After a troubled year of cancellations, disruptions and migrations to online play, the chess world is starting 2021 on a refreshing note of normalcy an actual over-the-board elite tournament played at classical time controls in one of the great traditional venues for the game.
Norwegian world chess champ Magnus Carlsen and American No. 1 Fabiano Caruana top a 14-grandmaster field at the 83rd Tata Steel Chess Tournament now underway in the chess-mad Dutch seaside city of Wijk aan Zee. There have been some COVID-19 concessions: The events lower-level invitationals have been scrubbed, as have a host of popular open satellite events. A couple of entrants had to drop out over health or travel concerns.
Still, its a start, and Carlsen and Caruana have treated us to a couple of fine games right out of the box.
Carlsen was channeling his inner Tal in the very first round against rising Iranian superstar GM Alireza Firouzja, launching a highly speculative attack that paid off when Black couldnt find his way through the tactical thickets. Play is about equal in this Queens Gambit Declined after 12. 0-0 cxd4 13. cxd4, with White having a strong center and more space but Black enjoying a 2-1 queenside pawn majority.
But Carlsen is clearly trying to sharpen the play, offering two pawns to open lines with 23. d5!? exd5 24. e5 Ne4 25. Qd4 Rdc8 26. Raa1 a5 27. Rab1 Bc6 28. e6!? (interesting was 28. Rb6!? threatening 29. Rxc6! Rxc6 30. Qxd5 Rac8 31. Rxe4, winning Bd7 29. Qxd5 Nc5! 30. g3 Be6 31. Qxa8 Rxa8 32. gxf4 Nxd3, with chances for both sides) fxe6 29. Ne5, with strong pressure on the Black position.
As in so many Tal games, Black here defends coolly right up to the point where he doesnt: 33. Ng4 Qd8 34. Rxe6 Nxe6 35. Qxe6+ Bf7?? (finally missing a must move; mandatory here was 35Kh8!, when Black meets the scary 36. Qf5 with 36Qb6+! 37. Kh1 Bg6! 38. Qxg6 Qxg6 39. Bxg6 a3 40. Ra1 a2 41. Ne5 Ra5, and its White who faces problems) 36. Nxh6+!, tearing up Blacks defensive shield.
Theres no place to hide after 36gxh6 37. Qxh6 (threatening 38. Bh7+ Kh8 39. Bg6+ and mate in a few) Qc7 38. Qh7+ Kf8 39. Qh8+ Bg8 40. Qh6+, and Firouzja resigned, not needing to see 40Kf7 41. Bg6+ Kf6 42. Be8+ Kf5 43. g4 mate.
Caruana displayed some fine attacking chops a round later against German GM Alexander Donchenko, in a classic Slav QGD battle in which Black uses Whites pawn sacrifices against him to whip up a winning counterattack.
Like Carlsen, Donchenko sacrifices a pawn with 20. e6!? to open attacking lines, but unlike Firouzja, Caruana has no interest in passive defense: 20Qd5! 21. exf7+ Kf8! (the pawn on f7 actually hinders Whites attack; now. 22. Qxg6 is met by 22Rh6 23. Qb1 c4 24. Rhf1 c3, breaching the castle walls) 22. h4 Qxa2 23. Qxg6 b3 24. Be1 c4! 25. Rxd4 (Qxb6?? Qa1+ 26. Kd2 Qxb2 mate) Na4 26. Qb1 (see diagram), when White appears a move away from consolidating; e.g. 26Rh6?! 27. Rxc4 Nb6 28. Bc3! Nxc4 29. Bxc4, with at least equality.
But Black is just warming up: 26Ba3!! 27. Qxa2 (bxa3 b2+ 28. Kc2 Qb3+ 29. Kd2 Qc3+ 30. Kd1 Qxd4+ 31. Bd2 Rd8 cleans up) bxa2 28. Kc2 Rb8! (much more incisive than 28a1=Q? 29. Bb4+ Bxb4 30. Rxa1 Nb6 31. Bxc4 and White has hope) 29. Rd8+ (Bc3 Nxc3 30. bxc3 Rb2+ 31. Kd1 a1=Q mate) Rxd8 30. bxa3 c3! accurate to the end, as, again, 30a1=Q?? lets White off the hook with 31. Bb4+ Kxf7 32. Bxc4+ Kf6 33. Rxa1.
Its over after 31. Bg3 (Bxc3 Rc8 32. Kb3 Nxc3 wins) Rd2+ 32. Kb3 Nc5+, and Donchenko resigns as after 33. Kc4 Ne4 he faces major material losses.
Carlsen-Firouzja, 83rd Tata Steel Chess, Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands, January 2021
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Nc3 Nbd7 5. Bg5 h6 6. Bh4 Be7 7. cxd5 Nxd5 8. Bxe7 Qxe7 9. e4 Nxc3 10. bxc3 O-O 11. Bd3 c5 12. O-O cxd4 13. cxd4 b6 14. a4 Bb7 15. a5 bxa5 16. Rxa5 Nf6 17. Re1 Rfd8 18. Qa1 Qc7 19. h3 a6 20. Rc5 Qf4 21. Re5 Nd7 22. Ra5 Nf6 23. d5 exd5 24. e5 Ne4 25. Qd4 Rdc8 26. Raa1 a5 27. Rab1 Bc6 28. e6 fxe6 29. Ne5 Qf6 30. f3 Ng5 31. Rb6 Be8 32. Qe3 a4 33. Ng4 Qd8 34. Rxe6 Nxe6 35. Qxe6+ Bf7 36. Nxh6+ gxh6 37. Qxh6 Qc7 38. Qh7+ Kf8 39. Qh8+ Bg8 40. Qh6+ Black resigns.
Donchenko-Caruana, 83rd Tata Steel Chess, Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands, January 2021
1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. e3 Bf5 5. Nc3 e6 6. Nh4 Be4 7. f3 Bg6 8. Bd2 Be7 9. Nxg6 hxg6 10. Qc2 Nbd7 11. O-O-O a6 12. g4 dxc4 13. Bxc4 b5 14. Be2 c5 15. d5 Nxd5 16. Nxd5 exd5 17. f4 b4 18. e4 d4 19. e5 Nb6 20. e6 Qd5 21. exf7+ Kf8 22. h4 Qxa2 23. Qxg6 b3 24. Be1 c4 25. Rxd4 Na4 26. Qb1 Ba3 27. Qxa2 bxa2 28. Kc2 Rb8 29. Rd8+ Rxd8 30. bxa3 c3 31. Bg3 Rd2+ 32. Kb3 Nc5+ White resigns.
David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grand Chess Tour Returns to Board With Superbet Classic in Romania - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- Abhimanyu Mishra: World's youngest grandmaster in the making - THE WEEK - June 11th, 2021
- Catch The Clash's grand champions in today's episode of 'Rise Up Stronger: The Road to NCAA Season 96' - GMA Network - June 11th, 2021
- Chess on the water at Hempel World Cup Series - Allianz Regatta - International Sailing Federation - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan to battle Viswanathan Anand in a game of chess to raise money for fighting Covid-19 - The Indian Express - June 11th, 2021
- Asian Zonal Hybrid Chess Ranindu wins to reach third place - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - June 11th, 2021
- FTX Crypto Cup: Caruana wins the prelims, Carlsen and Nepo qualify - Chessbase News - May 30th, 2021
- Throwback Thursday: Ivanchuk wins the 2016 World Rapid Championship - Chessbase News - May 18th, 2021
- Anish Giri wins the Mr Dodgy Invitational again! - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- US Trainer Khachiyan Recognized by FIDE, Wins First Liu Wenzhe Award - uschess.org - May 18th, 2021
- Coronavirus | Good response to GMs moves - The Hindu - May 18th, 2021
- MDI 2, Day 2: Jobava dances to win over Grischuk - chess24 - May 18th, 2021
- On chess: Grandmaster Ian Nepomniachtchi Wins FIDE Candidates, Qualifying To Face face Magnus Carlsen In The World Chess Championship - St. Louis... - May 5th, 2021
- How NOT To Improve At Chess - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Editors Picks: 11 Events for Your Calendar This Week, From a Chess Grandmaster at the Rubin to a Modern Spin on Artemisia Gentileschi - artnet News - May 5th, 2021
- Let's talk about the Candidates... with Eric van Reem and Jonathan Tisdall - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- The Mind Hack Will Smith Uses to Stay Focused and Motivated - menshealth.com - May 5th, 2021
- Nepomniachtchi: 'I Don't Have The Tendency To Downgrade Myself' - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- The Armageddon of cancel culture - TheArticle - May 5th, 2021
- Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Candidates Round 14: Ding, MVL and Alekseenko finish on a high note - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- World #6 chess grandmaster compares watching esports to watching chess - PC Gamer - April 21st, 2021
- Worth the Wait in Gold: Caruana Wins in Candidates Restart - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- Will Smith Reveals His Favorite Moment From 'The Pursuit of Happyness' - Yahoo Entertainment - April 21st, 2021
- Square Off is a smart chessboard that lets you challenge opponents anywhere - Boing Boing - April 21st, 2021
- Lime and its competitors plan to flood parts of NYC with e-scooters - Mashable - April 21st, 2021
- Rising Through The Ranks: Queens 12-Year-Old Has Eyes On One Day Being Chess Grandmaster - CBS New York - April 5th, 2021
- Explained: Can Grandmasters cheat in online chess and get away? - The Indian Express - April 5th, 2021
- an ode to chess - The Brown Daily Herald - April 5th, 2021
- FIDE World University Championship Participants Disqualified Without 'Proof Of Actual Cheating' - Chess.com - April 5th, 2021
- BINGE IT!: Netflix's 'The Queen's Gambit' teaches the game of life through chess - WALB - April 5th, 2021
- On Chess: Online Chess Interest Soars Since The Start Of The Pandemic - St. Louis Public Radio - April 5th, 2021
- Instructive endgames from the European Club Cup - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- The Meeple Guild: Chess in Canada: Part II - Yorkton This Week - April 5th, 2021
- Euro Club Cup: Clichy and Deizisau in the lead - Chessbase News - April 5th, 2021
- Chess: Guildford, unbeaten for eight years, find the strongest ever Eurocup a bridge too far - Financial Times - April 5th, 2021
- IBM's New Debater AI is a Terrible Idea, Here's Why - Digital Information World - April 5th, 2021
- Go From Chess Beginner To Master With This Mega Bundle Of Courses, Now Less Than $40 - IGN Southeast Asia - February 20th, 2021
- AI mistakes black and white chess chat for racism - The Independent - February 20th, 2021
- This aluminum chessboard and its iconic chess pieces have been crafted for the millennial grandmasters - Yanko Design - February 17th, 2021
- AICF to start Indian Chess League - The Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Why our relationship with young achievers is so complicated - BBC News - February 17th, 2021
- Chess: Wesley So notches another title at world No. 1 Magnus Carlsens expense - ABS-CBN News - February 17th, 2021
- Were all content businesses: esports orgs borrow from the media owners playbook in search for new revenues - Digiday - February 15th, 2021
- Titled Tuesday: Svidler Winning With Grunfeld - Chess.com - February 12th, 2021
- A chess game without chess - Knight's Retreat is now on Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4 and Switch - TheXboxHub - February 12th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit and The Modern Era of Chess - The Oberlin Review - February 12th, 2021
- Opera Euro Rapid QF: Carlsen, So and MVL off to winning starts - Chessbase News - February 12th, 2021
- Fat Fritz 2: The Best of Both Worlds - Chessbase News - February 12th, 2021
- Morning sports update: Bart Scott thinks Patriots fans will run Bill Belichick out of town without quarterback fix - Boston.com - February 12th, 2021
- LeBron James' longevity and consistency will define him in the end as Los Angeles Lakers push for another title - Sky Sports - February 12th, 2021
- Loving the Alien | chess24.com - chess24 - February 10th, 2021
- Levon Aronian's mother speaks in defense of her son - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - February 10th, 2021
- The Queen's Gambit: Why Beth Ending Up Single Was The Best Choice - Screen Rant - February 7th, 2021
- Chess grandmaster rates 7 chess scenes in movies and TV for accuracy - Insider - Insider - February 6th, 2021
- Equity derivatives house of the year: Citi - Risk.net - February 6th, 2021
- Chess Is a Netflix Star. How About Other Games? - The Wall Street Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Four Americans to Play in Third Champions Tour Event - uschess.org - February 6th, 2021
- Here are some films based on sports that are in the pipeline - The Tribune India - February 6th, 2021
- Soccer looks to AI for an edge: Could an algorithm really predict injuries? - ESPN - February 6th, 2021
- How the Queens Gambit Made Me a Better Investor - Wealth Morning - February 6th, 2021
- Nihal Sarin: Well-guided and on the right path - Sportstar - February 4th, 2021
- Shane Battier says there was no player he wanted to beat more than Kobe - Silver Screen and Roll - February 3rd, 2021
- COLUMN: Hobbies are essential in the pandemic - The Depaulia - February 1st, 2021
- Tony Romo on Super Bowl for Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes - The Athletic - February 1st, 2021
- What Thanos Black Order Did After His Death in the Comics - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2021
- 15 People Whose IQs Are Higher Than Albert Einstein's and What They Do For a Living - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 28th, 2021
- Chess: Carlsen loses to 18-year-old Russian as a new generation surges at Wijk - Financial Times - January 26th, 2021
- Niemann on Earning the GM Title | US Chess.org - uschess.org - January 26th, 2021
- The ultimate Grandmaster | Opinion | kelownadailycourier.ca - The Daily Courier - January 26th, 2021
- "The game of the lady" on Netflix, "Grandmaster" for chess players - Vaughan Today - January 25th, 2021
- Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival 2021 hosts Checkmate with World Champion Viswanathan Anand in conversation with Boria Majumder - United News of... - January 25th, 2021
- Nano Dimension Appoints Dr. Eli David to the Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Nano Dimension Appoints Dr. Eli David to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - January 23rd, 2021
- What does it take to be a grandmaster chess champion? | Watch News Videos Online - Globalnews.ca - January 20th, 2021
- Who are the Botez Sisters, one of chess's most popular streamers? - Sports Interactive Network Philippines - January 20th, 2021
- Pop artist Keith Haring exhibit now on display at the St. Louis World Chess Hall of Fame - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - January 20th, 2021
- How to learn chess online: Beef up your skills with these courses - Mashable - January 20th, 2021
- This wooden chess, checkers, and backgammon set will definitely class up your game night - Boing Boing - January 20th, 2021
- Soviet humour and the Great Yoghurt Gambit - TheArticle - January 20th, 2021