Oh you can definitely learn it as a mere mortal. Nobodys born knowing how to move a knight! After watching Netflix phenomenon The Queens Gambit, I am picking the brains of Jennifer Shahade, the two-time US womens chess champ.
Im relieved by Shahades assurance that theres no need to be naturally gifted, but with Queens Gambit Beth starting at the age of nine, am I too old to learn? No way! Older learners catch onto certain things more quickly, and they appreciate the beauty of chess,says Shahade, who learnt it while most of us were still eating mash via imaginary airplanes.
With chess set sales surging by1,000 percent, Im not the only one inspired by the series. So how can I set myself apart from all the other upstarts and come across as if Im a doyenne of the chess world? If youre a total beginner playing with friends you might say check, but its rare for anyone to say that in a tournament because its unnecessary noise and its obvious anyway.
Excellent! If Beth could rake in riches after chess tutorials from janitor Mr Shaibel, just imagine the dizzy heights Ill reach learning from a Chess Olympiad silver medalist.Heres what she has to say
The Queens Gambit (Netflix)
Kids and grown-ups learn in a lot of the same ways. Repetition, for example, is valuable to both, so adults shouldnt be afraid to use kids resources. Its also fun being a kid again. Apps like ChessKid, Play Magnus, Magnus Kingdom, and ChessMatec are all great. They gamify the learning of the rules and youre forced to practice the piece movements.
With a book, you dont know if youve fully internalized what youve read, but if youre forced to move the rook 20 times in a row, you know youve got it! I play Magnus Kingdom with my son. Its like an adventure world and I would have loved it when I was a kid or if I was learning as a grown-up! It doesnt take long to learn the rules this way, and once youve got it, the practice opens up a lot.
Chess and reading is a marriage made in heaven and chess books are some of the oldest books in the world. The diagrams show you frozen positions in time, so you look at those and try to visualize them. Its like Beth Harman seeing things on the ceiling, but its easier, because its there for you.
Chess books are great because they force you to think for yourself, and the combination of pictures and words makes it fun to read. While its useful to learn the rules online, when youre a little better try books by British chess master Sabrina Chevannes, American grandmaster Yasser Seirawan and Canadian chess master Jeff Coakley.
Enjoy the tactile element of playing live with a nice wooden chess set. Escaping from your screen means you can focus on chess without checking emails. Play people about your level or better, because if youre getting checkmated in four moves every game, its boring, and neither of you will improve.
Social distancing makes this trickier, so if you have a skill differential with the person you live with, experiment with ways of evening it out so you win about 50/50.Try giving one player more time than the other.
In The Queens Gambit, they had beautiful clocks, but you can use an iPhone app thats like two stopwatches so for each move, the newer player has five minutes and the stronger player has one minute. You can also do it with the chess pieces. So if your opponent is very good, maybe they try to win without one of their rooks.
If youre both beginners, you can learn together. If a stronger player can watch, thats great because they can tell you where youre going wrong, or you can send them a photo saying: We reached this position, what do you think?
Once congregating is no longer restricted by COVID, join a chess club and go to chess events.
If you want to hire a chess coach, look on YouTube to find someone whose style you like, but who isnt too popular to have time for you. Its good to get a reference and also to check their rating on the International Chess Federation. For a beginner, a coach with a rating of 1,800-2,400 is plenty, because theyre many levels ahead of you.
A 2,600 rating might be overkill. It can be better to have a coach whos not one of the best, because they might be able to explain better. Sites such as Chess.com have directories of chess coaches. There can be good deals if you sign up for lots of lessons at once, but just start with one to see how you like it.
***Get a digital subscription toThe Spectator.Try a month free, then just $3.99 a month***
The major sites, Lichess, Chess.com and Chess24, all have sections to learn chess. Its good to play online because if you cant do something, it wont let you so you know youre playing with the right rules.
My friends who are serious chess coaches rave about the Steps Method, an intense program of getting better at chess, step by step. There are also great free videos. The Saint Louis Chess Club has lessons you can watch online and other YouTubers do the same.
Online group lessons are valuable because you can get a world class elite coach for a smaller price. Sign up with a friend and learn together, or see if you can meet a training buddy in the group. Although chess is an individual game, a lot of its social, and friends are helpful for getting better.
Dont try to memorize too much at the beginning, but do memorize the names of the squares. So if I say a squares name, eg E4 you know if its black or white. All the books and videos use this language, and it should only take 10 minutes.Do hold off for a week or two before learning about En Passant because its a confusing rule. It only comes up every few games even less, probably but once you learn it, youll understand why it needs to exist.
This article was originally published on Spectator Life.
- The Morning Watch: 'The Queen's Gambit' Chess Analysis, Stuntmen React to 'Hard Target' & More - /FILM - January 25th, 2021
- Be well prepared - with the ChessBase Magazine - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2021
- Nine Attention-Grabbing Inventions Unveiled at This Year's CES - Smithsonian Magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Canadian chess master Ross Siemms pleased with new interest in the game - Toronto Sun - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: check out the world's craziest new gaming and consumer tech - Happy Mag - January 13th, 2021
- A Black Repertoire versus the Anti-Sicilians - Chessbase News - January 13th, 2021
- 'The Last of Us' prologue easter egg discovered after seven years - NME - January 13th, 2021
- Trolling the Great Outdoors - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Good, bad, and ugly 2020 - The New Indian Express - December 29th, 2020
- DeepMind's New AI Is Able To Learn The Rules Of A Game As It Plays - Unite.AI - December 27th, 2020
- Chess captures new fans thanks to the pandemic and 'The Queen's Gambit' - CBC.ca - December 27th, 2020
- Bridgewater Man And Woman Arrested In Connection To Stabbing On Christmas Eve - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Off Their Game Week 16 - Robby Anderson - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Five Tips To Become A World Chess Champion: Vasily Smyslov's Story - Chess.com - December 27th, 2020
- 20 top TV moments of 2020: From 'Jeopardy!' to 'Tiger King' and that wild election - USA TODAY - December 26th, 2020
- The Westbridge Anand Chess Academy will train five of India's biggest talents - Chessbase News - December 23rd, 2020
- Chess sets are in-demand on LI right now - Newsday - December 23rd, 2020
- Elliot Page Was Supposed to Star in The Queens Gambit - Rare.us - December 22nd, 2020
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? video - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- From Bake Off woes to Zoom fiascos: 2020 in lists - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- KCF University Cup to be played online in February - Chessbase News - December 20th, 2020
- 2020 smartphone mega shootout: The best camera phones tested - Android Authority - December 20th, 2020
- The best websites to play chess after watching 'Queen's Gambit' | Tech | December 17, 2020 - Explica - December 17th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: The glaring flaw of 'The Queens Gambit' that no one wants to mention - National Post - December 12th, 2020
- Best of 2020: How The Queen's Gambit made its chess look real - Entertainment Weekly - December 11th, 2020
- 5 Easy Steps That You Need to Follow To Become A Micro Influencer - Vizaca.com - December 11th, 2020
- Omena, Miguna and onions most googled in 2020 - The Standard - December 11th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Financial Post - December 8th, 2020
- Inuit-designed board game Nunami hits the shelves - Nunatsiaq News - December 8th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Video creation app Firework insists it is more than a TikTok rival as it woos publishers in India - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2020
- Meghan and Harry are in hot water over The Crown and their Netflix deal - NEWS.com.au - December 3rd, 2020
- The Cord's Best of 2020 The Cord - The Cord - December 3rd, 2020
- Madonna Shared a Rare, Festive Family Portrait Ahead of the Holidays - HarpersBAZAAR.com - December 1st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' got you feeling chess? The best websites to play on - Film Daily - December 1st, 2020
- Mr Beast teases chess match with grandmaster Hikaru - Dexerto - December 1st, 2020
- The 42 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 29th, 2020
- Black Friday 2020 Live Update: A later Black Friday boost; hot holiday gifts: Legos and chess sets - CNBC - November 27th, 2020
- Chess championship: A 10-year-old Filipino takes over global stage - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- Netflix, HBO Max Battle Over 'Godzilla' Rights, Disney Plus Performs 'On Pointe' - The Streamable - November 27th, 2020
- A game-changing moment for chess - CNN Video - November 26th, 2020
- Carlsen on The Queen's Gambit: A little too unrealistic - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- Understanding before Moving 2: How to improve the activity of my pieces - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Gurgaon girl to represent India in World Youth Chess Championship - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 5) - Chessbase News - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - CNN - November 20th, 2020
- Cybercrimes can cost companies money, customers, and employees. Here's what types of cybersecurity protocols e - Business Insider India - November 18th, 2020
- Politicians are conquering the world of video games - Metro US - November 18th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 4) - Chessbase News - November 16th, 2020
- How "The Queen's Gambit" is inspiring a wave of new chess fans, especially women - Salon - November 16th, 2020
- 5 great shows to watch on Netflix this weekend - Netflix Life - November 8th, 2020
- Chess and scientific research - Chessbase News - November 6th, 2020
- Harry Melling on 'Queen's Gambit' and His Haunting Liam Neeson Team-Up - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Darrell Hammond on Sean Connery Impression: "The Single Most Successful Thing I Ever Did As a Performer" - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Win or lose, with Trump, prepare for the unimaginable after the election - CNN - November 1st, 2020
- VIDEOS - Play Chess with Friends - October 31st, 2020
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - October 31st, 2020
- Chess videos | chess24.com - October 31st, 2020
- Gillian Jacobs Talks Improvising for the First Time on Dont Think Twice - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- TikToker Abby Roberts reacts to bizarre theory shes not really British - Dexerto - October 31st, 2020
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: 'Borat 2' on Amazon Prime Video+ More - Decider - October 24th, 2020
- Premiere: Sweet Crude Reaches Their "Ultimatum" - Popdust - October 23rd, 2020
- Gordon Ramsay Sipped Ocean Spray In His Latest TikTok Tirade, Referencing The Viral 'Dreams' Video - Delish.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast on How the Netflix Drama Goes Beyond the Chess Board (VIDEO) - TV Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen beats Caruana to take the lead - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- Connected pawns on the move - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- New: Sergei Tiviakov - How to play the Ruy Lopez with Qe2 - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - StreetInsider.com - October 7th, 2020
- Woman Can't Stump Her Husband With Riddles No Matter How Hard She Tries - Distractify - October 3rd, 2020
- Unearthing Every NFL Team's Early Hidden Gem - Bleacher Report - September 30th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Teaser: Anya Taylor-Joy Is Addicted to Chess, Drugs, and More Chess - Vulture - September 28th, 2020
- 'Console Wars' Review: A Fascinating, Fundamental Chronicle of the Innovative Battle Between SEGA and Nintendo - /FILM - September 24th, 2020
- WATCH: Why Nurse-Stevens was the best chess match in NBA history - Celtics Wire - September 24th, 2020
- The shifting chessboard of international influence operations - Brookings Institution - September 24th, 2020
- Yuzvendra Chahals Dance Videos That Went Viral! - IWMBuzz - September 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best chess and checkers games for Android - Explica - September 12th, 2020
- FIDE announces that the Candidates Tournament will resume on November 1st - Chessbase News - September 11th, 2020
- George Conway Shows What's Going On In Trump's Head In Exclusive 'Unfit' Clip - HuffPost - September 11th, 2020
- Pokelawls signed as streamer to TSM - Daily Esports - September 9th, 2020