If youre scouting about for early holiday gifts, two of the years best chess books present a nice package gift.
California IM Cyrus Lakdawalas In The Zone: The Greatest Winning Streaks in Chess History recounts the story behind some of the greatest performances in chess history, from Paul Morphys blitz through the first U.S. championship in 1858 and Bobby Fischers 11-0 shutout in the 1963-1964 U.S. title tournament to Anatoly Karpovs win in the star-studded 1994 Linares tournament, when the Russian great beat a field that included four current or future world champions by a stunning 2 points.
The highlight of Stuart Rachels The Best I Saw in Chess, a new anthology/autobiography by the Alabama IM who played just a few short years before retiring from elite play at the age of 23, is his account of his miraculous run at the 1989 U.S. Championship in Long Beach, California. Bearing no title and ranked last in the field, the 20-year-old Rachels stunned the world with an undefeated 9-5 result, tying for first with veteran GMs Roman Dzindzichashvili and Yasser Seirawan.
Rachels book was named the best general chess book of 2020 by the Chess Journalists of America, and Lakdawalas tome took home the prize as best instructional book. Both are available from publisher New in Chess at NewInChess.com.
Rachels, now a philosophy instructor at the University of Alabama, is partial to long reams of analysis and computer-aided explication, but his book also shines at portraying the human element of top-level chess competition.
In a critical win over GM Sergey Kudrin from his U.S. title run, Rachels acknowledges being mystified by Whites strategy coming out of a Sicilian Dragon: If 12. a4 bewildered me, then 13. Ra2 made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone. It looked like the stupidest move I had ever seen.
It finally dawned on Black that Kudrins super-subtle idea was to play b2-b3, c2-c4 and Nd4, redeploying the rook powerfully along the now-cleared second rank.
Black shows his budding philosophical chops. My labor was motivated by an abstract argument: So far, White has not outplayed Black; therefore, I must have a decent continuation. Whites plan is sound but slow, so Black goes on the attack with 15g5! and 20h4!?, looking for a quick mate.
His instincts are rewarded when White unwisely neglects his defense: 23. Nb5?! 0-0-0! 24. Nxa7+ Kb8 25. Bd3 Rdh8 26. Qe1? (Kudrin falters under the pressure; after a long analysis, Rachels concludes that 26. Bg1! Nc5! 27. Nb5 Qe4 28. Qe1 holds Blacks edge to a minimum) g3! 27. Qa5 (Qxg3 Qxg3 28. Rxg3 Rxh2+ 29. Kg1 Rh1+ 30. Kf2 R8h2+ 31. Ke1 Bc3+! is one winning line) Rxh2+ 28. Rxh2 Qe4+! (White banked on 28g2+ 29. Kg1 gxf1=Q+ 30. Kxf1 Rxh2?? 31. Qd8 mate) 29. Kg1 Qxe3+, and its mate in six after 30. Rhf2 gxf2+ 31. Rxf2 Qc1+ 32. Rf1 Bd4+ 33. Kg2 Rg8+ 34. Kh2 Qc2+ and 35Qh7 mate. White resigned.
In a nice bit of symmetry, one of Lakdawalas best chapters focuses on a tournament played just months before Rachels miracle run the dominant 3-point victory by in-his-very-prime world champion Garry Kasparov at the 1989 Interpolis Tournament in Tilburg, Netherlands.
Kasparovs win over Dutch GM Jeroen Piket is peak Kasparov meaning perhaps the greatest player ever firing on every cylinder. In a classic Kings Indian flank battle, Black simply destroys what had been Pikets pet line with a series of sledgehammer blows: 20. Nc7 (see diagram) g3! 21. Nxa8? (hxg3 here may be Whites last chance to hold) Nh5!! 22. Kh1 (Bxa7 Qh4! 23. h3 Bxh3 blows up the White defensive fortress) gxf2 23. Rxf2 Ng3+! 24. Kg1 (hxg3 fxg3, followed by 25Qh4 wins) Qxa8 25. Bc4 a6! 26. Qd3 Qa7!!, and the long-range pin wins decisive material after 27. b5 axb5 28. Bxb5 Nh1!, costing White a full piece. Piket conceded.
Kudrin-Rachels, U.S. Championship, Long Beach, California, November 1989
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. g3 g6 7. Nde2 Bd7 8. Bg2 Qc8 9. Nd5 Bg7 10. O-O Nxd5 11. exd5 Ne5 12. a4 Bh3 13. Ra2 h5 14. Bxh3 Qxh3 15. f3 g5 16. Kh1 Bf6 17. b3 Qf5 18. Nd4 Qg6 19. c4 g4 20. Rg2 h4 21. gxh4 Rxh4 22. f4 Nd7 23. Nb5 O-O-O 24. Nxa7+ Kb8 25. Be3 Rdh8 26. Qe1 g3 27. Qa5 Rxh2+ 28. Rxh2 Qe4+ 29. Kg1 Qxe3+ White resigns.
Piket-Kasparov, 13th Interpolis Tournament, Tilburg, Netherlands, September 1989
1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. c4 Bg7 4. Nc3 O-O 5. e4 d6 6. Be2 e5 7. O-O Nc6 8. d5 Ne7 9. Ne1 Nd7 10. Be3 f5 11. f3 f4 12. Bf2 g5 13. b4 Nf6 14. c5 Ng6 15. cxd6 cxd6 16. Rc1 Rf7 17. a4 Bf8 18. a5 Bd7 19. Nb5 g4 20. Nc7 g3 21. Nxa8 Nh5 22. Kh1 gxf2 23. Rxf2 Ng3+ 24. Kg1 Qxa8 25. Bc4 a6 26. Qd3 Qa7 27. b5 axb5 28. Bxb5 Nh1 White resigns.
David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go here to see the original:
- Chess Corner: Sitting on the 7th rank - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow is so competitive he's trash talking teammates about...chess - Bengals Wire - June 11th, 2021
- PhosAgro Renews Strategic Partnership Agreements with FIDE and the Russian Chess Federation - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Long Island brothers create website to bring chess lovers together virtually - News 12 Bronx - June 11th, 2021
- Nuclear powers must stop playing nuclear chess and atomic roulette - The Mail & Guardian - Mail and Guardian - June 11th, 2021
- Joe Burrow has Been Talking Crap About Chess to a Key Offensive Target - Sportscasting - June 11th, 2021
- Aamir Khan will face the chess with chess champion Viswanathan Anand - asume tech - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Scholar-Chessplayer Award Winners Announced | US Chess.org - uschess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- 2021 Executive Board Election Ballot Mailing | US Chess.org - uschess.org - June 11th, 2021
- East vs. West: Battle of the rising stars! - ChessKid.com - chesskid.com - chesskid.com - June 11th, 2021
- New tables give you the opportunity to play chess/checkers at two EC parks - WQOW TV News 18 - May 30th, 2021
- A Chess Game: Everyone will win or lose after the NATO summit | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 30th, 2021
- Xiong Wins May 25 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - May 30th, 2021
- Grandmaster Judit Polgar to Appear in US Chess Women Girls Club - uschess.org - May 30th, 2021
- Cummings, a chess man in a gambler's world | Comment | The Sunday Times - The Times - May 30th, 2021
- The inspiring journey behind 10-year-old chess masters success - Yahoo News - May 30th, 2021
- Chess event promotes solidarity between Jews and Arabs - The Jerusalem Post - May 30th, 2021
- Taylor Jenkins and Quin Snyder are in a NBA playoffs 'chess match' that's years in the making | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - May 30th, 2021
- Mind games: Two intellectuals and chess on a football pitch - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Theatre review: Chess the Musical - InDaily - May 30th, 2021
- 10-Year-Old Chess Prodigy Who Overcame Homelessness Named National Chess Master - NewsOne - May 18th, 2021
- Top chess player in the world visits Indianapolis - WTHR - May 18th, 2021
- 10-year-old boy who once lived in a homeless shelter achieves remarkable title: chess master - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2021
- Ventura sweeps National Youth and Schools Online Chess Tourney - PhilBoxing.com - May 18th, 2021
- Chess master, former law enforcement officer to give seminar on surviving police interaction - - Champion - May 18th, 2021
- First Ever Chess-Focused Sports Agency Launched - World Chess - May 18th, 2021
- More than a game: How Cook County is using chess to prepare inmates for life on the outside - Daily Herald - May 18th, 2021
- The Queens Gambit Star Anya Taylor-Joy: Its Not About Chess, Its About Loneliness And The Price Of Genius Contenders TV - Deadline - May 18th, 2021
- Chess Market Is Expected To Expand At An Impressive Rate By 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 18th, 2021
- Announcing The Botez Bullet Invitational On May 5 - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- New In Chess Classic: Carlsen Strikes - Chess.com - May 5th, 2021
- Jazz Cartier on His Chess Docuseries With Diddy, Skincare Line, and Next LP - Complex - May 5th, 2021
- Cover Stories with Chess Life #36: Taylor Kingston - uschess.org - May 5th, 2021
- Meet Tani Adewumi: The 10-year-old Nigerian refugee who became a national chess master | NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - May 5th, 2021
- Learn Chess Online With This Lesson Bundle, Which Is Currently 92% Off - Forbes - May 5th, 2021
- Are the Rams trying to play chess with NFL Draft pick Tutu Atwell? - With the First Pick - May 5th, 2021
- The Chess Match Ahead in the East - Japers' Rink - May 5th, 2021
- Mother tongue and chess is there a connection? - Chessbase News - May 5th, 2021
- Great Moments in Chess: Kasparov Seizes the Crown - chess24 - May 5th, 2021
- 'A sport for the mind': New chess team a big hit at MHS - Yahoo News - May 5th, 2021
- All India Chess Federation launches initiative to help chess community fight COVID-19 - Firstpost - May 5th, 2021
- It's your move: Pittsburgh police invite the public to play chess in Market Square - TribLIVE - April 21st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Police To Join Street Chess Players During The Summer - WTRF - April 21st, 2021
- Aagaard on the Candidates - Round 9 | US Chess.org - uschess.org - April 21st, 2021
- The game of Chess - The Times of India Blog - April 21st, 2021
- What America Taught The World About Chess - Chess.com - April 21st, 2021
- The real story of women in chess - The Independent - April 21st, 2021
- Cops in Paraguay discover 20k worth of high purity cocaine bound for Ireland inside chess set... - The Irish Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Tyson heads to Arnold Schwarzeneggers mansion for game of chess and golf along with UFC icon Henry C... - The Sun - April 21st, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 5th, 2021
- Clash Mini: Everything we know about Supercell's upcoming auto chess game - Pocket Gamer - April 5th, 2021
- Bucs decision to bring back Godwin and Barrett was a chess game - Bucs Nation - April 5th, 2021
- Artemiev Swindles Nakamura To Win Another Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Chess lovers practice the art of the checkmate - KNBN NewsCenter1 - Newscenter1.tv - March 9th, 2021
- Play Chess With Agadmator, Nemo, Cramling, Canty, And More - Chess.com - March 9th, 2021
- Turkish chess group head works to inspire young girls - Anadolu Agency - March 9th, 2021
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy Is The BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year - Femina - March 9th, 2021
- He loves the chess aspect: is Rooney made to measure as a manager? - The Guardian - March 9th, 2021
- Battle of the Minds: 4 legends compete in chess and poker - chess24 - March 9th, 2021
- Wednesday Workout: Leveling Up Through the US Chess Rapids - uschess.org - March 9th, 2021
- John Leguizamo on Critical Thinking [VIDEO] | US Chess.org - uschess.org - February 20th, 2021
- Teaching the right moves across the board - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- How this 25-year-old makes six figures a year playing chess on Twitch - CNBC - February 20th, 2021
- Maharashtra Chess Association back as a governing body after 4 years - The Bridge - February 20th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Rockford Chess Club Gets Revived Thanks to ' The Queen's Gambit' - q985online.com - February 17th, 2021
- Aaron Chess, District 1 council candidate, wants to bring hope back to the district - CIProud.com - February 17th, 2021
- Check out these chess tips before you hear check mate - KELOLAND.com - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Smashing Stereotypes - Marissa Saroca to play The Arbiter in CHESS THE MUSICAL | News - Aussie Theatre - February 17th, 2021
- Garry Kasparov at IMPROVATE Cybersecurity Conference is talking about Chess, IA and The Queen's Gambit - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2021
- Become a chess expert with these discounted grandmaster taught training bundles | TheHill - The Hill - February 15th, 2021
- When The Prison Banned Board Games, We Played Chess In Our Minds - The Marshall Project - February 15th, 2021
- Recruiting Chess Match: Huskies Have Missouri TE on Their Board - Sports Illustrated - February 15th, 2021
- xQc Is Going to Use His Expensive New PC to Play Chess and Browser Games - EssentiallySports - February 15th, 2021
- Our Collective Chess Match: What Our Editors Are Reading - Sojourners - February 15th, 2021
- Advanced chess with John Gallagher | Calendar | scarsdalenews.com - scarsdalenews.com - February 15th, 2021
- Across the MMA Universe: Kamaru Usman on UFC 258 'Chess Match' - Bleacher Report - February 15th, 2021
- More than 140 inmates will participate in virtual Chess Tournament - Dominican Today - February 15th, 2021
- Young Canadian chess stars lead drive to popularize the royal game on Twitch - Ottawa Citizen - February 15th, 2021