A collegiate chess competition isnt a typical excuse for a college student to pull an all-nighter.
However, for one student on the University of Missouri chess team, competing at the recent 2020 U.S. Online Collegiate Rapid and Blitz Championship, his last round didnt finish until around 4 a.m. local time in India. As the global coronavirus pandemic has caused life adjustments for many people around the globe, Mizzous chess team has also adjusted to competing in virtual chess tournaments while five team members are at Mizzou and the others are overseas in their home countries.
Mizzous coach, Cristian Chirila, a Romanian grandmaster, said accommodating all of the different time zones for his players was not a huge undertaking because the team had already hosted many meetings and practices online.
Weve been able to continue practicing normally, more or less, Chirila said. Were lucky as chess players, in that regard.
An unprecedented season
Grigory Oparin, the captain of the Mizzou chess team, is earning a graduate degree in Spanish while regularly participating in online chess competitions. The continuous journey of improvement inspires Oparin to keep playing, even during a pandemic that has changed the way the sport looks. Playing chess online, using online platforms and video conference apps has its added challenges fatigue from focusing intensely on a computer screen, potential internet connection issues and even the necessity to make quick moves on the virtual chessboard with a computer mouse.
Playing chess online is just a completely different experience than playing over the board, Oparin said. When youre playing over the board, you see your opponents emotions and the way hes handling the pressure. You cant do that when youre playing online, just staring at your screen, moving some virtual pieces.
However, playing online has not been a barrier to the teams success.
At the virtual 2020 U.S. Online Collegiate Rapid and Blitz Championships, the team placed fourth overall out of 25 teams for the rapid championship and earned a bronze award for the blitz championship. In addition, Gulrukhbegim Tokhirjonova and Olga Badelka took silver and bronze awards, respectively, in the womens section.
Collegiate chess is becoming increasingly competitive. Some of the teams Mizzou competed against had more than twice as many players as Mizzou did including top-level grandmasters. Oparin, a grandmaster himself, earned a fourth place individual finish in the blitz championship.
Coach Chirila looks forward to the opportunity to physically see all of his team members face-to-face, especially as some of the new players could not travel to Mizzou due to the pandemic.
We all miss touching the chess pieces by hand, Chirila said.
Chirilas ultimate goal for the Mizzou chess team remains to win a national championship, whether over the board or on a computer screen.
Eric Stann is a research news strategist at the University of Missouris News Bureau.
Follow this link:
- Meet the Fritztrainer - Chris Ward - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- When a retreat is the best way to advance - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Ex-chess champ Garry Kasparov worries over 'enfeebled Congress', says 'extremist wings' will help Donald Trump - MEAWW - November 24th, 2020
- Who Was The First Female Grandmaster? - Chess.com - November 24th, 2020
- Calm and powerful - Chessbase News - November 21st, 2020
- Two Chess Grandmasters Weigh in on "The Queen's Gambit" | Amanpour and Company - pbssocal.org - November 18th, 2020
- Vidit plays the Skilling Open... and Banter Blitz - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- So wins 4th match in Speed Championship The Manila Times - The Manila Times - November 12th, 2020
- Should Open Tournaments Be Included In World Chess Championship Cycle? - Chess.com - November 11th, 2020
- 50th anniversary of the Interzonal in Palma de Mallorca - Chessbase News - November 11th, 2020
- Iran's Chess On The Verge Of International Ban - Iran News By Radio Farda - November 11th, 2020
- Take it Outside: Fresh Air Chess in the Big City - uschess.org - November 11th, 2020
- Iran warned continued boycott of matches against Israelis will lead to FIDE ban - Insidethegames.biz - November 11th, 2020
- Vera Menchik: The Real-life Beth Harmon - Chess.com - November 11th, 2020
- 35 years ago: Kasparov becomes youngest World Champion in the history of chess - Chessbase News - November 11th, 2020
- Jeffery Xiong Wins Nov. 3 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - November 5th, 2020
- I'm a Grandmaster and The Queen's Gambit has all the right moves - Sydney Morning Herald - November 3rd, 2020
- The real lives that inspired the O Gambito da Rainha prodigy re:Jerusalem - re:Jerusalem - November 3rd, 2020
- Just the Rules: Rulebook U-Turns | US Chess.org - uschess.org - November 3rd, 2020
- Whanganui weekend: 5 things to do - New Zealand Herald - November 3rd, 2020
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (November 1) - CBS News - November 1st, 2020
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (November 1) - msnNOW - October 31st, 2020
- U.S. Championship: So Still Leading the Way - Chess.com - October 30th, 2020
- So Tallies Five Straight Wins in U.S. Championship; Robson, Xiong Still Chase - uschess.org - October 29th, 2020
- U.S. Women's Championship: Krush tops the standings - Chessbase News - October 28th, 2020
- Irina Krush wins her 8th U.S. women's title - Chessbase News - October 28th, 2020
- Your chance to play two grandmasters on chess24 - chess24 - October 24th, 2020
- Chess, cricket, chickens and Nostradamus - TheArticle - October 24th, 2020
- Navara on the Candidates & reluctantly playing in Spain - chess24 - October 24th, 2020
- The memorable 4th edition of the Capablanca Memorial in 1965 - Chessbase News - October 24th, 2020
- Checks and counter checks - Chessbase News - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online team chess: India men and women enter semifinals - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster on Game Of Thrones final season: I havent met anyone that likes it - NME - October 24th, 2020
- On Chess: 18th And Olive: Historical Site Of The First World Chess Championship - St. Louis Public Radio - October 23rd, 2020
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster: Macca didnt like that John Lennon was taller in Nowhere Boy' - NME.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Pandemic Has Caused 'Cheating Crisis' in Chess - Newser - October 23rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Review: A Winning Chess Thriller - Wall Street Journal - October 23rd, 2020
- Tabada wins National Executive Chess Online tilt - manilastandard.net - October 23rd, 2020
- Anya Taylor-Joy Infiltrates the Boys Club of Chess in The Queens Gambit - Den of Geek - October 21st, 2020
- Chess, The Musical Finally Opens In Moscow - Chess.com - October 21st, 2020
- CBM 197: Magnus and his rivals - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2020
- The Best Shows and Movies to Watch This Week: The Vow Finale, Borat Sequel - Up News Info - October 19th, 2020
- Lighting lamps to guide physics on its way - The Hindu - October 19th, 2020
- 2020: A Year of Success for Oxford Chess - Cherwell Online - October 19th, 2020
- Hennessy Presents "Make Your Move" Featuring RZA And GZA Of Wu-Tang And Maurice Ashley - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- Dr C K Rajkumar: The Velvette man who pioneered the sachet revolution - Deccan Herald - October 9th, 2020
- 2020 Pacific Coast Open: Better Late Than Never! | US Chess.org - uschess.org - October 9th, 2020
- Asian Online Chess: India start favourites in both mens and womens events - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- Chess vs. checkers: The brilliance behind Justin Houston's approach to the pass rush - The Indianapolis Star - October 9th, 2020
- How man and machine can work together in the age of AI - The European Sting - October 9th, 2020
- A trout in the milk? - Spectator.co.uk - October 8th, 2020
- 'Young and the Restless' Spoilers: Chelsea Considers Dumping Adam Will She Bail on 'Chadam'? - Soap Dirt - October 8th, 2020
- October Cover Stories with Chess Life: GM Maurice Ashley - uschess.org - October 7th, 2020
- Teen star stands out in Wilfredo Neri Memorial chess tiff - Philippine Star - October 7th, 2020
- Netflix in October: All the new shows and movies coming out Film Daily - Film Daily - October 7th, 2020
- Carlsen and So tie in Chess 9LX tournament - Stabroek News - October 5th, 2020
- King in the middle (2) - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- Its more natural for men to pick chess as an interest or women to pick arranging flowers - Mint - October 3rd, 2020
- Cloud9 Signs Chess Grandmaster Andrew 'penguingm1' Tang The Esports Observerhome of essential esports business news and insights - TEO - The Esports... - October 3rd, 2020
- The world's our lobster - TheArticle - October 3rd, 2020
- Trump joked while people suffered with Covid. Well, is now the time to stop? - The Guardian - October 3rd, 2020
- How to get more productive? Try this meditation app - Economic Times - October 1st, 2020
- How SPB helped a teenage Viswanathan Anand for a national championship - The News Minute - October 1st, 2020
- Bhavik Rathod ventures out with edtech platform Kyt - ETtech.com - October 1st, 2020
- The other Pandey: An ode, a shout out and a plea... - afaqs - September 30th, 2020
- Required Reading: The Secrets To Pro's Success MTG Arena Zone - MTG Arena Zone - September 30th, 2020
- Spotted on a Safari - The New York Times - September 30th, 2020
- Celebrities that stream Among Us TalkEsport - TalkEsport - September 29th, 2020
- Alexander Donchenko: The importance of working hard at the board - Chessbase News - September 28th, 2020
- AI in IT service and support: The promise approaches reality - TechBeacon - September 28th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit Netflix release date, cast, trailer, plot: When is the series out? - Daily Express - September 28th, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Trailer: Anya Taylor-Joy Is A Chess-Prodigy Carving Her Place In A Man's World - Mashable India - September 26th, 2020
- Who are the 50 Greatest Chess Players of All Time? - chess24 - September 24th, 2020
- So, Carlsen Tie in Saint Louis Speed Event; Nakamura Third - uschess.org - September 24th, 2020
- Essential strategies to win every game in Auto Brawl Chess: Battle Royale - Pocket Gamer - September 24th, 2020
- Sheikh Hasina International Online Chess begins Thursday - United News of Bangladesh - September 24th, 2020
- Chess players in war of words Zambia - diggers.news - September 22nd, 2020
- What is the puzzle result win, loss or draw? - Financial Times - September 22nd, 2020
- Post-mortems and princes - Chessbase News - September 20th, 2020
- Centre's deadline to AICF warring factions nearing fast - Sify News - September 20th, 2020