5:11 PM PST 11/2/2020byMia Galuppo
James Bond made him a major star, The Untouchables made him an Oscar winner and Saturday Night Live made Sean Connery a late-night regular.
Portrayed by Darrell Hammond,Connery was a constant fixture on the popular sketch "Celebrity Jeopardy," where he had an uncanny ability for lewd misreadings of categories ("I'll take 'Anal Bum Cover' for $7,000") and an inexplicable bone to pick with host Alex Trebek, played by Will Ferrell.
Hammond talked to The Hollywood Reporter about his well-known impression of Connery, who died onSaturday at the age of 90: "It's one of these instances where the stars were in alignment."
Do you have a favorite Sean Connery performance?
I think I'm going to say The Untouchables. But I say that with an asterisk, because the seven times, in seven movies, that someone says to him, "Hey, what's your name?" and he says, "Bond. Jame Bond," that's the best. You can't really beat that. But there are some of those marvelous [lines] from The Untouchables: "Mr. Ness, I am just a poor beat cop."People were captivated by the guy in the same way they were captivated by [President Bill] Clinton. They couldn't get enough. People couldn't get enough.
When I was doing shows at colleges, kids from many countries would hold up signs with their favorite "Celebrity Jeopardy" lines.I say to people it's the most popular thing I ever did, but I feel like I almost did nothing. And I am not doing false modesty here when I tell you that. The writers were Emmy winners, the hair and makeup were Emmy winners, the costumers are Emmy winners. Nobody looks less like Sean Connery than me and they made me look a lot Sean Connery. So I always would tell myself, just go out there and speak trippingly.
Had you done a Sean Connery impression prior to SNL or was that just like a thing that came to you in the moment?
It was like a last-ditch effort on a Tuesday night around four o'clock in the morning because I had nothing to turn in or sell to any of the writers. I was always taught that an audience needs to understand your premise and kind of agree with it in order to laugh. In other words, you can't educate or show them something new and get them to laugh at the same moment. So I thought, nobody's going to believe Sean Connery doesn't know things, or nobody's going to believe that he hates Alex Trebek. The premise doesn't make any sense. And yet it's one of these instances where the stars were in alignment.
Was your impression based on any performance? Or would you listen to anything to make sure you got it right?
It was "Mr. Ness. I am just a poor beat cop." That enabled me to find the voice quickly. But I remember when I started doing it, especially in rehearsal Lorne [Michaels] was like, and "Now you've duplicated him. Let's exaggerate him. Let's italicize him. Let's do a Hirschfeld painting of him." This sounds silly, but I had Hirschfeld pictures in my office and I would sit and look at them and go, "That's what I'm trying to do today. I want to exaggerate him. I want to blow him up. I want to be a ludicrous premise but carried out in earnest." I mean, all the stuff that I've heard acting coaches say. But the moment I said the words. "I'll take 'The Rapists' for $5,000" or whatever it was, it took my breath away. Because you're walking out there going, "This can't work." And yet it was the single most successful thing I ever did as a performer.
When did you know it was going to be a hit with the audience?
I thought it was the first time I said, "I'll take 'The Rapists.' " And that's not the biggest laugh he ever got by a long shot. You can hear [the audience] hesitate and want to dip their toe in the water, and then they did a little bit. I'd say we got about 60 percent of the room, and it was a delayed reaction that took place in like a split second, but later in the sketch, they were ready. They knew what the premise was and they wanted more of it. He's one of those guys like [President Bill] Clinton that's so popular someone actually said this once of Daffy Duck, as well the character is so popular that you can do anything. You can do slapstick with Sean Connery, you could do drawing-room comedy with Sean Connery there's no kind of comedy that you can't do when people are so eager to hear from that person.
This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.
Read this article:
- Be well prepared - with the ChessBase Magazine - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2021
- Nine Attention-Grabbing Inventions Unveiled at This Year's CES - Smithsonian Magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Canadian chess master Ross Siemms pleased with new interest in the game - Toronto Sun - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: check out the world's craziest new gaming and consumer tech - Happy Mag - January 13th, 2021
- A Black Repertoire versus the Anti-Sicilians - Chessbase News - January 13th, 2021
- 'The Last of Us' prologue easter egg discovered after seven years - NME - January 13th, 2021
- Trolling the Great Outdoors - The New Yorker - January 13th, 2021
- Good, bad, and ugly 2020 - The New Indian Express - December 29th, 2020
- DeepMind's New AI Is Able To Learn The Rules Of A Game As It Plays - Unite.AI - December 27th, 2020
- Chess captures new fans thanks to the pandemic and 'The Queen's Gambit' - CBC.ca - December 27th, 2020
- Bridgewater Man And Woman Arrested In Connection To Stabbing On Christmas Eve - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Off Their Game Week 16 - Robby Anderson - Yahoo News - December 27th, 2020
- Five Tips To Become A World Chess Champion: Vasily Smyslov's Story - Chess.com - December 27th, 2020
- 20 top TV moments of 2020: From 'Jeopardy!' to 'Tiger King' and that wild election - USA TODAY - December 26th, 2020
- The Westbridge Anand Chess Academy will train five of India's biggest talents - Chessbase News - December 23rd, 2020
- Chess sets are in-demand on LI right now - Newsday - December 23rd, 2020
- Elliot Page Was Supposed to Star in The Queens Gambit - Rare.us - December 22nd, 2020
- Are computers killing the mystery of chess? video - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- From Bake Off woes to Zoom fiascos: 2020 in lists - The Guardian - December 20th, 2020
- KCF University Cup to be played online in February - Chessbase News - December 20th, 2020
- 2020 smartphone mega shootout: The best camera phones tested - Android Authority - December 20th, 2020
- The best websites to play chess after watching 'Queen's Gambit' | Tech | December 17, 2020 - Explica - December 17th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: The glaring flaw of 'The Queens Gambit' that no one wants to mention - National Post - December 12th, 2020
- Best of 2020: How The Queen's Gambit made its chess look real - Entertainment Weekly - December 11th, 2020
- 5 Easy Steps That You Need to Follow To Become A Micro Influencer - Vizaca.com - December 11th, 2020
- Omena, Miguna and onions most googled in 2020 - The Standard - December 11th, 2020
- Pegasystems' Trefler on leadership and strategy - learned from chess - Financial Post - December 8th, 2020
- Inuit-designed board game Nunami hits the shelves - Nunatsiaq News - December 8th, 2020
- How to play chess like Beth from The Queen's Gambit - The Spectator US - December 5th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Video creation app Firework insists it is more than a TikTok rival as it woos publishers in India - Business Insider India - December 3rd, 2020
- Meghan and Harry are in hot water over The Crown and their Netflix deal - NEWS.com.au - December 3rd, 2020
- The Cord's Best of 2020 The Cord - The Cord - December 3rd, 2020
- Madonna Shared a Rare, Festive Family Portrait Ahead of the Holidays - HarpersBAZAAR.com - December 1st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' got you feeling chess? The best websites to play on - Film Daily - December 1st, 2020
- Mr Beast teases chess match with grandmaster Hikaru - Dexerto - December 1st, 2020
- The 42 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 29th, 2020
- Black Friday 2020 Live Update: A later Black Friday boost; hot holiday gifts: Legos and chess sets - CNBC - November 27th, 2020
- Chess championship: A 10-year-old Filipino takes over global stage - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- Netflix, HBO Max Battle Over 'Godzilla' Rights, Disney Plus Performs 'On Pointe' - The Streamable - November 27th, 2020
- A game-changing moment for chess - CNN Video - November 26th, 2020
- Carlsen on The Queen's Gambit: A little too unrealistic - Chessbase News - November 26th, 2020
- Understanding before Moving 2: How to improve the activity of my pieces - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Gurgaon girl to represent India in World Youth Chess Championship - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 5) - Chessbase News - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - CNN - November 20th, 2020
- Cybercrimes can cost companies money, customers, and employees. Here's what types of cybersecurity protocols e - Business Insider India - November 18th, 2020
- Politicians are conquering the world of video games - Metro US - November 18th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 4) - Chessbase News - November 16th, 2020
- How "The Queen's Gambit" is inspiring a wave of new chess fans, especially women - Salon - November 16th, 2020
- 5 great shows to watch on Netflix this weekend - Netflix Life - November 8th, 2020
- Chess and scientific research - Chessbase News - November 6th, 2020
- Harry Melling on 'Queen's Gambit' and His Haunting Liam Neeson Team-Up - Hollywood Reporter - November 5th, 2020
- Win or lose, with Trump, prepare for the unimaginable after the election - CNN - November 1st, 2020
- VIDEOS - Play Chess with Friends - October 31st, 2020
- Play Chess Online - Free Online Chess on GameKnot - October 31st, 2020
- Chess videos | chess24.com - October 31st, 2020
- Gillian Jacobs Talks Improvising for the First Time on Dont Think Twice - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- TikToker Abby Roberts reacts to bizarre theory shes not really British - Dexerto - October 31st, 2020
- New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: 'Borat 2' on Amazon Prime Video+ More - Decider - October 24th, 2020
- Premiere: Sweet Crude Reaches Their "Ultimatum" - Popdust - October 23rd, 2020
- Gordon Ramsay Sipped Ocean Spray In His Latest TikTok Tirade, Referencing The Viral 'Dreams' Video - Delish.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 'Roger Federer is always out-thinking you and ready to embarrass you," says former US Open opponent - Tennishead - October 21st, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast on How the Netflix Drama Goes Beyond the Chess Board (VIDEO) - TV Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen clinches with a round to spare - Chessbase News - October 16th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Carlsen beats Caruana to take the lead - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- Connected pawns on the move - Chessbase News - October 11th, 2020
- New: Sergei Tiviakov - How to play the Ruy Lopez with Qe2 - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- AdvanceClub Launches to Inspire and Advance Esports Gamers of All Skill Levels - StreetInsider.com - October 7th, 2020
- Woman Can't Stump Her Husband With Riddles No Matter How Hard She Tries - Distractify - October 3rd, 2020
- Unearthing Every NFL Team's Early Hidden Gem - Bleacher Report - September 30th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Teaser: Anya Taylor-Joy Is Addicted to Chess, Drugs, and More Chess - Vulture - September 28th, 2020
- 'Console Wars' Review: A Fascinating, Fundamental Chronicle of the Innovative Battle Between SEGA and Nintendo - /FILM - September 24th, 2020
- WATCH: Why Nurse-Stevens was the best chess match in NBA history - Celtics Wire - September 24th, 2020
- The shifting chessboard of international influence operations - Brookings Institution - September 24th, 2020
- Yuzvendra Chahals Dance Videos That Went Viral! - IWMBuzz - September 22nd, 2020
- The 7 best chess and checkers games for Android - Explica - September 12th, 2020
- FIDE announces that the Candidates Tournament will resume on November 1st - Chessbase News - September 11th, 2020
- George Conway Shows What's Going On In Trump's Head In Exclusive 'Unfit' Clip - HuffPost - September 11th, 2020
- Pokelawls signed as streamer to TSM - Daily Esports - September 9th, 2020
- 30 fun ways to stay connected through video calls - Bryan-College Station Eagle - September 7th, 2020