Ingrid Gayle didnt grow up playing chess like many chess players you may meet. Dominoes was always on the table in her West Indian household. Checkers, Battleship and Monopoly sure, but chess was not on her radar.
Ingrid Gayle didnt grow up playing chess like many chess players you may meet.
Dominoes was always on the table in her West Indian household. Checkers, Battleship and Monopoly sure, but chess was not on her radar.
In 2015, when Gayle, the founder of global online school Girl Boss Chess, started home-schooling her then five-year-old daughter, a friend mailed her a chess set and guide.
The two dove in and learned the game together.
I loved the benefits that she was receiving; I loved the quality time that we were spending together, Gayle remembers. Her younger daughter has since learned too and its become a family affair. I dont think well ever stop playing, she said.
Gayle, who is based in Gananoque, Ont., has been teaching chess to kids for five years now, and after seeing up close how men and boys dominated the game, she decided to carve out a space for women.
Girl Boss Chess aims to offer a space for girls, women and nonbinary people to learn chess and improve their skills in an empowering space, to help up gender diversity in the sport.
Youll have parents who have boys and girls in the same household, and the boys are playing chess and the girls are not, Gayle came to notice in her classes. She asked a few parents why that was, and their response was they didnt know they just hadnt asked their daughters if they wanted to try it.
I want all girls to just experience it. And let the girls decide. To help with that, Girl Boss Chess has a free 30-minute intro class so first-timers can get their feet wet.
The online school started running pilot classes toward the end of last year and officially launched in early January. With students as young as four years old, Girl Boss Chess makes sure that the classes are not boring. All of the instructors, Gayle said, are very animated, and she decided to teach the fundamental classes herself to make sure the kids get excited about the game and learn about the rules and pieces through stories.
When women and parents started to show interest, Girl Boss added a queens class for adults whod like to learn as well.
Chess is known to improve reading, math, strategy and problem solving skills and Gayle remarked that its incredible how focused a five, six or seven-year-old can be when theyre concentrated on a game. It also teaches them that their actions have consequences when a hasty move means they lose a knight, she said. Most important, she said, is the way their confidence grows when they get more comfortable with the game.
Every girl deserves to have the benefits of that, Gayle said.
There are more than 1,600 international chess grandmasters as of last year, and just 37 are women, according to the International Chess Federation (FIDE).
While men dominate the top ranks of players, a 2008 study found that its not necessarily that men are better at the sport, but because the pool of male players is vastly bigger than other genders, theres a higher chance of there being more star players to fill the ranks. The extreme values in a large sample are likely to be greater than those in a small one, the study said.
Statistically, the gender divide in chess is still abysmal, but pop culture in recent years has brought women in chess to the screen. In 2016, Disneys Queen of Katwe introduced Ugandan chess player Phiona Mutesi to a wide audience and last year, The Queens Gambit, about how a young woman became a chess prodigy, became Netflixs biggest original limited series ever.
Girl Boss Chess also teaches classes in multiple languages English, French, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish and Arabic and has instructors, some of whom are masters, from all around the world Canada, Italy, South Africa, Ghana, Brazil and France.
Instructor Rose Tuong said she appreciates how chess which derives from chaturanga, an Indian game created in the 6th century spans so many cultures around the world.
You can go to a place and not necessarily speak the language or know anything about the culture, but if you find another person who you can play chess with, you can enter into this really rich, intellectual exchange with them, Tuong said.
Tuong, who is based in Toronto, has played since grade school and has taught chess for seven years to students from junior kindergarten to high school ages.
In her experience with chess, Tuong has found it alienating to frequently see the same faces at the top of the game or even local clubs which have been mostly those of white men lately. I would like there to be a shift where we start looking toward the faces of other kinds of people.
When it comes to sports like chess and industries like STEM being male-dominated, Gayle said it has more to do with exposure than ability.
I think women thrive just as well as men, she said, but we dont get the exposure or we dont get the opportunity. Thats what it is.
Tuong agreed, saying the barriers that exist for women in these fields are cultural, economical and sociological, and are not based on abilities.
If we want to progress as a society, everybody should be wanting women to enter and thrive in these fields, Tuong said. If we want to maintain the status quo. What does that say about us?
- Angelyn Francis, Toronto Star, Local Journalism Initiative
Go here to read the rest:
- How to cope with squabbling siblings: Five expert tips on handling competitive children - The Irish Times - February 20th, 2021
- Chess Market 2021 Research Report With Covid-19 Update Key Players Analysis, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2027 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA,... - February 20th, 2021
- Incredible Growth of Counter-UAS System Market to Boom in Future by Industry market by top key Players SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales NeighborWebSJ -... - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion | American politics are turning us into pessimists - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Activities To Do When You Need a Study Break - Uloop News - February 17th, 2021
- News from the hill - News24 - February 17th, 2021
- Beckerman Film Series Asks The Hard Questions - New Haven Independent - February 17th, 2021
- Saving Mr Kasparov (and Mr Korchnoi) - TheArticle - February 15th, 2021
- Gaming the System: 'Minecraft' cheating as a case study in subculture drama The Daily Free Press - Daily Free Press - February 15th, 2021
- B2B Telecommunications Market Giants To Grow At Much Faster Pace | Azzurri Communications, BT Group, Arqiva, Charterhouse Voice and Data The Bisouv... - February 15th, 2021
- Streaming is still a good deal, but it's starting to get pricey - WRCB-TV - February 15th, 2021
- Happy Lunar New Year - University of California - February 15th, 2021
- Koala rescued after causing 5-car pileup on Australian freeway, and more of this week's weirdest news - Herald & Review - February 15th, 2021
- Interesting Facts About Anya Taylor Joy From Emma and The Queens Gambit - OtakuKart - February 12th, 2021
- Promoting Exercise Through Gamification-Making Physical Activity More Fun? - Forbes - February 12th, 2021
- SXSW Sets Stacey Abrams As Keynote, Unveils New Round Of Featured Speakers Including Elizabeth Banks, Mary J. Blige, The Russo Brothers And More -... - February 12th, 2021
- Walrus Ivory Holds the Clue to the Lost Norse Civilization in Greenland - Science Times - February 12th, 2021
- Behind the Grind of the N.B.A. Team With the Next Big Thing - The New York Times - February 12th, 2021
- Get informed on the top stories of the day in one quick scan - CBC.ca - February 10th, 2021
- Students rely on hobbies to maintain mental health during pandemic - GW Hatchet - February 10th, 2021
- Award-winning documentarian turns to the story of Billy Stewart - Lake County News - February 7th, 2021
- 15 Tips to Improve the Way People Think of You in the Office (According to a Psychologist) - mySanAntonio.com - February 7th, 2021
- All he needs to do on the court is react - Catholic Star Herald - February 6th, 2021
- Chess grandmaster rates 7 chess scenes in movies and TV for accuracy - Yahoo News - February 6th, 2021
- White House might send masks to every American; no cruising to Canada until 2022; young adults drive infections: Latest COVID-19 updates. - USA TODAY - February 6th, 2021
- Feeling More Stressed Than Ever? You're Not Alone - Healthline - February 6th, 2021
- The Hess Triangle in New York City's West Village To Be Sold - Mental Floss - February 6th, 2021
- Local woman shines in world of chess - Yahoo News - February 4th, 2021
- Exclusive: Meet the startups in Harvard i-lab's 2021 Spring Venture Program - Boston Business Journal - February 4th, 2021
- Why is the European Metals (ASX:EMH) share price 12% higher today? // The Motley Fool Australia - The Motley Fool Australia - February 3rd, 2021
- This Is Where Empathy Lives in the Brain, and How It Works - Singularity Hub - February 3rd, 2021
- Deaths for the week of Jan. 31-Feb. 6, 2021 J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - February 3rd, 2021
- 4 schools in the UK offering a character-building education - Study International News - February 3rd, 2021
- The Story Of How Trump Officials Tried To End H-1B Visas - Forbes - February 1st, 2021
- Study finds surprising defensive functions of the immune system against new viral attacks - News-Medical.net - January 30th, 2021
- The 5 Most Influential Shows On Netflix - Forbes - January 30th, 2021
- Brain exercises: 22 ways to improve memory, cognition, and creativity - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- COLUMN: Library has virtual programs for kids and teens - yoursun.com - January 30th, 2021
- Ten Interesting Things We Read This Week - Forbes India - January 30th, 2021
- Chess Market Research Report: Cagr Status, Industry Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecasts To 2027|The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - January 28th, 2021
- Global Chess Market Insights, Overview, Analysis and Forecast 2020 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 28th, 2021
- Online Sports Technology Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with top key players like IBM (US), Ericsson (Sweden), Cisco (US), Fujitsu... - January 28th, 2021
- Meet the Inaugural Class of Axxess Scholars at UT Dallas - University of Texas at Dallas - January 28th, 2021
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? - Yahoo News UK - January 26th, 2021
- Freeline to Present Data at the 2021 Virtual Congress of the European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders (EAHAD) and the 17th Annual... - January 26th, 2021
- Used Construction Machinery Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2020-2026 Focusing on Leading Players are Mascus USA,Arnold Machinery Company,Foley... - January 26th, 2021
- Kim Jones Wants to Rule the Fashion World - The New York Times - January 26th, 2021
- A guide to private schools in The Woodlands area in 2021 - Community Impact Newspaper - January 25th, 2021
- 5 NEW Russian history movies you must see - Russia Beyond the Headlines - January 23rd, 2021
- How to get the most from ChessBase 16 - Chessbase News - January 20th, 2021
- What are the key factors and impact of interventions in Englands COVID-19 epidemic? - News-Medical.Net - January 20th, 2021
- Richmond Hill basketball coaches piece together scouting reports on opponents - Savannah Morning News - January 20th, 2021
- What The Biden Presidency Means For Privacy, Consumer Protection And Antitrust - AdExchanger - January 20th, 2021
- An intro to the fast-paced world of artificial intelligence - MIT News - January 20th, 2021
- Counter-UAS System Market Size, Growth Factor,Analysis And Forecast By 2027| Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Anglo Singapore International School are delighted to welcome you for a school visit. - Bangkok Post - January 20th, 2021
- A Guide to Optimizing Your Mental Health in 2021 - Dan's Papers - January 20th, 2021
- Chess Global Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Application, and Region - The Courier - January 15th, 2021
- LaFleur Won't Be Able to Fool McVay on Saturday - Zone Coverage - January 15th, 2021
- Lewis Carroll Death Anniversary: Here are Some of the Author's Greatest Works - News18 - January 15th, 2021
- Reflecting on 'The Queen's Gambit': Are women genetically hardwired to underperform men in chess? - Genetic Literacy Project - January 13th, 2021
- Chess Market: Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- Why Its Not Too Late to Learn New Skills - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Global Counter UAV Market 2020 Trends, Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies and Forecast 2025 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- The Seedy Chess World of Queens Gambit Is the Shows Masterstroke - Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Chess Market Study by Global and Regional Analysis with Forecast | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - NeighborWebSJ - January 9th, 2021
- How this Ontario woman's online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - Toronto Star - January 9th, 2021
- Americans are living 30 years longer on average and that's a big plus for businesses - Palo Alto Online - January 9th, 2021
- From Text to Tablet: How to Learn in Lockdown - Global Citizen - January 9th, 2021
- Overcoming lockdowns and uncertainty to triumph at the end of a tough year - Neos Kosmos - January 9th, 2021
- Science-backed strategies to deal with stress and anxiety - World Economic Forum - January 9th, 2021
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Is About More Than Just Chess - Study Breaks - January 6th, 2021
- Barnegat's Kasey Keshecki is our Student of the Week - wobm.com - January 6th, 2021
- Film Study: The Ohio State Offense Was Prepared to Peak in the College Football Playoff | Eleven Warriors - Eleven Warriors - January 6th, 2021
- Chess Market Statistical Overview 2021-2026 with Industry Insights and Growth by ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron, Chessncrafts, Chessbazaar.com, and... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Used Construction Machinery Market Precise Scenario Covering Trends, Competitive Scenario, Business Opportunities and Growth Forecast during... - January 6th, 2021
- 2021 Could Be a Banner Year for AIIf We Solve These 4 Problems - Singularity Hub - January 6th, 2021
- Anti-UAV Defense System Market Analysis, Opportunities, Competition Scenario, Threats, Future Prospects, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Chess Market to 2026 Industry Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis, and Forecast - Factory Gate - January 4th, 2021
- From the shadows into the light the man who broke the UFO embargo grew up in Sarasota - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 4th, 2021