If youre scouting about for early holiday gifts, two of the years best chess books present a nice package gift.
California IM Cyrus Lakdawalas In The Zone: The Greatest Winning Streaks in Chess History recounts the story behind some of the greatest performances in chess history, from Paul Morphys blitz through the first U.S. championship in 1858 and Bobby Fischers 11-0 shutout in the 1963-1964 U.S. title tournament to Anatoly Karpovs win in the star-studded 1994 Linares tournament, when the Russian great beat a field that included four current or future world champions by a stunning 2 points.
The highlight of Stuart Rachels The Best I Saw in Chess, a new anthology/autobiography by the Alabama IM who played just a few short years before retiring from elite play at the age of 23, is his account of his miraculous run at the 1989 U.S. Championship in Long Beach, California. Bearing no title and ranked last in the field, the 20-year-old Rachels stunned the world with an undefeated 9-5 result, tying for first with veteran GMs Roman Dzindzichashvili and Yasser Seirawan.
Rachels book was named the best general chess book of 2020 by the Chess Journalists of America, and Lakdawalas tome took home the prize as best instructional book. Both are available from publisher New in Chess at NewInChess.com.
Rachels, now a philosophy instructor at the University of Alabama, is partial to long reams of analysis and computer-aided explication, but his book also shines at portraying the human element of top-level chess competition.
In a critical win over GM Sergey Kudrin from his U.S. title run, Rachels acknowledges being mystified by Whites strategy coming out of a Sicilian Dragon: If 12. a4 bewildered me, then 13. Ra2 made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone. It looked like the stupidest move I had ever seen.
It finally dawned on Black that Kudrins super-subtle idea was to play b2-b3, c2-c4 and Nd4, redeploying the rook powerfully along the now-cleared second rank.
Black shows his budding philosophical chops. My labor was motivated by an abstract argument: So far, White has not outplayed Black; therefore, I must have a decent continuation. Whites plan is sound but slow, so Black goes on the attack with 15g5! and 20h4!?, looking for a quick mate.
His instincts are rewarded when White unwisely neglects his defense: 23. Nb5?! 0-0-0! 24. Nxa7+ Kb8 25. Bd3 Rdh8 26. Qe1? (Kudrin falters under the pressure; after a long analysis, Rachels concludes that 26. Bg1! Nc5! 27. Nb5 Qe4 28. Qe1 holds Blacks edge to a minimum) g3! 27. Qa5 (Qxg3 Qxg3 28. Rxg3 Rxh2+ 29. Kg1 Rh1+ 30. Kf2 R8h2+ 31. Ke1 Bc3+! is one winning line) Rxh2+ 28. Rxh2 Qe4+! (White banked on 28g2+ 29. Kg1 gxf1=Q+ 30. Kxf1 Rxh2?? 31. Qd8 mate) 29. Kg1 Qxe3+, and its mate in six after 30. Rhf2 gxf2+ 31. Rxf2 Qc1+ 32. Rf1 Bd4+ 33. Kg2 Rg8+ 34. Kh2 Qc2+ and 35Qh7 mate. White resigned.
In a nice bit of symmetry, one of Lakdawalas best chapters focuses on a tournament played just months before Rachels miracle run the dominant 3-point victory by in-his-very-prime world champion Garry Kasparov at the 1989 Interpolis Tournament in Tilburg, Netherlands.
Kasparovs win over Dutch GM Jeroen Piket is peak Kasparov meaning perhaps the greatest player ever firing on every cylinder. In a classic Kings Indian flank battle, Black simply destroys what had been Pikets pet line with a series of sledgehammer blows: 20. Nc7 (see diagram) g3! 21. Nxa8? (hxg3 here may be Whites last chance to hold) Nh5!! 22. Kh1 (Bxa7 Qh4! 23. h3 Bxh3 blows up the White defensive fortress) gxf2 23. Rxf2 Ng3+! 24. Kg1 (hxg3 fxg3, followed by 25Qh4 wins) Qxa8 25. Bc4 a6! 26. Qd3 Qa7!!, and the long-range pin wins decisive material after 27. b5 axb5 28. Bxb5 Nh1!, costing White a full piece. Piket conceded.
Kudrin-Rachels, U.S. Championship, Long Beach, California, November 1989
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. g3 g6 7. Nde2 Bd7 8. Bg2 Qc8 9. Nd5 Bg7 10. O-O Nxd5 11. exd5 Ne5 12. a4 Bh3 13. Ra2 h5 14. Bxh3 Qxh3 15. f3 g5 16. Kh1 Bf6 17. b3 Qf5 18. Nd4 Qg6 19. c4 g4 20. Rg2 h4 21. gxh4 Rxh4 22. f4 Nd7 23. Nb5 O-O-O 24. Nxa7+ Kb8 25. Be3 Rdh8 26. Qe1 g3 27. Qa5 Rxh2+ 28. Rxh2 Qe4+ 29. Kg1 Qxe3+ White resigns.
Piket-Kasparov, 13th Interpolis Tournament, Tilburg, Netherlands, September 1989
1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. c4 Bg7 4. Nc3 O-O 5. e4 d6 6. Be2 e5 7. O-O Nc6 8. d5 Ne7 9. Ne1 Nd7 10. Be3 f5 11. f3 f4 12. Bf2 g5 13. b4 Nf6 14. c5 Ng6 15. cxd6 cxd6 16. Rc1 Rf7 17. a4 Bf8 18. a5 Bd7 19. Nb5 g4 20. Nc7 g3 21. Nxa8 Nh5 22. Kh1 gxf2 23. Rxf2 Ng3+ 24. Kg1 Qxa8 25. Bc4 a6 26. Qd3 Qa7 27. b5 axb5 28. Bxb5 Nh1 White resigns.
David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go here to see the original:
- How Chess Helped Natan Sharansky Outlast the Soviet Union and Foster Jewish Unity - Algemeiner - November 26th, 2020
- CBS May Have to Cancel or Move The Talk in Ratings Chess Game to Keep Drew Barrymore Alive in the Afternoon - Showbiz411 - November 26th, 2020
- Online chess boom follows 'The Queen's Gambit' success - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 25th, 2020
- Chess Forums Imad Khachan Talks 25 Years on Thompson Street With @NewYorkNico - Curbed - November 25th, 2020
- "Glory to the Queen": A Tribute to the Georgian Queens of Chess - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Why Do Business Owners Sense They Are Playing Checkers in a Chess World? - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Kenya bounce back to thrash Libya after slow start to Online Chess Olympiad games - The Standard - November 25th, 2020
- 'Searching For Bobby Fischer' Is About This Young Chess Prodigy - But He Quit the Game and Here's Why - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 25th, 2020
- PHOTO: Mira Rajput shares a sneak peek of her 'queen' Mishas chess lessons; Says 'Never too young to start' - PINKVILLA - November 25th, 2020
- Battle of the Gigabrains: Vitalik Buterin to match wits with chess master - Cointelegraph - November 24th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Is the Forrest Gump of Chess - Vulture - November 24th, 2020
- Chess Set Sales Have Skyrocketed Thanks To 'The Queen's Gambit' On Netflix - NPR - November 21st, 2020
- Illinois Wesleyan University's Virtual Production of CHESS Premieres This Weekend - Broadway World - November 21st, 2020
- Washington state team crowned national chess champions - KING5.com - November 21st, 2020
- Introducing the new Skilling Open commentary teams and our slick TV studio - chess24 - November 21st, 2020
- Packers will have an interesting chess match against the Colts defense - Acme Packing Company - November 21st, 2020
- Play Chess With Beth Harmon from The Queen's Gambit - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - St. Louis Public Radio - November 20th, 2020
- So Defeats Duda With Incredible 3|1 Performance In Speed Chess - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- Mollies Feel-Good Feed: Mind mapping, a classic Icon and a game of chess - Marie Claire UK - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - Scottsbluff Star Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Checking in with chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov - Jewish Insider - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on Trump's final exit, vaccine side-effects and the infinite fascination of chess - expressandstar.com - November 20th, 2020
- CHESS Launches Cross Border Peace Initiative Between Liberia and Ivory Coast - Liberian Daily Observer - November 20th, 2020
- Brawl Chess - Gambit brings an old classic up to date on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch - TheXboxHub - November 20th, 2020
- Diane Francis: Putin is playing chess against the West and he's winning - Financial Post - November 18th, 2020
- How chess streaming became the favourite pandemic pastime - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Chess: Indias 14-year-old Leon Mendonca closes in on Grandmaster title with second norm in Hungary - Scroll.in - November 18th, 2020
- Chess, the great metaphor of the world - Pledge Times - November 18th, 2020
- Chess the Musical to perform at Perth Concert Hall after Netflix's The Queen's Gambit sparks cultural revival - The West Australian - November 18th, 2020
- Lancaster Chess Soc embroiled in brutal civil war after president is accused of cheating - The Tab - November 18th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Will Debut at The Regent Theatre - Broadway World - November 16th, 2020
- Loansharking, fake test results and betting on chess: How organized crime has learned to thrive in the COVID-19 pandemic - Toronto Star - November 16th, 2020
- Power Book II: Ghost episode 6: New poster all about the chess... - CarterMatt - November 16th, 2020
- Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player ever? Not according to chess24's Hall of Fame - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- From chess match to streetfight: The world's courtrooms are the battleground for the future of fossil fuels - WorldOil - November 16th, 2020
- 2020 National Open Championship to be Held Online, November 21-22 - uschess.org - November 16th, 2020
- 'Chess The Musical' to be performed in Perth in 2021 - OUTinPerth - November 16th, 2020
- Will Trump quit? A chess master, pro poker player, boxing coach and Monopoly champ on the art of throwing in the towel - MarketWatch - November 12th, 2020
- Hundreds being introduced to chess | News - news-herald.net - November 12th, 2020
- Fujairah Chess and Culture Club adopts initiative to teach 20000 players basics of chess - Gulf Today - November 12th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 2) - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2020
- Grandmaster In The Making - Midweek - November 12th, 2020
- Chinas Jack Ma: The chess game he refuses to lose in Africa - The Africa Report - November 8th, 2020
- Florida-Georgia game will be 'chess match' between Mullen, Smart - GatorBait.net - November 8th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen's Chess Tour Secures TV Deal With Eurosport - TEO - The Esports Observer - November 8th, 2020
- 'CHESS MINISERIES' MORE THRILLING THAN NETFLIX'S 'GOTHIC ROMANCE' - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - November 8th, 2020
- God, the elections, and 4-D chess - Christian Post - November 8th, 2020
- 10-year-old chess boy wonder wants to represent Philippines on world stage - Philstar.com - November 8th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: A Real-Life Chess Champion on Netflixs Addictive Hit - Vanity Fair - November 6th, 2020
- Fair play and good manners in chess - Chessbase News - November 5th, 2020
- Trump Isn't Playing 3-D Chess. He's Eating the Checker. - The Daily Beast - November 5th, 2020
- Lorenzo Marvin 'Mac' McNeal, 83, relished playing chess and Bid Whist - WYDaily - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess: Find the move that defeated a world champion - Financial Times - November 3rd, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' and more chess films worth checking out - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 3rd, 2020
- Rising star Anya Taylor-Joy takes on the challenge of chess in The Queen's Gambit - The West Australian - November 3rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: Chess Expert Bruce Pandolfini on Making the Matches Look Like the Real Thing - IndieWire - October 31st, 2020
- UAE Chess Champion to compete in Balinas Cup - PhilBoxing.com - October 31st, 2020
- ASX Extends Go-live of CHESS Replacement to April 2023 - Regulation Asia - October 30th, 2020
- Chess Corner: The Halloween Gambit - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - October 30th, 2020
- How to win at zhuolu chess in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII - Gamepur - October 30th, 2020
- How Queens Gambits VFX Team Crafted the Chess Moves - Variety - October 29th, 2020
- I Am Very Attracted to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as a Chess Cowboy on The Queen's Gambit - POPSUGAR - October 29th, 2020
- Karjakin Wins Oct. 27 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 29th, 2020
- Checkmate, mate! Australia are kings in the sport of chess - ABC News - October 29th, 2020
- Chess and bridge titles on the line at Mind Sports World University Championship - Insidethegames.biz - October 28th, 2020
- Cuba 1 at a good pace in world online university chess championship - OnCubaNews - October 28th, 2020
- Bacolod's Asuela rules NLEX Sports Battle of the Minds online chess tourney - PhilBoxing.com - October 28th, 2020
- Chess chiefs move to defeat rise in cheating as games move online in lockdown - The Sunday Post - October 28th, 2020
- CHESS speaker series set to host back-to-back events this week - Gannonknight - October 28th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020
- 14 Things to Watch This Week: Anya Taylor-Joy Plays Chess, the Real 'Amityville' House and Top Secret Videos - Parade - October 24th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: A Netflix Series Where The Chess Is Done Right - Chess.com - October 23rd, 2020
- On The Money: Power players play chess match on COVID-19 aid | Pelosi bullish, Trump tempers optimism | Analysis: Nearly 1M have run out of jobless... - October 23rd, 2020