The past 12 months have challenged the world in more ways that we could have ever anticipated as we cheered in the New Year on January 1.
The pandemic, police brutality against Black people and a Presidential election that divided the nation are just a handful of the events that have overshadowed hopes for the year and brought hardships, unimaginable pain and loss to many in the U.S.
But while there have been job losses, death, illness and anger, we have not entirely lost our capacity for joy. Although many of us would rather forget 2020, amidst the turmoil there have been many, sometimes surprising, moments of hope and triumph.
Below are 10 "good news" Newsweek essays that captured the attention of people around the world.
Aside from being an excellent student, 11-year-old, Logan "Bubba Crocker" Cooper also started his own baking business, LNC Sweets with Logan Cooper, at just 9-years-old.
Specialising in cakes, cheesecakes and cookies, in September Logan shared the story of how he bakes bespoke creations from his home in Texas and has made thousands from his endeavours.
One of the sweetest, and most unlikely, friendships we heard about in 2020 was that of Julie Taylor, 61, and Ben Thornbury 15.
In May, Julie told us how the pair met in 2013 thanks to a shared fence between their gardens and after becoming firm friends, now organize community clean-up activities in their hometown of Malmsbury, England.
As odd as it seems now, prior to 2020 most of us participated in social actitivies and legal proceedings in person and not over video call. But a pandemic wasn't going to stop Chad and Paul Beanblossom from adopting their 17-year-old foster son, Michael.
In May, Chad told the story of how Michael's adoption ceremony took place over Zoom, with more than 80 friends and family watching online.
Rendered jobless by the pandemic in April, Ben Mack's story showed us how powerful the kindness of strangers can be.
In May, Mack shared how, finding himself stuck in New Zealand with no job or place to live, he was facing homelessness before people he had never met stepped in to help him.
In June this year, New Jersey flight attendant Christine Primrose Mathis shared how other kids would make negative comments about her appearance when she was a teenager.
The 32-year-old mom of one now bears such a striking resemblance to Meghan Markle, that after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle married in 2018, Mathis signed to an agency as a professional Markle look-a-like. She told Newsweek that she has since has traveled to London and is pursuing a career as an actress.
In August this year, elementary school teacher Mai Jacobs went viral for all the right reasons. Her response to a tweet by Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who she had taught in second grade, captured the hearts of thousands.
Jacobs shared the story of the sweet Twitter exchange and how it gave her comfort during the pandemic, a time that has been extremely challenging for teachers across the U.S.
This year, many of us have sought comfort in brief moments of human kindness. The actions of Spanish triathlete, Diego Mntrida Zamarra, in September, showed his capacity for sportsmanship and selflessness.
After witnessing fellow competitor James Teagle take a wrong turn during the Santander Triathlon in Spain, Zamarra's actions at the finish line of the race resonated with people around the world, including the actor Will Smith.
We'll never know if a show about chess would have engaged so many in a non-pandemic year, but regardless, Netflix's The Queen's Gambit was one of the streaming platform's runaway hits of 2020.
As the world shifted it's gaze to chess, the 2020 Women's Chess World Champion, Ju Wenjun, shared her remarkable story of winning the last three world championships, and what it really takes to be a real-life female chess champion.
At the age of two, when most of us were learning the basics of language, Georgia-born Caleb Anderson was reading the preamble to the U.S. Constitution and learning fractions.
Unsurprisingly, the hugely talented 12-year-old is already at college in Georgia and shared this year that he wanted to study aerospace engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology in 2021. Caleb's amazing achievements were even spotted by Steve Harvey who then asked who would be paying for his tuition fees.
"When my parents explained that they were, Steve then said that his organization would pay," Caleb told Newsweek. Since his essay was published, Caleb has been accepted into Georgia Tech.
When there are still thousands of children across the U.S. without permanent homes, or families, a police officer who adopted his daughter this year after first meeting her while on patrol in 2018 was nothing short of inspiring.
In December, Lieutenant Brian K. Zach helped put a smile on our faces at the end of a tough year when he shared his story of officially adopting his daughter Kaila in August this year.
"The happiness level I would equate to when both my kids were born, it was that exciting for us," Zach said.
View original post here:
- How to get the most from ChessBase 16 - Chessbase News - January 20th, 2021
- What are the key factors and impact of interventions in Englands COVID-19 epidemic? - News-Medical.Net - January 20th, 2021
- Richmond Hill basketball coaches piece together scouting reports on opponents - Savannah Morning News - January 20th, 2021
- What The Biden Presidency Means For Privacy, Consumer Protection And Antitrust - AdExchanger - January 20th, 2021
- An intro to the fast-paced world of artificial intelligence - MIT News - January 20th, 2021
- Counter-UAS System Market Size, Growth Factor,Analysis And Forecast By 2027| Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Anglo Singapore International School are delighted to welcome you for a school visit. - Bangkok Post - January 20th, 2021
- A Guide to Optimizing Your Mental Health in 2021 - Dan's Papers - January 20th, 2021
- Chess Global Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Application, and Region - The Courier - January 15th, 2021
- ONTARIO: How one womans online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - TimminsToday - January 15th, 2021
- LaFleur Won't Be Able to Fool McVay on Saturday - Zone Coverage - January 15th, 2021
- Lewis Carroll Death Anniversary: Here are Some of the Author's Greatest Works - News18 - January 15th, 2021
- Reflecting on 'The Queen's Gambit': Are women genetically hardwired to underperform men in chess? - Genetic Literacy Project - January 13th, 2021
- Chess Market: Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- Why Its Not Too Late to Learn New Skills - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Global Counter UAV Market 2020 Trends, Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies and Forecast 2025 - SoccerNurds - January 13th, 2021
- The Seedy Chess World of Queens Gambit Is the Shows Masterstroke - Observer - January 9th, 2021
- Chess Market Study by Global and Regional Analysis with Forecast | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - NeighborWebSJ - January 9th, 2021
- How this Ontario woman's online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - Toronto Star - January 9th, 2021
- Americans are living 30 years longer on average and that's a big plus for businesses - Palo Alto Online - January 9th, 2021
- From Text to Tablet: How to Learn in Lockdown - Global Citizen - January 9th, 2021
- Overcoming lockdowns and uncertainty to triumph at the end of a tough year - Neos Kosmos - January 9th, 2021
- Science-backed strategies to deal with stress and anxiety - World Economic Forum - January 9th, 2021
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Is About More Than Just Chess - Study Breaks - January 6th, 2021
- Barnegat's Kasey Keshecki is our Student of the Week - wobm.com - January 6th, 2021
- Film Study: The Ohio State Offense Was Prepared to Peak in the College Football Playoff | Eleven Warriors - Eleven Warriors - January 6th, 2021
- Chess Market Statistical Overview 2021-2026 with Industry Insights and Growth by ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron, Chessncrafts, Chessbazaar.com, and... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Used Construction Machinery Market Precise Scenario Covering Trends, Competitive Scenario, Business Opportunities and Growth Forecast during... - January 6th, 2021
- 2021 Could Be a Banner Year for AIIf We Solve These 4 Problems - Singularity Hub - January 6th, 2021
- Anti-UAV Defense System Market Analysis, Opportunities, Competition Scenario, Threats, Future Prospects, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Chess Market to 2026 Industry Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis, and Forecast - Factory Gate - January 4th, 2021
- From the shadows into the light the man who broke the UFO embargo grew up in Sarasota - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 4th, 2021
- Six ways to reboot your brain after a hard year of Covid-19 according to science - iNews - January 4th, 2021
- Neuroscientists explain six ways to reboot your brain after a hard year of COVID-19 - PsyPost - January 4th, 2021
- Nithiin starrer Check first glimpse will leave you intrigued about his character | WATCH - Republic World - January 4th, 2021
- Irelands modern druids: There is hidden knowledge you are asked not to share - The Irish Times - January 4th, 2021
- Keep Calm and QAnon - Slate - December 31st, 2020
- Beginners by Tom Vanderbilt review it's never too late to learn - The Guardian - December 31st, 2020
- Yes, 2020 was a historically hellish year. Now for the good news | TheHill - The Hill - December 31st, 2020
- Literature alights that was once burned books | Dec. 30 - Jan. 5, 2020 - Real Change News - December 31st, 2020
- Google DeepMind unveils AI that can master chess without even knowing the rules - The Independent - December 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Latest updates on COVID-19 crisis around the world - Outlook India - December 29th, 2020
- Chess Market 2020 Future Growth Analysis With Focusing Key Players | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron - Factory Gate - December 29th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Research Report (2020-2026): Key Trends and Opportunities |Lockheed Martin, Thales, Boeing - Factory Gate - December 29th, 2020
- Kwanzaa in Louisville on heels of social justice movement - Alton Telegraph - December 29th, 2020
- The New China Challenge Stems from Beijings Old Ambitions - The National Interest - December 29th, 2020
- International Chess Market Opportunities And Forecast Analysis up to 2026 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- WHO: Learn from COVID Pandemic, It Wont be the Last - Voice of America - December 27th, 2020
- How 'The Flight Attendant' and 'The Queen's Gambit' Are the Same - GQ - December 27th, 2020
- Online shopping is here to stay in 2021: Refinitiv - Yahoo Money - December 27th, 2020
- Many Jews refrain from learning Torah on Christmas Eve and call it Nittel Nacht. Here's my family tradition to spread light. - JTA News - Jewish... - December 26th, 2020
- Global Chess Market Demand, Revenue, Trends, Profit Analysis and Landscape Outlook to 2026|| The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron -... - December 26th, 2020
- The kings gambit: Viswanathan Anand enters a different phase of his career - Sportstar - December 26th, 2020
- 19 Calm Coffee Places In Beirut Where You Can Focus While Working - The961 - December 26th, 2020
- DeepMinds Latest AI Can Win Games Without Knowing the Rules - Beebom - December 26th, 2020
- Chess Table Market Size By Type, By Application, By Geography, By Top Companies And Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - December 26th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Counter UAV Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - Factory Gate - December 23rd, 2020
- Bellamy Richardson The Williams Record - The Williams record - December 23rd, 2020
- Between the sacred and the secular - New Statesman - December 23rd, 2020
- In a winter of change, Eagles are learning that Jalen Hurts is no snowflake - NJ.com - December 22nd, 2020
- PhD grad uses math to explore the brain - ASU Now - December 22nd, 2020
- OPINION: Sometimes it's good to have a team - Arkansas Online - December 22nd, 2020
- Business is continuing its cloud migration. Train to become an Azure and AWS tech professional - The Next Web - December 22nd, 2020
- Staying On Top: How Chess Masters Study The Game ... - December 20th, 2020
- Struggling local entertainment venues: Its time for the state to show it CARES - Buffalo News - December 20th, 2020
- The best series and shows on Netflix in 2020 - RNZ - December 20th, 2020
- 21 Ways to Greater Well-Being in 2021 - Newswise - December 20th, 2020
- The Best Video Games of 2020 - The New Yorker - December 18th, 2020
- Memo to Blinken: Protect the brains of State Department employees - Federal News Network - December 18th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman Gives His Final Performance in 'Ma Raineys Black Bottom', and It's Gut-Wrenching - Glamour - December 18th, 2020
- Chess Course for High Performance: Grandmaster Package - December 17th, 2020
- Reasons to study international studies and diplomacy - Modern Diplomacy - December 17th, 2020
- Global Chess Market Demand and Opportunities 2026|| Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast -... - December 16th, 2020
- What is a 'Flow State' and How Can MTBers Get Into It More Often? - Singletracks.com - December 16th, 2020
- This is why you make bad decisions on the golf course (and how to fix it) - Golf.com - December 16th, 2020
- Author Sophie Cousens talks about her book, 'This Time Next Year' - Yahoo! Voices - December 16th, 2020
- The board games market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of approx. 13% during the period 20212026 - GlobeNewswire - December 16th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: 10 Times Beth Is The Heroine Fans Needed - Screen Rant - December 15th, 2020
- Chelmsford High School October Students of the Month - Wicked Local - December 15th, 2020
- Struggling Museums Are Increasingly Relying on the Generosity of Artists to Convince Private Donors to Bail Them Out - artnet News - December 15th, 2020