In part two of her series on outdoor chess tables, WIM Alexey Root profiles organizers of rated outdoor tournaments in New York City, Chicago and Fremont, CA. Part one is available here.
At the Old Mission Park in Fremont, CA, 13-year-old Pranav Sairam ran two US Chess-rated outdoor tournaments on Saturday, Oct. 17: A four-player round robin G/60 d5 and a side blitz match of G/3+2. Pranav, an accomplished chess player coached by Grandmaster DejanBojkov, recently turned to tournament organization in order to find US Chess-rated games for himself and other chess players.
Pranav Sairam, left, organized two US Chess rated tournaments at the Old Mission Park in Fremont, CA in October.
Pranav was getting a little disappointed by not having any over-the-board tournaments to play in during the pandemic, said his father, SairamRamabadran. Sohe decided to do something aboutit, andgot himself certified as a TD over the summer. He started the San Jose Chess Club, organizing online rated tournaments through this affiliate before its first over-the-board tournament outdoors on October 17.
For that October 17 tournament, Pranav minimized COVID-19 risks.Ramabadrannoted, The picnic tables in the park were 10-15 feet apart. All participants were expected to wear gloves and face masks. The chess pieces were sanitized. Fresh disposable gloves, hand sanitizers, and wipes were provided at the venue.
Chess in the fresh air at Old Mission Park in Fremont, CA.
For CLO, Pranav annotates his second-round win.
The Lincoln Square Chess Club runs an US Chess-rated blitz tournament at Welles Park in Chicago.
US Chess Tournament Director of the Year Glenn Panner is using his chess expertise outdoors by assisting the Lincoln Square Chess Clubwith US Chess-rated blitz tournaments at Welles Park.
All players needed to wear masks, Panner said. In fact, we had a couple of volunteers monitoring that the masks were not onlyworn at all times, but that they also werent slipping beneath the players noses. Those volunteers were also in charge of disinfecting the boards, sets, clocks, and tables in between rounds.
US Chess TD of the Year Glenn Panner, in white, helps the Lincoln Square Chess Club run blitz tournaments in Welles Park in Chicago.
Even though some players were still hesitant to return to over-the-board chess, more decided to join once they saw the COVID-19 precautions in place. Panner saidGM YaroslavZherebukh, who lives only a couple of blocks away from Lincoln Square, joined one of the blitz tournaments. GMZherebukhblew through the field with a perfect 12-0 score!
Matthew Zatkoff, founder of the Lincoln Square club, addedI have been impressed by the cooperative spirit of the players. Without cooperation, our clubs COVID-19 safety rules would be of little use. I have had zero incidents regarding the following of the COVID-19 rules. Everyone wants to play over-the-board, and they are willing to do what it takes to make that happen. I had a few apprehensive players come on the first day. By the end of the first day, they said they felt safer than they would on a normal day going to the grocery store or walking around the streets. That's about as good as I think one could ask for!
New COVID safety rules were employed as players compete at Welles Park in Chicago.
NM Tyrell Harriotts website includes registration information for rated outdoor tournaments in Queens, at Cunningham Park. There are also rated outdoor tournaments at Washington Square Park, run on Wednesdays and Saturdays by Anthony Cheese Kozikowski and Eric Balck. Tournaments are four rounds of G/25 d5, and if there is rain on a scheduled day, the tournament is bumped to the following day.
Players enjoy chess outdoors at Cunningham Park in Queens.
Since August, these outdoor tournaments have supported players over-the-board rating ambitions. Harriott earned his Original Life Master title, defined as a National Master who has played 300 games with a rating over 2200, at the end of an outdoor tournament on National Chess Day, Oct. 10. Kozikowski is also trying for the Life Master title. Jessica Hyatt and Adia Onyango are two more participants who are striving to become National Masters.
Here is a game between the two NYC organizers that helped Harriott earn his Original Life Master title.
Tournaments start at 10 a.m., to avoid non-chess players taking up the park benches, Harriott said. Additionally, the early start means more daylight for visibility and warmth. Pairings and standings are posted online using my laptop and cellphone.
Safety precautions include masks and having hand sanitizers available and, for any player who feels things are too risky to attend, Harriott streams the tournaments on Facebook Live and Twitch channel. A video for a special tournament held on National Chess Dayis available here.
An outdoor chess tournament at Cunningham Park in New York City streamed live on Facebook.
When winter comes, most outdoor chess tables go dormant until spring. The organizers mentioned in this two-part series are already planning rated tournaments outdoors for the spring of 2021. To learn how to facilitate rated and unrated games outdoors, and connect with other outdoor chess enthusiasts, consider joining the Outdoor Chess Tables Facebook group.
See the original post:
- When a retreat is the best way to advance - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Ex-chess champ Garry Kasparov worries over 'enfeebled Congress', says 'extremist wings' will help Donald Trump - MEAWW - November 24th, 2020
- Who Was The First Female Grandmaster? - Chess.com - November 24th, 2020
- Calm and powerful - Chessbase News - November 21st, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - KBIA - November 21st, 2020
- Two Chess Grandmasters Weigh in on "The Queen's Gambit" | Amanpour and Company - pbssocal.org - November 18th, 2020
- Vidit plays the Skilling Open... and Banter Blitz - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- So wins 4th match in Speed Championship The Manila Times - The Manila Times - November 12th, 2020
- Should Open Tournaments Be Included In World Chess Championship Cycle? - Chess.com - November 11th, 2020
- 50th anniversary of the Interzonal in Palma de Mallorca - Chessbase News - November 11th, 2020
- Iran's Chess On The Verge Of International Ban - Iran News By Radio Farda - November 11th, 2020
- Iran warned continued boycott of matches against Israelis will lead to FIDE ban - Insidethegames.biz - November 11th, 2020
- Vera Menchik: The Real-life Beth Harmon - Chess.com - November 11th, 2020
- 35 years ago: Kasparov becomes youngest World Champion in the history of chess - Chessbase News - November 11th, 2020
- Jeffery Xiong Wins Nov. 3 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - November 5th, 2020
- I'm a Grandmaster and The Queen's Gambit has all the right moves - Sydney Morning Herald - November 3rd, 2020
- The real lives that inspired the O Gambito da Rainha prodigy re:Jerusalem - re:Jerusalem - November 3rd, 2020
- Just the Rules: Rulebook U-Turns | US Chess.org - uschess.org - November 3rd, 2020
- Whanganui weekend: 5 things to do - New Zealand Herald - November 3rd, 2020
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (November 1) - CBS News - November 1st, 2020
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (November 1) - msnNOW - October 31st, 2020
- U.S. Championship: So Still Leading the Way - Chess.com - October 30th, 2020
- So Tallies Five Straight Wins in U.S. Championship; Robson, Xiong Still Chase - uschess.org - October 29th, 2020
- U.S. Women's Championship: Krush tops the standings - Chessbase News - October 28th, 2020
- Irina Krush wins her 8th U.S. women's title - Chessbase News - October 28th, 2020
- Your chance to play two grandmasters on chess24 - chess24 - October 24th, 2020
- Chess, cricket, chickens and Nostradamus - TheArticle - October 24th, 2020
- Navara on the Candidates & reluctantly playing in Spain - chess24 - October 24th, 2020
- The memorable 4th edition of the Capablanca Memorial in 1965 - Chessbase News - October 24th, 2020
- Checks and counter checks - Chessbase News - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online team chess: India men and women enter semifinals - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster on Game Of Thrones final season: I havent met anyone that likes it - NME - October 24th, 2020
- On Chess: 18th And Olive: Historical Site Of The First World Chess Championship - St. Louis Public Radio - October 23rd, 2020
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster: Macca didnt like that John Lennon was taller in Nowhere Boy' - NME.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Pandemic Has Caused 'Cheating Crisis' in Chess - Newser - October 23rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Review: A Winning Chess Thriller - Wall Street Journal - October 23rd, 2020
- Tabada wins National Executive Chess Online tilt - manilastandard.net - October 23rd, 2020
- Anya Taylor-Joy Infiltrates the Boys Club of Chess in The Queens Gambit - Den of Geek - October 21st, 2020
- Chess, The Musical Finally Opens In Moscow - Chess.com - October 21st, 2020
- CBM 197: Magnus and his rivals - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2020
- The Best Shows and Movies to Watch This Week: The Vow Finale, Borat Sequel - Up News Info - October 19th, 2020
- Lighting lamps to guide physics on its way - The Hindu - October 19th, 2020
- 2020: A Year of Success for Oxford Chess - Cherwell Online - October 19th, 2020
- Hennessy Presents "Make Your Move" Featuring RZA And GZA Of Wu-Tang And Maurice Ashley - Chess.com - October 9th, 2020
- Dr C K Rajkumar: The Velvette man who pioneered the sachet revolution - Deccan Herald - October 9th, 2020
- 2020 Pacific Coast Open: Better Late Than Never! | US Chess.org - uschess.org - October 9th, 2020
- Asian Online Chess: India start favourites in both mens and womens events - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- Chess vs. checkers: The brilliance behind Justin Houston's approach to the pass rush - The Indianapolis Star - October 9th, 2020
- How man and machine can work together in the age of AI - The European Sting - October 9th, 2020
- A trout in the milk? - Spectator.co.uk - October 8th, 2020
- 'Young and the Restless' Spoilers: Chelsea Considers Dumping Adam Will She Bail on 'Chadam'? - Soap Dirt - October 8th, 2020
- October Cover Stories with Chess Life: GM Maurice Ashley - uschess.org - October 7th, 2020
- Teen star stands out in Wilfredo Neri Memorial chess tiff - Philippine Star - October 7th, 2020
- Netflix in October: All the new shows and movies coming out Film Daily - Film Daily - October 7th, 2020
- Carlsen and So tie in Chess 9LX tournament - Stabroek News - October 5th, 2020
- King in the middle (2) - Chessbase News - October 3rd, 2020
- Its more natural for men to pick chess as an interest or women to pick arranging flowers - Mint - October 3rd, 2020
- Cloud9 Signs Chess Grandmaster Andrew 'penguingm1' Tang The Esports Observerhome of essential esports business news and insights - TEO - The Esports... - October 3rd, 2020
- The world's our lobster - TheArticle - October 3rd, 2020
- Trump joked while people suffered with Covid. Well, is now the time to stop? - The Guardian - October 3rd, 2020
- How to get more productive? Try this meditation app - Economic Times - October 1st, 2020
- How SPB helped a teenage Viswanathan Anand for a national championship - The News Minute - October 1st, 2020
- Bhavik Rathod ventures out with edtech platform Kyt - ETtech.com - October 1st, 2020
- The other Pandey: An ode, a shout out and a plea... - afaqs - September 30th, 2020
- Required Reading: The Secrets To Pro's Success MTG Arena Zone - MTG Arena Zone - September 30th, 2020
- Spotted on a Safari - The New York Times - September 30th, 2020
- Celebrities that stream Among Us TalkEsport - TalkEsport - September 29th, 2020
- Alexander Donchenko: The importance of working hard at the board - Chessbase News - September 28th, 2020
- AI in IT service and support: The promise approaches reality - TechBeacon - September 28th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit Netflix release date, cast, trailer, plot: When is the series out? - Daily Express - September 28th, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Trailer: Anya Taylor-Joy Is A Chess-Prodigy Carving Her Place In A Man's World - Mashable India - September 26th, 2020
- Who are the 50 Greatest Chess Players of All Time? - chess24 - September 24th, 2020
- So, Carlsen Tie in Saint Louis Speed Event; Nakamura Third - uschess.org - September 24th, 2020
- Essential strategies to win every game in Auto Brawl Chess: Battle Royale - Pocket Gamer - September 24th, 2020
- Sheikh Hasina International Online Chess begins Thursday - United News of Bangladesh - September 24th, 2020
- Chess players in war of words Zambia - diggers.news - September 22nd, 2020
- What is the puzzle result win, loss or draw? - Financial Times - September 22nd, 2020
- Post-mortems and princes - Chessbase News - September 20th, 2020
- Centre's deadline to AICF warring factions nearing fast - Sify News - September 20th, 2020
- Anya Taylor-Joy on Battling Demons and Other Things - Interview - September 19th, 2020