Quentin Turner, owner of Your Move Chess & Games in Massapequa, has been so overwhelmed by online orders for chess sets that for the first time since 1996, the retail store has closed temporarily so employees can focus on shipping the requests.
"Its very crazy," Turner says. "Were 720 orders behind." Turner, whose store ships nationwide through its chessusa.com website, is seeing a burst in interest in the game that others in the chess world also say theyve noted since the Netflix series "The Queens Gambit" debuted on Oct. 23.
The show, still the No. 1 series on Netflix in early December, focuses on a fictional female chess phenomenon in the 1960s and is based on the 1983 book of the same name. It follows Kentucky orphan Beth Harmon as she grows up and battles drug and alcohol addiction and sexism to become the world chess champion, beating man after man at high-stakes tournaments in Las Vegas, Mexico City and Russia. More than 62 million households watched the seven-episode series in its first month, according to Netflix.
"The Queens Gambit" makes chess and chess players look cool, adult players say. "Its not just the nerdy game," says Neal Bellon of East Meadow, founder and club director of the Long Island Chess Club, which meets at the United Methodist Church in East Meadow.
Chess features 32 pieces, with black and white battling on a 64-space board, each player striving to trap and capture the others king to win. It takes strategy and thinking ahead to anticipate an opponents future moves. "Queens Gambit" viewers may not have realized chess could be so intense and exciting, Bellon says.
The shows popularity has spurred adults to embrace chess sets as holiday gifts, leading to a flood of orders on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Turner says. "Were going to run out of everything would be my guess."
An uptick in the interest in chess began with the pandemic, when people were stuck home looking for things to entertain themselves, says Nick Barton, director of business development for Chess.com, a worldwide online platform where players face off with others virtually, similar to the way players battle in Words With Friends.
Get the scoop on events, nightlife, day trips, family fun and things to do on Long Island.
"The last weekend of March, we added 55,000 members in a single day. That was a record in company history," Barton says. That record was smashed after "The Queens Gambit" aired, when closer to 130,000 people began joining per day, he says. "Almost every day in November was a new record of people joining Chess.com. We thought it was going to taper off already, but it hasnt happened."
Zachary Mezzo, 21, of Mineola, followed that trajectory. "I learned how to play when I was really young," says the New York University senior, who is studying music composition. "Then when the pandemic started, I really got back into playing more. When the Long Island Chess Club reopened, I wanted to try playing in some real competitive games. I was really excited when The Queens Gambit came out, because it was getting chess into the mainstream. I was seeing more of my friends become interested in something I really cared about."
Neil Goldberg, owner of Main Street Board Game Caf in Huntington, says he didnt understand why he was suddenly getting so many calls asking about whether he carried chess sets until his wife put two and two together. And when customers come in to play games in person at the cafe, he notices more of them choosing to play chess. Hes increased his inventory. "Theyre starting to move at a much higher rate," he says of chess sets.
According to the Port Washington-based NPD Group, sales of chess sets jumped 87% in the United States in the three weeks following "The Queens Gambit" debut, and chess book sales rose 603%.
The Long Island Chess Club has a 400-member Facebook page, and "Ive been getting more requests in the past two months than in the past year," Bellon says. "Theyre asking What do I need to join? How do I join the U.S. Chess Federation? How long are tournaments?" And, while he's gotten more women asking questions about the game than ever before, he says that chess remains a male-dominated pursuit. Chess.com's Barton says that his site has seen an increase in the number of women playing since "The Queen's Gambit," with about one-third of new players during the first week of December being female, the highest the site has ever seen. "Typically it's hovering around 25%," he says of the numbers before the show aired.
Daniel Delacruz, 39, an ice-cream maker from South Jamesport, is a high-level chess player. He says the renewed interest in chess has made him want to take it more seriously, so he's studying so he can offer more value to adults who pay him $35 an hour for online lessons.
Though "The Queens Gambit" is geared to adults, the interest spurred by it has spilled over into the childrens chess world, Barton says. Chess.coms sister site chesskid.com has seen a similar spike in interest, he says. "Parents are looking for something for kids to engage with. Theyre fine with their kids being addicted to video games when that game is chess."
Young adults such as Mezzo are also being enticed, in part because of expert players streaming their games on sites such as Twitch.com and YouTube, Barton and Mezzo both say. "Chess was primed for a moment like this," Barton says.
Beth Whitehouse writes about families, parenting and great things to do with the kids on Long Island. Shes been a Newsday editor and shared a 1997 Newsday staff Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the crash of TWA Flight 800.
- Be well prepared - with the ChessBase Magazine - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2021
- Nine Attention-Grabbing Inventions Unveiled at This Year's CES - Smithsonian Magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Canadian chess master Ross Siemms pleased with new interest in the game - Toronto Sun - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: check out the world's craziest new gaming and consumer tech - Happy Mag - January 13th, 2021
- A Black Repertoire versus the Anti-Sicilians - Chessbase News - January 13th, 2021
- 'The Last of Us' prologue easter egg discovered after seven years - NME - January 13th, 2021
- Trolling the Great Outdoors - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Good, bad, and ugly 2020 - The New Indian Express - December 29th, 2020
- DeepMind's New AI Is Able To Learn The Rules Of A Game As It Plays - Unite.AI - December 27th, 2020
- Chess captures new fans thanks to the pandemic and 'The Queen's Gambit' - CBC.ca - December 27th, 2020
- Bridgewater Man And Woman Arrested In Connection To Stabbing On Christmas Eve - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Off Their Game Week 16 - Robby Anderson - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Five Tips To Become A World Chess Champion: Vasily Smyslov's Story - Chess.com - December 27th, 2020
- 20 top TV moments of 2020: From 'Jeopardy!' to 'Tiger King' and that wild election - USA TODAY - December 26th, 2020
- The Westbridge Anand Chess Academy will train five of India's biggest talents - Chessbase News - December 23rd, 2020
- Elliot Page Was Supposed to Star in The Queens Gambit - Rare.us - December 22nd, 2020
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? video - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- From Bake Off woes to Zoom fiascos: 2020 in lists - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- KCF University Cup to be played online in February - Chessbase News - December 20th, 2020
- 2020 smartphone mega shootout: The best camera phones tested - Android Authority - December 20th, 2020
- The best websites to play chess after watching 'Queen's Gambit' | Tech | December 17, 2020 - Explica - December 17th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: The glaring flaw of 'The Queens Gambit' that no one wants to mention - National Post - December 12th, 2020
- Best of 2020: How The Queen's Gambit made its chess look real - Entertainment Weekly - December 11th, 2020
- 5 Easy Steps That You Need to Follow To Become A Micro Influencer - Vizaca.com - December 11th, 2020
- Omena, Miguna and onions most googled in 2020 - The Standard - December 11th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Financial Post - December 8th, 2020
- Inuit-designed board game Nunami hits the shelves - Nunatsiaq News - December 8th, 2020
- How to play chess like Beth from The Queen's Gambit - The Spectator US - December 5th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Video creation app Firework insists it is more than a TikTok rival as it woos publishers in India - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2020
- Meghan and Harry are in hot water over The Crown and their Netflix deal - NEWS.com.au - December 3rd, 2020
- The Cord's Best of 2020 The Cord - The Cord - December 3rd, 2020
- Madonna Shared a Rare, Festive Family Portrait Ahead of the Holidays - HarpersBAZAAR.com - December 1st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' got you feeling chess? The best websites to play on - Film Daily - December 1st, 2020
- Mr Beast teases chess match with grandmaster Hikaru - Dexerto - December 1st, 2020
- The 42 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 29th, 2020
- Black Friday 2020 Live Update: A later Black Friday boost; hot holiday gifts: Legos and chess sets - CNBC - November 27th, 2020
- Chess championship: A 10-year-old Filipino takes over global stage - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- Netflix, HBO Max Battle Over 'Godzilla' Rights, Disney Plus Performs 'On Pointe' - The Streamable - November 27th, 2020
- A game-changing moment for chess - CNN Video - November 26th, 2020
- Carlsen on The Queen's Gambit: A little too unrealistic - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- Understanding before Moving 2: How to improve the activity of my pieces - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Gurgaon girl to represent India in World Youth Chess Championship - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 5) - Chessbase News - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - CNN - November 20th, 2020
- Cybercrimes can cost companies money, customers, and employees. Here's what types of cybersecurity protocols e - Business Insider India - November 18th, 2020
- Politicians are conquering the world of video games - Metro US - November 18th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 4) - Chessbase News - November 16th, 2020
- How "The Queen's Gambit" is inspiring a wave of new chess fans, especially women - Salon - November 16th, 2020
- 5 great shows to watch on Netflix this weekend - Netflix Life - November 8th, 2020
- Chess and scientific research - Chessbase News - November 6th, 2020
- Harry Melling on 'Queen's Gambit' and His Haunting Liam Neeson Team-Up - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Darrell Hammond on Sean Connery Impression: "The Single Most Successful Thing I Ever Did As a Performer" - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Win or lose, with Trump, prepare for the unimaginable after the election - CNN - November 1st, 2020
- VIDEOS - Play Chess with Friends - October 31st, 2020
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - October 31st, 2020
- Chess videos | chess24.com - October 31st, 2020
- Gillian Jacobs Talks Improvising for the First Time on Dont Think Twice - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- TikToker Abby Roberts reacts to bizarre theory shes not really British - Dexerto - October 31st, 2020
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: 'Borat 2' on Amazon Prime Video+ More - Decider - October 24th, 2020
- Premiere: Sweet Crude Reaches Their "Ultimatum" - Popdust - October 23rd, 2020
- Gordon Ramsay Sipped Ocean Spray In His Latest TikTok Tirade, Referencing The Viral 'Dreams' Video - Delish.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast on How the Netflix Drama Goes Beyond the Chess Board (VIDEO) - TV Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen beats Caruana to take the lead - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- Connected pawns on the move - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- New: Sergei Tiviakov - How to play the Ruy Lopez with Qe2 - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - StreetInsider.com - October 7th, 2020
- Woman Can't Stump Her Husband With Riddles No Matter How Hard She Tries - Distractify - October 3rd, 2020
- Unearthing Every NFL Team's Early Hidden Gem - Bleacher Report - September 30th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Teaser: Anya Taylor-Joy Is Addicted to Chess, Drugs, and More Chess - Vulture - September 28th, 2020
- 'Console Wars' Review: A Fascinating, Fundamental Chronicle of the Innovative Battle Between SEGA and Nintendo - /FILM - September 24th, 2020
- WATCH: Why Nurse-Stevens was the best chess match in NBA history - Celtics Wire - September 24th, 2020
- The shifting chessboard of international influence operations - Brookings Institution - September 24th, 2020
- Yuzvendra Chahals Dance Videos That Went Viral! - IWMBuzz - September 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best chess and checkers games for Android - Explica - September 12th, 2020
- FIDE announces that the Candidates Tournament will resume on November 1st - Chessbase News - September 11th, 2020
- George Conway Shows What's Going On In Trump's Head In Exclusive 'Unfit' Clip - HuffPost - September 11th, 2020
- Pokelawls signed as streamer to TSM - Daily Esports - September 9th, 2020
- 30 fun ways to stay connected through video calls - Bryan-College Station Eagle - September 7th, 2020