Beginning chess students are quickly introduced to the remarkable concept of zugzwang German for Its your move, pal in which a players position may be perfectly fine as is, but any move makes things worse, and may even lose. Unfortunately under the rules, passing is not allowed when its your clock that is ticking.
But theres a related phenomenon weve decided to call zugzwecklos, or move futility. Thats when a player has plenty of legal moves that, while not losing, have no practical bearing on the fix that he is in.
To take a concrete example, check out Belarusian GM Sergei Azarovs victory over Indian IM Guha Mitrabha on his way to winning the 104th edition of the fabled New York City Marshall Chess Clubs championship last month. In an absorbing Classical Dutch struggle, Azarov uses a mobile queenside pawn majority and Whites blocked-in bishop on g2 to weave a fascinating bind.
Things are still in flux after 27. Qc5 b4!? (wasting no time mobilizing the pawns, as 28. Nxe5? Qf8+ 29. Qxf8+ Rxf8+ 30. Nf3 b3 gives Black a clamp on the position) 28. Ra6 Nd4 29. Qxe5 (White should seize the offer to break out with 29. Nxd4 exd4 30. e5 [and not 30. Qxd4? c3 31. bxc3 b3! 32. Rb6 b2!], liberating the bishop) Nxf3 30. exf3 Bf7! a rare case when the player who is down materially seeks simplification.
Zugzwecklos arrives after 31. Qxe8+ Bxe8 32. Ra1? (Kf2! c3 33. bxc3 b3 34. Bf1 b2 35. Bc4+ was the last chance to slip the straitjacket to come) c3 33. Ke1 Ra8!! 34. Rb1 (Rxa8 cxb2 35. Rxe8+ Kf7 36. Rd8 b1=Q+ 37. Rd1 Qc2 38. Bf1 b3 and Black wins) c2 35. Rc1 b3, and now Mitrabha has no productive moves to prevent the calamity to come.
Remarkably, after 38. Ra1 Ra8! (again!) 39. Rc1 Ra2 40. Kd2 Rxb2 41. Bc4 Ba4 42. e5 (Kc3 Rb1 43. Kd2 b2) h5 43. f4 Ra2 44. h3 Ra1! 45. Bxb3 (Rxa1 b2) Rxc1 46. Bxa4 Rg1 47. Kxc2 Rxg3, White has survived to an ending where he has a bishop and pawn for the rook. But Azarov has just enough to clinch the victory, as after 52. e6 Kf6 53. Kd2 Re5, the white e-pawn cant advance and the Black h-pawn if ready to roll; Mitrabha resigned.
An even more extreme example of zugzwecklos can be seen in a game between two Danish masters at another club championship, this one in Copenhagen in 1953. The whole game, featuring a razor-sharp Vienna Game line, is worth replaying, as Black gets three pawns for his gambited piece in a deeply unbalanced position.
But its White who applies the sleeper hold after 20. Ng5!? (lets all be grateful the instantly winning 20. Rxc7! Bxg2 21. Ng5 wasnt played, spoiling the ensuing fun) Bxg2 21. Rxc7 Bxh1 22. Nxf7 Bd5 23. Nxd6+ Kf8 24. Bg5! (eyeing a deadly check on h6) Rh8 25. Bh6+ Kg8, and Blacks rook and king are trussed up in the corner of the board.
Whites windmill checks produce a classic zugzwecklos after 28. Nc8! Bc6 29. Rg7+ Kf8 30. Rxb7+ Kg8 (Ke8 31. Nd6+ Kd8 32. Bg5 mate) 31. Rg7+ Kf8 32. Rxa7+ Kg8 33. Rxa8! Bxa8 34. Nd6!! (see diagram), locking the jailhouse door.
Black has plenty of moves his pawns can advance and his bishop is free to roam the board but his king and rook can never escape. White could just run his queenside pawns up the board or more sadistically just have his king mosey on down to e7 and then (depending on where Blacks bishop may be) play Ne4 or Ne8 followed by Nf6 mate. Faced with that Chinese water torture, Black decided just to resign.
Mitrabha-Azarov, 104th Marshall Chess Club Championship, December 2020
1. d4 f5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. g3 e6 4. Bg2 Be7 5. O-O O-O 6. c4 d6 7. Nc3 Ne4 8. Nxe4 fxe4 9. Nd2 d5 10. f3 Nc6 11. fxe4 Rxf1+ 12. Kxf1 dxc4 13. Nf3 b5 14. Be3 Rb8 15. Rc1 Qe8 16. a4 a6 17. axb5 axb5 18. Qd2 Bb4 19. Qc2 e5 20. d5 Na5 21. Bd2 c5 22. dxc6 Nxc6 23. Bxb4 Nxb4 24. Qd2 Nc6 25. Ra1 Bg4 26. Qd5+ Be6 27. Qc5 b4 28. Ra6 Nd4 29. Qxe5 Nxf3 30. exf3 Bf7 31. Qxe8+ Bxe8 32. Ra1 c3 33. Ke1 Ra8 34. Rb1 c2 35. Rc1 b3 36. Bf1 Rd8 37. Be2 Kf8 38. Ra1 Ra8 39. Rc1 Ra2 40. Kd2 Rxb2 41. Bc4 Ba4 42. e5 h5 43. f4 Ra2 44. h3 Ra1 45. Bxb3 Rxc1 46. Bxa4 Rg1 47. Kxc2 Rxg3 48. Bd7 Rf3 49. f5 Rxh3 50. f6 Re3 51. fxg7+ Kxg7 52. e6 Kf6 53. Kd2 Re5 White resigns.
Kupferstich-Andreasen, Club Tournament, Copenhagen, January 1953
1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Bc4 Nxe4 4. Qh5 Nd6 5. Bb3 Nc6 6. Nb5 g6 7. Qf3 Nf5 8. Qd5 Nh6 9. d4 d6 10. Bxh6 Be6 11. Qf3 Bxb3 12. Bxf8 Ba4 13. Bg7 Rg8 14. Bf6 Qd7 15. Na3 Nxd4 16. Qh3 Qxh3 17. Nxh3 Nxc2+ 18. Nxc2 Bxc2 19. Rc1 Be4 20. Ng5 Bxg2 21. Rxc7 Bxh1 22. Nxf7 Bd5 23. Nxd6+ Kf8 24. Bg5 Rh8 25. Bh6+ Kg8 26. Rg7+ Kf8 27. Rc7+ Kg8 28. Nc8 Bc6 29. Rg7+ Kf8 30. Rxb7+ Kg8 31. Rg7+ Kf8 32. Rxa7+ Kg8 33. Rxa8 Bxa8 34. Nd6 Black resigns.
David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the rest here:
- CodePen - CSS 3D Hartwig chess set (fully playable) - July 25th, 2021
- Chess Sets Used by Jews During the Holocaust - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 25th, 2021
- Star Trek 3D chess and more out-of-this-world ways to celebrate International Chess Day - ZDNet - July 25th, 2021
- How the game of Chess has helped mold Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux - NBC Sports - July 25th, 2021
- Indian American Abhimanyu Mishra is the youngest chess grandmaster ever - Northwest Asian Weekly - July 10th, 2021
- Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand Goes Down To Anish Giri In Croatia Grand Chess Tour - Outlook India - July 10th, 2021
- The Real Queens Gambit: Ashley Priores Nonprofit Aims To Give Women An Edge In The Male-Dominated World Of Chess - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Of Anand, simultaneous chess and the cheating controversy - The Hindu - June 28th, 2021
- Chess in The Parks held at Myrtle Park in Indian Orchard - WWLP.com - June 28th, 2021
- The Londoner Inviting a Guy Over to Play Chess - The Cut - June 28th, 2021
- The Martial menagerie of King Alfonso the Wise - TheArticle - June 28th, 2021
- Carol Jarecki: From chess mom to one of the game's greatest referees - Washington Times - June 28th, 2021
- NBA Playoffs 2021: The chess match between Trae Young and the Milwaukee Bucks' defence is only beginning - NBA CA - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021