The first ever Barak Valley Open Chess Tournament Winter edition has commenced in the spirit of International FIDE Rating competition. Organized by the Cachar District Chess Association (CDCA) in collaboration with Rotary Club, Silchar, a total of 63 players have participated in this edition, among which 26 are International FIDE rated chess players.
After successfully organising Silchar Open International FIDE Rating Chess tournament in 2018, this is the first state level chess tournament taking place in the entire North-East region. Owing to the All India Chess Federation (AICF) not starting the International FIDE Rating tournament calendar yet amidst the pandemic, the CDCA has taken the initiative to organise this tournament under the banner of All Assam Chess Association (AACA).
The inaugural session of the event took place in the Rotary Club of Silchar, Tarapur in the auspicious presence of Dilip Kumar Ram, Superintendent Postmaster of the Cachar Post Office, Shiv Prasad Dutta, Service Director of Rotary Club of Silchar, Former District Governor Arijit Endaw, President of CDCA Dr. Charvak, General Secretary of AACA Rajiv Dhar, General Secretary of CDCA, Nirmalya Chakraborty, and Vice-President of AACA, Bibendu Das.
Usually in Cachar district, every local tournament is being moderated by normal arbiters with normal clocks and everything. But this particular tournament everything weve tried to keep upto the FIDE standards, starting with national level chess boards having its own clock, FIDE rated International arbiters, everything including the atmosphere according to FIDE style, said the General Secretary of CDCA, Nirmalya Chakraborty.
He also said that the tournament will be moderated by International arbiter Pradip Kumar Roy from Tripura, who is a FIDE rated arbiter.
During the session, The President of CDCA, Dr. Charvak thanked Rotary Club of Silchar, Agartala Matrix Chess Academy, Late chess player Santanu Singha, Late Karuna Sindhu Dey, Late Rakesh Ranjan Dhar, and the family of Ranbir Dhar for their unflinching support and in help that theyve provided in organizing the tournament.
Keeping in accordance with the FIDE standard time limit, every player at the start of each round will get 45 minutes and with each move will get 10 seconds more. The two-day tournament has been divided into 3 rounds per day. At the start of the tournament, top seeded player Rajib Dhar had 2052 FIDE Rating points in his bag, followed by Soram Rahul Singh having 2051 rating points. At the conclusion of the day, sitting at the top bagging three points in three rounds are Soram Rahul Singh, Rajib Dhar, Rajdip Das, Iftikhar Alom Mazumdar, Bibendu Das, Abhinav Paul, Abhrajyoti Nath and Ballyr Sinha.
- Veteran chess player teaches patience and strategy with Labor Day weekend tournament - WPTV.com - September 4th, 2021
- Chess federation to host tournament Oct. 3 at Ypao Beach - The Guam Daily Post - September 4th, 2021
- 100 Women Who Care NPO needs sponsors to host a chess tournament - Midrand Reporter - September 4th, 2021
- Kids run, a chess tournament and new kid space at ETHS - Knox TN Today - August 23rd, 2021
- Fiji Chess gears up for another online tournament - FBC News - August 9th, 2021
- Dobbs Ferry Chess Champion Competing in National Tournament - The Hudson Indy Westchester's Rivertowns News - - The Hudson Independent - July 25th, 2021
- Chess: Viswanathan Anand to return to over-the-board action after a year with Croatia tournament - Scroll.in - July 10th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 4 Winners ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: 3 Winners In Final ... - Chess - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Tournaments, Tech Giants And $100,000 In Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - June 28th, 2021
- New Chess Tournament Features $100K BTC Reward for the Winner - Live Bitcoin News - May 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency : World chess tournament will award bitcoin to its winners Explica .co - Explica - May 30th, 2021
- How 9-year-old Delhi Boy Raised Funds in Online Chess Tournament to Aid Covid Relief Efforts - Yahoo India News - May 30th, 2021
- Two grandmasters will play in the "European Parliamentary Friendship Online Chess Tournament" - Chessbase News - April 21st, 2021
- FIDE Candidates Tournament: Giri Strikes, Moves Into Second-Place Tie - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- Invitational chess tournament to be held in Benin for IDSDP | sportanddev.org - sportanddev.org - April 5th, 2021
- Open Air Chess Tournament at Sugar Land Town Square - 365 Things to Do in Houston - March 9th, 2021
- Back in the game: Karpov to play classical tournament in Malm - Chessbase News - March 9th, 2021
- All or nothing: How Wijk aan Zee pulled off its 'most challenging' chess tournament - ESPN - February 3rd, 2021
- Success at Satu Mare in the online national chess tournament for the age group - CampusLATELY - January 26th, 2021
- Another weekend on-line chess tournament - Sunday Observer - January 25th, 2021
- World famous Hastings chess tournament takes place this weekend - Hastings Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Rook No Further! Coral Springs Holds Open Play Chess and Tournament - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - January 6th, 2021
- Azeri-Jewish Chess Grandmaster Radjabov in tears after winning tournament - The Jerusalem Post - January 6th, 2021
- Beccacece and a chess tournament with the Racing kids - Inspired Traveler - December 16th, 2020
- Young Chess Stars Meet in a Winner Take All Tournament Checkmate! - The Zebra - December 9th, 2020
- For the love of the game: Tournament chess returns to Virginia, pandemic or not - WTOP - November 16th, 2020
- Costumed players bring success for first Chess Halloween Tournament - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - November 6th, 2020
- 14-year-old Mendonca wins chess tournament in Hungary - The Tribune India - October 28th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Postponed Until Spring 2021 - Chess.com - October 17th, 2020
- How To Play In US Chess Online Rated Tournaments - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- CCPS hosting in-person chess tournament, limited to students in Grades 4-12 - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - October 7th, 2020
- Irshad Mohammed walks away with top spot in latest round of chess tournament - Stabroek News - October 7th, 2020
- On Chess: Returning To Over The Board Chess Tournaments - St. Louis Public Radio - October 3rd, 2020
- So Leads Saint Louis Tournament Before Blitz Games - Chess.com - September 19th, 2020
- FIDE Candidates Tournament Resumes November 1 - Chess.com - September 9th, 2020
- Forks The final of the chess value tournament ended with a historic title distribution due to a server problem - Pledge Times - September 1st, 2020
- The United States Chess Federation - Clubs & Tournaments - August 21st, 2020
- Norway Chess to be 1st over-the-board super-tournament since March - chess24 - August 19th, 2020
- Chess Tournaments Calendar: July 2020 - Chess.com - August 15th, 2020
- Fishbein, Park, Liang, and Xie win at Tournaments of State Champions - uschess.org - August 12th, 2020
- Hikaru to host Chess tournament headlined by xQc, IWillDominate - Dot Esports - August 11th, 2020
- Leon Mendonca wins on board chess tournament in Hungary - The Hindu - June 24th, 2020
- The International Tournament in Bamberg starts! - Chessbase News - June 24th, 2020
- Chess Lovers in the Costa del Sol Unite as Malaga Will Host an Online Tournament This Saturday - Euro Weekly News - June 24th, 2020