When compared to the Netflix-fable "The Queen's Gambit", chess in the 1960s was a fairly disappointing affair. No fancy clothes, no glamorous tournament locations, not a single woman in sight who could best the world's finest, just rampant sexism. However, the fictional character of Beth Harmon being literally besieged by fans during her voyage to the Soviet Union is fairly realistic.
In the Netflix show, a reporter mentions the name NonaGaprindashvili and claims that sheplays against women only. But the real NonaGaprindashvili did indeed play against men. After all, she greatly surpassed all female players of her generation. And the ambitious Georgian was eager to earnthe title of Grandmaster, a feat which she eventually was the first woman to achieve. WhenGaprindashvili came back to Tiflis after winning the Women's World Championship in 1962, there were hundreds of excited compatriots waiting for her at the train station. Someone held up a sign bearing the inscription which would later serve as title for the documentary.
This kind of archival footage is featured heavily in "Glory to the Queen". After all, the glory days of Georgian womens' chess dates back a few decades. It's greatest moment was the Chess Olympiad 1982 in Lucerne, where NonaGaprindashvili, Maia Chiburdanidze, Nona Alexandria and Nino Ioseliani won gold for the Soviet Union.
For her movie,Tatia Shkirtladze decided to get the four of them together and in front of the camera. "The Encounter" served as aworking title for the project. Eventually, it became "Glory to the Queen", a nod to the strongest piece on the board, as well as the only female one. Why it had to be women from Georgia - a country, in which men like to push themselves to the front all the time, unless there is work involved - who managed to get this far in the world of chessis not explicitly addressed in the movie. However, those who have seen it will understandthat it was Nona Gaprindashvili who paved the way for all of them. She is the mother of Georgian chess and full of energy to this very day. While the other three have long since retired fromtournament chess, she is the only one who is still an active player. This is in spite of her being the oldest of them. In March, she will be celebrating her eightieth birthday.
I first heard of the movie project at the Chess Olympiad 2018 in Batumi.A few weeks later, I metTatia Shkirtladze during the World Championship match between Carlsen and Caruana in London, where the first thing she did after entering the press room was to immediately occupy two of the already limited seats, whiledaily correspondents such as Ihad to periodically switchtheir places. Our second meeting at a cafin Vienna was more relaxed.
Tatia, who had moved to Vienna to study, is actually an artist. And she is just likeNona Gaprindashvili - that is, tenacious. Once she has her mind set on something, she always goes through with it. Why was there no movie about these magnificent womenwhomshe had already heardaboutasa little girl? If nobody else would do it, then it was up to her.
She managed to win overKarin Berghammerfor the project, a movie producer who in turn ensured financial support from a grand total of four Austrian and two European movie funds and also establisheda Serbian co-production company. Georgian director and producerAna Khazaradze joined the team later. This way, the fact that Tatia did not have a background in filmmaking or a lot of experience in the field becameirrelevant.
Part of the movie was filmed at the Rathaus Open in Vienna,with chess historian Michael Ehn servingas a consultant. Belgrade contributed an interview with Grandmaster and chess journalist Milunka Lazarevic, conducted shortly before her death in autumn of 2018. The then 85 year old appears a number of times in front ofa dark background, smoking and providing additional context. Most of the movie was, of course, filmed in Georgia.
Over the couse of filming I got the chance to visit Tiflis, as it was on the way to a conference about scholastic chess in Armenia which I had plannedto attend. There, I saw the film crew meetNona Gaprindashvili at the Chess Palace, which bears her name and houses the office of the chess federation as well as tournament rooms, studying facilitieswith computers and a library. In this building, which had previously been known as the Pioneers' Palace, the camera and I got to witness Nona Alexandria staging an award ceremony with boys and girls dressed in chess themed costumes.
What a contrast! Nona the first, serious and deliberate, and Nona the second, smiling and always in motion. Let us call her that, even if Maia Tschiburdanidze, who was practically still a teenager at the time, managed to snatch away Nona's title of World Champion in 1978. Upon showingNona Alexandria's tears, aSoviet television host phrased his response as if he were trying to console her directly: "Nitshewo, nitshewo! After all, the most important thing is that the title of World Champion remains in the Soviet Union, in the Soviet Republic of Georgia."
Their trainers, which includeVakhtang Karseladze, whose name has almost been forgotten outside of Georgia, as well as Eduard Gufeld, do not appear in the movie, and neither do the Polgar-Sisters. After all, a direct confrontation never took place. When the Polgars won the Chess Olympiad 1988 and beat the Soviet team, which back then was used to winning almost all events in which it started, the only one left in the race had beenChiburdanidze.
Sequences from "Glory to the Queen" were first shown at the last London Chess Conference in December of 2019, very much in line with our theme of "Chess and Female Empowerment". At the time, Tatia was about to have her first child, which is why she had asked a friend living in London to present the movie and answer questions.
The final cut had just been completed in spring when Covid-19 threw allfestival plansinto disarray. "Glory to the Queen" later saw itspremiere at the movie festival in Tiflis, with itsfour protagonists among the audience.
The movie was even shown a second time as the festival's closing film. In October, it was featured at CinEast in Luxembourg and in November at the Serbian festival Slobodna Zone, where it has now been awarded the audience prize.
- Translation by Hugo B. Janz
The rest is here:
- Like in chess, protecting the King key for No. 6 Aggies in season opener - TexAgs - September 4th, 2021
- Trinidad and Tobago fail to advance to Online Chess Olympiad Division II - TT Newsday - September 4th, 2021
- If You'd Like to Learn How to Play Chess May I Suggest Doing It With a T-Rex via The Noble Collection's Jurassic Park Set? - The Mary Sue - August 23rd, 2021
- Ending years of feud, AICF and Chess Association of India announce merger - The Indian Express - August 23rd, 2021
- The 8 Best Movie-Themed Chess Sets to Buy Online - IndieWire - August 23rd, 2021
- Chess May be Banned in Afghanistan - World Chess - August 23rd, 2021
- Coach Of The Month: IM Kostya Kavutskiy - Chess.com - August 23rd, 2021
- The Guildford Chess Club celebrates its 125th anniversary! - Chessbase News - August 23rd, 2021
- Chess, PHILSPADA athletes to be honored in 27th SKC awards - Mindanao Times - August 23rd, 2021
- Harshit Raja, Indias 69th Chess Grandmaster - Gulte - August 9th, 2021
- Nas enjoys a game of chess in Rare visual - REVOLT TV - August 9th, 2021
- Star Trek 3D chess and more out-of-this-world ways to celebrate International Chess Day - ZDNet - July 25th, 2021
- How the game of Chess has helped mold Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux - NBC Sports - July 25th, 2021
- Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand Goes Down To Anish Giri In Croatia Grand Chess Tour - Outlook India - July 10th, 2021
- The Real Queens Gambit: Ashley Priores Nonprofit Aims To Give Women An Edge In The Male-Dominated World Of Chess - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Of Anand, simultaneous chess and the cheating controversy - The Hindu - June 28th, 2021
- Chess in The Parks held at Myrtle Park in Indian Orchard - WWLP.com - June 28th, 2021
- The Londoner Inviting a Guy Over to Play Chess - The Cut - June 28th, 2021
- Carol Jarecki: From chess mom to one of the game's greatest referees - Washington Times - June 28th, 2021
- NBA Playoffs 2021: The chess match between Trae Young and the Milwaukee Bucks' defence is only beginning - NBA CA - June 28th, 2021
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021