From dramatic performances near the iconic Golghar to a chess competition at a city school, Durga Puja in 1930-era Patna was a cultural affair to romance, far different from the social milieu that exists today in the Bihar capital.
While many old-timers still recall the musical soirees that played out from dusk to dawn in the streets in the 60s and early 70s, the memories of colonial-era puja festivities have practically faded.
However, rare personal archives associated with the legendary Quila House of Patna city, are helping give a peek into the Puja festivities of the pre-Independence era.
Aditya Jalan, 43, the current scion of the Jalan family has chanced upon boxes of letters and festive greetings cards that were sent to his great grandfather Radha Krishna Jalan, a businessman and a well-known personality of his period.
"We have found some of the very rare Durga Puja greetings of 1936 sent by the then zamindar families of Ammawan and Ranka (now in Jharkhand's Palamu district), and also from Maharaja Sir Mohan Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana, who was the prime minister of Nepal from 1948-51. The interesting part is all three cards have a similar look, feel and design," he told PTI.
The Ammawan family card, which carries the Ammawan Raj (in Gaya district) crest on the front cover, was printed by Thacker, Spink, and Company of Calcutta.
"All three cards have a beautiful image of Maa Durga slaying the demon Mahisasur, and of other deities, as one would see in a pandal, with a Durga Stuti printed below it. The Raja of Ranka card also has an image of Ram-Sita Durbar. All three cards bear 'Shubh Vijaya' Dusshera greetings on the cover in a very aesthetic font. This is priceless, and tell us how people celebrated in that era," said Jalan, the proud possessor of the collection.
He said there are a few cards from the famous Darbhanga Raj family too, and one from the 1930s even has a photograph of the iconic Vishwavilas Palace, popularly known as Bela Palace which presently houses the Postal Training Centre in Darbhanga, printed inside.
Dusshera greetings are printed in English on the right face of the card inside.
Patna-born Jalan, an avid archivist too, recalls Puja during his childhood days when the sprawling campus of the over a century-old iconic Quila House was let out by his family to various committees for cultural events.
"But, look at how people celebrated Puja in the 1930s and perhaps in the decades nearing it. There were theatre performances and sports and music events and these documents sort of help us imagine Patna of that era too, as not much visual documentation of the city is publicly available," he said.
An October 1936 invitation card issued by The Friends' Dramatic Association, Bankipur, mentions: "the dramatic performances to be staged on the occasion of Sri Durga Puja at 9:30 pm, Near Golghar (Maidan)".
The three plays are -- "Mashraqi Hur (Oct 4), Asir-e-Hirs (Oct 5) and Swami Bhakt (Oct 6)," the card says.
Another 1936 Puja invitation card sent to Radha Krishna Jalan, addressing him as Rai Bahadur, by the Patna Blind School's Head Master, mentions a four-day programme list, which includes a chess contest, Gita competition, an 'arati' and a music competition.
An interesting coincidence is that Dusshera in 1936 had also fallen on October 25, the same date as for 2020, which is seeing subdued festivities due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Aditya said that he also has in his possession an invitation card of October 1936, sent to his great grandfather, for the opening of the Bharat Mata Mandir in Varanasi on Vijaya Dashmi day (October 25). It was inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi in the campus of the Kashi Vidyapith.
The city of Patna had a tryst with cultural affairs during Durga Puja in 60s too, when music legends like shehnai player Ustad Bismillah Khan, sitar player Ustad Vilayat Khan, violinist V G Jog, danseuse Sitara Devi, and a constellation of great singers from the film industry, such as Mohammed Rafi, Talat Mahmood, and Manna Dey, regaled the crowd, year after year.
Kolkata-based Rajiv Soni, 67, who grew up in Patna, recalled how the Bihar capital was a "hub of culture" that attracted big stars and "patronised them while celebrating culture".
"In the 60s, as a kid, I used to go with my parents in our Ambassador car to some of the famous musical gatherings which were hosted across the city, from Langertoli to Gardanibagh and Machchuatoli to Lodipur," he told PTI.
Soni, taking a trip down memory lane, said, people watched and listened to them in rapt attention, as "they were spellbound" by the performances that went from late evening to the crack of dawn.
"Such was the charm and allure of Patna, now it's all gone, decades of cultural decay in the city," he rued.
His friend and a native of Patna, Kamal Sahi, 68, recalls the Qawwali performances that were hosted in Musallahpur Hat area, and the evening soirees at Langertoli and area opposite Biscomaun Bhawan, the whole night.
Patna resident Asha Prasad, 68, who once went to an event as a child, said, "Huge banners would be put up in the city, venues were well-decorated and no one whistled or ill-behaved".
- Are Computers That Win at Chess Smarter Than Geniuses? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 27th, 2020
- Chess team eye qualification - The Herald - November 27th, 2020
- Local Event: ONLINE CHINESE CHESS CAMP | THANKSGIVING BREAK | K ~ SIXTH (6th) - Patch.com - November 27th, 2020
- How Chess Helped Natan Sharansky Outlast the Soviet Union and Foster Jewish Unity - Algemeiner - November 26th, 2020
- CBS May Have to Cancel or Move The Talk in Ratings Chess Game to Keep Drew Barrymore Alive in the Afternoon - Showbiz411 - November 26th, 2020
- Online chess boom follows 'The Queen's Gambit' success - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 25th, 2020
- Chess Forums Imad Khachan Talks 25 Years on Thompson Street With @NewYorkNico - Curbed - November 25th, 2020
- "Glory to the Queen": A Tribute to the Georgian Queens of Chess - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Why Do Business Owners Sense They Are Playing Checkers in a Chess World? - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Kenya bounce back to thrash Libya after slow start to Online Chess Olympiad games - The Standard - November 25th, 2020
- 'Searching For Bobby Fischer' Is About This Young Chess Prodigy - But He Quit the Game and Here's Why - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 25th, 2020
- PHOTO: Mira Rajput shares a sneak peek of her 'queen' Mishas chess lessons; Says 'Never too young to start' - PINKVILLA - November 25th, 2020
- Battle of the Gigabrains: Vitalik Buterin to match wits with chess master - Cointelegraph - November 24th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Is the Forrest Gump of Chess - Vulture - November 24th, 2020
- Chess Set Sales Have Skyrocketed Thanks To 'The Queen's Gambit' On Netflix - NPR - November 21st, 2020
- Illinois Wesleyan University's Virtual Production of CHESS Premieres This Weekend - Broadway World - November 21st, 2020
- Washington state team crowned national chess champions - KING5.com - November 21st, 2020
- Introducing the new Skilling Open commentary teams and our slick TV studio - chess24 - November 21st, 2020
- Packers will have an interesting chess match against the Colts defense - Acme Packing Company - November 21st, 2020
- Play Chess With Beth Harmon from The Queen's Gambit - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - St. Louis Public Radio - November 20th, 2020
- So Defeats Duda With Incredible 3|1 Performance In Speed Chess - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- Mollies Feel-Good Feed: Mind mapping, a classic Icon and a game of chess - Marie Claire UK - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - Scottsbluff Star Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Checking in with chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov - Jewish Insider - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on Trump's final exit, vaccine side-effects and the infinite fascination of chess - expressandstar.com - November 20th, 2020
- CHESS Launches Cross Border Peace Initiative Between Liberia and Ivory Coast - Liberian Daily Observer - November 20th, 2020
- Brawl Chess - Gambit brings an old classic up to date on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch - TheXboxHub - November 20th, 2020
- Diane Francis: Putin is playing chess against the West and he's winning - Financial Post - November 18th, 2020
- How chess streaming became the favourite pandemic pastime - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Chess: Indias 14-year-old Leon Mendonca closes in on Grandmaster title with second norm in Hungary - Scroll.in - November 18th, 2020
- Chess, the great metaphor of the world - Pledge Times - November 18th, 2020
- Chess the Musical to perform at Perth Concert Hall after Netflix's The Queen's Gambit sparks cultural revival - The West Australian - November 18th, 2020
- Lancaster Chess Soc embroiled in brutal civil war after president is accused of cheating - The Tab - November 18th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Will Debut at The Regent Theatre - Broadway World - November 16th, 2020
- Loansharking, fake test results and betting on chess: How organized crime has learned to thrive in the COVID-19 pandemic - Toronto Star - November 16th, 2020
- Power Book II: Ghost episode 6: New poster all about the chess... - CarterMatt - November 16th, 2020
- Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player ever? Not according to chess24's Hall of Fame - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- From chess match to streetfight: The world's courtrooms are the battleground for the future of fossil fuels - WorldOil - November 16th, 2020
- 2020 National Open Championship to be Held Online, November 21-22 - uschess.org - November 16th, 2020
- 'Chess The Musical' to be performed in Perth in 2021 - OUTinPerth - November 16th, 2020
- Will Trump quit? A chess master, pro poker player, boxing coach and Monopoly champ on the art of throwing in the towel - MarketWatch - November 12th, 2020
- Hundreds being introduced to chess | News - news-herald.net - November 12th, 2020
- Fujairah Chess and Culture Club adopts initiative to teach 20000 players basics of chess - Gulf Today - November 12th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 2) - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2020
- Grandmaster In The Making - Midweek - November 12th, 2020
- Stuart Rachels' remarkable run and a new look at chess streaks - Washington Times - November 11th, 2020
- Chinas Jack Ma: The chess game he refuses to lose in Africa - The Africa Report - November 8th, 2020
- Florida-Georgia game will be 'chess match' between Mullen, Smart - GatorBait.net - November 8th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen's Chess Tour Secures TV Deal With Eurosport - TEO - The Esports Observer - November 8th, 2020
- 'CHESS MINISERIES' MORE THRILLING THAN NETFLIX'S 'GOTHIC ROMANCE' - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - November 8th, 2020
- God, the elections, and 4-D chess - Christian Post - November 8th, 2020
- 10-year-old chess boy wonder wants to represent Philippines on world stage - Philstar.com - November 8th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: A Real-Life Chess Champion on Netflixs Addictive Hit - Vanity Fair - November 6th, 2020
- Fair play and good manners in chess - Chessbase News - November 5th, 2020
- Trump Isn't Playing 3-D Chess. He's Eating the Checker. - The Daily Beast - November 5th, 2020
- Lorenzo Marvin 'Mac' McNeal, 83, relished playing chess and Bid Whist - WYDaily - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess: Find the move that defeated a world champion - Financial Times - November 3rd, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' and more chess films worth checking out - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 3rd, 2020
- Rising star Anya Taylor-Joy takes on the challenge of chess in The Queen's Gambit - The West Australian - November 3rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: Chess Expert Bruce Pandolfini on Making the Matches Look Like the Real Thing - IndieWire - October 31st, 2020
- UAE Chess Champion to compete in Balinas Cup - PhilBoxing.com - October 31st, 2020
- ASX Extends Go-live of CHESS Replacement to April 2023 - Regulation Asia - October 30th, 2020
- Chess Corner: The Halloween Gambit - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - October 30th, 2020
- How to win at zhuolu chess in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII - Gamepur - October 30th, 2020
- How Queens Gambits VFX Team Crafted the Chess Moves - Variety - October 29th, 2020
- I Am Very Attracted to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as a Chess Cowboy on The Queen's Gambit - POPSUGAR - October 29th, 2020
- Karjakin Wins Oct. 27 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 29th, 2020
- Checkmate, mate! Australia are kings in the sport of chess - ABC News - October 29th, 2020
- Chess and bridge titles on the line at Mind Sports World University Championship - Insidethegames.biz - October 28th, 2020
- Cuba 1 at a good pace in world online university chess championship - OnCubaNews - October 28th, 2020
- Bacolod's Asuela rules NLEX Sports Battle of the Minds online chess tourney - PhilBoxing.com - October 28th, 2020
- Chess chiefs move to defeat rise in cheating as games move online in lockdown - The Sunday Post - October 28th, 2020
- CHESS speaker series set to host back-to-back events this week - Gannonknight - October 28th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020