The Queens Gambit, set in the competitive world of chess during the Cold War, may have been an unlikely contender for the world's new favourite television series.
But the central character, Beth Harmon, a young woman determined to make her mark on the male-dominated sport, captured the hearts of audiences.
Now, the popularity of the series is sparking a renewed interest in the game, with searches for the words "chess set" on eBay up by almost 300 per cent.
For Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen, the world's top-rated chess player and current world chess champion, Beth's experience in the show isn't so far removed from his own.
Like Harmon, Carlsen was a child prodigy, becoming a Grandmaster aged just 13.
"I was also playing against adults at a fairly young age and clearly they are not going to believe immediately that you have the strength," he told Euronews.
"But I very much recognise the culture in the sense that once people understand you can play well then the moves speak for you.
"I loved to see that in the series Beth immediately got the respect of all the seasoned chess players once they understood she could play, despite her age and lack of experience.
"That mirrors my experience as well."
The Grandmaster admits the sport "has not been that kind to women," and Beth could certainly be "a role model for women and girls who want to play chess."
"From my experience travelling around the world, I've seen that at a young age there isn't much of a difference between boys and girls. They are as fascinated and interested in chess as boys are, so hopefully, this will spark a bit of a revival," he said.
But did he actually like the show?
"I think it was very interesting both from a pure entertainment point of view," said Carlsen "and as a chess player, it made me proud that the chess was done very well and correctly in almost every way.
"So I loved it."
Continue reading here:
- Chess at the Spanish Pavilion - Chessbase News - November 27th, 2021
- 2021 FIDE World Rapid & Blitz Championship: All The Information - Chess.com - November 27th, 2021
- Lindores Abbey Blitz - Live! - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2021
- Chess: Firouzja, 18, becomes third youngest world title candidate after Carlsen and Fischer - Financial Times - November 12th, 2021
- Stockfish can crush you at chess even more efficiently in the 14.1 update - Neowin - November 1st, 2021
- Azerbaijani chess players take 11th, 13th among TOP-100 in the world - Trend News Agency - November 1st, 2021
- Monarchs and ubersprogs - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2021
- Game of the Week 484: Giri vs Carlsen - Chessbase News - October 8th, 2021
- Daniel King's Power Play Show: Tactics from the Chessable Masters and the genius of Magnus Carlsen - Chessbase News - August 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen moves forward in the Chess World Cup, but ... - July 25th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen botches win and heads for tiebreaks at chess World Cup - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen wins San Fermin Masters | ChessBase - July 25th, 2021
- Exclusive| Inspired by Magnus Carlsen, 12 year old Abhimanyu Mishra aims to be World Champion one day - Times Now - July 10th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen chess games - 365Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen | Norwegian chess player | Britannica - March 9th, 2021
- Wesley So beats Magnus Carlsen again to win Opera Euro Rapid - chess24 - February 15th, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen survives 'disgusting' blunders against Daniil Dubov - The Guardian - February 15th, 2021
- World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen On The Very Relatable Queens Gambit Scene - TheThings - January 23rd, 2021
- Magnus Carlsen only has the second most popular video series of 2020 - chess24 - January 9th, 2021
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen reaches Skilling semi-finals despite mouse slip - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Magnus Carlsens Champions Chess tour to be streamed on digital platforms, including in India - Mumbai Mirror - November 12th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen wins as Alireza Firouzja blunders in pawn endgame - The Guardian - October 16th, 2020
- P Harikrishna stuns Magnus Carlsen but later suffers four losses - The Indian Express - September 24th, 2020
- Levon Aronian defeated by Magnus Carlsen - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - September 16th, 2020
- Chess: Garry Kasparov and Magnus Carlsen draw in historic ... - September 12th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Carlsen Ties Match To Set Up Final Clash - Chess.com - August 19th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Nakamura Extends Lead, Carlsen Strikes Back - Chess.com - August 11th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals: Carlsen leads Ding in ... - August 11th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2020
- Play Magnus - Chess Training, Magnus Carlsen - June 24th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen | Top Chess Players - Chess.com - June 24th, 2020
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen announces $1m online series as ... - June 24th, 2020