The reigning World Champion Magnus Carlsen has been ranked only second behind Garry Kasparov, while Bobby Fischer is third in the full Hall of Fame that is revealed on chess24 today. The complete list of the 50 greatest players of all times comes as the Norwegian World Champion prepares to play in the Skilling Open, the first event on the $1.5 million Champions Chess Tour. That action kicks off next Sunday, November 22nd.
Today chess24 can reveal the players who topped the list of the50 Greatest Players of All Time, according to our expert panel, grandmasters Jan Gustafsson and Peter Heine Nielsen. The duo ranked the best players in the world in a popular video series where the names were gradually revealed over the course of two months.
The video series, where each and every player on the list is discussed with a sample game, is available for free for Premium members.
Get40% off Premium-membershipwith the code Carlsen40
Using chess statistician Jeff Sonas' Chessmetrics calculations as the basis for the list, the rankings have caused a huge debate among chess fans around the world, with the authors receiving both praise and criticisim. It's unlikely to end with this.
The duo concluded that 13th World Champion Garry Kasparov is the #1 Greatest Player of All Time. Magnus Carlsen, who snatched the World Championship title from Viswanathan Anand in 2013 and defended it in 2014, 2016 and 2018, is #2.
Peter Heine Nielsen, the Norwegian's second since the 2013 World Championship match, explained why they put Kasparov first:
There's just nothing to talk about, it's as simple as that. His World Championship record: five wins, one cancelled match, one drawn match and one loss. Basically six World Championship wins. Then come the world rankings, his 21 years and 11 months as number 1. That's just incredible! He defends his crown against very tough opposition most of the time, and he keeps his world number 1 spot for almost 22 years. He's dominant. At times he's just so much better. There's a famous Bareev quote. "How can it be that Kasparov is 90 points ahead of number two?", and Bareev said, "Yeah, there's something wrong. He should be much further ahead!" It's clear he's the strongest player in the history of time.
Commenting afterwards he added of Kasparov spending 255 months at number 1 compared to Carlsen's current 124 months:
As unfair as that might be towards a 29-year-old to have to compete with, in a historical context it matters. Jan and I see it as today being the cut-off - there is no debate.
Many chess fans still consider Bobby Fischer, who became World Champion by beating Boris Spassky in the famous 1972 World Championship match in Reykjavik, as the greatest ever. Gustafsson and Nielsen disagree:
Fischer was an incredible player. That he is "only" no. 3 comes from having won just 1 World Championship match. His dominant run to take the throne was done in an incredible manner, and he was the strongest player in the world for quite some years before that according to Sonas. Which all adds up for us to be enough to get ahead of other multiple champions, but not to surpass Magnus and Kasparov.
In August, Garry Kasparov himself made a statement that generated some debate among chess fans, claiming he faced tougher opposition back when he competed in the 1990s.
Im not trying to undermine Magnus opponents, with all respect to top players today, but I still can hardly see the same competition I experienced, especially in the 90s. Lets set aside my matches with Karpov and Karpovs generation, but then I had to compete with the next generation, its Vishy, Vasyl Ivanchuk, Borya Gelfand, and then the younger generation of Kramnik, Judit and Peter Svidler. I was still winning tournaments playing younger players and many of them were great players, just mention Vishy and Kramnik, two other World Champions. Im still not seeing the same competition against Magnus today, and while I thought for a moment about Ding or maybe Caruana, they dont show the same kind of class and continuity as Vishy or Kramnik 20 or 25 years ago.
Speaking to Tania Sachdev, Carlsen later responded to the comments saying he thinks it's too early to judge in a historical perspective:
I think I am not the right person to answer that. One thing that should be noted is that these things are sort of easier to judge after people's careers are over. There are a lot of people today whose careers are only starting, so to judge them in a historical perspective is not so easy.
Carlsen went on to explain that he is impressed by how well players from the previous generation, such as Viswanathan Anand, Vladimir Kramnik, Boris Gelfand and Vasily Ivanchuk, were able to compete with the much younger players.
Where I am going with this is that you've got to see where the current crop of players compare to the next that is coming up. That's the main takeaway. Before that, it's too early to say. For now, I am just trying to beat whoever is there obviously.
Here are the top 5:
5. Alexander Alekhine4. Emanuel Lasker3. Bobby Fischer2. Magnus Carlsen1. Garry Kasparov
Of the most recent generation, Vladimir Kramnik made it to number 11, while Viswanathan Anand is 9th, ahead of Paul Morphy in 10th, but behind Mikhail Botvinnik in 8th, Jos Raul Capablanca in 7th and Anatoly Karpov in 6th.
Asked about the most difficult on the list, Nielsen says:
Morphy stands out as the most "odd". One can make a case for number 1, or for considerably lower on the list. Basically he is the "Fischer problem" to the extreme. There is an argument for his being even more dominant, but also that his career was considerably shorter.With him and others there have been varying opinions among the critics. We take it as a good sign that opinions differ in both directions and that we have landed on the reasonable compromise such a list should reflect.
On Sunday November 22nd, Carlsen will join 15 other elite chess stars in the Skilling Open, the first event of the $1.5 million Champions Chess Tour.
12 of the 16 players have so far been announced:
The event will be broadcast in 9 languages on chess24, but also worldwide to 60 countries via Eurosport and live on television in Norway on the TV 2 channel.
Read the original:
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021
- Recruiting Chess Match: Huskies Have Missouri TE on Their Board - Sports Illustrated - February 15th, 2021
- xQc Is Going to Use His Expensive New PC to Play Chess and Browser Games - EssentiallySports - February 15th, 2021
- Our Collective Chess Match: What Our Editors Are Reading - Sojourners - February 15th, 2021
- Advanced chess with John Gallagher | Calendar | scarsdalenews.com - scarsdalenews.com - February 15th, 2021
- Across the MMA Universe: Kamaru Usman on UFC 258 'Chess Match' - Bleacher Report - February 15th, 2021
- More than 140 inmates will participate in virtual Chess Tournament - Dominican Today - February 15th, 2021
- Young Canadian chess stars lead drive to popularize the royal game on Twitch - Ottawa Citizen - February 15th, 2021