George Washington could have run for re-election until he died, but had he stayed put for a third term the country probably wouldnt have seen its third century nor would Lin-Manuel Miranda have written a song about it. This peaceful transfer of power was and is the radical idea at the heart of American democracy.
That doesnt mean its easy. Losing money is more painful to us than gaining it is pleasurable, behavioral economists have shown. This loss aversion may be doubly true when it comes to power.
President Donald Trump seems to be running out of moves on the electoral game board, but so far he has shown no inclination to give up. To make sense of the guy from Queens gambit, MarketWatch sought the advice of experts in the art and science of throwing in the towel: a chess master, boxing coach, poker player and the U.S. Monopoly champion.
Presidential politics is not a game, of course, but sports and competition can provide insight into the when and how of conceding defeat.
Bruce Pandolfini, famed chess teacher, coach and author (a consultant on Netflixs The Queens Gambit)
Chess is one of the few games in which conceding defeat is an important move; a player may announce their intention to resign, or merely topple over their king.
Top players resign because they have been beaten, outwitted, Pandolfini, 73, told MarketWatch.
You dont keep fighting when your situation is hopeless, and you have far less than a 1% chance of overturning things. Its kind of an insult to the game not to resign.
This often happens many moves before the end, when the checkmate is still in the mail.
There are people you just dont even want to play because they are such unpleasant losers. But most serious players do accept the conditions of professional play and resign in some acceptable manner.
When I was young I was playing a grandmaster and I continued in a position well after I knew I had lost I eventually did lose, Pandolfini said. The grandmaster said to me, Didnt you see that? I was a bit of a wise guy kid, though, and said, I wanted to see if you had seen it.
An unwillingness to resign is more common among young players, said Pandolfini, who has coached his share.
You wouldnt want to have a youngster give up so easily. That would signify a lack of fighting spirit, he said. You dont want to see a weakening of that resolve. Most youngsters do continue beyond the points they would resign as older, more mature players.
What possesses a player to stay in when the situation is hopeless?
Well, there are people you just dont even want to play because they are such unpleasant losers, Pandolfini said. Even in the world of serious chess. But most serious players do accept the conditions of professional play and resign in some acceptable manner.
Brian Valentine, reigning U.S. Monopoly champion and an assistant high-school principal
Playing Monopoly until the bitter end is more than most people can handle, with the exception perhaps of 12-year-old slumlords who, like pint-sized Mr. Potters, savor every moment of impoverishing their parents and siblings.
You know youve lost when you see the pitfalls of other players houses and hotels are outweighing your cash on hand and the odds of evading them with the dice, said Monopoly champ Brian Valentine, who may be the only person in America who has done more buying, selling and mortgaging of Atlantic City real estate than Trump.
In a family game, this is when its time to fold, he said. (Though others prefer to flip over the board, send dogs, hats, railroads and cash flying, in a dramatic rage-quit.)
But conceding defeat is not really an option in tournament play, Valentine said. You have to play to the end, because there is an actual time limit.
When the game seems hopeless, sometimes players get a hot hand with the dice, Valentine said. I have seen people kangaroo hopping all over the board, but this is not just a game of luck and very rarely does the evasion of having to pay a lot of money also correspond with you being able to gain money and build up simultaneously.
Trump just landed on Chance in the late stages of the game, knowing the only card left in the deck is Advance to Boardwalk. And Boardwalk has a hotel on it.
Top players know the odds, they know which Chance or Community Chest cards are still in the deck, and whether their only hope is beating the clock, Valentine said. I guess the analog in the present is whether in December when the electors vote or by January when there is an inauguration, eventually you are going to run up against the time limit.
There are some players who get erratic and unsportsmanlike in such situations, proposing absurdly lopsided deals as if they arent in a hopeless situation.
At the highest levels. though, there is a certain level of honor and dignity, he said. You have to respect the rules of the game, which have been in place for 86 years.
As for what Trumps Monopoly board looks like at the moment, Valentine considered a few scenarios before settling on this: Hes just landed on Chance in the late stages of the game, knowing the only card left in the deck is Advance to Boardwalk, he said. And Boardwalk has a hotel on it.
Asher Conniff, professional poker player
Poker at its core is a math game. Based on their cards, players calculate what percentage chance they have to win while weighing other factors like what cards could come next or what cards their opponents may have.
But poker is an emotional game, too, and reading situations based on the temperature of the room is essential.
There is a fair amount thats math, Conniff, 32, told MarketWatch. But some of it is just reading people.
Trump has nothing to lose. The party may have something to lose, and even thats debatable. Its what we call a free roll. He might as well try to win and if he loses he just kind of goes home. Hes not betting anything.
Conniff, who has been playing poker professionally for eight years, said that knowing when to get out can sometimes be the best skill a player could have.
One of the truest sayings in poker is, If you cant spot the fish, youre the fish.
A poker player deemed a fish is somebody who is not a seasoned player and who will likely have lost when the game is over.
So is Trump a fish in the 2020 election poker game? Not exactly, according to Conniff.
One of the great differences here is that he has nothing to lose. The party may have something to lose, and even thats debatable. Its what we call a free roll, Conniff explained. He might as well try to win and if he loses he just kind of goes home. Hes not betting anything.
Ryan OLeary, boxing coach, former member of the board of directors for USA Boxing, former New York national team and New York Golden Gloves coach
Boxing is one of the few major sports where the participants have an opportunity to end the match prematurely. Knowing when a fighter has taken enough of a beating, or when he or she has no opportunity to win is something that is a top concern for boxing coaches.
Sometimes my boxer gets pissed at me, and sometimes they understand, OLeary, 48, told MarketWatch. But either way my job is to make sure they come out of there safe.
If he knows his fighter is taking a beating and can no longer win the fight, OLeary will not hesitate to make a move.
Its time for [Trump] to just throw in the towel; he doesnt have a punchers chance.
I will always stop a fight if I feel like my boxer is not in it.
Assessing whether a fighter still has a chance can be difficult. One reason for that is what OLeary calls the punchers chance.
I had a guy, he was outboxed in the first two rounds, completely outclassed, but the kid he was fighting had no punch at all, he wasnt hurting my guy. My guy was getting outboxed, and I was pretty sure he was going to continue to get outboxed. But my guy was a hard puncher, so he had a punchers chance. If he landed the right punch at the right time, he probably could have taken out this prospect. We lost practically every round, but he was in the fight the whole time.
When asked whether or not Trump still has a punchers chance in the 2020 election fight, OLeary said: Do I think he can pull this out? Theres no way at this point. Its time for him to just throw in the towel; he doesnt have a punchers chance. Hes defeated now.
Read the original:
- Are Computers That Win at Chess Smarter Than Geniuses? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 27th, 2020
- Chess team eye qualification - The Herald - November 27th, 2020
- Local Event: ONLINE CHINESE CHESS CAMP | THANKSGIVING BREAK | K ~ SIXTH (6th) - Patch.com - November 27th, 2020
- How Chess Helped Natan Sharansky Outlast the Soviet Union and Foster Jewish Unity - Algemeiner - November 26th, 2020
- CBS May Have to Cancel or Move The Talk in Ratings Chess Game to Keep Drew Barrymore Alive in the Afternoon - Showbiz411 - November 26th, 2020
- Online chess boom follows 'The Queen's Gambit' success - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 25th, 2020
- Chess Forums Imad Khachan Talks 25 Years on Thompson Street With @NewYorkNico - Curbed - November 25th, 2020
- "Glory to the Queen": A Tribute to the Georgian Queens of Chess - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Why Do Business Owners Sense They Are Playing Checkers in a Chess World? - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Kenya bounce back to thrash Libya after slow start to Online Chess Olympiad games - The Standard - November 25th, 2020
- 'Searching For Bobby Fischer' Is About This Young Chess Prodigy - But He Quit the Game and Here's Why - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 25th, 2020
- PHOTO: Mira Rajput shares a sneak peek of her 'queen' Mishas chess lessons; Says 'Never too young to start' - PINKVILLA - November 25th, 2020
- Battle of the Gigabrains: Vitalik Buterin to match wits with chess master - Cointelegraph - November 24th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Is the Forrest Gump of Chess - Vulture - November 24th, 2020
- Chess Set Sales Have Skyrocketed Thanks To 'The Queen's Gambit' On Netflix - NPR - November 21st, 2020
- Illinois Wesleyan University's Virtual Production of CHESS Premieres This Weekend - Broadway World - November 21st, 2020
- Washington state team crowned national chess champions - KING5.com - November 21st, 2020
- Introducing the new Skilling Open commentary teams and our slick TV studio - chess24 - November 21st, 2020
- Packers will have an interesting chess match against the Colts defense - Acme Packing Company - November 21st, 2020
- Play Chess With Beth Harmon from The Queen's Gambit - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - St. Louis Public Radio - November 20th, 2020
- So Defeats Duda With Incredible 3|1 Performance In Speed Chess - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- Mollies Feel-Good Feed: Mind mapping, a classic Icon and a game of chess - Marie Claire UK - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - Scottsbluff Star Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Checking in with chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov - Jewish Insider - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on Trump's final exit, vaccine side-effects and the infinite fascination of chess - expressandstar.com - November 20th, 2020
- CHESS Launches Cross Border Peace Initiative Between Liberia and Ivory Coast - Liberian Daily Observer - November 20th, 2020
- Brawl Chess - Gambit brings an old classic up to date on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch - TheXboxHub - November 20th, 2020
- Diane Francis: Putin is playing chess against the West and he's winning - Financial Post - November 18th, 2020
- How chess streaming became the favourite pandemic pastime - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Chess: Indias 14-year-old Leon Mendonca closes in on Grandmaster title with second norm in Hungary - Scroll.in - November 18th, 2020
- Chess, the great metaphor of the world - Pledge Times - November 18th, 2020
- Chess the Musical to perform at Perth Concert Hall after Netflix's The Queen's Gambit sparks cultural revival - The West Australian - November 18th, 2020
- Lancaster Chess Soc embroiled in brutal civil war after president is accused of cheating - The Tab - November 18th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Will Debut at The Regent Theatre - Broadway World - November 16th, 2020
- Loansharking, fake test results and betting on chess: How organized crime has learned to thrive in the COVID-19 pandemic - Toronto Star - November 16th, 2020
- Power Book II: Ghost episode 6: New poster all about the chess... - CarterMatt - November 16th, 2020
- Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player ever? Not according to chess24's Hall of Fame - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- From chess match to streetfight: The world's courtrooms are the battleground for the future of fossil fuels - WorldOil - November 16th, 2020
- 2020 National Open Championship to be Held Online, November 21-22 - uschess.org - November 16th, 2020
- 'Chess The Musical' to be performed in Perth in 2021 - OUTinPerth - November 16th, 2020
- Hundreds being introduced to chess | News - news-herald.net - November 12th, 2020
- Fujairah Chess and Culture Club adopts initiative to teach 20000 players basics of chess - Gulf Today - November 12th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 2) - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2020
- Grandmaster In The Making - Midweek - November 12th, 2020
- Stuart Rachels' remarkable run and a new look at chess streaks - Washington Times - November 11th, 2020
- Chinas Jack Ma: The chess game he refuses to lose in Africa - The Africa Report - November 8th, 2020
- Florida-Georgia game will be 'chess match' between Mullen, Smart - GatorBait.net - November 8th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen's Chess Tour Secures TV Deal With Eurosport - TEO - The Esports Observer - November 8th, 2020
- 'CHESS MINISERIES' MORE THRILLING THAN NETFLIX'S 'GOTHIC ROMANCE' - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - November 8th, 2020
- God, the elections, and 4-D chess - Christian Post - November 8th, 2020
- 10-year-old chess boy wonder wants to represent Philippines on world stage - Philstar.com - November 8th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: A Real-Life Chess Champion on Netflixs Addictive Hit - Vanity Fair - November 6th, 2020
- Fair play and good manners in chess - Chessbase News - November 5th, 2020
- Trump Isn't Playing 3-D Chess. He's Eating the Checker. - The Daily Beast - November 5th, 2020
- Lorenzo Marvin 'Mac' McNeal, 83, relished playing chess and Bid Whist - WYDaily - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess: Find the move that defeated a world champion - Financial Times - November 3rd, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' and more chess films worth checking out - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 3rd, 2020
- Rising star Anya Taylor-Joy takes on the challenge of chess in The Queen's Gambit - The West Australian - November 3rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: Chess Expert Bruce Pandolfini on Making the Matches Look Like the Real Thing - IndieWire - October 31st, 2020
- UAE Chess Champion to compete in Balinas Cup - PhilBoxing.com - October 31st, 2020
- ASX Extends Go-live of CHESS Replacement to April 2023 - Regulation Asia - October 30th, 2020
- Chess Corner: The Halloween Gambit - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - October 30th, 2020
- How to win at zhuolu chess in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII - Gamepur - October 30th, 2020
- How Queens Gambits VFX Team Crafted the Chess Moves - Variety - October 29th, 2020
- I Am Very Attracted to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as a Chess Cowboy on The Queen's Gambit - POPSUGAR - October 29th, 2020
- Karjakin Wins Oct. 27 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 29th, 2020
- Checkmate, mate! Australia are kings in the sport of chess - ABC News - October 29th, 2020
- Chess and bridge titles on the line at Mind Sports World University Championship - Insidethegames.biz - October 28th, 2020
- Cuba 1 at a good pace in world online university chess championship - OnCubaNews - October 28th, 2020
- Bacolod's Asuela rules NLEX Sports Battle of the Minds online chess tourney - PhilBoxing.com - October 28th, 2020
- Chess chiefs move to defeat rise in cheating as games move online in lockdown - The Sunday Post - October 28th, 2020
- CHESS speaker series set to host back-to-back events this week - Gannonknight - October 28th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020