In the fourth match of the2020 Speed Chess Championship Main Event, GM Wesley So(@GMWSO) defeated GM Nodirbek Abdusattorov (@ChessWarrior7197) 18-10.The next match is Nepomniachtchi vs. Aronian on Wednesday, November 11, at9 a.m. Pacific / 18:00 Central Europe.
How to watch?The games of the Speed Chess Championship Main Event are played on the Chess.com live server. They are also available on our platform for watching live games at Chess.com/events and on our apps under "Watch." Expert commentary can be enjoyed at Chess.com/tv.
Except for a brief comeback from Abdusattorov at the end of the five-minute portion, So dominated the match from start to finish. He brought his great play at the American championship into his next tournament while the Uzbek youngster couldn't find his best form.
The live broadcast of the match.
So played the match from his home in Minnetonka, Minnesota; Abdusattorov played from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. The players in this competition play with two cameras (for fair play reasons). Since both of them had no problem with Chess.com showing the cameras in the broadcast, the fans had the opportunity to see their setup:
So, who played with a relatively small board in the corner of a big computer screen,started with three winsall three scored in endgames. His opponent was fairly close to a draw in game two but couldn't hold it in the end. "Wesley stole that one!" said commentator GM Maurice Ashley.
After a draw, So won a quick game in a Two Knights Defense that gave him a four-point lead. Abdusattorov referred to this game afterward: "His opening preparation was amazing. [In this game] he just crushed me."
The author has added some engine lines to this game, which is very hard to understand in general without using a computer. It's worth noting that it was theory for 18 moves.
In game six, Abdusattorov finally got his first win. "I said to myself, OK, I need to play faster and my best. And then it became very close," he said afterward.
The next game ended in a draw, but then the Uzbek GM won two more. Suddenly he was just one point behind. So later admitted that this was the first of two times in the match that he "tilted."
The five-minute portion ended with one more draw, which meant the score was 5.5-4.5 with So leading. The American player started the three-minute segment with a win but then blundered again. Did commentator IM Danny Rensch jinx him?
Were we going to see a close battle after all? Alas, it didn't happen. At this point,So won five games in a row to take a commanding six-point lead. That blow Abdusattorov couldn't recover from.
"He's just a little off," said commentator Ashley. "This youngster is stronger than me and you, no question about it. We should not be seeing moves that he doesn't see. When that starts to happen, I get scared in commentary."
So could even have entered the bullet portion with a slightly bigger lead as he missed a win in game 19. Somehow, pawn endings are always interesting, so let's look at this one and learn:
By winning the first three bullet games, So made it clear that he wasn't going to allow another comeback. In this phase, he also used the well-known technique of winning time on the match clock by, for example, not resigning in this game:
The second moment So went on "tilt" was at the very end. Leading 18-8, he lost the last two bullet games that gave Abdusattorov both a more decent-looking final score and some extra prize money.These were the last moves of the match:
So said he got "a bit careless" halfway in the five-minute segment: "Actually, I was quite angry with myself because first of all, I lost on time in two or three games. That's frustrating. After the first four wins, I thought the match would be comfortable, but then Nodirbek played very well today. He is always looking for a fight. He gets fighting positions with both white and black, so it's hard for me to consolidate."
Abdusattorov won $714.29 based on win percentage; So won $2,000 for the victory plus $1,285.71 on percentage, totaling $3,285.71. He moves on to the quarterfinals, where he will play the winner of GMsFabiano Caruana and Jan-Krzysztof Duda.
Here's the remaining schedule for the round of 16:
The 2020 Speed Chess Championship Main Event is a knockout tournament among 16 of the best grandmasters in the world who will play for a $100,000 prize fund, double the amount of last year. The tournament will run November 1-December 13, 2020 on Chess.com. Each individual match will feature 90 minutes of 5+1 blitz, 60 minutes of 3+1 blitz, and 30 minutes of 1+1 bullet chess.
See the rest here:
- Dancing, vacuuming, learning: What's next for robots and their creators? - ASU Now - January 23rd, 2021
- Signature Theatre announces cast and dates for 'Simply Sondheim' review - DC Metro Theater Arts - January 23rd, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', 'Shadow Gangs', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 15th, 2021
- Their Uniforms Say Ohio State and Alabama. The Players Are From Everywhere. - The Wall Street Journal - January 13th, 2021
- Ziggurat Interactive Releases First Retro First Friday Pack Of 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 9th, 2021
- TV tonight: another day in paradise for detective Ralf Little - The Guardian - January 9th, 2021
- The Board Games Global Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 13% Between 2021 to 2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- 50 Best TV Shows To Watch In 2021 - Highest Rated Television Series - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - December 29th, 2020
- Red Bull think they have secret weapon to catch Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas | F1 | Sport - TechnoCodex - December 23rd, 2020
- HBO's Industry creators and Myha'la Herrold break down season 1 finale - Entertainment Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Research at Microsoft 2020: Addressing the present while looking to the future - Microsoft - December 22nd, 2020
- Deals of the Week, December 11 to 18 Growth Business roundup - GrowthBusiness.co.uk - December 18th, 2020
- Turns Out Its Pretty Good: Doomscrolling - The Cut - December 18th, 2020
- A Letter to My Kids - The Good Men Project - December 15th, 2020
- Yakuza Remastered Collection On The Way For Xbox & PC - Bleeding Cool News - December 13th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Gets A New Trailer Showing Off The Features - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- Reflections on 40 years: thanks for the memories (we can remember) - NOLA.com - December 9th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum - Tom's Hardware - December 8th, 2020
- AI has almost solved one of biologys greatest challenges how protein unfolds - ThePrint - December 8th, 2020
- Demis Hassabis interview: the kid from the comp who founded DeepMind and cracked a mighty riddle of science - The Times - December 6th, 2020
- Online Chess and Working from Home - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- Full Fischer film in YouTube - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- New C360 CEO Howard Wright Sees Broadcast Tech Putting Fans on the Field of Play - Sports Video Group - December 5th, 2020
- This is what would happen if a Hind took on a Cobra - We Are The Mighty - December 5th, 2020
- Hyundai Takes The Wraps Off Its E-GMP Electric Car Platform - CleanTechnica - December 3rd, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons to Rent an RV when you traveling - The Dubrovnik Times - December 3rd, 2020
- Akron flashback: Some childhood toys you never forget - Akron Beacon Journal - December 1st, 2020
- 24 Comments on GM is Paying Cadillac Dealers to Ditch the Brand... - The Truth About Cars - November 29th, 2020
- Skilling Open QF2: Day of the Comebacks - chess24 - November 27th, 2020
- Jelurida Announces Bridge Champ, an On-Chain Version of the Famous Card Game - IT News Online - November 27th, 2020
- The 37 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 27th, 2020
- The Joylessness of Cooking - The New Yorker - November 27th, 2020
- The Big Bang Theory: 10 Hidden Details About Penny That Everyone Missed - Screen Rant - November 26th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Reveals A New Location With Chongqing, China - Bleeding Cool News - November 25th, 2020
- Conte and Zidane remain best of friends ahead of San Siro reunion - MSN UK - November 25th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review: The Mainstream Knockout - Tom's Hardware - November 24th, 2020
- What's Next In AI, Chips And Masks - SemiEngineering - November 20th, 2020
- NFL Week 11: Picks and preview - Yardbarker - November 20th, 2020
- 2020 NBA Draft: Sam Vecenie's likes and dislikes - The Athletic - November 20th, 2020
- We have free android games and apps Birmingham Alive - Birmingham Alive - November 18th, 2020
- Remembering When the Memories Are No Longer Our Own - War on the Rocks - November 12th, 2020
- How To Learn Chess By Yourself: Best Apps And More - Goosed.ie - November 10th, 2020
- Truss the process: How the Ravens turned a strange week into their biggest win of the season - Baltimore Sun - November 10th, 2020
- 2020 European MotoGP Results and News - Cycle News - November 10th, 2020
- Star Renegades Will Be Coming To Consoles Later This Month - Bleeding Cool News - November 10th, 2020
- Why a great teacher can make all the difference - Blogdottv - November 10th, 2020
- How Disney Helped Fans Live Their Star Wars Stories - Theme Park Insider - November 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence, the reality behind the runaway - Pledge Times - November 8th, 2020
- 8 Comments on Bugatti Bolide's Claimed Nurburing Time Isn't Real... - The Truth About Cars - October 30th, 2020
- What happened at the Badger Fire? - Times-News - October 30th, 2020
- Red Bull hopes 'Balance of Performance' plan will win rivals over to engine freeze - RaceFans - October 28th, 2020
- Rybka - Wikipedia - October 28th, 2020
- What the hell is reinforcement learning and how does it work? - The Next Web - October 28th, 2020
- How the new diversity is transforming science fictions future - Polygon - October 28th, 2020
- Low-flying helicopters to measure radiation levels in DC before inauguration | TheHill - The Hill - October 23rd, 2020
- Derrick Henry isnt the only challenge for the Steelers in Nashville - Behind the Steel Curtain - October 23rd, 2020
- The Rise of the Machines: Where Does the Person Stop and the Machine Start? - CIO Applications - October 21st, 2020
- National Stock Exchange of Australia to Launch Automated Trading Blockchain... - Coinspeaker - October 21st, 2020
- When 3 is greater than 5 - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2020
- The Analogue Duo Retro System Will Launch Sometime In 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - October 19th, 2020
- NHTSA Launching Investigation Into Chevy Bolt Fires - The Truth About Cars - October 16th, 2020
- Chess Engines Collection Download - OuefCafe.info - October 11th, 2020
- Engines - Chessprogramming wiki - October 11th, 2020
- Unreal Engine will power the Hummer EV's infotainment display - Sports Grind Entertainment - October 8th, 2020
- Jos: Time for Red Bull to produce a championship-winning car - Grand Prix 247 - October 8th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Caruana and Firouzja get off to a good start - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- Belltower: Outlawing the internal combustion engine - Mountain Democrat - October 3rd, 2020
- Netmarble Announces An Original Mobile Title With A3: Still Alive - Bleeding Cool News - October 1st, 2020
- The F-35 in the Way Ahead for USMC-US Navy Integration - Second Line of Defense - September 30th, 2020
- Apple Vs. Epics First Hearing Takes Place, Judge Recommends Jury Trial for July 2021 - mxdwn.com - September 30th, 2020
- 15 Games Like Among Us That Will Test Your Wits - KeenGamer News - September 28th, 2020
- Digital Inclusion: What Does It Bring To The Future Of Connected Vehicles? - ISBuzz News - September 24th, 2020
- CanPL.ca's Best of the second group stage and CPL Final at The Island Games - Canadian Premier League - September 22nd, 2020
- Smart Money Podcast: Used Cars in Short Supply, and Shea Coule Talks About Money - Morton Times-News - September 22nd, 2020
- Revved up: How FCA and an army of contractors raced against time to put together 1st new assembly plant in Detroit in 3 decades - Crain's Detroit... - September 20th, 2020
- T-Bones waiting for the all-clear to open - Wicked Local Plymouth - September 19th, 2020
- Changing the rules - Spectator.co.uk - September 19th, 2020
- Cyan Reveals They're Developing The Game Myst For VR - Bleeding Cool News - September 19th, 2020
- Carlsen Connects on Day 2 of Rapid and Blitz - uschess.org - September 19th, 2020
- California's Butte County has been ravaged by wildfires. One man's rescue shows the depth of the fight - San Francisco Chronicle - September 19th, 2020