One Chess soc member said of the President: I dont doubt his strength
Lancaster Chess Society is embroiled in a brutal civil war after the president has been accused of cheating, with one of his only chess accounts suspended due to concerns over fair play.
A whistleblower uncovered the alleged cheating within the society and is attempting to make it known to Lancaster students.
Lucy* has been a member of Chess Soc since the beginning of Michaelmas term. She started watching the games and tournaments, claiming this is how she recognised the cheating.
In a post on Pastebin, a website where you store text, she posted: It is my assertion that the President of the Chess Society at Lancaster University cheats at online chess events and when playing chess online. This includes during intra-society events where members play each other and the President makes use of a chess engine in order to win games in an unfair manner.
A spokesperson for Lancaster University Chess Society said: We have had someone level accusations against our president, and are having a general meeting on Wednesday to discuss them openly among our society.
As an exec, we havent taken kindly to these and do not believe the allegations that have been put forward. However, we will discuss them fairly with our members and hopefully put the matter to rest on Wednesday.
The President of Chess Soc, Joshua Higgs, has an official FIDE rating and has played for England chess, with a logged rank of just below 2000 in various formats of chess. Lucy points out that: This is a reasonably good rank and higher than anyone else in the chess society.
Despite this impressive natural talent and ability to win games OTB (On-the-board, in person rather than online based chess) he makes use of a chess engine to understand better moves. Chess engines typically provide the user with an advantage by finding the best move possible in a short amount of time.
Lucy describes the cheating method she suspects in-depth, saying: The best engines in the world beat humans consistently and it is therefore practically impossible to play at the same level of accuracy as a chess engine. Some chess engines are built with speed chess in mind. Blitz, for example, is a format where each player gets five minutes total, so the chess engine does a light search as opposed to a deep search.
Deep searches take slightly longer and provide the best move, but light searches are done quickly and provide moves that are almost perfect, which can sometimes give accuracy levels of between 95-98 per cent. A deeper search yields around 99 per cent accuracy. This accuracy factor is measured by the analysis of sites like chess.com to show how close the player was to the best move determined by the chess engine.
Lucy presented evidence of Joshuas account on chess.com and lichess.org, two popular chess playing sites. Joshs account on chess.com, under the name kingbooly, has been banned for breaking the fair play policy of chess.com. The fair play policy of chess.com consists of nine simple regulations to follow, including: Do not artificially manipulate ratings, matches, or game outcomes, Do not use chess engines, bots, plugins or any tools that analyze positions during play and Do not allow anyone else to use your account or access anyone elses account.
Lucy points out that the presidents accuracy is consistently high in blitz games. This is almost humanly impossible. The number one ranked player in Blitz chess does not often get 99 per cent accuracy and he is more than 1300 rating points above Joshua Higgs.
Lucy took her concerns to another member of Chess Soc who defended the president, saying that it was, in fact, the Presidents friend who got his account banned not the President himself.
He hasnt got a banned account, says the member of Chess Soc, Dont threaten with LUSU, hes honestly not [a cheat]. Im a high ish rated player and Ive only ever beaten him twice over 50 or so games on various accounts OTB or otherwise. And then it was luck. Hes not a cheat.
In further messages, he claims Josh gave his chess.com account to a friend and says the argument over him cheating is pointless.
Lucy protests this defence, saying it is a classic case of oh sure, my friend did it'. She continues: Either you are being deliberately naive or you know hes cheating and are just covering for you friend.
The Chess Soc member responds: Even if he does cheat, the lichess tournaments are too short time control to cheat. He doesnt cheat OTB or in real tournaments. If he did cheat, lichess would detect and ban him.
Im done arguing this mate, youve come out of nowhere accusing quite aggressively. Our society is meant to be inclusive, tolerant and fair. Our president is not a cheat, he is an excellent player and our society tries to bring the best chess out of us.
Lucy told The Tab Lancaster that her main concern was that the exec of the Chess Society are seemingly unswayed by the evidence of cheating. I am in no way suggesting that Josh is not a good player, as to win OTB events would be difficult without good knowledge. However, he is not 99% capable, as no human consistently is.
The President of Chess Society has declined to comment prior to the AGM meeting tomorrow.
Lancaster students have already raised over 15,000 for Movember
Driving on google maps and guess the rock: Life on a Lancaster Uni virtual field trip
We spoke to the Furness Flat behind that genius Elmo post-it artwork
Continue reading here:
- Are Computers That Win at Chess Smarter Than Geniuses? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 27th, 2020
- Chess team eye qualification - The Herald - November 27th, 2020
- Local Event: ONLINE CHINESE CHESS CAMP | THANKSGIVING BREAK | K ~ SIXTH (6th) - Patch.com - November 27th, 2020
- How Chess Helped Natan Sharansky Outlast the Soviet Union and Foster Jewish Unity - Algemeiner - November 26th, 2020
- CBS May Have to Cancel or Move The Talk in Ratings Chess Game to Keep Drew Barrymore Alive in the Afternoon - Showbiz411 - November 26th, 2020
- Online chess boom follows 'The Queen's Gambit' success - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 25th, 2020
- Chess Forums Imad Khachan Talks 25 Years on Thompson Street With @NewYorkNico - Curbed - November 25th, 2020
- "Glory to the Queen": A Tribute to the Georgian Queens of Chess - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Why Do Business Owners Sense They Are Playing Checkers in a Chess World? - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Kenya bounce back to thrash Libya after slow start to Online Chess Olympiad games - The Standard - November 25th, 2020
- 'Searching For Bobby Fischer' Is About This Young Chess Prodigy - But He Quit the Game and Here's Why - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 25th, 2020
- PHOTO: Mira Rajput shares a sneak peek of her 'queen' Mishas chess lessons; Says 'Never too young to start' - PINKVILLA - November 25th, 2020
- Battle of the Gigabrains: Vitalik Buterin to match wits with chess master - Cointelegraph - November 24th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Is the Forrest Gump of Chess - Vulture - November 24th, 2020
- Chess Set Sales Have Skyrocketed Thanks To 'The Queen's Gambit' On Netflix - NPR - November 21st, 2020
- Illinois Wesleyan University's Virtual Production of CHESS Premieres This Weekend - Broadway World - November 21st, 2020
- Washington state team crowned national chess champions - KING5.com - November 21st, 2020
- Introducing the new Skilling Open commentary teams and our slick TV studio - chess24 - November 21st, 2020
- Packers will have an interesting chess match against the Colts defense - Acme Packing Company - November 21st, 2020
- Play Chess With Beth Harmon from The Queen's Gambit - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - St. Louis Public Radio - November 20th, 2020
- So Defeats Duda With Incredible 3|1 Performance In Speed Chess - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- Mollies Feel-Good Feed: Mind mapping, a classic Icon and a game of chess - Marie Claire UK - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - Scottsbluff Star Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Checking in with chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov - Jewish Insider - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on Trump's final exit, vaccine side-effects and the infinite fascination of chess - expressandstar.com - November 20th, 2020
- CHESS Launches Cross Border Peace Initiative Between Liberia and Ivory Coast - Liberian Daily Observer - November 20th, 2020
- Brawl Chess - Gambit brings an old classic up to date on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch - TheXboxHub - November 20th, 2020
- Diane Francis: Putin is playing chess against the West and he's winning - Financial Post - November 18th, 2020
- How chess streaming became the favourite pandemic pastime - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Chess: Indias 14-year-old Leon Mendonca closes in on Grandmaster title with second norm in Hungary - Scroll.in - November 18th, 2020
- Chess, the great metaphor of the world - Pledge Times - November 18th, 2020
- Chess the Musical to perform at Perth Concert Hall after Netflix's The Queen's Gambit sparks cultural revival - The West Australian - November 18th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Will Debut at The Regent Theatre - Broadway World - November 16th, 2020
- Loansharking, fake test results and betting on chess: How organized crime has learned to thrive in the COVID-19 pandemic - Toronto Star - November 16th, 2020
- Power Book II: Ghost episode 6: New poster all about the chess... - CarterMatt - November 16th, 2020
- Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player ever? Not according to chess24's Hall of Fame - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- From chess match to streetfight: The world's courtrooms are the battleground for the future of fossil fuels - WorldOil - November 16th, 2020
- 2020 National Open Championship to be Held Online, November 21-22 - uschess.org - November 16th, 2020
- 'Chess The Musical' to be performed in Perth in 2021 - OUTinPerth - November 16th, 2020
- Will Trump quit? A chess master, pro poker player, boxing coach and Monopoly champ on the art of throwing in the towel - MarketWatch - November 12th, 2020
- Hundreds being introduced to chess | News - news-herald.net - November 12th, 2020
- Fujairah Chess and Culture Club adopts initiative to teach 20000 players basics of chess - Gulf Today - November 12th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 2) - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2020
- Grandmaster In The Making - Midweek - November 12th, 2020
- Stuart Rachels' remarkable run and a new look at chess streaks - Washington Times - November 11th, 2020
- Chinas Jack Ma: The chess game he refuses to lose in Africa - The Africa Report - November 8th, 2020
- Florida-Georgia game will be 'chess match' between Mullen, Smart - GatorBait.net - November 8th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen's Chess Tour Secures TV Deal With Eurosport - TEO - The Esports Observer - November 8th, 2020
- 'CHESS MINISERIES' MORE THRILLING THAN NETFLIX'S 'GOTHIC ROMANCE' - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - November 8th, 2020
- God, the elections, and 4-D chess - Christian Post - November 8th, 2020
- 10-year-old chess boy wonder wants to represent Philippines on world stage - Philstar.com - November 8th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: A Real-Life Chess Champion on Netflixs Addictive Hit - Vanity Fair - November 6th, 2020
- Fair play and good manners in chess - Chessbase News - November 5th, 2020
- Trump Isn't Playing 3-D Chess. He's Eating the Checker. - The Daily Beast - November 5th, 2020
- Lorenzo Marvin 'Mac' McNeal, 83, relished playing chess and Bid Whist - WYDaily - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess: Find the move that defeated a world champion - Financial Times - November 3rd, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' and more chess films worth checking out - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 3rd, 2020
- Rising star Anya Taylor-Joy takes on the challenge of chess in The Queen's Gambit - The West Australian - November 3rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: Chess Expert Bruce Pandolfini on Making the Matches Look Like the Real Thing - IndieWire - October 31st, 2020
- UAE Chess Champion to compete in Balinas Cup - PhilBoxing.com - October 31st, 2020
- ASX Extends Go-live of CHESS Replacement to April 2023 - Regulation Asia - October 30th, 2020
- Chess Corner: The Halloween Gambit - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - October 30th, 2020
- How to win at zhuolu chess in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII - Gamepur - October 30th, 2020
- How Queens Gambits VFX Team Crafted the Chess Moves - Variety - October 29th, 2020
- I Am Very Attracted to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as a Chess Cowboy on The Queen's Gambit - POPSUGAR - October 29th, 2020
- Karjakin Wins Oct. 27 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 29th, 2020
- Checkmate, mate! Australia are kings in the sport of chess - ABC News - October 29th, 2020
- Chess and bridge titles on the line at Mind Sports World University Championship - Insidethegames.biz - October 28th, 2020
- Cuba 1 at a good pace in world online university chess championship - OnCubaNews - October 28th, 2020
- Bacolod's Asuela rules NLEX Sports Battle of the Minds online chess tourney - PhilBoxing.com - October 28th, 2020
- Chess chiefs move to defeat rise in cheating as games move online in lockdown - The Sunday Post - October 28th, 2020
- CHESS speaker series set to host back-to-back events this week - Gannonknight - October 28th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020