on November 11, 2020 at 11:48 am
Mark Chen, 12, begins his reign as the youngest state chess champion in Hawaii history.
The initiative is a physical manifestation of a psychological battle, Mark Chen recites, sounding far older and wiser than his 12 years would suggest.
The quote is from How to Reassess Your Chess by International Master Jeremy Silman. It is a reflection of how Chen admires a chess game that begins with purpose, aggression and a strong agenda.
He later elaborates, Its very true because its not all about your skill. Chess is amazing because its so many things. Its like a sport. You have to be able to sit at a board for hours on end my longest game was six hours and lasted past midnight. Its an art. Its a beautiful game that you can learn to appreciate. It is also a science, as you need to calculate all possibilities accurately many moves ahead.
Readers, let MidWeek introduce Hawaiis youngest-ever state chess champion.
It began for the Punahou School eighth-grader at the ripe old age of 5. His older brother, Michael, had joined a summer school club about chess, and Chen couldnt resist giving it a try, too as little brothers are wont to do.
From there, he entered his first scholastic-level tournament at age 6, won the Hawaii K-3 Championship at age 8, and entered his first mainland chess tournament at age 10 (and took home the Hawaii K-8 Championship title that year, too).
Other Chen achievements at the ripe old age of 10: Winning $4,000 in prize money (and first place) in the U1500 division in the 2018 National Open and representing the state at the Barber K-8 State Champion Invitational Chess Tournament (the latter of which he repeated this year, too).
Then, of course, this years state win.
Mark Chen at the 2018 National Open in Las Vegas. PHOTO COURTESY THE CHEN FAMILY
Chen was able to cruise to two early victories, but he stumbled against former state champion and No. 1 seed Damian Nash. The loss, however, helped him relax and win in the fourth round, leaving him to face No. 2 seed Charles Sonido for the title.
The Hawaii Kai resident is, in fact, a U.S. Chess Federation Category 2 player, with a Blitz rating in the top 50 for the Under Age 13 category.
That, at least, is what the record shows.
Chens attitude is what explains why the stats are what they are.
He says he tries to spend about two hours a day studying or practicing chess an average of 14 hours a week but if he isnt feeling it, he isnt feeling it.
If youre going to play at a more competitive, higher level, its not just being able to work hard. Its knowing how to work hard, and how to use your time effectively. Spending the time is not as important as producing quality work. And most importantly, have fun.
Mark Chens first scholastic tournament at age 6. PHOTO COURTESY THE CHEN FAMILY
He currently studies with Ukrainian International Grandmaster Andriy Vovk weekly via Skype. The two will review past games to see what decisions were made, and why they did or didnt work.
Thats one of the biggest life lessons about chess: learning from your mistakes and other peoples mistakes, Chen says.
And naturally, Chen is keen on improving his game and adding a national title to his collection.
I want to continue developing and playing at a higher level, he says modestly, noting that the mainland chess scene is more serious and competitive than the largely scholastic-focused environment here.
What is striking about Chen, however, is the way he returns, like a compass, to the qualities of decisiveness and control.
His two favorite players, he says, are Mikhail Tal and Gary Kasparov both known for their aggressive, sharp styles of play.
He prefers to play white because you can decide what the openings going to be, for a certain part you can decide where the games going to go.
When he explains his philosophy, it all makes sense.
You always gotta learn from your mistakes, learn from other peoples mistakes. You gotta continue improving yourself. You have to keep looking ahead and plan whats going to happen, what are the consequences, what youre going to do.
With that kind of razor-sharp foresight, the idea of Mark Chen, youngest-ever grandmaster from Hawaii, doesnt seem too far off.
Away from the chessboard, Mark Chen is a pretty ordinary kid as ordinary as someone like him could be, at least.
He plays piano, swims for Punahou Aquatics and is a member of the math club.
While hes not one for movies or TV shows (not even chess-related ones), he does like reading the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. And, of course, hes played Among Us with his friends (like all of us have, too).
His favorite food is his moms dumplings, and if he could travel anywhere safely, hed love to stop at New York (where he was born), California (where hes been but didnt get a chance to explore) and Saint Louis (the chess capital of the U.S.).
Photos by Lawrence Tabudlo
- Are Computers That Win at Chess Smarter Than Geniuses? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 27th, 2020
- Chess team eye qualification - The Herald - November 27th, 2020
- Local Event: ONLINE CHINESE CHESS CAMP | THANKSGIVING BREAK | K ~ SIXTH (6th) - Patch.com - November 27th, 2020
- How Chess Helped Natan Sharansky Outlast the Soviet Union and Foster Jewish Unity - Algemeiner - November 26th, 2020
- CBS May Have to Cancel or Move The Talk in Ratings Chess Game to Keep Drew Barrymore Alive in the Afternoon - Showbiz411 - November 26th, 2020
- Online chess boom follows 'The Queen's Gambit' success - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 25th, 2020
- Chess Forums Imad Khachan Talks 25 Years on Thompson Street With @NewYorkNico - Curbed - November 25th, 2020
- "Glory to the Queen": A Tribute to the Georgian Queens of Chess - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Why Do Business Owners Sense They Are Playing Checkers in a Chess World? - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Kenya bounce back to thrash Libya after slow start to Online Chess Olympiad games - The Standard - November 25th, 2020
- 'Searching For Bobby Fischer' Is About This Young Chess Prodigy - But He Quit the Game and Here's Why - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 25th, 2020
- PHOTO: Mira Rajput shares a sneak peek of her 'queen' Mishas chess lessons; Says 'Never too young to start' - PINKVILLA - November 25th, 2020
- Battle of the Gigabrains: Vitalik Buterin to match wits with chess master - Cointelegraph - November 24th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Is the Forrest Gump of Chess - Vulture - November 24th, 2020
- Chess Set Sales Have Skyrocketed Thanks To 'The Queen's Gambit' On Netflix - NPR - November 21st, 2020
- Illinois Wesleyan University's Virtual Production of CHESS Premieres This Weekend - Broadway World - November 21st, 2020
- Washington state team crowned national chess champions - KING5.com - November 21st, 2020
- Introducing the new Skilling Open commentary teams and our slick TV studio - chess24 - November 21st, 2020
- Packers will have an interesting chess match against the Colts defense - Acme Packing Company - November 21st, 2020
- Play Chess With Beth Harmon from The Queen's Gambit - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - St. Louis Public Radio - November 20th, 2020
- So Defeats Duda With Incredible 3|1 Performance In Speed Chess - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- Mollies Feel-Good Feed: Mind mapping, a classic Icon and a game of chess - Marie Claire UK - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - Scottsbluff Star Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Checking in with chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov - Jewish Insider - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on Trump's final exit, vaccine side-effects and the infinite fascination of chess - expressandstar.com - November 20th, 2020
- CHESS Launches Cross Border Peace Initiative Between Liberia and Ivory Coast - Liberian Daily Observer - November 20th, 2020
- Brawl Chess - Gambit brings an old classic up to date on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch - TheXboxHub - November 20th, 2020
- Diane Francis: Putin is playing chess against the West and he's winning - Financial Post - November 18th, 2020
- How chess streaming became the favourite pandemic pastime - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Chess: Indias 14-year-old Leon Mendonca closes in on Grandmaster title with second norm in Hungary - Scroll.in - November 18th, 2020
- Chess, the great metaphor of the world - Pledge Times - November 18th, 2020
- Chess the Musical to perform at Perth Concert Hall after Netflix's The Queen's Gambit sparks cultural revival - The West Australian - November 18th, 2020
- Lancaster Chess Soc embroiled in brutal civil war after president is accused of cheating - The Tab - November 18th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Will Debut at The Regent Theatre - Broadway World - November 16th, 2020
- Loansharking, fake test results and betting on chess: How organized crime has learned to thrive in the COVID-19 pandemic - Toronto Star - November 16th, 2020
- Power Book II: Ghost episode 6: New poster all about the chess... - CarterMatt - November 16th, 2020
- Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player ever? Not according to chess24's Hall of Fame - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- From chess match to streetfight: The world's courtrooms are the battleground for the future of fossil fuels - WorldOil - November 16th, 2020
- 2020 National Open Championship to be Held Online, November 21-22 - uschess.org - November 16th, 2020
- 'Chess The Musical' to be performed in Perth in 2021 - OUTinPerth - November 16th, 2020
- Will Trump quit? A chess master, pro poker player, boxing coach and Monopoly champ on the art of throwing in the towel - MarketWatch - November 12th, 2020
- Hundreds being introduced to chess | News - news-herald.net - November 12th, 2020
- Fujairah Chess and Culture Club adopts initiative to teach 20000 players basics of chess - Gulf Today - November 12th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 2) - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2020
- Stuart Rachels' remarkable run and a new look at chess streaks - Washington Times - November 11th, 2020
- Chinas Jack Ma: The chess game he refuses to lose in Africa - The Africa Report - November 8th, 2020
- Florida-Georgia game will be 'chess match' between Mullen, Smart - GatorBait.net - November 8th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen's Chess Tour Secures TV Deal With Eurosport - TEO - The Esports Observer - November 8th, 2020
- 'CHESS MINISERIES' MORE THRILLING THAN NETFLIX'S 'GOTHIC ROMANCE' - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - November 8th, 2020
- God, the elections, and 4-D chess - Christian Post - November 8th, 2020
- 10-year-old chess boy wonder wants to represent Philippines on world stage - Philstar.com - November 8th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: A Real-Life Chess Champion on Netflixs Addictive Hit - Vanity Fair - November 6th, 2020
- Fair play and good manners in chess - Chessbase News - November 5th, 2020
- Trump Isn't Playing 3-D Chess. He's Eating the Checker. - The Daily Beast - November 5th, 2020
- Lorenzo Marvin 'Mac' McNeal, 83, relished playing chess and Bid Whist - WYDaily - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess: Find the move that defeated a world champion - Financial Times - November 3rd, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' and more chess films worth checking out - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 3rd, 2020
- Rising star Anya Taylor-Joy takes on the challenge of chess in The Queen's Gambit - The West Australian - November 3rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: Chess Expert Bruce Pandolfini on Making the Matches Look Like the Real Thing - IndieWire - October 31st, 2020
- UAE Chess Champion to compete in Balinas Cup - PhilBoxing.com - October 31st, 2020
- ASX Extends Go-live of CHESS Replacement to April 2023 - Regulation Asia - October 30th, 2020
- Chess Corner: The Halloween Gambit - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - October 30th, 2020
- How to win at zhuolu chess in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII - Gamepur - October 30th, 2020
- How Queens Gambits VFX Team Crafted the Chess Moves - Variety - October 29th, 2020
- I Am Very Attracted to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as a Chess Cowboy on The Queen's Gambit - POPSUGAR - October 29th, 2020
- Karjakin Wins Oct. 27 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 29th, 2020
- Checkmate, mate! Australia are kings in the sport of chess - ABC News - October 29th, 2020
- Chess and bridge titles on the line at Mind Sports World University Championship - Insidethegames.biz - October 28th, 2020
- Cuba 1 at a good pace in world online university chess championship - OnCubaNews - October 28th, 2020
- Bacolod's Asuela rules NLEX Sports Battle of the Minds online chess tourney - PhilBoxing.com - October 28th, 2020
- Chess chiefs move to defeat rise in cheating as games move online in lockdown - The Sunday Post - October 28th, 2020
- CHESS speaker series set to host back-to-back events this week - Gannonknight - October 28th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020