The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The new year calls for changeout with the bad habits and in with the healthy ones.
There is no doubt that 2020 knocked everyone off their feet on some, or many levels, but especially emotionally. A recent study published in JAMA Network Open highlighted the severity of the pandemic on mental health. It found that three times as many Americans met criteria for a depression diagnosis during the pandemic than before it.
Because the fight against the coronavirus is far from over, youll need everything in your arsenal to stay healthy mentally. Heres how to achieve that goal in the new year.
WORK OUTTen to 30 minutes a few times a week is enough to make a difference in your mental health, says Prianca Naik, an M.D. and life coach in Garden City. The mental health payoff can be huge. Exercise boosts energy, enhances sleep and builds self-esteem, not to mention adding physical benefits. Make getting six to nine hours of sleep a priority as well.
IMPROVE YOUR DIETNutrition plays an important role in our mental health, says Lin Sternlicht, a licensed mental health counselor and co-founder of Family Addiction Specialist in Manhattan. Nutritional deficiencies have been correlated with mental health issues such as low mood, anxiety and stress. Eating a healthier whole foods dietone that consists of unprocessed and unrefined foodscan improve not only your physiological health but your psychological well-being.
CONNECT WITH PEOPLEIt is hard with the pandemic, but texting, calling or Zooming with others gives us a sense of support and belonging during this isolating time. Human beings need a sense of tribe and community for their well-being, says Naik.
Better still, set a New Years resolution and connect it with another person or group. This can help you achieve your goal or resolution because you motivate each other, says Rachelle Scott, M.D., medical director of psychiatry at Eden Health in Manhattan.
FIND A HOBBYFind a healthy way to de-stress regularly. If you want to read, knit, learn how to play chess or listen to music, dedicate five to 10 minutes a day several days a week and you will be able to achieve your goals, says Naik. Doing something outside of work and household chores is an easy way to do something for yourself.
COMMUNITY CAREThis can be you taking a friend out for coffee, asking someone to keep you company or volunteering at a soup kitchen. Community care has its basis in collectivistic support and can allow you to practice compassion, empathy and appreciation, says Joicy Salgado, a psychotherapist in Valley Stream.
EXPLORE YOURSELFChoose a safe place such as therapy, support groups, journaling or spiritual guidance, where you can express yourself. When we keep it all inside of us, it can get messy and heavy to hold, says Salgado.
BE MINDFULPracticing mindfulness doesnt have to mean sitting in stillness for 30 minutes to get rid of uncomfortable thoughts. Its about purposefully connecting with ourselves in the present moment, wherever we go, says Kendra Kirane, director of creative arts therapy and wellness at Wellbridge Addiction Treatment and Research in Calverton. Mindfulness can lead to self-compassion and insight, qualities that seem especially vital after such a stressful year.
MEDITATEStudies show that regular meditation practice helps reduce stress. When life feels especially uncertain, it can be helpful to connect with the basics: Sit and feel yourself sitting, breathe and experience each breath cycle.
For beginners, set a goal and routine that can be experienced successfully, such as five minutes per day, says Kirane.
BE THANKFULTake a few minutes to list what you are grateful for while youre brushing your teeth each morning, or jot it down on a bedside journal, says Naik. Doing this consistently makes us appreciate the life we already have and increases fulfillment.
REACH OUTDont suffer in silence. Turn to a friend, relative, health care professional or counselor.
This story first appeared in the Long Island Press.
Here is the original post:
- How to cope with squabbling siblings: Five expert tips on handling competitive children - The Irish Times - February 20th, 2021
- Chess Market 2021 Research Report With Covid-19 Update Key Players Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2027 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA,... - February 20th, 2021
- Incredible Growth of Counter-UAS System Market to Boom in Future by Industry market by top key Players SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales NeighborWebSJ -... - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion | American politics are turning us into pessimists - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Activities To Do When You Need a Study Break - Uloop News - February 17th, 2021
- News from the hill - News24 - February 17th, 2021
- Beckerman Film Series Asks The Hard Questions - New Haven Independent - February 17th, 2021
- Saving Mr Kasparov (and Mr Korchnoi) - TheArticle - February 15th, 2021
- Gaming the System: 'Minecraft' cheating as a case study in subculture drama The Daily Free Press - Daily Free Press - February 15th, 2021
- B2B Telecommunications Market Giants To Grow At Much Faster Pace | Azzurri Communications, BT Group, Arqiva, Charterhouse Voice and Data The Bisouv... - February 15th, 2021
- Streaming is still a good deal, but it's starting to get pricey - WRCB-TV - February 15th, 2021
- Happy Lunar New Year - University of California - February 15th, 2021
- Koala rescued after causing 5-car pileup on Australian freeway, and more of this week's weirdest news - Herald & Review - February 15th, 2021
- Interesting Facts About Anya Taylor Joy From Emma and The Queens Gambit - OtakuKart - February 12th, 2021
- Promoting Exercise Through Gamification-Making Physical Activity More Fun? - Forbes - February 12th, 2021
- SXSW Sets Stacey Abrams As Keynote, Unveils New Round Of Featured Speakers Including Elizabeth Banks, Mary J. Blige, The Russo Brothers And More -... - February 12th, 2021
- Walrus Ivory Holds the Clue to the Lost Norse Civilization in Greenland - Science Times - February 12th, 2021
- Behind the Grind of the N.B.A. Team With the Next Big Thing - The New York Times - February 12th, 2021
- Get informed on the top stories of the day in one quick scan - CBC.ca - February 10th, 2021
- Students rely on hobbies to maintain mental health during pandemic - GW Hatchet - February 10th, 2021
- Award-winning documentarian turns to the story of Billy Stewart - Lake County News - February 7th, 2021
- 15 Tips to Improve the Way People Think of You in the Office (According to a Psychologist) - mySanAntonio.com - February 7th, 2021
- All he needs to do on the court is react - Catholic Star Herald - February 6th, 2021
- Chess grandmaster rates 7 chess scenes in movies and TV for accuracy - Yahoo News - February 6th, 2021
- White House might send masks to every American; no cruising to Canada until 2022; young adults drive infections: Latest COVID-19 updates. - USA TODAY - February 6th, 2021
- Feeling More Stressed Than Ever? You're Not Alone - Healthline - February 6th, 2021
- The Hess Triangle in New York City's West Village To Be Sold - Mental Floss - February 6th, 2021
- Local woman shines in world of chess - Yahoo News - February 4th, 2021
- Exclusive: Meet the startups in Harvard i-lab's 2021 Spring Venture Program - Boston Business Journal - February 4th, 2021
- Why is the European Metals (ASX:EMH) share price 12% higher today? // The Motley Fool Australia - The Motley Fool Australia - February 3rd, 2021
- This Is Where Empathy Lives in the Brain, and How It Works - Singularity Hub - February 3rd, 2021
- Deaths for the week of Jan. 31-Feb. 6, 2021 J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - February 3rd, 2021
- 4 schools in the UK offering a character-building education - Study International News - February 3rd, 2021
- The Story Of How Trump Officials Tried To End H-1B Visas - Forbes - February 1st, 2021
- Study finds surprising defensive functions of the immune system against new viral attacks - News-Medical.net - January 30th, 2021
- The 5 Most Influential Shows On Netflix - Forbes - January 30th, 2021
- Brain exercises: 22 ways to improve memory, cognition, and creativity - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- COLUMN: Library has virtual programs for kids and teens - yoursun.com - January 30th, 2021
- Ten Interesting Things We Read This Week - Forbes India - January 30th, 2021
- Chess Market Research Report: Cagr Status, Industry Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecasts To 2027|The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - January 28th, 2021
- Global Chess Market Insights, Overview, Analysis and Forecast 2020 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 28th, 2021
- Online Sports Technology Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with top key players like IBM (US), Ericsson (Sweden), Cisco (US), Fujitsu... - January 28th, 2021
- Meet the Inaugural Class of Axxess Scholars at UT Dallas - University of Texas at Dallas - January 28th, 2021
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? - Yahoo News UK - January 26th, 2021
- Freeline to Present Data at the 2021 Virtual Congress of the European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders (EAHAD) and the 17th Annual... - January 26th, 2021
- Used Construction Machinery Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2020-2026 Focusing on Leading Players are Mascus USA,Arnold Machinery Company,Foley... - January 26th, 2021
- Kim Jones Wants to Rule the Fashion World - The New York Times - January 26th, 2021
- A guide to private schools in The Woodlands area in 2021 - Community Impact Newspaper - January 25th, 2021
- 5 NEW Russian history movies you must see - Russia Beyond the Headlines - January 23rd, 2021
- How to get the most from ChessBase 16 - Chessbase News - January 20th, 2021
- What are the key factors and impact of interventions in Englands COVID-19 epidemic? - News-Medical.Net - January 20th, 2021
- Richmond Hill basketball coaches piece together scouting reports on opponents - Savannah Morning News - January 20th, 2021
- What The Biden Presidency Means For Privacy, Consumer Protection And Antitrust - AdExchanger - January 20th, 2021
- An intro to the fast-paced world of artificial intelligence - MIT News - January 20th, 2021
- Counter-UAS System Market Size, Growth Factor,Analysis And Forecast By 2027| Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Anglo Singapore International School are delighted to welcome you for a school visit. - Bangkok Post - January 20th, 2021
- Chess Global Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Application, and Region - The Courier - January 15th, 2021
- ONTARIO: How one womans online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - TimminsToday - January 15th, 2021
- LaFleur Won't Be Able to Fool McVay on Saturday - Zone Coverage - January 15th, 2021
- Lewis Carroll Death Anniversary: Here are Some of the Author's Greatest Works - News18 - January 15th, 2021
- Reflecting on 'The Queen's Gambit': Are women genetically hardwired to underperform men in chess? - Genetic Literacy Project - January 13th, 2021
- Chess Market: Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- Why Its Not Too Late to Learn New Skills - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Global Counter UAV Market 2020 Trends, Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies and Forecast 2025 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- The Seedy Chess World of Queens Gambit Is the Shows Masterstroke - Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Chess Market Study by Global and Regional Analysis with Forecast | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - NeighborWebSJ - January 9th, 2021
- How this Ontario woman's online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - Toronto Star - January 9th, 2021
- Americans are living 30 years longer on average and that's a big plus for businesses - Palo Alto Online - January 9th, 2021
- From Text to Tablet: How to Learn in Lockdown - Global Citizen - January 9th, 2021
- Overcoming lockdowns and uncertainty to triumph at the end of a tough year - Neos Kosmos - January 9th, 2021
- Science-backed strategies to deal with stress and anxiety - World Economic Forum - January 9th, 2021
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Is About More Than Just Chess - Study Breaks - January 6th, 2021
- Barnegat's Kasey Keshecki is our Student of the Week - wobm.com - January 6th, 2021
- Film Study: The Ohio State Offense Was Prepared to Peak in the College Football Playoff | Eleven Warriors - Eleven Warriors - January 6th, 2021
- Chess Market Statistical Overview 2021-2026 with Industry Insights and Growth by ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron, Chessncrafts, Chessbazaar.com, and... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Used Construction Machinery Market Precise Scenario Covering Trends, Competitive Scenario, Business Opportunities and Growth Forecast during... - January 6th, 2021
- 2021 Could Be a Banner Year for AIIf We Solve These 4 Problems - Singularity Hub - January 6th, 2021
- Anti-UAV Defense System Market Analysis, Opportunities, Competition Scenario, Threats, Future Prospects, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Chess Market to 2026 Industry Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis, and Forecast - Factory Gate - January 4th, 2021
- From the shadows into the light the man who broke the UFO embargo grew up in Sarasota - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 4th, 2021