GM Wesley So defeated GM Jan-Krzysztof Duda in a Speed Chess Championship match that was tight in the beginning and tight in the end, but it was a tour de force by So in the middle. With the exception of World Champion Magnus Carlsen and GM Hikaru Nakamura, So is the most accomplished player in Speed Chess Championship history, and with this victory, he has advanced to the semifinals where he will face the winner of the match between Nakamura and GM Vladimir Fedoseev.
How to watch?The games of the Speed Chess Championship Main Event are played on the Chess.com live server. They are also available on our platform for watching live games at Chess.com/events and on our apps under "Watch." Expert commentary can be enjoyed at Chess.com/tv.
So and Duda had played one previous Speed Chess Championship match in 2018, and So won convincingly, 20-7. Two years later, Duda is a considerably more accomplished player and no longer a junior. Would his performance against the reigning U.S. champion be superior this time around?
In general, yes, Duda performed much better. The final score of 16-10 was certainly closer, and Duda even leaped out to an early lead of 2.5-0.5. He ultimately drew the 5|1 time control (4-4) and won the 1|1 time control 5-4, but in the 3|1 time control, So was simply untouchable. He won 7 games and drew only two for a point total of 8-1. After the match, commentator GM Robert Hess said that So was "the best player in the entire world in the 3|1 time control." Given that So has defeated both Carlsen and Nakamura in this time control, Hess has good supporting evidence for this bold claim.
The high-water mark in the match for Duda came after games two and three when Duda first won an excellent game two in a smooth and convincing fashion.
He then defended a dangerous attack in game three with accurate play.
So's first win came in game three when he won an instructive endgame thanks to his dominant knight. So has consistently shown himself to be one of the most accurate and unperturbable blitz chess players in the world. He's incredibly hard to tilt, and if his opponent starts tilting, things can quickly go downhill.
Duda scored the next full point in an opposite-colored bishops endgame where the outside passed pawn on the a-file gave him excellent chances. So then won game seven below in a remarkable time scramble before collecting a full point with a nice attack in game eight to close out the 5|1 time control in a 4-4 tie.
Amazingly, Duda was only able to draw the third and fourth games in the 3|1 time control. So won all other games, and his win in the fifth game was a real blitz chess masterpiece. He sacrificed a piece early and carried the pressure through to the endgame where his rook tied down Duda's forces. When Duda missed the chance to give the piece back and achieve balance in the rook endgame, So pushed his pawns forward on the kingside and Duda's extra knight could only spectate.
As the match advanced to 1|1, Duda was almost mathematically out of contention, but he did start well with a victory. After the two grandmasters exchanged a series of victories, Duda's consecutive wins in games five and six gave him the edge in the time control, and he ultimately won it 5-4. The most insane moment came when Duda hung his queen in the second game, but So missed the opportunity to take it!
In fact, the final game was declared a draw as after time ran out, the server temporarily went offline due to high traffic to play the newly released Beth Harmon bots. As this game did not affect the match outcome, the players agreed to adjudication of the game rather than wait for the match to be restored after a server restart.
The 2020 Speed Chess Championship Main Event is a knockout tournament among 16 of the best grandmasters in the world who will play for a $100,000 prize fund, double the amount of last year. The tournament will run November 1-December 13, 2020 on Chess.com. Each individual match will feature 90 minutes of 5+1 blitz, 60 minutes of 3+1 blitz, and 30 minutes of 1+1 bullet chess.
Read the rest here:
- Are Computers That Win at Chess Smarter Than Geniuses? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 27th, 2020
- Chess team eye qualification - The Herald - November 27th, 2020
- Local Event: ONLINE CHINESE CHESS CAMP | THANKSGIVING BREAK | K ~ SIXTH (6th) - Patch.com - November 27th, 2020
- How Chess Helped Natan Sharansky Outlast the Soviet Union and Foster Jewish Unity - Algemeiner - November 26th, 2020
- CBS May Have to Cancel or Move The Talk in Ratings Chess Game to Keep Drew Barrymore Alive in the Afternoon - Showbiz411 - November 26th, 2020
- Online chess boom follows 'The Queen's Gambit' success - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 25th, 2020
- Chess Forums Imad Khachan Talks 25 Years on Thompson Street With @NewYorkNico - Curbed - November 25th, 2020
- "Glory to the Queen": A Tribute to the Georgian Queens of Chess - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Why Do Business Owners Sense They Are Playing Checkers in a Chess World? - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Kenya bounce back to thrash Libya after slow start to Online Chess Olympiad games - The Standard - November 25th, 2020
- 'Searching For Bobby Fischer' Is About This Young Chess Prodigy - But He Quit the Game and Here's Why - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 25th, 2020
- PHOTO: Mira Rajput shares a sneak peek of her 'queen' Mishas chess lessons; Says 'Never too young to start' - PINKVILLA - November 25th, 2020
- Battle of the Gigabrains: Vitalik Buterin to match wits with chess master - Cointelegraph - November 24th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Is the Forrest Gump of Chess - Vulture - November 24th, 2020
- Chess Set Sales Have Skyrocketed Thanks To 'The Queen's Gambit' On Netflix - NPR - November 21st, 2020
- Illinois Wesleyan University's Virtual Production of CHESS Premieres This Weekend - Broadway World - November 21st, 2020
- Washington state team crowned national chess champions - KING5.com - November 21st, 2020
- Introducing the new Skilling Open commentary teams and our slick TV studio - chess24 - November 21st, 2020
- Packers will have an interesting chess match against the Colts defense - Acme Packing Company - November 21st, 2020
- Play Chess With Beth Harmon from The Queen's Gambit - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - St. Louis Public Radio - November 20th, 2020
- Mollies Feel-Good Feed: Mind mapping, a classic Icon and a game of chess - Marie Claire UK - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - Scottsbluff Star Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Checking in with chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov - Jewish Insider - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on Trump's final exit, vaccine side-effects and the infinite fascination of chess - expressandstar.com - November 20th, 2020
- CHESS Launches Cross Border Peace Initiative Between Liberia and Ivory Coast - Liberian Daily Observer - November 20th, 2020
- Brawl Chess - Gambit brings an old classic up to date on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch - TheXboxHub - November 20th, 2020
- Diane Francis: Putin is playing chess against the West and he's winning - Financial Post - November 18th, 2020
- How chess streaming became the favourite pandemic pastime - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Chess: Indias 14-year-old Leon Mendonca closes in on Grandmaster title with second norm in Hungary - Scroll.in - November 18th, 2020
- Chess, the great metaphor of the world - Pledge Times - November 18th, 2020
- Chess the Musical to perform at Perth Concert Hall after Netflix's The Queen's Gambit sparks cultural revival - The West Australian - November 18th, 2020
- Lancaster Chess Soc embroiled in brutal civil war after president is accused of cheating - The Tab - November 18th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Will Debut at The Regent Theatre - Broadway World - November 16th, 2020
- Loansharking, fake test results and betting on chess: How organized crime has learned to thrive in the COVID-19 pandemic - Toronto Star - November 16th, 2020
- Power Book II: Ghost episode 6: New poster all about the chess... - CarterMatt - November 16th, 2020
- Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player ever? Not according to chess24's Hall of Fame - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- From chess match to streetfight: The world's courtrooms are the battleground for the future of fossil fuels - WorldOil - November 16th, 2020
- 2020 National Open Championship to be Held Online, November 21-22 - uschess.org - November 16th, 2020
- 'Chess The Musical' to be performed in Perth in 2021 - OUTinPerth - November 16th, 2020
- Will Trump quit? A chess master, pro poker player, boxing coach and Monopoly champ on the art of throwing in the towel - MarketWatch - November 12th, 2020
- Hundreds being introduced to chess | News - news-herald.net - November 12th, 2020
- Fujairah Chess and Culture Club adopts initiative to teach 20000 players basics of chess - Gulf Today - November 12th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 2) - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2020
- Grandmaster In The Making - Midweek - November 12th, 2020
- Stuart Rachels' remarkable run and a new look at chess streaks - Washington Times - November 11th, 2020
- Chinas Jack Ma: The chess game he refuses to lose in Africa - The Africa Report - November 8th, 2020
- Florida-Georgia game will be 'chess match' between Mullen, Smart - GatorBait.net - November 8th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen's Chess Tour Secures TV Deal With Eurosport - TEO - The Esports Observer - November 8th, 2020
- 'CHESS MINISERIES' MORE THRILLING THAN NETFLIX'S 'GOTHIC ROMANCE' - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - November 8th, 2020
- God, the elections, and 4-D chess - Christian Post - November 8th, 2020
- 10-year-old chess boy wonder wants to represent Philippines on world stage - Philstar.com - November 8th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: A Real-Life Chess Champion on Netflixs Addictive Hit - Vanity Fair - November 6th, 2020
- Fair play and good manners in chess - Chessbase News - November 5th, 2020
- Trump Isn't Playing 3-D Chess. He's Eating the Checker. - The Daily Beast - November 5th, 2020
- Lorenzo Marvin 'Mac' McNeal, 83, relished playing chess and Bid Whist - WYDaily - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess: Find the move that defeated a world champion - Financial Times - November 3rd, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' and more chess films worth checking out - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 3rd, 2020
- Rising star Anya Taylor-Joy takes on the challenge of chess in The Queen's Gambit - The West Australian - November 3rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: Chess Expert Bruce Pandolfini on Making the Matches Look Like the Real Thing - IndieWire - October 31st, 2020
- UAE Chess Champion to compete in Balinas Cup - PhilBoxing.com - October 31st, 2020
- ASX Extends Go-live of CHESS Replacement to April 2023 - Regulation Asia - October 30th, 2020
- Chess Corner: The Halloween Gambit - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - October 30th, 2020
- How to win at zhuolu chess in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII - Gamepur - October 30th, 2020
- How Queens Gambits VFX Team Crafted the Chess Moves - Variety - October 29th, 2020
- I Am Very Attracted to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as a Chess Cowboy on The Queen's Gambit - POPSUGAR - October 29th, 2020
- Karjakin Wins Oct. 27 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 29th, 2020
- Checkmate, mate! Australia are kings in the sport of chess - ABC News - October 29th, 2020
- Chess and bridge titles on the line at Mind Sports World University Championship - Insidethegames.biz - October 28th, 2020
- Cuba 1 at a good pace in world online university chess championship - OnCubaNews - October 28th, 2020
- Bacolod's Asuela rules NLEX Sports Battle of the Minds online chess tourney - PhilBoxing.com - October 28th, 2020
- Chess chiefs move to defeat rise in cheating as games move online in lockdown - The Sunday Post - October 28th, 2020
- CHESS speaker series set to host back-to-back events this week - Gannonknight - October 28th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020