By Rich Crislip
A new year brings new resolutions for many and those New Years resolutions could also lead to some health benefits.
According to a report published in JAMA, setting resolutions actually has practical value for older people and can impact their health positively providing a sense of purpose, which leads to better physical and mental health.
The year 2020 came with heaping amounts of stress, social isolation, and worry surrounding the novel coronavirus. Entering a new year can be the perfect time to start fresh and establish some new and healthier habits.
According to the JAMA study, creating New Years resolutions and goals can provide older adults with a purpose in life which may extend their life resulting in fewer chronic conditions, less disability, and reduced mortality. Also, people already suffering from chronic conditions should set up simple and realistic goals that are manageable with their health challenges.
New Years resolution ideas for older adults to promote a healthy life:
Staying active is a great goal to have each year. While some workout opportunities have become limited due to the pandemic, it is still important to stay as active as possible through home exercise. Adults can engage in resistance training at home, aerobics, yoga, and walks around the neighborhood. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, regular physical activity is vital for healthy aging. Its important to talk with your doctor before significantly increasing your activity level. Ask about the amounts and types of activities that may be best for you.
Checkout OptumCares wellness program of free online videos that includes physical, mental, and emotional wellness exercises!
Home-cooked meals and healthy snacks are recommended. If youre restricted to a special diet after developing an allergy or other condition, talk to your doctor about your meal plan.
Depending on how theyre prepared, home-cooked meals can often have lower levels of sodium, sugar, and fat when compared to meals at a restaurant. Check out OptumCares two-minute tip on meal planning here!
It is important to practice a form of daily brain stimulation. According to the National Institutes of Aging, aging causes changes to the brain size, vasculature, and cognition. A healthy life, both physically and mentally, may be the best defense against the changes of an aging brain. Completing crossword puzzles and playing games such as chess can be fun ways to keep your mind active while enjoying a new hobby . However, there is a lot more older adults can do!
Check out this fun activity to help keep your mind active!
A dose of family and friends can be beneficial. The National Institute of Health mentions that older people with strong social and community ties are more likely to live a longer life, and cites research that being in isolation can contribute to high blood pressure. It is recommended adults stay in touch with loved ones virtually or safely socially distanced inside or outdoors. If youre not familiar with certain video call or messaging apps, this is the perfect opportunity to learn more about the technology your family is using. Make it a goal to learn something new this year!
According to the National Institute on Aging, people who engage in activities or hobbies can feel happier and healthier. Learning new skills can also increase cognitive function. Music, theater, dance, and creative writing are ways to improve the well-being of older adults. These specific interests can help with memory, boost self-esteem, reduce stress, and increase social interactions.
Are you looking for something new to learn? How about an art class to stimulate your brain and improve mental health? Here is a great art exercise that you can easily do from the comfort of your own home!
Editors Note: Rich Crislip is director of behavioral health integration, OptumCare Network of Arizona.
Read the original:
- Tactics - for fun and to improve - Chessbase News - July 25th, 2021
- I Expect You to Die 2 preview: The spy with the golden eye for puzzles - Android Central - July 25th, 2021
- Dr's Casebook: Keeping your brain active really does delay Alzheimers - Batley and Birstall News - July 25th, 2021
- Tetragon Will Be Released On PC & Console Mid-August - Bleeding Cool News - July 25th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Freddy Spaghetti 2', 'Gaps by POWGI', '112 Operator', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - July 25th, 2021
- Programs with the Medfield Library, week of July 9-15 - Wicked Local - July 10th, 2021
- Fifty years of The Spectator crossword - Spectator.co.uk - July 10th, 2021
- Sea of Thieves A Pirate's Life Tall Tale Journal Locations Guide - SegmentNext - June 28th, 2021
- Silver Blade Key Sea Of Thieves - How To Make The Water Rise - GosuNoob.com - June 28th, 2021
- 13 Ways You're Ruining Your Body After 60, Say Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 28th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: Reviews Featuring 'Mighty Goose' and More, Plus the Latest Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - June 11th, 2021
- Criminal justice reform: Innovative RI program seeks to break cycle of incarceration - The Providence Journal - May 30th, 2021
- Game Over - The New York Times - May 30th, 2021
- Programs with the Medfield Library, week of May 28-June 4 - Wicked Local - May 30th, 2021
- Starsand Is Headed To Steam Early Access In Q4 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - May 30th, 2021
- Trove Is Finally Getting Released On Nintendo Switch Bleeding Cool News - Bleeding Cool News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess Knights: Shinobi Is Making Its Move On Switch Soon - Nintendo Life - May 18th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Subnautica + Subnautica: Below Zero' Review, Today's New Releases, and the Latest Sales - Touch Arcade - May 18th, 2021
- International Day of Families: 6 Ways to build a blissful relationship with your family amid COVID 19 crisis - PINKVILLA - May 18th, 2021
- A psychologist says parents of 'exceptionally resilient and successful' kids always do these 7 things: 'Yes, some are a little intense' - CNBC - May 18th, 2021
- Science of Guinness World Records - The Dallas Morning News - May 5th, 2021
- Exclusive: Decoding MPL's secondary transaction and shareholding pattern - Entrackr - May 5th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: Reviews Featuring 'R-Type Final 2', 'Smelter', and More, Plus the Latest Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - May 5th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov launches chess gaming platform with lessons from experts and 50,000 puzzles - Game World Observer - April 21st, 2021
- A Guide To Mindfulness: Why You Need To Start Training Your Mind (And How You Can Begin) - Entrepreneur - April 21st, 2021
- 33 Things To Help You Pick Up A New Hobby This Spring - BuzzFeed - April 21st, 2021
- An Analysis of the Mechanics and Narrative of Superliminal - Gamasutra - April 21st, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence: Unseating the Inevitability Narrative - Discovery Institute - April 21st, 2021
- Puzzle Bobble VR: Vacation Odyssey Receives A Release Date - Bleeding Cool News - April 21st, 2021
- A Week at the Library of the Chathams Monday, April 5 Sunday, April 11, 2021 - TAPinto.net - April 5th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 5th, 2021
- It Takes Two review: This is how it runs on PC - Laptop Mag - April 5th, 2021
- A glimpse to the future: Song and guitar gets OHCHS senior through pandemic - Lewiston Sun Journal - April 5th, 2021
- Bengal hues, blues - The Tribune India - April 5th, 2021
- Resident Evil 2: Everything You Didnt Know About The 2nd Run - TheGamer - March 9th, 2021
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 9th, 2021
- We Were Here Too Review (PS4) - A Solid Sequel And The Best Showcase Of The Series' Unique Mechanics - PlayStation Universe - March 9th, 2021
- Little Nightmares 2: Every Puzzle In The School And How To Solve Each One Of Them - TheGamer - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Puzzles | The Chess Website - March 9th, 2021
- Video Game Review: Fights In Tight Spaces Gives John Wick Action With Deck Building Strategy - Patch.com - March 9th, 2021
- How to Solve The Chess Puzzle in Little Nightmares 2 - Screen Rant - February 20th, 2021
- Soapbox: We Were Here, the Free PS4 Game No One Will Play with Me - Push Square - February 17th, 2021
- The First 10 Games Released On The PS2 (In Chronological Order) - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- 6 virtual team building ideas for when you're sick of Zoom - Fast Company - February 17th, 2021
- Evil aspidistras and Noel Edmonds - how an obscure quiz show helped shape gaming in the 80s - Eurogamer.net - February 15th, 2021
- Love in the time of COVID-19 in Santa Fe - Santa Fe New Mexican - February 15th, 2021
- Little Nightmares 2 secret ending: Where to find the glitching remains? - Republic TV - February 15th, 2021
- Thorny Puzzle Title Room To Grow Is Coming To PC This Month - Bleeding Cool News - February 15th, 2021
- Little Nightmares 2 School walkthrough: Heres how to complete the puzzle - Republic TV - February 15th, 2021
- Looking Back to 1991 and the inimitable Lemmings - TheXboxHub - February 15th, 2021
- Co-op puzzler We Were Here is available on PS4 for free now - PlayStation.Blog - February 12th, 2021
- Little Nightmares 2: How to Solve the Chess Puzzle - Twinfinite - February 12th, 2021
- Downingtown East student develops state-of-the-art chess guidebook - Daily Local News - February 12th, 2021
- 7 Ways to Ensure Better Mental Health as an Entrepreneur in 2021 - Influencive - February 6th, 2021
- Out of the Woodwork - www.smileypete.com - February 4th, 2021
- Tactical skills meet RPGs in the wild world of 'Disgaea' - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - February 3rd, 2021
- Learn more chess strategies and improve your knowledge to win with 'Legal Attack' - StreetInsider.com - February 3rd, 2021
- Mundaun Gets A Behind-The-Scenes Video Showing Development - Bleeding Cool News - February 1st, 2021
- 10 pcs Games To play if you like the table Games - BollyInside - February 1st, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'G-Mode Zanac', 'Bonkies', 'Chill Panda', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 30th, 2021
- Castling on iOS the Chess Game you want during lockdown | Invision Game Community - Invision Game Community - January 28th, 2021
- The Girl Who Walked Away - The New York Times - January 28th, 2021
- Making a splash: how Ocean Spray and Chess.com surfed cultural waves to marketing success - The Drum - January 26th, 2021
- Spring Hour Of Chess Week: February 22-26, 2021 - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - January 26th, 2021
- "When I won, it took a while to sink in" - National Chess Champion Jake Darmanin - Newsbook - January 26th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Solas 128', 'Seal Electric Railway', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 26th, 2021
- Scarlet Hood & The Wicked Wood Heads To Steam In February - Bleeding Cool News - January 25th, 2021
- Big Brother: The 10 Most Creative Veto Competitions, Ranked - Screen Rant - January 25th, 2021
- I Figured Out How Tall The Sexy Resident Evil Lady Is Because Of Course I Did - Kotaku - January 25th, 2021
- Meet the Puzzle Makers of New York Times Games - The New York Times - January 23rd, 2021
- Wonder what the best-selling tabletop games are? - ABC10.com KXTV - January 23rd, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Colorful Colore', 'Timothy & the Mysterious Forest', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 23rd, 2021
- Neko Ghost, Jump! Is Headed To PC & Consoles, No Word Of Atari VCS - Bleeding Cool News - January 20th, 2021
- AI can solve Rubik's cubeand tell us how it did it. - Fast Company - January 20th, 2021
- Silver Chains Is Headed To Console On January 29th - Bleeding Cool News - January 20th, 2021
- Monstrum 2 Enters Steam Early Access This Month - Bleeding Cool News - January 15th, 2021
- Top 5 Chess streamers to watch on Twitch in 2021 - Daily Esports - January 15th, 2021
- Whats on TV This Week: President Joe Biden's inauguration - Los Angeles Times - January 15th, 2021
- The best games to play with friends over Zoom, from Psych to Heads Up - The Independent - January 15th, 2021
- Terry Winston Wilson Obituary - Lynchburg, VA | The News & Advance - Legacy.com - January 13th, 2021