Jeff Tweedy and his two sons have found new ways to entertain their audiences all while in the comfort of their own home. The Tweedy Show was initiated by Jeffs wife, Susie, directing, commentating and live streaming her familys often nonchalant set lists over Instagramthe inaugural episode featuring Tweedy in the bathtub. The chemistry and comradery of the family has been nothing short of comforting over the past however many months. The acoustic, spontaneous renditions of Wilco classics are only an added bonus. Even those unfamiliar with Tweedys work will no doubt find joy throughout these livestreams.
Jack Black, the 51-year-old actor and comedian has taken to every social media platform he has to educate his followers, make them laugh and do elaborate game reviews. He is handling quarantine like a pro. Youtube @jablinksiGames for vlog footage, music and skits; his 4.6 million Tik Tok followers get to view his hilarious renditions on pop culture dance trends. Using comedy to promote voting, mask wearing and safety measures all while making us fall on the floor laughing from his ridiculously goofy comedy.
I love Lizzo. And ever since she graced TikTok with her presence, my life has been better because of it. Unlike other tone-deaf celebrities who, seemingly out of boredom and their own delusional separation from reality, film themselves talking about how they respect the virus, Lizzo is a breath of fresh air. Hilarious, kind and passionate about the issues facing people in todays tumultuous political climate, she uses her public platform to spread positivity, awareness and joy.
When the pandemic first hit and we were instructed to socially distance, many people began to look for new ways to occupy themselves. This South Korean whipped coffee recipe, also known as dalgona coffee, quickly became popular across TikTok in March.Its made by whipping equal portions of instant coffee powder, sugar and hot water until it begins to form stiff peaks and becomes creamy it is then added to hot or cold milk.This recipe uses ingredients that you probably already have, which is particularly convenient considering many essential ingredients have been quickly disappearing from grocery store shelves (thanks, panic-buyers). Whenever I see whipped coffee, Im instantly taken back to the Tiger King and Savage by Megan Thee Stallion days of quarantine.
Alyssa Di Sabatino
TikTok dance trends are cropping up daily, often reusing similar choreography in different combinations, but the Say So dance is one that went hugely viral at the beginning of 2020.The dance, created by TikTok user Haley Sharpe, was incorporated into Doja Cats official music video for Say So after her song was popularized by the video-sharing platform. Say So has now been listened to more than 635 million times on Spotify.This song is one of many that has gone viral thanks to TikTok. The Say So dance is probably one of the most notable TikTok dances next to Jalaiah Harmons choreography to K Camps song Lottery, also known as the Renegade dance, which went viral in late 2019.
Alyssa Di Sabatino
The newest TikTok trend is No Nuance November, where people share their hot takes on a subject, usually political in nature, without any sort of explanation. Because the person does not explain their statement, it leaves viewers to mull over the context behind the statement by themselves. The trend was launched by TikTok user Toms, who encouraged people to post a daily hot take throughout the month of November. Although No Nuance November is now over, I can see this trend continuing in some capacity as it allows people to express their opinions without feeling the need to engage in an often burdensome conversation or debate.
Alyssa Di Sabatino
Ever since the premature closure of Waterloos greatest Japanese restaurant Yummyaki, its been a tiresome period of bland mall-sushi and canned tuna. Well, the search is over. Kinkaku Izakaya, located uptown, is without a doubt the best sushi available in the region. Thankfully, they are available for takeout at a relatively reasonable price. For all the sushi lovers out there, youd be pressed to find a roll on their menu you didnt like and Kinkakus takoyaki, or fried octopus balls, are a celestial gift from the heavens above. After a long day of doing nothing, I couldnt think of a better way to induce sleep than to order from Kinkaku Izakaya.
For those with a hankering for schnitzel and heavy cheese bread, Veslo Family Restaurant isthe place to go. Prices are strikingly low for the amount of food provided and delivery times arealmost unbelievably fast. Veslos shopska salad could convince acarnivore into vegetarianismand their chevapis might just be enough to sway PETA to take a nibble. Their massiveplattersdelivered in a pizza boxare enough to feed half your block and more. The eightgallons of coleslaw alone will induce a caloric comatose. They are available for delivery throughSkip The Dishes and are well worth the price gouge.
I always have an appetite for Caribbean food but there were never too many options close to campusthat is, until Box Marley opened this summer. Located inside the Great Food Hall at the corner of University and King, Box Marley is a take-out style restaurant that specializes in Caribbean cuisine, with vegan options as well. The portions have become more generous since they first opened and everything is priced pretty affordably. Food is prepared and packaged with a quick turnaround time so that you dont have to stick around the store too long, making it a COVID-19 friendly take-out option. They have an online ordering system through their website and they also offer free delivery if you call their number, making it all the more convenient.
Alyssa Di Sabatino
No one on the entire planet makes me laugh more than the Impractical Jokers. What is best described as a reverse prank show, Impractical Jokers can be caught on both Netflix or binged on YouTube. Four friends from Staten IslandJoe, Sal, Q and Murrare sent throughout New York City with the sole, often successful task of embarrassing the hell out of each other. Whether its Sals reluctant tattoo of Jaden Smith or Murr having all the hair on his head shaved before taking a new drivers license photo, every episode of this show will leave you gasping for air, cackling at their sheer willingness and dedication to entertain.
Season four of the acclaimed Netflix series The Crown tackles the beginning and subsequent breakdown of the highly-publicized marriage between Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana. And boy, is it worth the watch. While it can be viewed as a standalone in the series, I highly recommend watching the previous seasons, especially if you have any interest in the British monarchy. This season successfully cultivated a newfound love for Princess Diana and a hatred for Prince Charles, particularly amongst Gen-Z audiencesand rightfully so. The Crown does an excellent job of introducing such prolific public figures to a younger generation of viewers. Its clear from the countless TikTok videos Ive seen about it that the hype is pretty widespread and justified. It also features the brilliant Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher, which is an added bonus to an already wonderful cast.
One of Netflixs latest releases, The Queens Gambit, has received high accolades from viewers. Set in the 1950s and 60s, the story follows Beth, an orphaned chess prodigy, on her journey to become the greatest chess player, while she also struggles with emotional problems and substance dependency. Beth is played by Anya Taylor-Joy, who is also known for her roles in Split and Peaky Blinders. Admittedly, a show about chess does sound a little boring, but since its release in late October the show has become Netflixs most-watched scripted miniseries. Its even credited with causing a surging interest in chess luckily you dont have to understand chess to watch the show.
Alyssa Di Sabatino
Making their debut back to the music scene after 14 years with a changed name and an agenda for vengeance, Gaslighter by The Chicksformerly The Dixie Chicksranks as one of the best albums released in 2020. The album contains 12 up-beat songs that weave into a powerful story told by the three artists about gender relations and politics. According to Time Magazine, who ranked the album number four in their Top 10 Albums of 2020 List, the album title itself is a nod to sexism in the political and private spheres of the 21st century. One of the best songs on the album is Julianna Calm Down, which starts soft and slow but progressively becomes more lively and fast-paced in a calling to women to feel confident, fearless and powerful amidst solidarity. Including all individuals from around the globe, never-more has this message been so important than in times like these.
After keeping fans waiting for almost two years, Lil Uzi Vert dropped his long-awaited album Eternal Atake in March 2020.The albumwhich has largely been received as worth the waitis split into three parts, representing Uzis three personas: Baby Pluto, Renji and Lil Uzi Vert. The album espouses Uzis familiar sound while taking listeners on an alien experience, following Uzi as he is abducted by aliens and travels through space.All in all, this album has lived up to the hype. Every song is fast-paced, futuristic and cohesive: favourite tracks are Silly Watch and Homecoming.
Alyssa Di Sabatino
While I spent the majority of my time during lockdown eating sleeves of Oreos and binging too many Netflix shows, Taylor Swift created an absolutely stunning album that quickly became my personal favourite of hers. Without a doubt, I think Folklore is one of Swifts strongest albums overall and the writing is where her talent truly shines through. Each song is beautiful, vivid and effortlessly captures a different story (Im looking at you, The Last Great American Dynasty). A satisfying blend of romanticism and escapism, Folklore is a shift into something unique, especially for Swift. Even if youre not a fan of her other music, I highly recommend giving this album a chance.
- Be well prepared - with the ChessBase Magazine - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2021
- Nine Attention-Grabbing Inventions Unveiled at This Year's CES - Smithsonian Magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Canadian chess master Ross Siemms pleased with new interest in the game - Toronto Sun - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: check out the world's craziest new gaming and consumer tech - Happy Mag - January 13th, 2021
- A Black Repertoire versus the Anti-Sicilians - Chessbase News - January 13th, 2021
- 'The Last of Us' prologue easter egg discovered after seven years - NME - January 13th, 2021
- Trolling the Great Outdoors - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Good, bad, and ugly 2020 - The New Indian Express - December 29th, 2020
- DeepMind's New AI Is Able To Learn The Rules Of A Game As It Plays - Unite.AI - December 27th, 2020
- Chess captures new fans thanks to the pandemic and 'The Queen's Gambit' - CBC.ca - December 27th, 2020
- Bridgewater Man And Woman Arrested In Connection To Stabbing On Christmas Eve - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Off Their Game Week 16 - Robby Anderson - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Five Tips To Become A World Chess Champion: Vasily Smyslov's Story - Chess.com - December 27th, 2020
- 20 top TV moments of 2020: From 'Jeopardy!' to 'Tiger King' and that wild election - USA TODAY - December 26th, 2020
- The Westbridge Anand Chess Academy will train five of India's biggest talents - Chessbase News - December 23rd, 2020
- Chess sets are in-demand on LI right now - Newsday - December 23rd, 2020
- Elliot Page Was Supposed to Star in The Queens Gambit - Rare.us - December 22nd, 2020
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? video - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- From Bake Off woes to Zoom fiascos: 2020 in lists - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- KCF University Cup to be played online in February - Chessbase News - December 20th, 2020
- 2020 smartphone mega shootout: The best camera phones tested - Android Authority - December 20th, 2020
- The best websites to play chess after watching 'Queen's Gambit' | Tech | December 17, 2020 - Explica - December 17th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: The glaring flaw of 'The Queens Gambit' that no one wants to mention - National Post - December 12th, 2020
- Best of 2020: How The Queen's Gambit made its chess look real - Entertainment Weekly - December 11th, 2020
- 5 Easy Steps That You Need to Follow To Become A Micro Influencer - Vizaca.com - December 11th, 2020
- Omena, Miguna and onions most googled in 2020 - The Standard - December 11th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Financial Post - December 8th, 2020
- Inuit-designed board game Nunami hits the shelves - Nunatsiaq News - December 8th, 2020
- How to play chess like Beth from The Queen's Gambit - The Spectator US - December 5th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Video creation app Firework insists it is more than a TikTok rival as it woos publishers in India - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2020
- Meghan and Harry are in hot water over The Crown and their Netflix deal - NEWS.com.au - December 3rd, 2020
- Madonna Shared a Rare, Festive Family Portrait Ahead of the Holidays - HarpersBAZAAR.com - December 1st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' got you feeling chess? The best websites to play on - Film Daily - December 1st, 2020
- Mr Beast teases chess match with grandmaster Hikaru - Dexerto - December 1st, 2020
- The 42 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 29th, 2020
- Black Friday 2020 Live Update: A later Black Friday boost; hot holiday gifts: Legos and chess sets - CNBC - November 27th, 2020
- Chess championship: A 10-year-old Filipino takes over global stage - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- Netflix, HBO Max Battle Over 'Godzilla' Rights, Disney Plus Performs 'On Pointe' - The Streamable - November 27th, 2020
- A game-changing moment for chess - CNN Video - November 26th, 2020
- Carlsen on The Queen's Gambit: A little too unrealistic - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- Understanding before Moving 2: How to improve the activity of my pieces - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Gurgaon girl to represent India in World Youth Chess Championship - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 5) - Chessbase News - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - CNN - November 20th, 2020
- Cybercrimes can cost companies money, customers, and employees. Here's what types of cybersecurity protocols e - Business Insider India - November 18th, 2020
- Politicians are conquering the world of video games - Metro US - November 18th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 4) - Chessbase News - November 16th, 2020
- How "The Queen's Gambit" is inspiring a wave of new chess fans, especially women - Salon - November 16th, 2020
- 5 great shows to watch on Netflix this weekend - Netflix Life - November 8th, 2020
- Chess and scientific research - Chessbase News - November 6th, 2020
- Harry Melling on 'Queen's Gambit' and His Haunting Liam Neeson Team-Up - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Darrell Hammond on Sean Connery Impression: "The Single Most Successful Thing I Ever Did As a Performer" - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Win or lose, with Trump, prepare for the unimaginable after the election - CNN - November 1st, 2020
- VIDEOS - Play Chess with Friends - October 31st, 2020
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - October 31st, 2020
- Chess videos | chess24.com - October 31st, 2020
- Gillian Jacobs Talks Improvising for the First Time on Dont Think Twice - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- TikToker Abby Roberts reacts to bizarre theory shes not really British - Dexerto - October 31st, 2020
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: 'Borat 2' on Amazon Prime Video+ More - Decider - October 24th, 2020
- Premiere: Sweet Crude Reaches Their "Ultimatum" - Popdust - October 23rd, 2020
- Gordon Ramsay Sipped Ocean Spray In His Latest TikTok Tirade, Referencing The Viral 'Dreams' Video - Delish.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast on How the Netflix Drama Goes Beyond the Chess Board (VIDEO) - TV Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen beats Caruana to take the lead - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- Connected pawns on the move - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- New: Sergei Tiviakov - How to play the Ruy Lopez with Qe2 - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - StreetInsider.com - October 7th, 2020
- Woman Can't Stump Her Husband With Riddles No Matter How Hard She Tries - Distractify - October 3rd, 2020
- Unearthing Every NFL Team's Early Hidden Gem - Bleacher Report - September 30th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Teaser: Anya Taylor-Joy Is Addicted to Chess, Drugs, and More Chess - Vulture - September 28th, 2020
- 'Console Wars' Review: A Fascinating, Fundamental Chronicle of the Innovative Battle Between SEGA and Nintendo - /FILM - September 24th, 2020
- WATCH: Why Nurse-Stevens was the best chess match in NBA history - Celtics Wire - September 24th, 2020
- The shifting chessboard of international influence operations - Brookings Institution - September 24th, 2020
- Yuzvendra Chahals Dance Videos That Went Viral! - IWMBuzz - September 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best chess and checkers games for Android - Explica - September 12th, 2020
- FIDE announces that the Candidates Tournament will resume on November 1st - Chessbase News - September 11th, 2020
- George Conway Shows What's Going On In Trump's Head In Exclusive 'Unfit' Clip - HuffPost - September 11th, 2020
- Pokelawls signed as streamer to TSM - Daily Esports - September 9th, 2020
- 30 fun ways to stay connected through video calls - Bryan-College Station Eagle - September 7th, 2020