Sign up for our Daily Email newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest local news throughout Philadelphia.
By Daniel Casillas, MWN
Video games have become a new battleground in elections, as candidates have recently appeared in some of the most popular titles. Although it may seem odd, their strategy is working quite well due to the reach and market value of the industry.
According to data by the Entertainment Software Association, there are around 2.5 billion video game players around the world, while in the United States alone 60 percent of people daily engage with this part of the virtual world. In addition, the market analysis site Newzoo assures that the industry will reach an income of $159 billion in 2020, 9 percent more than the previous year.
That is why video games are emerging as an important medium. Politicians in the past have used other forms of popular culture to find ways to relate to their constituents informally. Video games are no different from that, and in many ways are even better as an action-oriented medium, Shira Chess, associate professor of entertainment and media studies at the University of Georgia, explained to Metro.
Currently what most attracts politicians when it comes to video games is that hundreds of players can receive their message at the same time.
Once online gaming came to dominate, it assembled a very large group of generally hard to reach voters. So, gaming allowed politicians to go where voters are. As long as increasing the turn-out of younger voters is a priority, politicians will continue to experiment with using online gaming to reach younger voters, Bruce A Williams, professor of media studies at the University of Virginia, said.
Despite the benefits, experts believe that the result did not seem effective during the November election, since candidates were just sending messages and not interacting with gamers.
Politicians get the most value out of video games when they understand games are an interactive and cooperative medium, a place to meet voters, not simply advertise their image, Laine Nooney, assistant professor of media industries at New York University, who specializes in video game and computer industries, commented.
Indeed, the world of video games is still quite new for politicians, however, the trend is expected to develop in the future.
It is a sizable and difficult to reach segment of voters. So politicians will try to engage with them. Even if many candidates are older and gaming is seen as a vaguely trivial and unserious pursuit, staff and campaign advisors are much younger and many grew up gaming, Williams concluded.
Here are some ways politicians have engaged with video games:
Biden and Harris in Animal CrossingJoe Biden and his running mate Kamala Harris appeared in the Nintendo Animal Crossing game in the form of avatars. The campaign also allowed players to decorate their homes on the island with official Democratic posters.
Trump on TwitchPresident Donald Trump tried to connect with gamers by opening his channel on the popular video game streaming platform. However, the 74-years-old did not appear playing a single time, but posted videos of his rallies.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez playing Among Us
Democratic Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, on the other hand, showed how she was playing Among Us. More than 400k people watched her live on Twitch.
Continue reading here:
- Be well prepared - with the ChessBase Magazine - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2021
- Nine Attention-Grabbing Inventions Unveiled at This Year's CES - Smithsonian Magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Canadian chess master Ross Siemms pleased with new interest in the game - Toronto Sun - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: check out the world's craziest new gaming and consumer tech - Happy Mag - January 13th, 2021
- A Black Repertoire versus the Anti-Sicilians - Chessbase News - January 13th, 2021
- 'The Last of Us' prologue easter egg discovered after seven years - NME - January 13th, 2021
- Trolling the Great Outdoors - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Good, bad, and ugly 2020 - The New Indian Express - December 29th, 2020
- DeepMind's New AI Is Able To Learn The Rules Of A Game As It Plays - Unite.AI - December 27th, 2020
- Chess captures new fans thanks to the pandemic and 'The Queen's Gambit' - CBC.ca - December 27th, 2020
- Bridgewater Man And Woman Arrested In Connection To Stabbing On Christmas Eve - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Off Their Game Week 16 - Robby Anderson - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Five Tips To Become A World Chess Champion: Vasily Smyslov's Story - Chess.com - December 27th, 2020
- 20 top TV moments of 2020: From 'Jeopardy!' to 'Tiger King' and that wild election - USA TODAY - December 26th, 2020
- The Westbridge Anand Chess Academy will train five of India's biggest talents - Chessbase News - December 23rd, 2020
- Chess sets are in-demand on LI right now - Newsday - December 23rd, 2020
- Elliot Page Was Supposed to Star in The Queens Gambit - Rare.us - December 22nd, 2020
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? video - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- From Bake Off woes to Zoom fiascos: 2020 in lists - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- KCF University Cup to be played online in February - Chessbase News - December 20th, 2020
- 2020 smartphone mega shootout: The best camera phones tested - Android Authority - December 20th, 2020
- The best websites to play chess after watching 'Queen's Gambit' | Tech | December 17, 2020 - Explica - December 17th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: The glaring flaw of 'The Queens Gambit' that no one wants to mention - National Post - December 12th, 2020
- Best of 2020: How The Queen's Gambit made its chess look real - Entertainment Weekly - December 11th, 2020
- 5 Easy Steps That You Need to Follow To Become A Micro Influencer - Vizaca.com - December 11th, 2020
- Omena, Miguna and onions most googled in 2020 - The Standard - December 11th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Financial Post - December 8th, 2020
- Inuit-designed board game Nunami hits the shelves - Nunatsiaq News - December 8th, 2020
- How to play chess like Beth from The Queen's Gambit - The Spectator US - December 5th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Video creation app Firework insists it is more than a TikTok rival as it woos publishers in India - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2020
- Meghan and Harry are in hot water over The Crown and their Netflix deal - NEWS.com.au - December 3rd, 2020
- The Cord's Best of 2020 The Cord - The Cord - December 3rd, 2020
- Madonna Shared a Rare, Festive Family Portrait Ahead of the Holidays - HarpersBAZAAR.com - December 1st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' got you feeling chess? The best websites to play on - Film Daily - December 1st, 2020
- Mr Beast teases chess match with grandmaster Hikaru - Dexerto - December 1st, 2020
- The 42 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 29th, 2020
- Black Friday 2020 Live Update: A later Black Friday boost; hot holiday gifts: Legos and chess sets - CNBC - November 27th, 2020
- Chess championship: A 10-year-old Filipino takes over global stage - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- Netflix, HBO Max Battle Over 'Godzilla' Rights, Disney Plus Performs 'On Pointe' - The Streamable - November 27th, 2020
- A game-changing moment for chess - CNN Video - November 26th, 2020
- Carlsen on The Queen's Gambit: A little too unrealistic - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- Understanding before Moving 2: How to improve the activity of my pieces - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Gurgaon girl to represent India in World Youth Chess Championship - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 5) - Chessbase News - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - CNN - November 20th, 2020
- Cybercrimes can cost companies money, customers, and employees. Here's what types of cybersecurity protocols e - Business Insider India - November 18th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 4) - Chessbase News - November 16th, 2020
- How "The Queen's Gambit" is inspiring a wave of new chess fans, especially women - Salon - November 16th, 2020
- 5 great shows to watch on Netflix this weekend - Netflix Life - November 8th, 2020
- Chess and scientific research - Chessbase News - November 6th, 2020
- Harry Melling on 'Queen's Gambit' and His Haunting Liam Neeson Team-Up - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Darrell Hammond on Sean Connery Impression: "The Single Most Successful Thing I Ever Did As a Performer" - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Win or lose, with Trump, prepare for the unimaginable after the election - CNN - November 1st, 2020
- VIDEOS - Play Chess with Friends - October 31st, 2020
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - October 31st, 2020
- Chess videos | chess24.com - October 31st, 2020
- Gillian Jacobs Talks Improvising for the First Time on Dont Think Twice - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- TikToker Abby Roberts reacts to bizarre theory shes not really British - Dexerto - October 31st, 2020
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: 'Borat 2' on Amazon Prime Video+ More - Decider - October 24th, 2020
- Premiere: Sweet Crude Reaches Their "Ultimatum" - Popdust - October 23rd, 2020
- Gordon Ramsay Sipped Ocean Spray In His Latest TikTok Tirade, Referencing The Viral 'Dreams' Video - Delish.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast on How the Netflix Drama Goes Beyond the Chess Board (VIDEO) - TV Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen beats Caruana to take the lead - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- Connected pawns on the move - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- New: Sergei Tiviakov - How to play the Ruy Lopez with Qe2 - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - StreetInsider.com - October 7th, 2020
- Woman Can't Stump Her Husband With Riddles No Matter How Hard She Tries - Distractify - October 3rd, 2020
- Unearthing Every NFL Team's Early Hidden Gem - Bleacher Report - September 30th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Teaser: Anya Taylor-Joy Is Addicted to Chess, Drugs, and More Chess - Vulture - September 28th, 2020
- 'Console Wars' Review: A Fascinating, Fundamental Chronicle of the Innovative Battle Between SEGA and Nintendo - /FILM - September 24th, 2020
- WATCH: Why Nurse-Stevens was the best chess match in NBA history - Celtics Wire - September 24th, 2020
- The shifting chessboard of international influence operations - Brookings Institution - September 24th, 2020
- Yuzvendra Chahals Dance Videos That Went Viral! - IWMBuzz - September 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best chess and checkers games for Android - Explica - September 12th, 2020
- FIDE announces that the Candidates Tournament will resume on November 1st - Chessbase News - September 11th, 2020
- George Conway Shows What's Going On In Trump's Head In Exclusive 'Unfit' Clip - HuffPost - September 11th, 2020
- Pokelawls signed as streamer to TSM - Daily Esports - September 9th, 2020
- 30 fun ways to stay connected through video calls - Bryan-College Station Eagle - September 7th, 2020