Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo
Heading into a game where neither manager can afford to lose, there was an expectation that bosses would become snappy, irritant and thus ready to turn on their opposite number.
The front pages in Italy and Spain would have fanned the flames of discontent as Inter Milan welcome Real Madrid to the San Siro on Wednesday. They would have feasted on a fractured relationship between friends-turned-foes.
Alas, headline writers were left with both Zinedine Zidane and Antonio Conte showering their opposite number in praise. These old friends have shown a relationship that, more than two decades on since they shared the Juventus midfield, is stronger than ever.
A 'real leader', Zidane said.
An 'exceptional man,' Conte offered by way of response.
There have been rom-coms with less fluttering of the eyes.
And yet it speaks to the bond they forged in the Juventus dressing room together. A brotherhood established. A mutual respect that would never fade.
In five seasons spent together in Turin the pair went on to win Serie A twice and went to two Champions Leagues finals, losing to Borussia Dortmund in 1996-97 and Real Madrid in 1997-98.
Zidane and Conte were the engine room in Serie A when it was the finest league in the world, hoarding the best talent and its sides dominant forces in Europe.
Clubs: Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta, Siena, Juventus, Italy, Chelsea, Inter Milan
3 x Serie A title
2 x Italian Super Cup
1 x Serie B title
1 x Premier League
1 x FA Cup
Clubs: Real Madrid Castilla, Real Madrid
3 x Champions League
2 x LaLiga title
2 x Spanish Super Cup
2 x FIFA Club World Cup
2 x UEFA Super Cup
It seems strange to believe now given his excellency throughout his career but Zidane arrived in Italy to great scepticism; doubters were vocal and a shaky start did not help.
Arriving from Bordeaux for 3million to join forces with Conte and Didier Deschamps in the midfield, it was Conte who took him under his wing. In no time he went from a diamond in the rough to shining brighter than all around him.
'He was my captain, a real leader on the field,' Zidane explained this week. 'I always had a good rapport with Antonio and I still do.'
Conte is a proud man, fiercely loyal to his players and staff and that extended to his team-mates.
Dropping to the bench for the 1997-98 final against Madrid, Conte knew good friend Zidane had the keys to the midfield now. He may not have realised it then but he was coaching before he became a coach.
Video: Lampard not worried about Werner misses after Rennes win (Daily Mail)
Lampard not worried about Werner misses after Rennes win
Click to expand
'I didn't have the talent of Zinedine Zidane or Roberto Baggio as a player, and I played with both,' Conte said in an interview several years ago.
'Even when they were surrounded, they could break through or create interesting situations with the ball.'
'Zidane is an exceptional great man, with whom I've a great relationship,' he added ahead of Inter's first game against Real Madrid this season. Both men have enjoyed their journey back in time to that period of great success under Marcelo Lippi.
They were yin and yang, very different personalities but drawn together through a sheer determination to win.
Lippi harnessed it, allowed both to co-exist with Deschamps while maximising their potential, particularly Zidane, often deployed in a more advanced role in a midfield three.
Now they coach, trying to impart nuggets of wisdom from those days with Juventus while also instilling that same winning mentality.
'As technicians, they reflect their 'footballer selves',' Lippi told Gazzetta dello Sport earlier this month.
'Zizou had a great ability: he communicated without speaking much. A gesture was enough. It seems to me it's the same on the bench.
'Antonio was generous and gave everything in every situation. Even in training. If someone tried to 'relax', he was the first to shout: "Hey, here we all run".'
And Lippi's assessment has been echoed by players of today who have been fortunate enough to work under both.
Alvaro Morata and Eden Hazard worked with Conte at Chelsea, where he went on to win the Premier League title, and with Zidane in Madrid.
Without conferring, both stood up Lippi's hypothesis of strikingly different approaches to coaching, much as it was different as players.
Morata talks about Conte being 'much more tactical' and more obsessed with 'control'. When it comes to assessing Zidane, Hazard simply responded that it 'is more fun' under the Frenchman, more relaxed, more freedom to be expressive.
It speaks to mantras as players. Conte, anchoring Juventus's midfield alongside Deschamps was all for security, being defensively sound.
Zidane was all about flair. It's like a ballerina and a lumberjack somehow finding common ground to achieve success. There was method to the madness under Lippi and the trophies show it.
Now they coach and while there were smiles during their pre-match hug, a warm embrace only old friends seem to produce, neither man can afford a defeat as damaging as one would be on Wednesday night.
'For us it represents a final,' Conte said, 'After the defeat in Madrid and the two previous draws there are not many solutions.'
He's right, too.
Inter are propping up Group B, two points from three games. Last season's Europa League finalists being schooled in a group they were confident of emerging from when the draw was made in Nyon months back.
Romelu Lukaku scored in the 90th minute to rescue a point against Borussia Monchengladbach while it was an exhausting watch in Ukraine as they drew 0-0 with Shakhtar Donetsk.
Then they went to Madrid, up against Zidane, an 11 v 11 chess game that Zidane's side narrowly edged. No Lukaku was costly for Inter; he'll be involved this time round.
Real Madrid will be without talisman Sergio Ramos, maybe Karim Benzema too, but Conte's warning ahead of the first leg still rings true. Whoever steps out under Zidane will be no pushover, that's not the man he came to know in Turin.
'There's no team like Real Madrid. It's not a walk. We'll go out to suffer,' Conte said before their last encounter. 'We're prepared. We are not going to get into a corner to receive blows. We are going to face them without fear, as always.'
While it will be friends reunited back in Italy, stirring up fond memories of Juventus Class of '97, both know this is a game neither can afford to lose.
Here is the original post:
- Dancing, vacuuming, learning: What's next for robots and their creators? - ASU Now - January 23rd, 2021
- Signature Theatre announces cast and dates for 'Simply Sondheim' review - DC Metro Theater Arts - January 23rd, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', 'Shadow Gangs', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 15th, 2021
- Their Uniforms Say Ohio State and Alabama. The Players Are From Everywhere. - The Wall Street Journal - January 13th, 2021
- Ziggurat Interactive Releases First Retro First Friday Pack Of 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 9th, 2021
- TV tonight: another day in paradise for detective Ralf Little - The Guardian - January 9th, 2021
- The Board Games Global Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 13% Between 2021 to 2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- 50 Best TV Shows To Watch In 2021 - Highest Rated Television Series - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - December 29th, 2020
- Red Bull think they have secret weapon to catch Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas | F1 | Sport - TechnoCodex - December 23rd, 2020
- HBO's Industry creators and Myha'la Herrold break down season 1 finale - Entertainment Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Research at Microsoft 2020: Addressing the present while looking to the future - Microsoft - December 22nd, 2020
- Deals of the Week, December 11 to 18 Growth Business roundup - GrowthBusiness.co.uk - December 18th, 2020
- Turns Out Its Pretty Good: Doomscrolling - The Cut - December 18th, 2020
- A Letter to My Kids - The Good Men Project - December 15th, 2020
- Yakuza Remastered Collection On The Way For Xbox & PC - Bleeding Cool News - December 13th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Gets A New Trailer Showing Off The Features - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- Reflections on 40 years: thanks for the memories (we can remember) - NOLA.com - December 9th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum - Tom's Hardware - December 8th, 2020
- AI has almost solved one of biologys greatest challenges how protein unfolds - ThePrint - December 8th, 2020
- Demis Hassabis interview: the kid from the comp who founded DeepMind and cracked a mighty riddle of science - The Times - December 6th, 2020
- Online Chess and Working from Home - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- Full Fischer film in YouTube - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- New C360 CEO Howard Wright Sees Broadcast Tech Putting Fans on the Field of Play - Sports Video Group - December 5th, 2020
- This is what would happen if a Hind took on a Cobra - We Are The Mighty - December 5th, 2020
- Hyundai Takes The Wraps Off Its E-GMP Electric Car Platform - CleanTechnica - December 3rd, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons to Rent an RV when you traveling - The Dubrovnik Times - December 3rd, 2020
- Akron flashback: Some childhood toys you never forget - Akron Beacon Journal - December 1st, 2020
- 24 Comments on GM is Paying Cadillac Dealers to Ditch the Brand... - The Truth About Cars - November 29th, 2020
- Skilling Open QF2: Day of the Comebacks - chess24 - November 27th, 2020
- Jelurida Announces Bridge Champ, an On-Chain Version of the Famous Card Game - IT News Online - November 27th, 2020
- The 37 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 27th, 2020
- The Joylessness of Cooking - The New Yorker - November 27th, 2020
- The Big Bang Theory: 10 Hidden Details About Penny That Everyone Missed - Screen Rant - November 26th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Reveals A New Location With Chongqing, China - Bleeding Cool News - November 25th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review: The Mainstream Knockout - Tom's Hardware - November 24th, 2020
- What's Next In AI, Chips And Masks - SemiEngineering - November 20th, 2020
- NFL Week 11: Picks and preview - Yardbarker - November 20th, 2020
- 2020 NBA Draft: Sam Vecenie's likes and dislikes - The Athletic - November 20th, 2020
- We have free android games and apps Birmingham Alive - Birmingham Alive - November 18th, 2020
- Remembering When the Memories Are No Longer Our Own - War on the Rocks - November 12th, 2020
- How To Learn Chess By Yourself: Best Apps And More - Goosed.ie - November 10th, 2020
- So Beats Abdusattorov In Speed Chess Match - Chess.com - November 10th, 2020
- Truss the process: How the Ravens turned a strange week into their biggest win of the season - Baltimore Sun - November 10th, 2020
- 2020 European MotoGP Results and News - Cycle News - November 10th, 2020
- Star Renegades Will Be Coming To Consoles Later This Month - Bleeding Cool News - November 10th, 2020
- Why a great teacher can make all the difference - Blogdottv - November 10th, 2020
- How Disney Helped Fans Live Their Star Wars Stories - Theme Park Insider - November 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence, the reality behind the runaway - Pledge Times - November 8th, 2020
- 8 Comments on Bugatti Bolide's Claimed Nurburing Time Isn't Real... - The Truth About Cars - October 30th, 2020
- What happened at the Badger Fire? - Times-News - October 30th, 2020
- Red Bull hopes 'Balance of Performance' plan will win rivals over to engine freeze - RaceFans - October 28th, 2020
- Rybka - Wikipedia - October 28th, 2020
- What the hell is reinforcement learning and how does it work? - The Next Web - October 28th, 2020
- How the new diversity is transforming science fictions future - Polygon - October 28th, 2020
- Low-flying helicopters to measure radiation levels in DC before inauguration | TheHill - The Hill - October 23rd, 2020
- Derrick Henry isnt the only challenge for the Steelers in Nashville - Behind the Steel Curtain - October 23rd, 2020
- The Rise of the Machines: Where Does the Person Stop and the Machine Start? - CIO Applications - October 21st, 2020
- National Stock Exchange of Australia to Launch Automated Trading Blockchain... - Coinspeaker - October 21st, 2020
- When 3 is greater than 5 - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2020
- The Analogue Duo Retro System Will Launch Sometime In 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - October 19th, 2020
- NHTSA Launching Investigation Into Chevy Bolt Fires - The Truth About Cars - October 16th, 2020
- Chess Engines Collection Download - OuefCafe.info - October 11th, 2020
- Engines - Chessprogramming wiki - October 11th, 2020
- Unreal Engine will power the Hummer EV's infotainment display - Sports Grind Entertainment - October 8th, 2020
- Jos: Time for Red Bull to produce a championship-winning car - Grand Prix 247 - October 8th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Caruana and Firouzja get off to a good start - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- Belltower: Outlawing the internal combustion engine - Mountain Democrat - October 3rd, 2020
- Netmarble Announces An Original Mobile Title With A3: Still Alive - Bleeding Cool News - October 1st, 2020
- The F-35 in the Way Ahead for USMC-US Navy Integration - Second Line of Defense - September 30th, 2020
- Apple Vs. Epics First Hearing Takes Place, Judge Recommends Jury Trial for July 2021 - mxdwn.com - September 30th, 2020
- 15 Games Like Among Us That Will Test Your Wits - KeenGamer News - September 28th, 2020
- Digital Inclusion: What Does It Bring To The Future Of Connected Vehicles? - ISBuzz News - September 24th, 2020
- CanPL.ca's Best of the second group stage and CPL Final at The Island Games - Canadian Premier League - September 22nd, 2020
- Smart Money Podcast: Used Cars in Short Supply, and Shea Coule Talks About Money - Morton Times-News - September 22nd, 2020
- Revved up: How FCA and an army of contractors raced against time to put together 1st new assembly plant in Detroit in 3 decades - Crain's Detroit... - September 20th, 2020
- T-Bones waiting for the all-clear to open - Wicked Local Plymouth - September 19th, 2020
- Changing the rules - Spectator.co.uk - September 19th, 2020
- Cyan Reveals They're Developing The Game Myst For VR - Bleeding Cool News - September 19th, 2020
- Carlsen Connects on Day 2 of Rapid and Blitz - uschess.org - September 19th, 2020
- California's Butte County has been ravaged by wildfires. One man's rescue shows the depth of the fight - San Francisco Chronicle - September 19th, 2020