Here are the virtual and outdoor holiday happenings you need to know about in Pittsburgh: December 25-31. Know of an interesting event?Email us here.
Friday, December 25: Fireside Nutcracker with Pittsburgh Ballet TheatreVarious timesGet swept off your feet this Christmas with one of ballets most iconic productions. PBT is bringing this beloved local tradition right to living rooms with a film adaptation showcasing innovative choreography, timeless characters and Tchaikovskys soaring music.Register for free.
Photo courtesy of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
Friday, December 25: Tapestry of Light with the Pittsburgh Symphony OrchestraVarious timesThe winter solstice is bringing a bit more light into our lives and this holiday concert is the perfect seasonal offering. Available for free viewing via the PSO website, the production features Pops Conductor Byron Stripling, vocalist Vanessa Campagna, the Pittsburgh Youth Chorus and more.
Friday, December 25: The Hip Hop Nutcracker with the Harris Theater @ HomeVarious timesRemix your holidays with this fresh new take on a classic. The holiday mashup stars famed rapper Kurtis Blow, along with dancers, DJs and a violinist. Directed and choreographed by Jennifer Weber, its a contemporary spectacle the entire family can dance along to. Buy tickets.
Photo courtesy of Pittsburgh Public Theater.
Friday, December 25: Charles Dickens A Christmas CarolVarious timesDont be a Scrooge and miss this thrilling production. Starring Tony Award-winning actor Jefferson Mays as the inimitable Ebenezer, the exclusive streaming show benefits Pittsburgh Public Theater and independent theaters across the country. Buy tickets.
Saturday, December 26 through Monday, December 28: The Wizards of Oakwood Drive with the EQT Childrens Festival @ HomeVarious timesCalling all wizards in training! Equal parts treasure hunt, magic show and theatrical performance, this live interactive event created by Tom Salamon will take youngsters on a thrilling Zoom adventure. Buy tickets to receive a list of supplies and instructions.
Saturday, December 26: Claws Out: A Holiday Drag Musical with City Theatre7:30 p.m.The day after Christmas cant be boring as long as youre watching this world premiere drag show. Set in the icy North Pole and packed with pop-culture references, the musical created by Monteze Freeland and Shua Potter depicts an epic showdown between Mrs. Rachel Claus and rookie Roberta. Have a cocktail handy. Buy tickets.
Saturday, December 26: Jingle Bell Rocks! with the Harris Theater @ HomeVarious timesTired of hearing the same stale Christmas music? Your holiday weekend will rock with some of the weirdest, wildest, most poignant Christmas songs youve never heard. Directed by Mitchell Kezin, the cinematic production includes live performances, personal interviews and rare footage with musical legends. Rent the film online.
Saturday, December 26: Skiing and Snow Tubing at Boyce Park10 a.m.-9 p.m.The slopes at Boyce Park are officially open for wintertime fun. In accordance with new restrictions and operational changes, the attraction offers skiing and snow tubing sessions. Buy tickets.
Photo courtesy of Allegheny County.
Sunday, December 27: A Musical Christmas Carol Broadcast with the Pittsburgh CLO1 p.m.Make it a matinee Sunday in your household. You havent experienced crabby Scrooge until you see him portrayed by everyones favorite Walton, Richard Thomas. Recorded live at the Byham Theater, the production also features a cast of Pittsburgh favorites. Watch for free on WQED.
Sunday, December 27: In the Booth and Behind the Scenes with PICT Classic Theatres A Christmas CarolVarious timesHow is a radio drama actually made? Go into the recording booth at WQED for a behind-the-scenes look at PICTs latest broadcast of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol. Directed by Alan Stanford, the streaming holiday production features the vocal talents of 14 performers. Buy tickets.
Monday, December 28: Winter Window Displays at The TerminalVarious timesStroll through one Pittsburghs most anticipated new redevelopments to see how 17 local nonprofits have transformed The Terminals storefront windows. Explore the sites new heated passageways, which house creative benches, lighting and murals.
Monday, December 28: Chill: Livestream Community Class with Breathe Yoga Studio6:30-7:30 p.m.Exhale and achieve balance during the chaotic holiday season with yoga instructor Melissa Favero. Open to all levels and ages, the online vinyasa-style class will include rhythmic movements and a blend of taichi and yoga. Buy tickets.
Tuesday, December 29: Breathe, Meditate and Yoga to Recharge for the New Year9 a.m.Welcome Decembers Cold Moon with this revitalizing online class open to all levels. Learn how breathwork, meditation and yin yoga can help you stay centered while preparing for the new year. Register here.
Tuesday, December 29: The Queens Gambit Chess Institute with the EQT Childrens Theater Festival @ Home10 a.m.If you have a budding Beth Harmon in your clan, dont miss this. Geared toward students in grades 3 and up, the online workshop includes a strategy lesson with competitive, trained chess players and special opportunities to play the game. Register for free.
Photo courtesy of The Frick Pittsburgh.
Tuesday, December 29: Clayton Christmas Memories with The Frick Pittsburgh7-8 p.m.The historic Clayton mansion is one of Pittsburghs most festive holiday destinations. The museum is bringing the holiday magic to you with this virtual event showcasing the homes ornate decorations and installations along with stories about how the Frick family celebrated the season. Buy tickets.
Wednesday, December 30: Virtual Dinosaur Armor Tour with Carnegie Museum of Natural History3-4 p.m.Discover the development of body armor spanning 500 million years during this virtual tour of the world premiere exhibition. Join museum experts to see extraordinary specimens and learn about eye-popping body armor on dinosaurs, fish, reptiles and mammals. Buy tickets.
Photo courtesy of Carnegie Museum of Natural History.
Wednesday, December 30: For the Love of Furniture: Chippendale Slant Front Desk7 p.m.Furniture lovers should not miss this talk by interior designer Tony Allgeier, who will discuss the Westmoreland Museum of American Arts 18th-century Chippendale desk, while exploring topics like design, architecture, fashion and film. Register for free.
Thursday, December 31: Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale with Row House Cinema Online12 p.m.Tired of watching Home Alone and A Christmas Story? Enjoy this fantasy film from Finland about people living near the Korvatunturi mountain who discover the secret behind Santa Claus. Rent the movie online.
Thursday, December 31: Celebrate the Sounds of the Season: Virtual Christmas ConcertVarious timesIts the final day to enjoy this gift from Duquesne Universitys Mary Pappert School of Music. Packed with holiday hits and classics, the free streaming concert features performances by 13 student ensembles.
Thursday, December 31: First Night11 p.m.Countless reasons to leave 2020 behind, right? Join KDKAs Heather Abraham and David Highfield, plus a few hundred-thousand neighbors, for this broadcast spectacular featuring music and entertainment by FRZY, Mariand Torres, Nick Duckart, Eric Jones and Hadestown. Who needs Times Square when weve got the Future of Pittsburgh Ball and rockin fireworks? Make your celebration complete and support the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust by ordering a First Night Friends in a Box.
For more events, gohere.
Pittsburgh eventsPittsburgh holiday eventsPittsburgh virtual eventsThings to do in DecemberThings to do in PittsburghThings to do this weekend
- Training young dogs walking this way and that is a gift these days - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- 'A tactical mind' - The inside story of how Dean Smith became Aston Villa's very own grand master - MSN UK - February 20th, 2021
- This is very unfortunate to have such incident: Jhulan Goswami on Manu Bhaker Delhi Airport incident - India Today - February 20th, 2021
- What prison libraries have to offer insidetime & insideinformation - InsideTime - February 17th, 2021
- Maxfield says unbeaten for Godolphin with stroll in the park win in the Grade 3 Mineshaft at the Fair Grounds - Past The Wire - February 15th, 2021
- Montville Recreation Offering Winter and Spring Programs - TAPinto.net - February 15th, 2021
- New Jersey Fencer Tsapatsaris Moves to Greece for Olympic Dream - The National Herald - February 15th, 2021
- A beautiful mind: Tom Brady has mastered the art of quarterbacking - The Boston Globe - February 7th, 2021
- Gary & Paul O'Donovan: 'Mam always sternly warned to never let a woman get in the way' - Irish Examiner - February 7th, 2021
- Beggars leave behind Jaipurs streets to pick up vocational skills - The Siasat Daily - February 7th, 2021
- Raise of the Sun | Connecticut Pro Basketball | journalinquirer.com - Journal Inquirer - February 6th, 2021
- One Year of On-Demand IT Training Special Promotion - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2021
- Kill the Homothetic Army: Gen. Guy Hubin's Vision of the Future Battlefield - War on the Rocks - February 4th, 2021
- Revealed: The best chambers for training and quality of work 2021 - Legal Cheek - February 3rd, 2021
- Coral Springs Recognizes Over 20 Members of the Community During Black History Month - Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - February 3rd, 2021
- Watching The Queens Gambit? Master the game of chess with this extensive training bundle - KSAT San Antonio - February 1st, 2021
- Thomas Tuchels transformation from crazy man to chess-style tactics grandmaster detailed by former team- - The Sun - February 1st, 2021
- MLB Players Are Pissed With Rob Manfred Again, This Time Because Of Possible Spring Training Delay - Awesemo.com - February 1st, 2021
- Three reasons why you should play chess The Badger Herald - UW Badger Herald - January 28th, 2021
- To err is not just human: U of T researchers develop AI that plays chess like a person - News@UofT - January 28th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN - January 28th, 2021
- Chess during downtime: How the Corps wants to increase 'thinking' in Marine infantry - Marine Corps Times - January 26th, 2021
- Using chess to help deal with addictions - Chessbase News - January 26th, 2021
- Gerry Thornley: Without crowds, matches are just upgraded training sessions - The Irish Times - January 26th, 2021
- Here's where Peoria council District 1 candidates stand on taxes, business growth, pensions - Peoria Journal Star - January 26th, 2021
- Robert Saleh's journey to the New York Jets began with 9/11 epiphany - ESPN Philippines - January 26th, 2021
- Welcome to FIFA.com News - The Week in Quotes - FIFA.com - January 25th, 2021
- Premier League stars share their tips on how to stay positive during the national lockdown - Ghanasoccernet.com - January 23rd, 2021
- This surprising pre-round warm-up will improve your game, according to a study - Golf.com - January 23rd, 2021
- Brittany Bowe starts abbreviated international season, hungry to return as queen of 1000m - Home of the Olympic Channel - January 23rd, 2021
- The influencer who is a chess star and the Beth Harmon of our time - The Courier - January 15th, 2021
- Former professor and an internationally rated chess player, Raghavan is taking chess to underprivileged k - Times of India - January 9th, 2021
- Ex-Viking Everson Griffen: 'It's Never Been About the Money!' - Heavy.com - January 9th, 2021
- Hobbies: January is the perfect time to explore new activities | GUIDON - Myguidon - January 9th, 2021
- A year like no other: The good, bad and sad of Indian sport in 2020 - Scroll.in - January 4th, 2021
- 17 Hoboken + Jersey City News Stories You Missed This Week - hobokengirl.com - January 4th, 2021
- Stop the pawns! - Chessbase News - December 31st, 2020
- In Beginners, a Writer Takes Up Chess and Surfing and Singing and Juggling and - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- The year of innovation: The 2020 silver linings playbook, brought to you by sport - ESPN India - December 31st, 2020
- How generation Z are taking over the cycling world - Cycling Weekly - December 31st, 2020
- Up close with Anand - BusinessLine - December 31st, 2020
- 8 movies and shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video from 2020 that sparked larger conversations - VOGUE India - December 31st, 2020
- A Discovery of Witches Season 1 Recap - The Nerd Daily - December 29th, 2020
- France and the United States are fighting for the 17-year-old genius. He had to turn away - R&R Magazine (www.randrlife.co.uk) Rest and Relax - December 29th, 2020
- Ghost of the tura: Of lost skills, tradition and language The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 27th, 2020
- Ho, Ho, Hockeytown: A holiday guide to Detroit Red Wings' past, present and future - Detroit Free Press - December 26th, 2020
- This Years Lakers Are Just Built Different. Time Will Tell If Thats a Good Thing. - The Ringer - December 23rd, 2020
- Timberwolves must defend to win, and Karl-Anthony Towns knows it - West Central Tribune - December 23rd, 2020
- LESSONS FROM THE PAST 12: Are Indians Too Individualistic? - Moneylife - December 23rd, 2020
- The 2020 Vikings offense is good until it has to be - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 22nd, 2020
- Community groups in the Harborough area get a share of just over 30,000, thanks to the Market Harborough Building Society Charitable Foundation -... - December 20th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Insider - INSIDER - December 18th, 2020
- 2020 in Review | 10 AI Papers That Made an Impact - Synced - December 18th, 2020
- Artoo, take the wheel: U-2 spy plane flies for the first time with an AI co-pilot - DefenseNews.com - December 18th, 2020
- Star Wars: Every Apprentice Palpatine Had (In Canon and Legends) - Screen Rant - December 18th, 2020
- AI co-pilots US Air Force spy plane for the first time - The Next Web - December 18th, 2020
- Meet the modern-day Beth Harmon, a chess influencer who started training when she was 6 years old - Business Insider India - December 18th, 2020
- RING CITY USA OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES AHEAD OF FINAL THURSDAY FIGHT NIGHT OF 2020 Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule,... - December 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Giroud and Kante interview | Official Site - Chelsea FC - December 17th, 2020
- Air Force uses AI on military flight for first time | TheHill - The Hill - December 17th, 2020
- Z-Corp in association with OCC launches online platform to teach chess - Times of Oman - December 16th, 2020
- Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold on What It's Really Like to Endure the Premier League's Notorious "Festive Period" - InsideHook - December 16th, 2020
- The View from 2nd Marine Air Wing: The Perspective of Major General Cederholm - Second Line of Defense - Second Line of Defense - December 16th, 2020
- Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand opens an online academy to find the next Anand - Business Insider India - December 15th, 2020
- 5 Free Ways to Learn How to Play Chess Online and Improve Your Skills - MakeUseOf - December 13th, 2020
- Olympia Parks, Arts and Recreation Courses Go (Mostly) Virtual for Winter 2021 - ThurstonTalk - December 13th, 2020
- Clean and Clear Advantage Recovery drug rehab has open house - Parkersburg News - December 13th, 2020
- Singapore chess and The Queen's Gambit: Has the Netflix show raised interest in the game? - CNA - December 12th, 2020
- Maybe shake hands and move on? - Plainsman - December 11th, 2020
- Media Bashing of Murray Taken to New Lows - Revenge of the Birds - December 11th, 2020
- The real Queens Gambit: Judit Polgar | Culture| Arts, music and lifestyle reporting from Germany - DW (English) - December 9th, 2020
- Dear Adult Leaders: We're Still Teaching Like We're Training 19th Century Factory Workers. Think Beyond Classroom Walls to Nurture Innovators and... - December 9th, 2020
- Facebook Gaming Launches The New Black Gaming Creator Program - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- What the Tech? Gadget Gifts: Chess Set and Mirror - Alabama News - Alabama News Network - December 8th, 2020
- 'Capitalists tend to adopt technologies only as and when they suit their purposes' - Morning Star Online - December 8th, 2020
- Wanderers' Jems Geffrard is ready for 2021: 'We have unfinished business' - Canadian Premier League - December 8th, 2020
- "All we have done really is earned another two weeks' training" - GAA Football & Hurling - December 8th, 2020
- Rob Pelinka, Frank Vogel are excited about the state of the Lakers - Silver Screen and Roll - December 6th, 2020
- Online interactive chess training - The Hindu - December 5th, 2020
- India at the Para Olympiad: In conversation with FM Niranjan Navalgund - Sportskeeda - December 5th, 2020