At the mention of the game of chess, many people will immediately think of great players such as Garry Kasparov or current Netflix hit series The Queens Gambit.
The 1993 film, Searching for Bobby Fischer, about young chess champion Josh Waitzkin, also comes to mind. In the film, 7-year-old Waitzkin gets noticed for his mastery of the game and is eventually put on course to train to play with the prowess of Bobby Fischer.
Its a true story and ultimately, Waitzkin dropped chess. Heres why, and what hes doing today.
The film Searching For Bobby Fischer is the story of Fred and Bonnie Waitzkin (portrayed in the film by Joe Mantegna and Joan Allen), parents to chess prodigy Josh Waitzkin played by Max Pomeranc. It was based on Freds 1988 memoir, Searching for Bobby Fischer: A Fathers Story of Love and Ambition.
The Waitzkin family sacrificed and made necessary changes to their lives to enable Josh to pursue his love and clear skill for chess as far as it would take him (thus, the title of the book and film). The question throughout the film was, is it Joshs dream? Or his fathers?
RELATED: Is The Queens Gambit Based on a True Story?
Fred Waitzkin, answered that question in a 2013 conversation with Scientific American.
Josh was the complete package, Fred said. He had a passion to play the game. It was what he wanted to do. He didnt need to be forced to play after school games in the park. He was a great competitor.
As much as Josh didnt need to be talked into competing, Fred clarified, it was still up to him and his wife to help their son remain disciplined.
On the other hand a little kid needs to be brought to great teachers, needs to be brought to tournaments or to piano recitals or to ice skating lessons, he said. He or she needs to be reminded to study or practice. A little kid cant do it by himself. I think we were a great team of three. We loved our lives in the chess wars. I still cant believe it is long in the past.
Waitzkin stopped competing in chess tournaments in the late 1990s and turned his attention to the area of martial arts. In fact, he co-founded MGInAction.com and The Marcelo Garcia Academy, a New York City-based Brazilian jiu-jitsu school.
The author of The Art of Learning spoke in 2007 with NPR about his decision to leave chess and what hes discovered about himself since then.
What I love from chess, about chess, was that pure, pure relationship to the game, he said. When I went into the martial arts, I moved away from a purely ambitious relationship with chess, which was what I had in the last couple of years of competition in the game, I returned to my love for the game again as this channel for internal growth.
I have no disappointment. I had wonderful times in chess, and I still learn from it every day.
- 10 Best Chess Sets of 2021 for Beginners and Experts - GoodHousekeeping.com - January 15th, 2021
- Art and Chess Combine at the World Chess Hall of Fames Incredible Keith Haring Exhibit - Travel+Leisure - January 15th, 2021
- Redding Park and Recreation: Art Classes, Karate and Chess - HamletHub - January 15th, 2021
- This week's Hearthstone Tavern Brawl is A Less Friendly Game of Chess - Dot Esports - January 15th, 2021
- Chess Is Cool Now Thanks to Netflix, Heres How to Not Look Like a Fool Playing - Mandatory - January 15th, 2021
- 5 Saints who loved the game of chess - Aleteia EN - January 15th, 2021
- PET OF THE WEEK: Chess Powered By Jackson & Sons - Goldsboro Daily News - January 15th, 2021
- BotezLive To Host BlockChamps: Pokimane, LilyPichu, GeorgeNotFound Participating - Chess.com - January 13th, 2021
- PogChamps $100,000 Chess tournament to begin from 14th February featuring Pokimane, Mr Beast, and more - Sportskeeda - January 13th, 2021
- Zugzwecklos: When you have chess moves, but it doesn't matter - Washington Times - January 13th, 2021
- How this 34-year-old chess champion became Indias youngest new billionaire - CNBC - January 13th, 2021
- Learn the game in MCCL'S beginning chess classes - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - January 13th, 2021
- Marty Mornhinweg: "It's Going to Be a Chess Match Between the Ravens Defense and Bills Offense." - RADIO.COM - January 13th, 2021
- How this Ontario womans online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - Yahoo News Canada - January 13th, 2021
- What The...: Saving the world, one move at a time - theday.com - January 13th, 2021
- CHESS Health Expands Executive Team with Vice President of Clinical Performance - PR Web - January 13th, 2021
- Viswanathan Anand agrees to be on AICF's Advisory Board - Sportstar - January 9th, 2021
- Q&A: 1st District Candidate Aaron Chess on Why He Walked Away from Democratic Party - WGLT News - January 9th, 2021
- Phish 'Dinner And A Rematch' Stream Companion: 12/31/95 & Chess Grudge Match [Watch] - Live for Live Music - January 6th, 2021
- How to Teach Your Kid to Play Chess - Lifehacker - January 6th, 2021
- Rubik's Cube Movie in the Works After Major Chess Success - Interesting Engineering - January 6th, 2021
- Phish Defeat Audience in Chess During 'Dinner and a Rematch' NYE Broadcast - Relix - January 4th, 2021
- First glimpse of Yeleti and Nithiins Check - The Hindu - January 4th, 2021
- The best chess player is an intuitive artist - Stabroek News - January 4th, 2021
- Chess in general is rising in popularity, and now through another avenue - WZDX - January 4th, 2021
- Check teaser: Nithin as a prisoner and chess player - Telugu Cinema - January 4th, 2021
- Pittsburgh chess champ Ashley Priore in Ms Magazine: Here's what The Queen's Gambit got wrong - NEXTpittsburgh - January 4th, 2021
- Long Island chess collection is more than a gambit - Newsday - January 4th, 2021
- Despite Negative Toll Netflixs The Queen's Gambit Has Taken On Chess, There's A Positive As Well - CinemaBlend - December 31st, 2020
- Chess.com Puzzle Week 2021: All The Information - Chess.com - December 31st, 2020
- Stress, chess and mounting dread: how 2020 was the year of anxie-TV - The Guardian - December 31st, 2020
- Meet Ryan Mecham, the 7-year-old Houston chess prodigy - Chron - December 31st, 2020
- Rocky chess whiz takes on 49 players in Spanish contest - Morning Bulletin - December 29th, 2020
- The Attacking Set-Up That Always Wins - Chess.com - December 29th, 2020
- 'Queen's Gambit' Co-Creator Scott Frank Wanted To Explore The 'Cost Of Genius' - NPR - December 29th, 2020
- Chess, STEM, Fashion, and Writing Workshops on Tap at Union Recreation Department - TAPinto.net - December 29th, 2020
- Phish Revisit MSG New Year Eve Show & Demand Chess Rematch For 'Dinner and A Movie' - Glide Magazine - December 27th, 2020
- Shes a Chess Champion Who Can Barely See the Board - The New York Times - December 26th, 2020
- Beth Harmon, the isoLanni? - Chess.com - December 26th, 2020
- Mastering Atari, Go, chess and shogi by planning with a learned model - Nature.com - December 26th, 2020
- Waimea resident is Hawaii's Chess Player of the Year - The Garden Island - December 26th, 2020
- Checkmate and Maybe Hypothermia - 9 & 10 News - 9&10 News - December 26th, 2020
- Vishy Anand fears Classical chess could go the Test cricket way; talks about upcoming film on him - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2020
- 2020: The year of a pandemic of cheating in online chess - Livemint - December 26th, 2020
- Chess gains popularity on Long Island due to the pandemic, and Netflix - Newsday - December 26th, 2020
- India win 3 gold, 1 bronze in World Cadets and Youth Rapid Chess Cships - The Bridge - December 23rd, 2020
- Alexandra Botez and Andrea Botez Sign With Team Envy - TalkEsport - December 23rd, 2020
- 2 Canadian men play game of chess while submerged in icy lake - WFLA - December 22nd, 2020
- Oli has played a chess move to save his position; impact on Nepal to be seen - Economic Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Buffalo chess detective busier than ever with online cheating on the rise - WGRZ.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Jonah Hill Once Compared Martin Scorsese's Directing Style To Playing Chess With a Clock - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 22nd, 2020
- Holiday Bots: 'Tis The Season Of Chess! - Chess.com - December 20th, 2020
- Great minds: 10 players who excel at both chess and poker - chess24 - December 20th, 2020
- All The Information: Chess.com Bullet Open Championship - Chess.com - December 20th, 2020
- Gamesmanship and hypnosis in chess - TheArticle - December 20th, 2020
- QC board games and chess club keeps students in touch - The Knight News - December 20th, 2020
- St. Louis' World Chess Hall of Fame Hosting Massive Keith Haring Exhibit - Riverfront Times - December 20th, 2020
- Chess Corner: Dont go to the dance - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - December 18th, 2020
- The Fascinating History of Chess and How 'the Queen's Gambit' Sparked the Once Banned Game - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 18th, 2020
- The FBI is investigating an anti-Semitic hack that left a Jewish school's website overrun with Holocaust refer - Business Insider India - December 17th, 2020
- Play chess against the computer from Level 1 to Master - December 16th, 2020
- Marine Infantry Training Shifts From 'Automaton' to Thinkers, as School Adds Chess to the Curriculum - USNI News - December 16th, 2020
- Play Chess Online in Realtime. Meet People Across the Globe - December 15th, 2020
- Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2021 - December 15th, 2020
- Auto Chess - Epic Games Store - December 15th, 2020
- Wizard's Chess | Harry Potter Wiki | Fandom - December 15th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Set To Debut At The Concert Hall, QPAC In June 2021 - Broadway World - December 15th, 2020
- Chess on the App Store - December 15th, 2020
- Chess is King During Pandemic, Including Here in Montgomery County - Montgomery Community Media - December 13th, 2020
- Chess.com sees cheating all-time high after 'Queen's Gambit' surge - Business Insider - Business Insider - December 13th, 2020
- CHESSs breakfast with Santa drive-thru - WKRG News 5 - December 13th, 2020
- Guyana should be aiming to produce a grandmaster - Stabroek News - December 13th, 2020
- I was a female chess champ, too and still love the game - The Globe and Mail - December 13th, 2020
- Poll list boost for president's camp in All India Chess Federation battle - The New Indian Express - December 13th, 2020
- Irving's trying to play chess while ignoring useful pieces - The Athletic - December 12th, 2020
- Chess generations - Are you ready for the future of chess? - Eurosport COM - December 12th, 2020
- Patriots Game Plan: Dissecting the Chess Match Between Bill Belichick and Sean McVay - CLNS Media - December 12th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit and the next big thing in chess - New Zealand Herald - December 12th, 2020
- 'Chess game has started' - Man United player 'wouldn't be disappointed' to move to another club to 'meet his friend' - Sport Witness - December 12th, 2020
- Nakamura gets birthday Speed Chess revenge on So - chess24 - December 11th, 2020