on November 11, 2020 at 11:48 am
Mark Chen, 12, begins his reign as the youngest state chess champion in Hawaii history.
The initiative is a physical manifestation of a psychological battle, Mark Chen recites, sounding far older and wiser than his 12 years would suggest.
The quote is from How to Reassess Your Chess by International Master Jeremy Silman. It is a reflection of how Chen admires a chess game that begins with purpose, aggression and a strong agenda.
He later elaborates, Its very true because its not all about your skill. Chess is amazing because its so many things. Its like a sport. You have to be able to sit at a board for hours on end my longest game was six hours and lasted past midnight. Its an art. Its a beautiful game that you can learn to appreciate. It is also a science, as you need to calculate all possibilities accurately many moves ahead.
Readers, let MidWeek introduce Hawaiis youngest-ever state chess champion.
It began for the Punahou School eighth-grader at the ripe old age of 5. His older brother, Michael, had joined a summer school club about chess, and Chen couldnt resist giving it a try, too as little brothers are wont to do.
From there, he entered his first scholastic-level tournament at age 6, won the Hawaii K-3 Championship at age 8, and entered his first mainland chess tournament at age 10 (and took home the Hawaii K-8 Championship title that year, too).
Other Chen achievements at the ripe old age of 10: Winning $4,000 in prize money (and first place) in the U1500 division in the 2018 National Open and representing the state at the Barber K-8 State Champion Invitational Chess Tournament (the latter of which he repeated this year, too).
Then, of course, this years state win.
Mark Chen at the 2018 National Open in Las Vegas. PHOTO COURTESY THE CHEN FAMILY
Chen was able to cruise to two early victories, but he stumbled against former state champion and No. 1 seed Damian Nash. The loss, however, helped him relax and win in the fourth round, leaving him to face No. 2 seed Charles Sonido for the title.
The Hawaii Kai resident is, in fact, a U.S. Chess Federation Category 2 player, with a Blitz rating in the top 50 for the Under Age 13 category.
That, at least, is what the record shows.
Chens attitude is what explains why the stats are what they are.
He says he tries to spend about two hours a day studying or practicing chess an average of 14 hours a week but if he isnt feeling it, he isnt feeling it.
If youre going to play at a more competitive, higher level, its not just being able to work hard. Its knowing how to work hard, and how to use your time effectively. Spending the time is not as important as producing quality work. And most importantly, have fun.
Mark Chens first scholastic tournament at age 6. PHOTO COURTESY THE CHEN FAMILY
He currently studies with Ukrainian International Grandmaster Andriy Vovk weekly via Skype. The two will review past games to see what decisions were made, and why they did or didnt work.
Thats one of the biggest life lessons about chess: learning from your mistakes and other peoples mistakes, Chen says.
And naturally, Chen is keen on improving his game and adding a national title to his collection.
I want to continue developing and playing at a higher level, he says modestly, noting that the mainland chess scene is more serious and competitive than the largely scholastic-focused environment here.
What is striking about Chen, however, is the way he returns, like a compass, to the qualities of decisiveness and control.
His two favorite players, he says, are Mikhail Tal and Gary Kasparov both known for their aggressive, sharp styles of play.
He prefers to play white because you can decide what the openings going to be, for a certain part you can decide where the games going to go.
When he explains his philosophy, it all makes sense.
You always gotta learn from your mistakes, learn from other peoples mistakes. You gotta continue improving yourself. You have to keep looking ahead and plan whats going to happen, what are the consequences, what youre going to do.
With that kind of razor-sharp foresight, the idea of Mark Chen, youngest-ever grandmaster from Hawaii, doesnt seem too far off.
Away from the chessboard, Mark Chen is a pretty ordinary kid as ordinary as someone like him could be, at least.
He plays piano, swims for Punahou Aquatics and is a member of the math club.
While hes not one for movies or TV shows (not even chess-related ones), he does like reading the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. And, of course, hes played Among Us with his friends (like all of us have, too).
His favorite food is his moms dumplings, and if he could travel anywhere safely, hed love to stop at New York (where he was born), California (where hes been but didnt get a chance to explore) and Saint Louis (the chess capital of the U.S.).
Photos by Lawrence Tabudlo
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021
- Recruiting Chess Match: Huskies Have Missouri TE on Their Board - Sports Illustrated - February 15th, 2021
- xQc Is Going to Use His Expensive New PC to Play Chess and Browser Games - EssentiallySports - February 15th, 2021
- Our Collective Chess Match: What Our Editors Are Reading - Sojourners - February 15th, 2021
- Advanced chess with John Gallagher | Calendar | scarsdalenews.com - scarsdalenews.com - February 15th, 2021
- Across the MMA Universe: Kamaru Usman on UFC 258 'Chess Match' - Bleacher Report - February 15th, 2021
- More than 140 inmates will participate in virtual Chess Tournament - Dominican Today - February 15th, 2021
- Young Canadian chess stars lead drive to popularize the royal game on Twitch - Ottawa Citizen - February 15th, 2021