George Washington could have run for re-election until he died, but had he stayed put for a third term the country probably wouldnt have seen its third century nor would Lin-Manuel Miranda have written a song about it. This peaceful transfer of power was and is the radical idea at the heart of American democracy.
That doesnt mean its easy. Losing money is more painful to us than gaining it is pleasurable, behavioral economists have shown. This loss aversion may be doubly true when it comes to power.
President Donald Trump seems to be running out of moves on the electoral game board, but so far he has shown no inclination to give up. To make sense of the guy from Queens gambit, MarketWatch sought the advice of experts in the art and science of throwing in the towel: a chess master, boxing coach, poker player and the U.S. Monopoly champion.
Presidential politics is not a game, of course, but sports and competition can provide insight into the when and how of conceding defeat.
Bruce Pandolfini, famed chess teacher, coach and author (a consultant on Netflixs The Queens Gambit)
Chess is one of the few games in which conceding defeat is an important move; a player may announce their intention to resign, or merely topple over their king.
Top players resign because they have been beaten, outwitted, Pandolfini, 73, told MarketWatch.
You dont keep fighting when your situation is hopeless, and you have far less than a 1% chance of overturning things. Its kind of an insult to the game not to resign.
This often happens many moves before the end, when the checkmate is still in the mail.
There are people you just dont even want to play because they are such unpleasant losers. But most serious players do accept the conditions of professional play and resign in some acceptable manner.
When I was young I was playing a grandmaster and I continued in a position well after I knew I had lost I eventually did lose, Pandolfini said. The grandmaster said to me, Didnt you see that? I was a bit of a wise guy kid, though, and said, I wanted to see if you had seen it.
An unwillingness to resign is more common among young players, said Pandolfini, who has coached his share.
You wouldnt want to have a youngster give up so easily. That would signify a lack of fighting spirit, he said. You dont want to see a weakening of that resolve. Most youngsters do continue beyond the points they would resign as older, more mature players.
What possesses a player to stay in when the situation is hopeless?
Well, there are people you just dont even want to play because they are such unpleasant losers, Pandolfini said. Even in the world of serious chess. But most serious players do accept the conditions of professional play and resign in some acceptable manner.
Brian Valentine, reigning U.S. Monopoly champion and an assistant high-school principal
Playing Monopoly until the bitter end is more than most people can handle, with the exception perhaps of 12-year-old slumlords who, like pint-sized Mr. Potters, savor every moment of impoverishing their parents and siblings.
You know youve lost when you see the pitfalls of other players houses and hotels are outweighing your cash on hand and the odds of evading them with the dice, said Monopoly champ Brian Valentine, who may be the only person in America who has done more buying, selling and mortgaging of Atlantic City real estate than Trump.
In a family game, this is when its time to fold, he said. (Though others prefer to flip over the board, send dogs, hats, railroads and cash flying, in a dramatic rage-quit.)
But conceding defeat is not really an option in tournament play, Valentine said. You have to play to the end, because there is an actual time limit.
When the game seems hopeless, sometimes players get a hot hand with the dice, Valentine said. I have seen people kangaroo hopping all over the board, but this is not just a game of luck and very rarely does the evasion of having to pay a lot of money also correspond with you being able to gain money and build up simultaneously.
Trump just landed on Chance in the late stages of the game, knowing the only card left in the deck is Advance to Boardwalk. And Boardwalk has a hotel on it.
Top players know the odds, they know which Chance or Community Chest cards are still in the deck, and whether their only hope is beating the clock, Valentine said. I guess the analog in the present is whether in December when the electors vote or by January when there is an inauguration, eventually you are going to run up against the time limit.
There are some players who get erratic and unsportsmanlike in such situations, proposing absurdly lopsided deals as if they arent in a hopeless situation.
At the highest levels. though, there is a certain level of honor and dignity, he said. You have to respect the rules of the game, which have been in place for 86 years.
As for what Trumps Monopoly board looks like at the moment, Valentine considered a few scenarios before settling on this: Hes just landed on Chance in the late stages of the game, knowing the only card left in the deck is Advance to Boardwalk, he said. And Boardwalk has a hotel on it.
Asher Conniff, professional poker player
Poker at its core is a math game. Based on their cards, players calculate what percentage chance they have to win while weighing other factors like what cards could come next or what cards their opponents may have.
But poker is an emotional game, too, and reading situations based on the temperature of the room is essential.
There is a fair amount thats math, Conniff, 32, told MarketWatch. But some of it is just reading people.
Trump has nothing to lose. The party may have something to lose, and even thats debatable. Its what we call a free roll. He might as well try to win and if he loses he just kind of goes home. Hes not betting anything.
Conniff, who has been playing poker professionally for eight years, said that knowing when to get out can sometimes be the best skill a player could have.
One of the truest sayings in poker is, If you cant spot the fish, youre the fish.
A poker player deemed a fish is somebody who is not a seasoned player and who will likely have lost when the game is over.
So is Trump a fish in the 2020 election poker game? Not exactly, according to Conniff.
One of the great differences here is that he has nothing to lose. The party may have something to lose, and even thats debatable. Its what we call a free roll, Conniff explained. He might as well try to win and if he loses he just kind of goes home. Hes not betting anything.
Ryan OLeary, boxing coach, former member of the board of directors for USA Boxing, former New York national team and New York Golden Gloves coach
Boxing is one of the few major sports where the participants have an opportunity to end the match prematurely. Knowing when a fighter has taken enough of a beating, or when he or she has no opportunity to win is something that is a top concern for boxing coaches.
Sometimes my boxer gets pissed at me, and sometimes they understand, OLeary, 48, told MarketWatch. But either way my job is to make sure they come out of there safe.
If he knows his fighter is taking a beating and can no longer win the fight, OLeary will not hesitate to make a move.
Its time for [Trump] to just throw in the towel; he doesnt have a punchers chance.
I will always stop a fight if I feel like my boxer is not in it.
Assessing whether a fighter still has a chance can be difficult. One reason for that is what OLeary calls the punchers chance.
I had a guy, he was outboxed in the first two rounds, completely outclassed, but the kid he was fighting had no punch at all, he wasnt hurting my guy. My guy was getting outboxed, and I was pretty sure he was going to continue to get outboxed. But my guy was a hard puncher, so he had a punchers chance. If he landed the right punch at the right time, he probably could have taken out this prospect. We lost practically every round, but he was in the fight the whole time.
When asked whether or not Trump still has a punchers chance in the 2020 election fight, OLeary said: Do I think he can pull this out? Theres no way at this point. Its time for him to just throw in the towel; he doesnt have a punchers chance. Hes defeated now.
Read the original:
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021
- Recruiting Chess Match: Huskies Have Missouri TE on Their Board - Sports Illustrated - February 15th, 2021
- xQc Is Going to Use His Expensive New PC to Play Chess and Browser Games - EssentiallySports - February 15th, 2021
- Our Collective Chess Match: What Our Editors Are Reading - Sojourners - February 15th, 2021
- Advanced chess with John Gallagher | Calendar | scarsdalenews.com - scarsdalenews.com - February 15th, 2021
- Across the MMA Universe: Kamaru Usman on UFC 258 'Chess Match' - Bleacher Report - February 15th, 2021
- More than 140 inmates will participate in virtual Chess Tournament - Dominican Today - February 15th, 2021
- Young Canadian chess stars lead drive to popularize the royal game on Twitch - Ottawa Citizen - February 15th, 2021