Have you noticed theres an interior design motif in big and small screen dramas these days, where costumes and dcor match?
Just a year ago, lush interiors in Autumn de Wildes adaptation of Jane Austens Emma had Dolly Mixture-hued frocks and bonnets worn by leading lady Anya Taylor-Joy matching the drapery and upholstery at the heroines 18th-century mansion.
Had it been a retelling of Pride & Prejudice, Mrs Bennet and Aunt Phillips would have been scandalised by the lack of lace.
Time-travel forward to the early 1960s for the same idea in the Netflix series The Queens Gambit, which has had the country prone on the sofa since November.
Coincidentally, Anya Taylor-Joy also stars in this as the heroine child-prodigy chess player Beth Harmon, with Grandmillennial dcor co-starring; where checks abound in pinafores, wallpaper and upholstery.
Who knows, maybe the checks are meant to be a background reference to the chessboard which is Beths focus, or a hint that at a time when were all at home more and partial to a board game that chess boards could become the must-have interior accessory to grace our coffee tables.
Its definitely a distraction, all this in-your-face interior design, or at least for the design buff whose gaze moves to the wallpaper and away from the action, something which became habitual when Danish noir dramas first came onto our screens and names of famous Scandinavian designers seemed to pop off lamps, chairs and accessories. Every character had chic design even if they lived in a squat.
The Queens Gambit is not exactly awash with examples of work from famed designers, though. Rather its about colour and pattern saturation, starting with an intensity of teal in the living room and hall of the house Beth calls home after her adoption.
At first sight, it serves as a vivid backdrop to her orphanage-supplied outfit in brown and teal, a colour combo which gathered speed in interiors through 2020, while her new mother, Mrs Wheatley, is attired to match the wan blue carpet to perfection.
Definitely, the set design and costume departments were working from the same office.
Upstairs, Beths over-the-top bedroom is a homage to pink in floral, gingham and checks.
Call it saccharine femininity gone mad, but its surprisingly familiar as pink is now perfectly acceptable, even coveted, as an interior colour, no longer confined exclusively to the toddlers room.
But pairing it with blue is another matter altogether as the two have never been happy bedfellows, something overlooked by colour authority Pantone when they inexplicably made both their colour of the year in 2016, but roundly endorsed in Mrs Wheatleys floral bedecked bedroom. It has to be said if theres an opportunity to go over the top, this show grabs it by the frilly valance.
Set in Kentucky, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Mexico City, Paris, and Moscow but filmed in Berlin, the hotels where the now chess tournament-winning Beth and Mrs Wheatley stay are tantamount to design porn.
Star-burst mirrors and bar trolleys are like cat-nip to home interiors buffs as theyre among current must-haves.
And thats the thing about good design; the best of whats come before is often borrowed for inspiration, which is why the shriek-inducing sight of an Osborne & Little wallpaper in Beths Mexico City hotel room prompted my putting the telly on pause while I looked it up.
Turns out this lush green and pink number is called Trailing Orchid (see todays Mood Board on page ??? to get the picture).
But its after the sudden demise of Mrs Wheatley, and Beths redecorating of the family home that we see 1960s dcor leaving behind the last of its 1950s influences for good.
New tonally flat paint colours and geometric wallpaper continue the leitmotif of dcor matching dress throughout the series, where simultaneously Beth abandons the flouncy circular skirts of Diors New Look for trim pencil pants and jockey hats.
Even her 1960s wardrobe is unexpectedly familiar, but weve been borrowing those ideas for years too. Outfits from Mad Men were often appealing, and even the 1970s garb from the recent Mrs America, like bell-bottom jeans, came back as boot-leg trouser some years ago with just a slightly different cut.
Its this familiarity and the nostalgia that comes with it which might just give the Grand-millennial look a step up in the trend polls.
Read more here:
- No women at Tata Steel chess this year, but game is growing in popularity - DutchNews.nl - January 20th, 2021
- MCCL to host 2021 All-Girls State Championship on Feb. 20 - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - January 20th, 2021
- Yamagata: Discover snow monsters and a hidden mountain temple - Japan Today - January 20th, 2021
- 5 key concepts in poker and chess | chess24.com - chess24 - chess24 - January 20th, 2021
- Bryce Hall confronts creepy stalker invading their TikTok house - Dexerto - January 20th, 2021
- Twitch Chess GM Behind the PogChamps Event Makes Up With the Botez Sisters - EssentiallySports - January 15th, 2021
- Grand Chess Tour: Carlsen, Nakamura Only As Wildcards - Chess.com - January 15th, 2021
- 11 of the best musical soundtracks to test your speakers - What Hi-Fi? - January 15th, 2021
- Fiji Chess hopes to stage a tournament in the North - FBC News - January 15th, 2021
- The Voice Celebrates: Bar-Mitzvahs of Jake Stoopler and Jonah Kutikov - Jewish Community Voice - January 15th, 2021
- Wojtaszek: I'd like to get into the Top 10 - chess24 - January 15th, 2021
- The benefits of approaching this year like a total newbie - KDRV - January 13th, 2021
- World famous Hastings chess tournament takes place this weekend - Hastings Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Sailor Moon: 10 Fights That Are Better In The Anime | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 9th, 2021
- Draft Results for the LCS Lock In Tournament Group Stage - The Game Haus - January 9th, 2021
- FIDE confirm postponement of Women's Grand Prix in Gibraltar - Insidethegames.biz - January 9th, 2021
- Learn The Queen's Gambit and More Chess Plays In This Bundle - IGN Southeast Asia - January 9th, 2021
- Rook No Further! Coral Springs Holds Open Play Chess and Tournament - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - January 6th, 2021
- Radjabov Wins Airthings Masters - Chess.com - January 6th, 2021
- Azeri-Jewish Chess Grandmaster Radjabov in tears after winning tournament - The Jerusalem Post - January 6th, 2021
- Yu Yangyi and Tan Zhongyi are the 2020 Chinese champions - Chessbase News - January 4th, 2021
- For Premium only: Who do you want in the next Champions Chess Tour event? - chess24 - January 4th, 2021
- Snow, Rambo and everything in between: Leon Mendonca is India's 67th GM - ESPN - January 4th, 2021
- Chess: Goas 14-year-old boy becomes Indias 67th GM - Star of Mysore - January 4th, 2021
- Kriti Kharbanda arrives in Lucknow for her next rom-com, '14 Phere', directed by Devanshu Singh - Knocksense - January 4th, 2021
- Final chess tournament for the year on today - Stabroek News - December 31st, 2020
- Monsters of 2020: The Queen's Gambit - Mother Jones - December 31st, 2020
- Chess: Goa's 14-Year-Old Leon Mendonca Becomes India's 67th Grandmaster - Outlook India - December 31st, 2020
- Why Chess is thriving in Kenya despite Covid-19 pandemic - The Standard - December 31st, 2020
- Wilton Bulletin Board: Meditation, cooking, stream cameras - The Wilton Bulletin - December 31st, 2020
- Not particularly fusced: reflections on a first term - Cherwell Online - December 31st, 2020
- Writer's Choice: Trent Murray's Top Five Stories of 2020 - The Esports Observer - December 31st, 2020
- Frontline workers owed 'debt of gratitude,' GG says in year-end message - Yahoo News Canada - December 31st, 2020
- Meet Norfolk's own queen of the chessboard - Eastern Daily Press - December 29th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit Does a Lot Well. Portraying Being a Woman in Chess Isn't One of Them. - Ms. Magazine - December 27th, 2020
- What the Hell Is Quantum Chess? | IE - Interesting Engineering - December 27th, 2020
- Explore the History of Chess From Ancient India to the Cold War Rivalries - My Modern Met - December 27th, 2020
- 2020 year of power struggle in AICF, players keep the flag flying - DTNext - December 27th, 2020
- Online tournaments have strengthened local players - Stabroek News - December 27th, 2020
- Year in Review 2020, Biggest Sports Stories: After t..issues, India declared joint-winners of Chess Olympiad - Firstpost - December 27th, 2020
- Christmas puzzles: Add-a-king, and take that back! - Chessbase News - December 27th, 2020
- Chess and horse sport share one common element: The expensive part - Horsetalk - December 27th, 2020
- GM Zavokhir of Uzbekistan crowned champion at Liberation Cup - Oherald - December 27th, 2020
- I was 13 and suddenly winning everything - India Today - December 27th, 2020
- What Are You Paying For in a $300 Chess Set? Mostly the Knights - The New York Times - December 26th, 2020
- The 5 biggest moments in streaming from 2020 - Dot Esports - December 26th, 2020
- WCM Magpily eyes another title in Balinas-Pichay Cup - manilastandard.net - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Live chess tournament broadcasts | chess24.com - December 18th, 2020
- Welcome | US Chess.org - December 18th, 2020
- IM Martin Neubauer on Simon Williams' Budapest Gambit - Chessbase News - December 18th, 2020
- Chess: 'Game of the Year' decides title as Covid-19 hits Russian championship - The Guardian - December 18th, 2020
- The Creative's Gambit - Creative Review - December 18th, 2020
- 4 tips on how to stay focused, from a chess grandmaster - CNBC - December 16th, 2020
- Next Chess Olympiad In 2022; Budapest Wins Bid For 2024 - Chess.com - December 16th, 2020
- Superbet Foundation Becomes Principal Partner of Grand Chess Tour 2021 - European Gaming Industry News - December 16th, 2020
- Superfinals: Nepomniachtchi and Karjakin still tied on top - Chessbase News - December 16th, 2020
- Beccacece and a chess tournament with the Racing kids - Inspired Traveler - December 16th, 2020
- The reign of 1990s star vintage as over-the-board chess resumes in Moscow - Financial Times - December 16th, 2020
- M'sian Parents Are Sending Their Kids For Chess Classes Because Of 'The Queen's Gambit' - SAYS - December 16th, 2020
- Russian Superfinals 9-10: Title race goes down to the last round - chess24 - December 16th, 2020
- 2020 Speed Chess Championship: All The Information - Chess.com - December 13th, 2020
- The Grand Chess Tour Returns In 2021 - Chessbase News - December 11th, 2020
- Autumn Series on Playchess # 8 - Play and win prizes - Chessbase News - December 11th, 2020
- From Our Archives: Here's a look back at this week in 1976 - McDowell News - December 11th, 2020
- International squad beats Spain in training match - Chessbase News - December 11th, 2020
- Chess: Polina Shuvalova shines as over-the-board play resumes in Moscow - The Guardian - December 11th, 2020
- Grandmaster Sam Shankland '14 on The Queen's Gambit and Chess Today | Alumni Stories | Alumni, Friends and Families | Brandeis University - Brandeis... - December 11th, 2020
- Moscow will host the Chess Olympiad 2022, Budapest will host the Chess Olympiad 2024 - Chessbase News - December 11th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Is Inspiring Women to Take Up Chess - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Young Chess Stars Meet in a Winner Take All Tournament Checkmate! - The Zebra - December 9th, 2020
- The real-life Beth Harmon trounced men before 'The Queen's Gambit' - Insider - INSIDER - December 9th, 2020
- Think you know the US map by heart? Take our quiz to know for sure - Film Daily - December 9th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Yahoo Finance - December 8th, 2020
- Superfinals: Karjakin and Shuvalova take the lead - Chessbase News - December 8th, 2020
- Netflix show credited with renewing interest in chess - HalifaxToday.ca - December 8th, 2020
- The little known story of chesss real Beth Harmon - The Independent - December 8th, 2020
- Russian Superfinals 1-2: Karjakin & Nepo among the leaders - chess24 - December 8th, 2020
- The stillness of the hunter - Chessbase News - December 8th, 2020
- Trump tries to one-up wrestling champ with election win fantasy - Manila Bulletin - December 8th, 2020