Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman on challenges of COVID-19 shortened 2021 season. Dec. 22, 2020. Detroit Free Press
The Detroit Red Wings normally relish the Christmas break, coming right around the midpoint of the season, as a chance to relax and reboot. But the coronavirus pandemic has disrupted all sense of normal, and instead the Wings are gearing up to start the 2021 season in mid-January.
When they do, it will have been 10 months since they last took to the ice at Little Caesars Arena. Instead of celebrating New Years Eve by playing a home game, the Wings will mark the last day of 2020 by starting training camp.
The NHL has not scheduled a game on Christmas Day since 1970. The break has allowed for high jinks, hanging at home and hope. In this challenging year, heres a look at the Wings past, present and future.
[ Why Steve Yzerman is excited to watch the Detroit Red Wings play. ]
No Detroit Red Wings player embodied Christmas more so than Tomas Holmstrom, shown here embracing Kirk Maltby, who in turn featured prominently when teammates celebrated Festivus.(Photo: PAUL WARNER, Associated Press)
Time was, the Wings would step into Christmas on a merry note. They cherishedFestivus, the Dec. 23 holiday made famous in one of the all-time classic "Seinfeld" episodes. For the Wings, it was all about "the Airing of Grievances."
Heres a gem from 2009, when Chris Osgood sounded off on Jimmy Howard and Kirk Maltby: I have a grievance against Jimmy for calling me five times a day. It's like I have three kids two daughters and a really old and immature son. He has his own dad, he has a grandpa. I'd like to see him call them more and me less. And Maltby, I mean, his lips are always flapping just non-stop. I wish he'd get a muzzle.
Osgood was in top form again in 2010, when he had a grievance, with, basically, all his teammates. The guys always take my toothpaste and my hair products out of my kit I use on the road. Always. I don't know who or why, but it's annoying.
That, in turn, led to Kris Drapers grievance: Ozzy steals my toothpaste and puts it in his kit. Happens all the time I buy it, he takes it.
Darren Helm took advantage of Festivus 2010 to air grievances against Osgood, Todd Bertuzzi, and especially Kris Draper. Draper delighted in framing Helm and Justin Abdelkader as the characters from the movie Dumb and Dumber (think hairdos Helm as Lloyd Christmas, Abdelkader as Harry Dunne).
Here was Helm at the time: Everybody for always telling me to slow down. Everyone for calling me Dumb and Dumber.' Ozzy for always having different nicknames for me every day. Drapes, same thing. Ozzy and Drapes for always ganging up on me and Abby. Bert's perfect, except he makes me get tape for him, and then he says it's for us' but there is no us. There's just him.
Of course, no player embodies Christmas quite like Tomas Holmstrom. Once teammates found out he was from Pite, Sweden not far from the Arctic Circle they delighted in handing him their wish lists in December, figuring he was practically neighbors with Santa Claus. Holmstrom did dress up as Father Christmas and surprised Nicklas Lidstroms children when they were toddlers.
NO GRIEVANCE: From stealing apples to winning 4 Stanley Cups: Nicklas Lidstrom at50 today
Ilimped a little bit because I was pretending to have been on this long trip, Holmstrom said in 2001. They thought I had come all the way from Sweden with presents for them.
At least Lidstrom repaid the favor: Asked what hed get Holmstrom for Christmas in 2007, Lidstrom replied, an ice scraper, so he doesn't have to use his credit cards when he's scraping his windshield.
That was also the year Pavel Datsyuk shared his Christmas wish: When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to drink a lot on Christmas and be drunk.
Detroit Red Wings selected 18-year-old Swedish winger Lucas Raymond with the No. 4 overall pick in the NHL draft, Oct. 6, 2020.(Photo: Detroit Red Wings)
THE (NEW) CAPTAIN: Yzerman: Red Wings will have captain in 2021 season
Steve Yzerman said this week he was anxious and excited to see the Wings play. Considering hes only 21 months into his tenure as general manager, Yzerman already has put quite an imprint on the team. He signaled that being a veteran wont buy a player leeway (Jonathan Ericsson was put on waivers last season; Justin Abdelkader was bought out in October) and brought in new faces in defensemen Marc Staal, Jon Merrill and Troy Stecher; forwards Bobby Ryan and Vladislav Namestnikov;and goaltender Thomas Greiss.
The Wings wont be contenders, but the additions suggest they will be more competitive than the team that won 17 games last season.
While we wait for the Wings to begin play, theres the World Junior Championship, which starts Christmas Day. The pandemic means there wont be any fans at the event at Edmontons Rogers Arena, but every game will be shown on NHL Network. The highlight of opening day has the U.S. taking on Russia at 9:30 p.m..
The Wings dont have any players on either of those teams, but you should recognize Russias coach its former Wings great and Russian Five pivotIgor Larionov, fondlyknown as The Professor for his cerebral tastes (chess and wine).
The Wings of course, have a bunch of players on the Swedish team, though. Most prominently theres Lucas Raymond, their fourth overall pick in 2020, as well as fellow forwards Theodor Niederbach and Elmer Soderblomand defensemen Albert Johansson and Gustav Berglund. Sweden opens play on Saturday with a game against the Czech Republic, which features Wings goaltending prospect Jan Bednar. The other Wings prospect at the tournament is Finland defenseman Eemil Viro.
HOW SWEDE IT IS:Lucas Raymond on why Steve Yzerman is 'excited to have me'
The tournament ends Jan. 5. To tide you over until the NHL begins Jan. 13, you can read up on the Wings tremendous history in my book, The Big 50: The Detroit Red Wings. Its available in bookstores and online via, among other outlets, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble. If you want a personalized copy, please email me at Hstjames@freepress.com.
Moritz Seider playing for Rgle, 2020-21 season(Photo: Andreas Ljunggren, Rogle)
The World Juniors offers an opportunity to get an eyeful of players eligible for the 2021 draft. While the changes made by Yzerman should make the Wings more competitive this season, they still project to finish near the bottom of the standings and, in turn, be in the draft lottery again. Wings assistant general manager Ryan Martin is at the event.
Michigan forward Matthew Beniers (USA) is one of the higher-end prospects at the tournament. Michigan did not, however, release defenseman Owen Power to Hockey Canada. (Because of travel restrictions between the U.S. and Canada, Power would have had to quarantine in Canada for two weeks before the start of Canadas camp.)Forward Aatu Rty, was left off Finlands roster, and Sweden left behind forward William Eklund after he tested positive for COVD-19 and cut defenseman Simon Edvinsson.
MEET MATTHEW BENIERS: He was supposed to play for Harvard. Now he might put Michigan hockey over the top
EURO-BUILD:Prospects Moritz Seider, Jonatan Berggren continue strong play in Sweden
Closer to home, the rebuild looks like it will get a boost from recent draft picks as soon as the autumn. Defenseman Moritz Seider (sixth, 2019) has 12 points in 19 games for Rgle in the Swedish Hockey League; it'sthe 19-year-olds third season in a mens league. Forward Jonatan Berggren (33rd, 2018) has 24 points in 23 games with Skellefte. Raymond has 12 points in 22 games with Frlunda. All project to make the Wings future better and brighter.
"The Big 50: Detroit Red Wings is written by Free Press sports writer Helene St. James, with a forward by goalie Chris Osgood. She explores the living history of the Red Wings, counting down from Nos. 50-1, including greats like Gordie Howe, Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and more.(Photo: Triumph Books)
Contact Helene St. James at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @helenestjames. Read more on the Detroit Red Wings and sign up for our Red Wings newsletter. Her book, The Big 50: TheDetroit Red Wings is available fromAmazon,Barnes & Noble andTriumph Books.Personalized copies available via her e-mail.
- Training young dogs walking this way and that is a gift these days - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- 'A tactical mind' - The inside story of how Dean Smith became Aston Villa's very own grand master - MSN UK - February 20th, 2021
- This is very unfortunate to have such incident: Jhulan Goswami on Manu Bhaker Delhi Airport incident - India Today - February 20th, 2021
- What prison libraries have to offer insidetime & insideinformation - InsideTime - February 17th, 2021
- Maxfield says unbeaten for Godolphin with stroll in the park win in the Grade 3 Mineshaft at the Fair Grounds - Past The Wire - February 15th, 2021
- Montville Recreation Offering Winter and Spring Programs - TAPinto.net - February 15th, 2021
- New Jersey Fencer Tsapatsaris Moves to Greece for Olympic Dream - The National Herald - February 15th, 2021
- A beautiful mind: Tom Brady has mastered the art of quarterbacking - The Boston Globe - February 7th, 2021
- Gary & Paul O'Donovan: 'Mam always sternly warned to never let a woman get in the way' - Irish Examiner - February 7th, 2021
- Beggars leave behind Jaipurs streets to pick up vocational skills - The Siasat Daily - February 7th, 2021
- Raise of the Sun | Connecticut Pro Basketball | journalinquirer.com - Journal Inquirer - February 6th, 2021
- One Year of On-Demand IT Training Special Promotion - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2021
- Kill the Homothetic Army: Gen. Guy Hubin's Vision of the Future Battlefield - War on the Rocks - February 4th, 2021
- Revealed: The best chambers for training and quality of work 2021 - Legal Cheek - February 3rd, 2021
- Coral Springs Recognizes Over 20 Members of the Community During Black History Month - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - February 3rd, 2021
- Watching The Queens Gambit? Master the game of chess with this extensive training bundle - KSAT San Antonio - February 1st, 2021
- Thomas Tuchels transformation from crazy man to chess-style tactics grandmaster detailed by former team- - The Sun - February 1st, 2021
- MLB Players Are Pissed With Rob Manfred Again, This Time Because Of Possible Spring Training Delay - Awesemo.com - February 1st, 2021
- Three reasons why you should play chess The Badger Herald - UW Badger Herald - January 28th, 2021
- To err is not just human: U of T researchers develop AI that plays chess like a person - News@UofT - January 28th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN - January 28th, 2021
- Chess during downtime: How the Corps wants to increase 'thinking' in Marine infantry - Marine Corps Times - January 26th, 2021
- Using chess to help deal with addictions - Chessbase News - January 26th, 2021
- Gerry Thornley: Without crowds, matches are just upgraded training sessions - The Irish Times - January 26th, 2021
- Here's where Peoria council District 1 candidates stand on taxes, business growth, pensions - Peoria Journal Star - January 26th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN Philippines - January 26th, 2021
- Welcome to FIFA.com News - The Week in Quotes - FIFA.com - January 25th, 2021
- Premier League stars share their tips on how to stay positive during the national lockdown - Ghanasoccernet.com - January 23rd, 2021
- This surprising pre-round warm-up will improve your game, according to a study - Golf.com - January 23rd, 2021
- Brittany Bowe starts abbreviated international season, hungry to return as queen of 1000m - Home of the Olympic Channel - January 23rd, 2021
- The influencer who is a chess star and the Beth Harmon of our time - The Courier - January 15th, 2021
- Former professor and an internationally rated chess player, Raghavan is taking chess to underprivileged k - Times of India - January 9th, 2021
- Ex-Viking Everson Griffen: 'It's Never Been About the Money!' - Heavy.com - January 9th, 2021
- Hobbies: January is the perfect time to explore new activities | GUIDON - Myguidon - January 9th, 2021
- A year like no other: The good, bad and sad of Indian sport in 2020 - Scroll.in - January 4th, 2021
- 17 Hoboken + Jersey City News Stories You Missed This Week - hobokengirl.com - January 4th, 2021
- Stop the pawns! - Chessbase News - December 31st, 2020
- In Beginners, a Writer Takes Up Chess and Surfing and Singing and Juggling and - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- The year of innovation: The 2020 silver linings playbook, brought to you by sport - ESPN India - December 31st, 2020
- How generation Z are taking over the cycling world - Cycling Weekly - December 31st, 2020
- Up close with Anand - BusinessLine - December 31st, 2020
- 8 movies and shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video from 2020 that sparked larger conversations - VOGUE India - December 31st, 2020
- A Discovery of Witches Season 1 Recap - The Nerd Daily - December 29th, 2020
- France and the United States are fighting for the 17-year-old genius. He had to turn away - R&R Magazine (www.randrlife.co.uk) Rest and Relax - December 29th, 2020
- Ghost of the tura: Of lost skills, tradition and language The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 27th, 2020
- Holiday happenings in Pittsburgh, from the Hip Hop Nutcracker online to First Night's virtual celebration - NEXTpittsburgh - December 23rd, 2020
- This Years Lakers Are Just Built Different. Time Will Tell If Thats a Good Thing. - The Ringer - December 23rd, 2020
- Timberwolves must defend to win, and Karl-Anthony Towns knows it - West Central Tribune - December 23rd, 2020
- LESSONS FROM THE PAST 12: Are Indians Too Individualistic? - Moneylife - December 23rd, 2020
- The 2020 Vikings offense is good until it has to be - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 22nd, 2020
- Community groups in the Harborough area get a share of just over 30,000, thanks to the Market Harborough Building Society Charitable Foundation -... - December 20th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Insider - INSIDER - December 18th, 2020
- 2020 in Review | 10 AI Papers That Made an Impact - Synced - December 18th, 2020
- Artoo, take the wheel: U-2 spy plane flies for the first time with an AI co-pilot - DefenseNews.com - December 18th, 2020
- Star Wars: Every Apprentice Palpatine Had (In Canon and Legends) - Screen Rant - December 18th, 2020
- AI co-pilots US Air Force spy plane for the first time - The Next Web - December 18th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Business Insider India - December 18th, 2020
- RING CITY USA OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES AHEAD OF FINAL THURSDAY FIGHT NIGHT OF 2020 Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule,... - December 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Giroud and Kante interview | Official Site - Chelsea FC - December 17th, 2020
- Air Force uses AI on military flight for first time | TheHill - The Hill - December 17th, 2020
- Z-Corp in association with OCC launches online platform to teach chess - Times of Oman - December 16th, 2020
- Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold on What It's Really Like to Endure the Premier League's Notorious "Festive Period" - InsideHook - December 16th, 2020
- The View from 2nd Marine Air Wing: The Perspective of Major General Cederholm - Second Line of Defense - Second Line of Defense - December 16th, 2020
- Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand opens an online academy to find the next Anand - Business Insider India - December 15th, 2020
- 5 Free Ways to Learn How to Play Chess Online and Improve Your Skills - MakeUseOf - December 13th, 2020
- Olympia Parks, Arts and Recreation Courses Go (Mostly) Virtual for Winter 2021 - ThurstonTalk - December 13th, 2020
- Clean and Clear Advantage Recovery drug rehab has open house - Parkersburg News - December 13th, 2020
- Singapore chess and The Queen's Gambit: Has the Netflix show raised interest in the game? - CNA - December 12th, 2020
- Maybe shake hands and move on? - Plainsman - December 11th, 2020
- Media Bashing of Murray Taken to New Lows - Revenge of the Birds - December 11th, 2020
- The real Queens Gambit: Judit Polgar | Culture| Arts, music and lifestyle reporting from Germany - DW (English) - December 9th, 2020
- Dear Adult Leaders: We're Still Teaching Like We're Training 19th Century Factory Workers. Think Beyond Classroom Walls to Nurture Innovators and... - December 9th, 2020
- Facebook Gaming Launches The New Black Gaming Creator Program - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- What the Tech? Gadget Gifts: Chess Set and Mirror - Alabama News - Alabama News Network - December 8th, 2020
- 'Capitalists tend to adopt technologies only as and when they suit their purposes' - Morning Star Online - December 8th, 2020
- Wanderers' Jems Geffrard is ready for 2021: 'We have unfinished business' - Canadian Premier League - December 8th, 2020
- "All we have done really is earned another two weeks' training" - GAA Football & Hurling - December 8th, 2020
- Rob Pelinka, Frank Vogel are excited about the state of the Lakers - Silver Screen and Roll - December 6th, 2020
- Online interactive chess training - The Hindu - December 5th, 2020
- India at the Para Olympiad: In conversation with FM Niranjan Navalgund - Sportskeeda - December 5th, 2020