in training or a game.
Betz was an up-and-coming goalkeeper at SSV Ulm in the late 1990s when Tuchel was part of the squad trying to secure promotion from Germanys third tier to the Bundesliga.
Betz, an Ulm club legend who is now their goalkeeping coach, said: Thomas was very tall, good at heading and technically very good.
When he was on the field, he was a crazy man for football. He was like Wayne Rooney in being so demanding of other players.
He was a leader, he was always talking on the pitch, shouting, organising the team.
He was a very hard character. He always had problems with other players but I think thats normal in this business and he did not have personal problems with the players in the dressing room after games or training.
Within a year of Betz joining Ulms first team, a knee injury forced Tuchel to quit playing at the age of just 24.
In that 1997-98 season, the club finally achieved promotion and Ulm would make it all the way to the top flight.
Tuchel later admitted: I envied my Ulm team-mates for getting promoted soon after, I couldnt take it.
But former Ulm head coach Ralf Rangnick helped Tuchel redirect his frustration and his passion for the game into coaching. And more than a decade later, he and Betz crossed paths again.
Betz said: I was playing for Ulm in the fourth tier.
By then Thomas was head coach of Mainz but he had come to watch Mainzs second team play against us.
He said to me, Its good that I see you and that you are playing. It shows me I am not so old yet.
By that time, Tuchel was making a name for himself as he surpassed even Jurgen Klopps achievements at Mainz.
Ex-Montenegro midfielder Milorad Pekovic played under Klopp at Mainz and then had a season with Tuchel after he was promoted directly from the clubs youth set-up.
With Tuchel, football is like a game of chess. He has a plan and asks the players to stick to it, he does not rely on improvisation
Pekovic said: That happens very rarely. From the first day, it was obvious he was professional, completely dedicated and studious that he simply knew a lot about football.
He gained authority with his knowledge from the start. That is the case even now with big players and in big clubs, because he has football in his little finger.
Pekovic, now head coach of FK Podgorica, spent time observing Klopp at Liverpool and Tuchel at Borussia Dortmund and is well placed to compare them.
And he said: Klopp is unique. His character and his charisma make him special, and that is something that is not learnt.
"He is an exceptional motivator. He created a family atmosphere in our team, a strong group.
He has a way about him that every player feels equally important, no matter if he is a main player in the team or 20th in the team hierarchy.
Tuchel is not such an open and approachable person. His attitude is professional, he isnt intimate with the players.
Their philosophies, although both place an emphasis on pressing, are also different.
Pekovic said: Klopp gives players more freedom in the game than Tuchel.
"With Tuchel, football is like a game of chess. He has a plan and asks the players to stick to it, he does not rely on improvisation.
Players who accept such demands learn a lot about football as a game, about tactics, and I am convinced that they can progress.
Pekovic believes that if the Chelsea players are ready to listen and learn, Tuchel can do for the Blues what Klopp has done for the Reds.
The 43-year-old said: Tuchel is great at stabilising the team and then strengthening it.
FREE BETS: GET OVER 2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE
He did that from Mainz onwards, wherever he worked. He can do the same at Chelsea.
Hes very ambitious, the Premier League is a great challenge for him.
Klopp has set high standards. Tuchel has both the motivation and the knowledge to do the same things at Chelsea.
Read our Chelsea live blog for the very latest news from the Bridge
View original post here:
- Training young dogs walking this way and that is a gift these days - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- 'A tactical mind' - The inside story of how Dean Smith became Aston Villa's very own grand master - MSN UK - February 20th, 2021
- This is very unfortunate to have such incident: Jhulan Goswami on Manu Bhaker Delhi Airport incident - India Today - February 20th, 2021
- What prison libraries have to offer insidetime & insideinformation - InsideTime - February 17th, 2021
- Maxfield says unbeaten for Godolphin with stroll in the park win in the Grade 3 Mineshaft at the Fair Grounds - Past The Wire - February 15th, 2021
- Montville Recreation Offering Winter and Spring Programs - TAPinto.net - February 15th, 2021
- New Jersey Fencer Tsapatsaris Moves to Greece for Olympic Dream - The National Herald - February 15th, 2021
- A beautiful mind: Tom Brady has mastered the art of quarterbacking - The Boston Globe - February 7th, 2021
- Gary & Paul O'Donovan: 'Mam always sternly warned to never let a woman get in the way' - Irish Examiner - February 7th, 2021
- Beggars leave behind Jaipurs streets to pick up vocational skills - The Siasat Daily - February 7th, 2021
- Raise of the Sun | Connecticut Pro Basketball | journalinquirer.com - Journal Inquirer - February 6th, 2021
- One Year of On-Demand IT Training Special Promotion - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2021
- Kill the Homothetic Army: Gen. Guy Hubin's Vision of the Future Battlefield - War on the Rocks - February 4th, 2021
- Revealed: The best chambers for training and quality of work 2021 - Legal Cheek - February 3rd, 2021
- Coral Springs Recognizes Over 20 Members of the Community During Black History Month - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - February 3rd, 2021
- Watching The Queens Gambit? Master the game of chess with this extensive training bundle - KSAT San Antonio - February 1st, 2021
- MLB Players Are Pissed With Rob Manfred Again, This Time Because Of Possible Spring Training Delay - Awesemo.com - February 1st, 2021
- Three reasons why you should play chess The Badger Herald - UW Badger Herald - January 28th, 2021
- To err is not just human: U of T researchers develop AI that plays chess like a person - News@UofT - January 28th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN - January 28th, 2021
- Chess during downtime: How the Corps wants to increase 'thinking' in Marine infantry - Marine Corps Times - January 26th, 2021
- Using chess to help deal with addictions - Chessbase News - January 26th, 2021
- Gerry Thornley: Without crowds, matches are just upgraded training sessions - The Irish Times - January 26th, 2021
- Here's where Peoria council District 1 candidates stand on taxes, business growth, pensions - Peoria Journal Star - January 26th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN Philippines - January 26th, 2021
- Welcome to FIFA.com News - The Week in Quotes - FIFA.com - January 25th, 2021
- Premier League stars share their tips on how to stay positive during the national lockdown - Ghanasoccernet.com - January 23rd, 2021
- This surprising pre-round warm-up will improve your game, according to a study - Golf.com - January 23rd, 2021
- Brittany Bowe starts abbreviated international season, hungry to return as queen of 1000m - Home of the Olympic Channel - January 23rd, 2021
- The influencer who is a chess star and the Beth Harmon of our time - The Courier - January 15th, 2021
- Former professor and an internationally rated chess player, Raghavan is taking chess to underprivileged k - Times of India - January 9th, 2021
- Ex-Viking Everson Griffen: 'It's Never Been About the Money!' - Heavy.com - January 9th, 2021
- Hobbies: January is the perfect time to explore new activities | GUIDON - Myguidon - January 9th, 2021
- A year like no other: The good, bad and sad of Indian sport in 2020 - Scroll.in - January 4th, 2021
- 17 Hoboken + Jersey City News Stories You Missed This Week - hobokengirl.com - January 4th, 2021
- Stop the pawns! - Chessbase News - December 31st, 2020
- In Beginners, a Writer Takes Up Chess and Surfing and Singing and Juggling and - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- The year of innovation: The 2020 silver linings playbook, brought to you by sport - ESPN India - December 31st, 2020
- How generation Z are taking over the cycling world - Cycling Weekly - December 31st, 2020
- Up close with Anand - BusinessLine - December 31st, 2020
- 8 movies and shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video from 2020 that sparked larger conversations - VOGUE India - December 31st, 2020
- A Discovery of Witches Season 1 Recap - The Nerd Daily - December 29th, 2020
- France and the United States are fighting for the 17-year-old genius. He had to turn away - R&R Magazine (www.randrlife.co.uk) Rest and Relax - December 29th, 2020
- Ghost of the tura: Of lost skills, tradition and language The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 27th, 2020
- Ho, Ho, Hockeytown: A holiday guide to Detroit Red Wings' past, present and future - Detroit Free Press - December 26th, 2020
- Holiday happenings in Pittsburgh, from the Hip Hop Nutcracker online to First Night's virtual celebration - NEXTpittsburgh - December 23rd, 2020
- This Years Lakers Are Just Built Different. Time Will Tell If Thats a Good Thing. - The Ringer - December 23rd, 2020
- Timberwolves must defend to win, and Karl-Anthony Towns knows it - West Central Tribune - December 23rd, 2020
- LESSONS FROM THE PAST 12: Are Indians Too Individualistic? - Moneylife - December 23rd, 2020
- The 2020 Vikings offense is good until it has to be - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 22nd, 2020
- Community groups in the Harborough area get a share of just over 30,000, thanks to the Market Harborough Building Society Charitable Foundation -... - December 20th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Insider - INSIDER - December 18th, 2020
- 2020 in Review | 10 AI Papers That Made an Impact - Synced - December 18th, 2020
- Artoo, take the wheel: U-2 spy plane flies for the first time with an AI co-pilot - DefenseNews.com - December 18th, 2020
- Star Wars: Every Apprentice Palpatine Had (In Canon and Legends) - Screen Rant - December 18th, 2020
- AI co-pilots US Air Force spy plane for the first time - The Next Web - December 18th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Business Insider India - December 18th, 2020
- RING CITY USA OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES AHEAD OF FINAL THURSDAY FIGHT NIGHT OF 2020 Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule,... - December 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Giroud and Kante interview | Official Site - Chelsea FC - December 17th, 2020
- Air Force uses AI on military flight for first time | TheHill - The Hill - December 17th, 2020
- Z-Corp in association with OCC launches online platform to teach chess - Times of Oman - December 16th, 2020
- Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold on What It's Really Like to Endure the Premier League's Notorious "Festive Period" - InsideHook - December 16th, 2020
- The View from 2nd Marine Air Wing: The Perspective of Major General Cederholm - Second Line of Defense - Second Line of Defense - December 16th, 2020
- Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand opens an online academy to find the next Anand - Business Insider India - December 15th, 2020
- 5 Free Ways to Learn How to Play Chess Online and Improve Your Skills - MakeUseOf - December 13th, 2020
- Olympia Parks, Arts and Recreation Courses Go (Mostly) Virtual for Winter 2021 - ThurstonTalk - December 13th, 2020
- Clean and Clear Advantage Recovery drug rehab has open house - Parkersburg News - December 13th, 2020
- Singapore chess and The Queen's Gambit: Has the Netflix show raised interest in the game? - CNA - December 12th, 2020
- Maybe shake hands and move on? - Plainsman - December 11th, 2020
- Media Bashing of Murray Taken to New Lows - Revenge of the Birds - December 11th, 2020
- The real Queens Gambit: Judit Polgar | Culture| Arts, music and lifestyle reporting from Germany - DW (English) - December 9th, 2020
- Dear Adult Leaders: We're Still Teaching Like We're Training 19th Century Factory Workers. Think Beyond Classroom Walls to Nurture Innovators and... - December 9th, 2020
- Facebook Gaming Launches The New Black Gaming Creator Program - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- What the Tech? Gadget Gifts: Chess Set and Mirror - Alabama News - Alabama News Network - December 8th, 2020
- 'Capitalists tend to adopt technologies only as and when they suit their purposes' - Morning Star Online - December 8th, 2020
- Wanderers' Jems Geffrard is ready for 2021: 'We have unfinished business' - Canadian Premier League - December 8th, 2020
- "All we have done really is earned another two weeks' training" - GAA Football & Hurling - December 8th, 2020
- Rob Pelinka, Frank Vogel are excited about the state of the Lakers - Silver Screen and Roll - December 6th, 2020
- Online interactive chess training - The Hindu - December 5th, 2020
- India at the Para Olympiad: In conversation with FM Niranjan Navalgund - Sportskeeda - December 5th, 2020