Adele Crete-Laurence remembers the moment when she really started to feel like a leader. In air cadets, I worked my way up to second-in-command of the whole squadron, she says. As I stood in front of everyone on parade, I thought back to when I first started cadets and thought, That person in the front seems so old! And now, Im that person. It was just amazing.
Leadership skills not only propelled Crete-Laurence to the University of Toronto, but also to a prestigious, top-level entrance award: a Schulich Leader Scholarship.
Founded in 2011 by philanthropist Seymour Schulich through the Schulich Foundation,Schulich Leader Scholarshipsrecognize Canadian students with academic excellence who exemplify leadership and embrace the STEM fields science, technology, engineering and mathematics. In 2020, the Schulich Foundation awarded Schulich Leader Scholarships to 10 UofT students. The scholarships last for four years and are valued at $80,000 for science, technology or mathematics students and $100,000 for engineering students. Recipients become part of the Schulich Leaders Network.
Thatnetwork excites Crete-Laurenceas she embarks on an engineering degree with plans to work on sustainability in aerospace. She says she loves meeting new people. Ive had a few experiences in a group with a lot of students that were very driven and had a lot of interests like me and its always a really energizing experience, she says. And I always leave it with just a lot of joy.
Aaron DMello, who is studying computer science and hopes to launch a career in software development and artificial intelligence, agrees. Meeting the Schulich Leaders from past years over calls online thats been great, he says. With an interest in music, academics and athletics, DMello says collaborating with others is a big part of why he loves math so much.
Theres definitely an answer to most questions, so theres that instant feedback, he says. But even to get the answer, there are so many methods and perspectives you can take. Just collaborating with other people can give you more tools. And when you finally get it you have so much satisfaction out of finally cracking that problem.
DMello led a team of more than 10students to initiate a school-board-wide chess tournament in Ontarios Durham Region and wrote software to manage the player pairings.
An entrepreneur and a business leader, Schulich is one of Canadas most generous philanthropists. He has given $200 million to support the Schulich Leader Scholarship endowment and help launch the next generation of technology innovators.
Crete-Laurence hopes to be one of those innovators.
Recently, I earned my pilot and glider licenses and became very passionate about aviation, she says. I know a lot of people say that we shouldnt fly because it creates emissions, but aviation is a really key industry for travel andfor trade, so its not effective if we just ignore it. Im really interested in how we can make it greener and improve the technology through different forms of energy. As Ive learned more about energy in physics class, Ive become even more passionate about how technology and going green intersect.
Seymour Schulich embodies truly visionary leadership, says UofT President Meric Gertler. He sets a wonderful example for these ambitious students, as a successful entrepreneur and a leading light in Canadian philanthropy. On behalf of the University of Toronto, I would like to thank him for enabling these exceptional students to join our academic community. Were delighted to welcome them to UofT.
These inspiring students have the talent and commitment to lead our world to a positive future, adds Sandy Welsh, the universitys vice-provost, students. Supporting them in exploring their passions and relieving financial stress allows them to focus on academic achievement and to take advantage of the universitys rich extra-curricular learning environment. Were tremendously grateful to Mr. Schulich for his vision for educating the best and brightest of Canadas diverse young generation, and thrilled to do our part in helping them thrive as leaders.
The students are grateful, too.
It was incredible to hear I got the Schulich Leader Scholarship, says DMello. The financial aspect is a really big deal because now I can focus on getting the most out of my education. But also, its just a huge honour. Im really proud of it and I hope that through my education and through my career, I can make Mr. Schulich proud, too.
I want to express my true gratitude to Mr. Schulich, adds Crete-Laurence. He has really made an impact on me. Being called a leader has renewed my sense of confidence as I go into what I know will be a challenging degree, and Im going to seize every opportunity that arises for me.
UofTs 2020 Schulich Leaders have many accomplishments under their belts, from building apps to schools and businesses. Here are this years recipients of the Schulich Leader Scholarship:
Mallory Bond, mathematics and physical sciences, Trinity College
Bonds dual passions for math and music are just the beginning of her wide-ranging interests, which include competitive choir, ballet, tap dancing, lifeguarding and swim coaching. Shes launched a music program for at-risk youth and helped build a school in Kenya.She says she hopes to continue making a positive impact with the Schulich Leader network.
Aaron DMello, computer science, UofT Scarborough
DMello doesnt just love math. As a tutor whos been volunteering for four years, he helps others appreciate it, too. Hes placed on the honour roll at four University of Waterloo math competitions; inaugurated and managed school-board-wide chess tournaments in Durham Region; and is a track athlete, a top-level pianist, an air cadet and a Reach for the Top alumnus.
Daniel Hocevar, computer science, St. Michaels College
Hocevar skips his own curling team, playing at the provincial level, and has already founded a tech startup, Curling Analytics a first step to creating accessible sports analytics apps. In high school, he enjoyed the robotics club and, at UofT, hes looking forward to diving into artificial intelligence, computer vision and other innovative technologies.
Jessie Ritter, computer science, mathematics and statistics, UofT Mississauga
Ritter hopes to take her entrepreneurial ambitions to the next level at UofT Mississauga. At her home in Bancroft, Ont., she has already created a golf ball business, managed an egg-selling operation, sold her organic produce to supermarkets, looked after 14 beehives and co-led an initiative to feed hungry families.
Matthew Toohey, computer science, University College
With music, travel, gaming, coding, volunteering, audiovisual club, a black belt in karate and even a popsicle stick bridge-building championship on his resume, Toohey brings a well-rounded energy to UofT. He had already built himself a desktop computer by Grade 9, and hes looking forward to learning about fields such as computer security and privacy at U of T.
Adele Crete-Laurence, engineering science
Crete-Laurence earned pilot and glider licenses as an air cadet, where she rose to second-in-command of her squadron and won the Royal Canadian Legion Cadet Medal of Excellence. And she still found time to debate with the Model United Nations, study pianoand sing in a choir. She hopes to make contributions to aerospace engineering and become fully involved with the UofT Engineering community.
Zack Fine, engineering science
Fine didnt just build his own 3D printer at his high school, he used it to design, build and sell fidget spinners, and founded a 3D printing club for good measure. He was also involved in math and coding clubs, student government and Reach for the Top. He looks forward to getting just as involved in UofT Engineerings vibrant club and research community.
Aditi Misra, engineering science
From nanomedicine to robotics and sustainability, Misra has already delved into the gamut of engineering initiatives, and looks forward to more collaborations at UofT. Her achievements include a National Academy of Engineering award for her essay proposing a flywheel energy storage system for Mississauga, Ont., as well as a nanomedicine research proposal.
Christopher K.W. Adolphe, engineering science
A goalie for AAA hockey since 2017, Adolphe also found time to co-found a Duke of Edinburgh Club, focused on global citizenship, at his Toronto high school. He has a passion for emerging technological fields such as AI, biotech and virtual realityand has already participated in a project designing tech-driven solutions to mitigate the impact of natural disasters.
Azeem Mohammad, electrical engineering
Joining a drone-building club in high school gave Mohammad a passion for engineering, while years of volunteering fed his interest in helping humanity. He is looking forward to exploring a wide range of topics, meeting other students passionate about engineering, and building a career that allows him to have a positive impact on others.
- Ron McKay's Diary: I confess to not knowing what a mindfulness session is, but special flowers have made me feel blooming wonderful - HeraldScotland - November 29th, 2020
- The 50 best books of 2020 - Telegraph.co.uk - November 29th, 2020
- Commercial Aircraft Heat Transfer and Fluid Management System Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2025 - News by... - November 27th, 2020
- Chess is having a boom due to pandemic and The Queens Gambit - Yahoo News - November 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Activities to Help Boost Your Creative Thinking - Mediummagazine - November 25th, 2020
- How man and machine together can make better-investing decisions - The Times of India Blog - November 25th, 2020
- Global Chess Table Market 2020 Sales Analysis, Future Prospects and Upcoming Trends till 2024 - Birmingham Alive - November 25th, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Rising Business Opportunities with Prominent Investment Ratio by 2026| SRC, Lockheed Martin, Thales - Murphy's... - November 25th, 2020
- UK to sell record 485.5 billion pounds of bonds in 2020/21 - Yahoo Finance UK - November 25th, 2020
- Kasparov and the start of ChessBase - Chessbase News - November 24th, 2020
- Can a Computer Devise a Theory of Everything? - The New York Times - November 24th, 2020
- Business : 'Lady's Gambit' is the most watched series on Netflix and other notes so you can forget about COVID-19 - Explica - November 24th, 2020
- It's time that we celebrated autistic people | Times2 - The Times - November 24th, 2020
- Here's How to Play Chess by Mail, and What Movies to Watch to Get Your Game Going - Willamette Week - November 21st, 2020
- Happy birthday to Benoit Mandelbrot, the discoverer of fractals - Livescience.com - November 21st, 2020
- Is your job safe from automation and AI? - Free Press Journal - November 21st, 2020
- Favazza, Johnson named Rotary Students of the Month - Alton Telegraph - November 20th, 2020
- Dream home: Couple turned to poetry and muralled ceilings when building an American-style property in Louth - Independent.ie - November 20th, 2020
- Where To Start Studying Chess If You Are A Beginner According To Anatoly Machulsky? - Newsy Tribune - November 18th, 2020
- Chess Market Overview, Industry Top Manufactures, Market Size, Industry Growth Analysis and Forecast: 2026 | , The House of Staunton, ChessSUA,... - November 18th, 2020
- Chess Market Growth 2026: including key players The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron, Shri Ganesh (India) International - TechnoWeekly - November 18th, 2020
- Chess Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025| The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron, Shri Ganesh International, Chessncrafts -... - November 18th, 2020
- Alton-Godfrey Rotary Club Announces Students of the Month for November - RiverBender.com - November 18th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Response to 'Esports Lab' - Fairfield Mirror - November 18th, 2020
- 6 Pillars Of Chess Strategy Explained By Anatoly Machulsky - FortuneHerald - November 16th, 2020
- Play Magnus AS (PMG-ME) - Invitation to Webcast of Q3 2020 Quarterly Presentation 18 November 2020 at 8:00 (CET) - marketscreener.com - November 16th, 2020
- Emily in Paris renewed for second season on Netflix - YP - November 16th, 2020
- AI is wrestling with a replication crisis - MIT Technology Review - November 16th, 2020
- Chess Table Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2026 - Royal Sutton News - November 16th, 2020
- Full Text of All Articles The Berkeley Daily Planet - Berkeley Daily Planet - November 16th, 2020
- The eyes have it: How do the No. 25 Ragin' Cajuns have 10 interceptions? - Daily Advertiser - November 16th, 2020
- Carlo Ancelotti will need more than a skeleton squad to navigate winter football churn - Royal Blue Mersey - November 16th, 2020
- What the vaccine won't cure - CNN - November 16th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: This striking Netflix study of female genius is the drama of the year - iNews - November 12th, 2020
- Chess Market Summary, Value Structure Analysis, Growth Opportunities And Forecast To 2026 | , The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron -... - November 12th, 2020
- Education is the key to developing lifelike intelligent robots, the study argues. - The Washington Newsday - November 12th, 2020
- Global Risedronate Sodium Market Market Analysis Report 2020- By Type, Applications, End-Users, Market Size, Trends, Upcoming Opportunities and... - November 12th, 2020
- Chess Market Research Report Explores The Trade Trends For The Forecast 2020 2025 | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron - PRnews... - November 10th, 2020
- Chess Market Growing with Significant by 2020-2027 Focusing on Leading Players - The Think Curiouser - November 10th, 2020
- Global Chess Market 2020 Recovering From Covid-19 Outbreak | Know About Brand Players: The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS, ChessBaron, Shri... - November 10th, 2020
- New Research Report: Chess Market Segments, Key Drivers and Vendor Landscape and Snapshot Analysis by 2026| The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS,... - November 10th, 2020
- Marielle Heller: 'I don't think we have to be jerks to make good art' - The Guardian - November 10th, 2020
- Cognitive Abilities Of Humans Peak At The Age Of 35: Chess Study - Analytics India Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on International Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | The House of Staunton,... - November 6th, 2020
- Global Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market 2020 Research Analysis on Competitive landscape and Key Vendors, Forecast by 2025 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Chess Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Official Staunton, CNCHESS, The House of... - November 5th, 2020
- Combatting Covid Stress With Yoga, Meditation - NDTV - November 5th, 2020
- Election Day Anxiety? Here Are 5 Ways To Cope With Stress While Waiting For the Results - Science Times - November 5th, 2020
- Making Progress Against Relapsed/ Refractory DLBCL Without CAR T - OncLive - November 5th, 2020
- What Is A 'Queen's Gambit' Move? Chess Opening Move Explained - menshealth.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Fight or Flight? New Study Reveals the Neural Basis of Territorial Behavior - Technology Networks - November 3rd, 2020
- Election Day anxiety? These 5 activities can help reduce stress while watching returns on Nov. 3 - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- MVL Beats Sarin In Speed Chess Opening Match - Chess.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess Market to witness astonishing growth with Key Players | The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Counter UAV (C-UAV) Technologies Market 2020 Global Analysis, Opportunities, Growth and Forecast to 2025 - Aerospace Journal - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Chess Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 3rd, 2020
- Counter UAV Market Emerging Trends, Strong Application Scope, Size, Status, Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 3rd, 2020
- Amazon workers discuss the issues raised by the US presidential election - WSWS - November 3rd, 2020
- 'We older people are stoic in the face of coronavirus' - The Times - November 3rd, 2020
- Counter-UAV (C-UAV) Systems Market Size And Forecast (2020-2026)| With Post Impact Of Covid-19 By Top Leading Players-SRC,Lockheed... - November 3rd, 2020
- Colorado teachers are working twice sometimes three times as hard when their students learn both in person and online - The Colorado Sun - November 3rd, 2020
- Why 'The Queens Gambit' Is the No. 1 Netflix Show Right Now - WIRED - November 1st, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit is the must-watch show on Netflix right now - Wired.co.uk - November 1st, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights and Business Outlook 2020-2026: Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group, Arqiva, Chess -... - October 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Chess Market Research, Size, Growth And Trends 2020 to 2025| The House of Staunton, ChessSUA, CNCHESS - Eurowire - October 31st, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: That ending explained and all your questions answered - CNET - October 29th, 2020
- Counter UAV Market : Growth, Demand and Key Players to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- CHESS Tool Helps Spot the Difference in Genome Organization - Technology Networks - October 28th, 2020
- Chess Table Market: Qualitative analysis of the leading players and competitive industry scenario | Acrila, Amop Synergies, Colombo Mobili, Doty &... - October 28th, 2020
- Used Construction Machinery Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast To 2026 Mascus USA, Arnold Machinery Company, Foley Inc,... - October 28th, 2020
- Plumbing the Depths of Ethanol Ignorance - The Auto Channel - October 28th, 2020
- Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D - Canal Street Chronicles - October 28th, 2020
- Study finds spread of coronavirus on an airplane is minimal - Yahoo Money - October 24th, 2020
- B2B Telecommunications Market Competitive Insights 2020 : Callstream, Charterhouse Voice and Data, BT Group - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Chess Table Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Forecast to 2025 Published By Leading Research Firm The House of Staunton, ChessSUA - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Chess Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News by Decresearch - October 23rd, 2020
- 5 Iconic Places Around Campus - The Third Eye - October 23rd, 2020
- Grand master Hikaru challenges Obama to chess match on Twitch - Dexerto - October 23rd, 2020
- Overnight Health Care: Trump says he hopes Supreme Court strikes down ObamaCare | FDA approves remdesivir as COVID-19 treatment | Dems threaten to... - October 23rd, 2020