Many organizations now deploy robots, avatars and chatbots to perform more prosaic tasks we used to ask flesh-and-blood people to do. Sure, robots can work hard (and they dont catch viruses, at least the kind we do), so already they are starting to replace human workers who do routine tasks such as warehouse fulfillment.
But the AI revolution goes well beyond logistics and reaches deep into the front-of-the-store as well. In Japan, SoftBank started to sell the first full-scale humanoid home assistant to consumers. Pepper is intended to provide companionship and information to users. It (or he?) is equipped with emotion engine software that can read a persons emotions via facial expressions and speech and react accordingly.
But wait, isnt the ability to read people the hallmark of a good salesperson? Its just a matter of time before new-and-improved versions of Pepper start to populate the sales floor.
Are marketers ready for robot salespeople?
Ready or not, they need to grapple with this question, and soon. Worldwide sales of consumer robots passed 5 billion dollars in 2018, and robot shipments will increase from 15 million units in 2018 to 66 million by 2025. The market value by then would be 19 billion dollars.
At the retail level, how will shoppers react to dealing with a non-human in a store environment? So far, consumers seem eager to embrace android salespeople. One recent survey reported that about half of the women it sampled want to use them when they shop for beauty products. This initial enthusiasm may stem from the speed and convenience of an automated process, the perceived ineptitude of many store employees to provide constructive (and especially objective) advice, or perhaps a combination of both.
Of course, its still early days, and quite possible that a lot of this receptiveness is simply due to the novelty of talking to a metal person. Once that wears off (and it will), we need to learn a lot more about the factors that will attract or dissuade customers from seeking a machines advice. Clearly, they will have to learn to trust the suggestions they receive, for example. And certainly, there are consumer variables such as gender, social class/ education, and experience with a product category that will make some of us more likely than others to embrace this new form of decision making.
As the line between Humans vs. Computers disappears, we need to address many important ethical and strategic questions, such as these:
How does the physical appearance of a robot or avatar sales advisor affect the likelihood that customers will trust and follow its recommendations about what to buy?
How will chatbots and affective computing (where software detects a consumers emotional state) impact sales interactions?
What will be the impact of dating apps, sexbots, and other smart devices on interpersonal relationships?
How will facial recognition and wearable computer technologies meld with AI to create markets of one where the messages we see, and the products and services we buy, are highly customized to each individual consumer?
Very soon, the rise of the machines will become the race of the machines. Be sure youre at the starting gate.
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World', 'Shadow Gangs', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 15th, 2021
- Their Uniforms Say Ohio State and Alabama. The Players Are From Everywhere. - The Wall Street Journal - January 13th, 2021
- Ziggurat Interactive Releases First Retro First Friday Pack Of 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 9th, 2021
- TV tonight: another day in paradise for detective Ralf Little - The Guardian - January 9th, 2021
- The Board Games Global Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 13% Between 2021 to 2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- 50 Best TV Shows To Watch In 2021 - Highest Rated Television Series - OtakuKart - OtakuKart - December 29th, 2020
- Red Bull think they have secret weapon to catch Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas | F1 | Sport - TechnoCodex - December 23rd, 2020
- HBO's Industry creators and Myha'la Herrold break down season 1 finale - Entertainment Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Research at Microsoft 2020: Addressing the present while looking to the future - Microsoft - December 22nd, 2020
- Deals of the Week, December 11 to 18 Growth Business roundup - GrowthBusiness.co.uk - December 18th, 2020
- Turns Out Its Pretty Good: Doomscrolling - The Cut - December 18th, 2020
- A Letter to My Kids - The Good Men Project - December 15th, 2020
- Yakuza Remastered Collection On The Way For Xbox & PC - Bleeding Cool News - December 13th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Gets A New Trailer Showing Off The Features - Bleeding Cool News - December 9th, 2020
- Reflections on 40 years: thanks for the memories (we can remember) - NOLA.com - December 9th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum - Tom's Hardware - December 8th, 2020
- AI has almost solved one of biologys greatest challenges how protein unfolds - ThePrint - December 8th, 2020
- Demis Hassabis interview: the kid from the comp who founded DeepMind and cracked a mighty riddle of science - The Times - December 6th, 2020
- Online Chess and Working from Home - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- Full Fischer film in YouTube - Chessbase News - December 5th, 2020
- New C360 CEO Howard Wright Sees Broadcast Tech Putting Fans on the Field of Play - Sports Video Group - December 5th, 2020
- This is what would happen if a Hind took on a Cobra - We Are The Mighty - December 5th, 2020
- Hyundai Takes The Wraps Off Its E-GMP Electric Car Platform - CleanTechnica - December 3rd, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons to Rent an RV when you traveling - The Dubrovnik Times - December 3rd, 2020
- Akron flashback: Some childhood toys you never forget - Akron Beacon Journal - December 1st, 2020
- 24 Comments on GM is Paying Cadillac Dealers to Ditch the Brand... - The Truth About Cars - November 29th, 2020
- Skilling Open QF2: Day of the Comebacks - chess24 - November 27th, 2020
- Jelurida Announces Bridge Champ, an On-Chain Version of the Famous Card Game - IT News Online - November 27th, 2020
- The 37 Best Black Friday Smart Home and Kitchen Deals (2020) - WIRED - November 27th, 2020
- The Joylessness of Cooking - The New Yorker - November 27th, 2020
- The Big Bang Theory: 10 Hidden Details About Penny That Everyone Missed - Screen Rant - November 26th, 2020
- Hitman 3 Reveals A New Location With Chongqing, China - Bleeding Cool News - November 25th, 2020
- Conte and Zidane remain best of friends ahead of San Siro reunion - MSN UK - November 25th, 2020
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review: The Mainstream Knockout - Tom's Hardware - November 24th, 2020
- What's Next In AI, Chips And Masks - SemiEngineering - November 20th, 2020
- NFL Week 11: Picks and preview - Yardbarker - November 20th, 2020
- 2020 NBA Draft: Sam Vecenie's likes and dislikes - The Athletic - November 20th, 2020
- We have free android games and apps Birmingham Alive - Birmingham Alive - November 18th, 2020
- Remembering When the Memories Are No Longer Our Own - War on the Rocks - November 12th, 2020
- How To Learn Chess By Yourself: Best Apps And More - Goosed.ie - November 10th, 2020
- So Beats Abdusattorov In Speed Chess Match - Chess.com - November 10th, 2020
- Truss the process: How the Ravens turned a strange week into their biggest win of the season - Baltimore Sun - November 10th, 2020
- 2020 European MotoGP Results and News - Cycle News - November 10th, 2020
- Star Renegades Will Be Coming To Consoles Later This Month - Bleeding Cool News - November 10th, 2020
- Why a great teacher can make all the difference - Blogdottv - November 10th, 2020
- How Disney Helped Fans Live Their Star Wars Stories - Theme Park Insider - November 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence, the reality behind the runaway - Pledge Times - November 8th, 2020
- 8 Comments on Bugatti Bolide's Claimed Nurburing Time Isn't Real... - The Truth About Cars - October 30th, 2020
- What happened at the Badger Fire? - Times-News - October 30th, 2020
- Red Bull hopes 'Balance of Performance' plan will win rivals over to engine freeze - RaceFans - October 28th, 2020
- Rybka - Wikipedia - October 28th, 2020
- What the hell is reinforcement learning and how does it work? - The Next Web - October 28th, 2020
- How the new diversity is transforming science fictions future - Polygon - October 28th, 2020
- Low-flying helicopters to measure radiation levels in DC before inauguration | TheHill - The Hill - October 23rd, 2020
- Derrick Henry isnt the only challenge for the Steelers in Nashville - Behind the Steel Curtain - October 23rd, 2020
- National Stock Exchange of Australia to Launch Automated Trading Blockchain... - Coinspeaker - October 21st, 2020
- When 3 is greater than 5 - Chessbase News - October 19th, 2020
- The Analogue Duo Retro System Will Launch Sometime In 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - October 19th, 2020
- NHTSA Launching Investigation Into Chevy Bolt Fires - The Truth About Cars - October 16th, 2020
- Chess Engines Collection Download - OuefCafe.info - October 11th, 2020
- Engines - Chessprogramming wiki - October 11th, 2020
- Unreal Engine will power the Hummer EV's infotainment display - Sports Grind Entertainment - October 8th, 2020
- Jos: Time for Red Bull to produce a championship-winning car - Grand Prix 247 - October 8th, 2020
- Norway Chess: Caruana and Firouzja get off to a good start - Chessbase News - October 7th, 2020
- Belltower: Outlawing the internal combustion engine - Mountain Democrat - October 3rd, 2020
- Netmarble Announces An Original Mobile Title With A3: Still Alive - Bleeding Cool News - October 1st, 2020
- The F-35 in the Way Ahead for USMC-US Navy Integration - Second Line of Defense - September 30th, 2020
- Apple Vs. Epics First Hearing Takes Place, Judge Recommends Jury Trial for July 2021 - mxdwn.com - September 30th, 2020
- 15 Games Like Among Us That Will Test Your Wits - KeenGamer News - September 28th, 2020
- Digital Inclusion: What Does It Bring To The Future Of Connected Vehicles? - ISBuzz News - September 24th, 2020
- CanPL.ca's Best of the second group stage and CPL Final at The Island Games - Canadian Premier League - September 22nd, 2020
- Smart Money Podcast: Used Cars in Short Supply, and Shea Coule Talks About Money - Morton Times-News - September 22nd, 2020
- Revved up: How FCA and an army of contractors raced against time to put together 1st new assembly plant in Detroit in 3 decades - Crain's Detroit... - September 20th, 2020
- T-Bones waiting for the all-clear to open - Wicked Local Plymouth - September 19th, 2020
- Changing the rules - Spectator.co.uk - September 19th, 2020
- Cyan Reveals They're Developing The Game Myst For VR - Bleeding Cool News - September 19th, 2020
- Carlsen Connects on Day 2 of Rapid and Blitz - uschess.org - September 19th, 2020
- California's Butte County has been ravaged by wildfires. One man's rescue shows the depth of the fight - San Francisco Chronicle - September 19th, 2020
- The Football GM: Ranking the running backs signed to new contracts - The Athletic - September 16th, 2020
- Is Creativity Dying in Sports? - NYU Washington Square News - September 15th, 2020