Anya Taylor-Joy plays a swaggering chess prodigy in the new Netflix hit, The Queen's Gambit. It's success may lead to a shortage of chess sets this holiday season. Phil Bray/Netflix hide caption
Anya Taylor-Joy plays a swaggering chess prodigy in the new Netflix hit, The Queen's Gambit. It's success may lead to a shortage of chess sets this holiday season.
Who could've predicted chess sets might become as difficult to find as toilet paper during the early weeks of the pandemic? Not Gerrick Johnson. The toy analyst with BMO Capital Markets found himself stymied while searching for a particular Cardinal chess set a few weeks ago.
"It was sold out everywhere I went," he says.
Sales of chess sets have skyrocketed, says Mary Higbe, director of marketing at Goliath Games. The company sells six different kinds of chess sets, including those familiar red-boxed Pressman sets you've probably seen in the toy aisle at Walmart.
"Our October sales for chess were up 178% over the same period last year," Higbe says. That's a big increase. But something else unexpected happened at the end of the month. Now, she says, "our chess sales are up 1,048%."
Every so often a game comes along that captures the popular imagination. In November 2020, that game is chess. The reason? A Netflix period drama that debuted in late October.
"Ever since The Queen's Gambit launched, our chess sales have increased triple digits," marvels Elizabeth LoVecchio, vice-president of marketing at Spin Master. The huge toy company has a division of classic games such as chess, checkers and backgammon that owns about 70% of the market share in the United States.
LoVecchio says sales of these games started spiking back when people first hunkered down last spring and played games with people in their bubbles to keep themselves entertained. But what's happening with chess sales since The Queen's Gambit is "unprecedented and we anticipate our sales rising further," she adds.
Chess sets sales are rising in the secondary market as well. eBay registered a 215% increase in chess set and accessory sales since The Queen's Gambit hit Netflix, with shoppers seeking out wooden chess sets nine times more than plastic, electronic or glass ones, according to an eBay spokesperson. Toy analyst Gerrick Johnson now warns that demand will outstrip supply.
"Six months ago, a year ago, these retailers weren't saying, let's load up on chess sets," he notes. "Good luck finding a chess set this holiday!"
Both LoVecchio and Higbe agree a chess shortage may be added to 2020's woes.
"Oh, for sure. I believe it," Higbe says.
Chess has long been alluring, even dramatic. But The Queen's Gambit makes it seem accessible, Higbe adds. And that just adds to the appeal of a game that's both eminently affordable and pleasingly different every time you play it.
"You have to have patience. You have to really think about strategy. You have to plan ahead," she says.
Valuable skills for playing chess and getting through the dark few months before us.
Beth (Anya Taylor-Joy) destroys an opponent (Jacob Fortune-Lloyd) in the Netflix chess drama, The Queen's Gambit. Phil Bray/Netflix hide caption
Beth (Anya Taylor-Joy) destroys an opponent (Jacob Fortune-Lloyd) in the Netflix chess drama, The Queen's Gambit.
- BotezLive To Host BlockChamps: Pokimane, LilyPichu, GeorgeNotFound Participating - Chess.com - January 13th, 2021
- PogChamps $100,000 Chess tournament to begin from 14th February featuring Pokimane, Mr Beast, and more - Sportskeeda - January 13th, 2021
- Zugzwecklos: When you have chess moves, but it doesn't matter - Washington Times - January 13th, 2021
- How this 34-year-old chess champion became Indias youngest new billionaire - CNBC - January 13th, 2021
- Learn the game in MCCL'S beginning chess classes - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - January 13th, 2021
- Marty Mornhinweg: "It's Going to Be a Chess Match Between the Ravens Defense and Bills Offense." - RADIO.COM - January 13th, 2021
- How this Ontario womans online chess school is getting young girls worldwide excited about the game - Yahoo News Canada - January 13th, 2021
- What The...: Saving the world, one move at a time - theday.com - January 13th, 2021
- CHESS Health Expands Executive Team with Vice President of Clinical Performance - PR Web - January 13th, 2021
- Viswanathan Anand agrees to be on AICF's Advisory Board - Sportstar - January 9th, 2021
- Q&A: 1st District Candidate Aaron Chess on Why He Walked Away from Democratic Party - WGLT News - January 9th, 2021
- Phish 'Dinner And A Rematch' Stream Companion: 12/31/95 & Chess Grudge Match [Watch] - Live for Live Music - January 6th, 2021
- How to Teach Your Kid to Play Chess - Lifehacker - January 6th, 2021
- Rubik's Cube Movie in the Works After Major Chess Success - Interesting Engineering - January 6th, 2021
- Phish Defeat Audience in Chess During 'Dinner and a Rematch' NYE Broadcast - Relix - January 4th, 2021
- First glimpse of Yeleti and Nithiins Check - The Hindu - January 4th, 2021
- The best chess player is an intuitive artist - Stabroek News - January 4th, 2021
- Chess in general is rising in popularity, and now through another avenue - WZDX - January 4th, 2021
- Check teaser: Nithin as a prisoner and chess player - Telugu Cinema - January 4th, 2021
- Pittsburgh chess champ Ashley Priore in Ms Magazine: Here's what The Queen's Gambit got wrong - NEXTpittsburgh - January 4th, 2021
- Long Island chess collection is more than a gambit - Newsday - January 4th, 2021
- Despite Negative Toll Netflixs The Queen's Gambit Has Taken On Chess, There's A Positive As Well - CinemaBlend - December 31st, 2020
- Chess.com Puzzle Week 2021: All The Information - Chess.com - December 31st, 2020
- Stress, chess and mounting dread: how 2020 was the year of anxie-TV - The Guardian - December 31st, 2020
- Meet Ryan Mecham, the 7-year-old Houston chess prodigy - Chron - December 31st, 2020
- Rocky chess whiz takes on 49 players in Spanish contest - Morning Bulletin - December 29th, 2020
- The Attacking Set-Up That Always Wins - Chess.com - December 29th, 2020
- 'Queen's Gambit' Co-Creator Scott Frank Wanted To Explore The 'Cost Of Genius' - NPR - December 29th, 2020
- Chess, STEM, Fashion, and Writing Workshops on Tap at Union Recreation Department - TAPinto.net - December 29th, 2020
- Phish Revisit MSG New Year Eve Show & Demand Chess Rematch For 'Dinner and A Movie' - Glide Magazine - December 27th, 2020
- Shes a Chess Champion Who Can Barely See the Board - The New York Times - December 26th, 2020
- Beth Harmon, the isoLanni? - Chess.com - December 26th, 2020
- Mastering Atari, Go, chess and shogi by planning with a learned model - Nature.com - December 26th, 2020
- Waimea resident is Hawaii's Chess Player of the Year - The Garden Island - December 26th, 2020
- Checkmate and Maybe Hypothermia - 9 & 10 News - 9&10 News - December 26th, 2020
- Vishy Anand fears Classical chess could go the Test cricket way; talks about upcoming film on him - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2020
- 2020: The year of a pandemic of cheating in online chess - Livemint - December 26th, 2020
- Chess gains popularity on Long Island due to the pandemic, and Netflix - Newsday - December 26th, 2020
- India win 3 gold, 1 bronze in World Cadets and Youth Rapid Chess Cships - The Bridge - December 23rd, 2020
- Alexandra Botez and Andrea Botez Sign With Team Envy - TalkEsport - December 23rd, 2020
- 2 Canadian men play game of chess while submerged in icy lake - WFLA - December 22nd, 2020
- Oli has played a chess move to save his position; impact on Nepal to be seen - Economic Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Buffalo chess detective busier than ever with online cheating on the rise - WGRZ.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Jonah Hill Once Compared Martin Scorsese's Directing Style To Playing Chess With a Clock - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 22nd, 2020
- Holiday Bots: 'Tis The Season Of Chess! - Chess.com - December 20th, 2020
- Great minds: 10 players who excel at both chess and poker - chess24 - December 20th, 2020
- All The Information: Chess.com Bullet Open Championship - Chess.com - December 20th, 2020
- Gamesmanship and hypnosis in chess - TheArticle - December 20th, 2020
- QC board games and chess club keeps students in touch - The Knight News - December 20th, 2020
- St. Louis' World Chess Hall of Fame Hosting Massive Keith Haring Exhibit - Riverfront Times - December 20th, 2020
- Chess Corner: Dont go to the dance - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - December 18th, 2020
- The Fascinating History of Chess and How 'the Queen's Gambit' Sparked the Once Banned Game - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 18th, 2020
- The FBI is investigating an anti-Semitic hack that left a Jewish school's website overrun with Holocaust refer - Business Insider India - December 17th, 2020
- Play chess against the computer from Level 1 to Master - December 16th, 2020
- Marine Infantry Training Shifts From 'Automaton' to Thinkers, as School Adds Chess to the Curriculum - USNI News - December 16th, 2020
- Play Chess Online in Realtime. Meet People Across the Globe - December 15th, 2020
- Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2021 - December 15th, 2020
- Auto Chess - Epic Games Store - December 15th, 2020
- Wizard's Chess | Harry Potter Wiki | Fandom - December 15th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Set To Debut At The Concert Hall, QPAC In June 2021 - Broadway World - December 15th, 2020
- Chess on the App Store - December 15th, 2020
- Chess is King During Pandemic, Including Here in Montgomery County - Montgomery Community Media - December 13th, 2020
- Chess.com sees cheating all-time high after 'Queen's Gambit' surge - Business Insider - Business Insider - December 13th, 2020
- CHESSs breakfast with Santa drive-thru - WKRG News 5 - December 13th, 2020
- Guyana should be aiming to produce a grandmaster - Stabroek News - December 13th, 2020
- I was a female chess champ, too and still love the game - The Globe and Mail - December 13th, 2020
- Poll list boost for president's camp in All India Chess Federation battle - The New Indian Express - December 13th, 2020
- Irving's trying to play chess while ignoring useful pieces - The Athletic - December 12th, 2020
- Chess generations - Are you ready for the future of chess? - Eurosport COM - December 12th, 2020
- Patriots Game Plan: Dissecting the Chess Match Between Bill Belichick and Sean McVay - CLNS Media - December 12th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit and the next big thing in chess - New Zealand Herald - December 12th, 2020
- 'Chess game has started' - Man United player 'wouldn't be disappointed' to move to another club to 'meet his friend' - Sport Witness - December 12th, 2020
- Nakamura gets birthday Speed Chess revenge on So - chess24 - December 11th, 2020
- Happy Birthday Viswanathan Anand: 10 Facts about The Wizard of Chess - News18 - December 11th, 2020
- Five All India Chess Federation units called for virtual meet today; Tamil Nadu among them - The New Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- From Homelessness To Chess Master: This British Player Is Looking To Spark A Checkered Board Scene In Malta - Lovin Malta - December 11th, 2020
- The Real Queens Gambit: Catching Chess Cheaters - The Wall Street Journal - December 9th, 2020
- Let's talk about chess ... with Stefan Meyer-Kahlen, creator of Shredder - Chessbase News - December 9th, 2020
- Gosrani optimistic ahead of World Youth, Cadets Chess Championship - The Standard - December 9th, 2020
- Kenyans are pawns in a political chess game - The Standard - December 9th, 2020