Chess is having a moment. The centuries-old analog game has found new life online, and it hasnt just grown in popularity its exploded. As people turn toward digital entertainment amid the pandemic, and game streaming becomes ubiquitous, its reaching more people than ever.
Hikaru Nakamura, 32, is an American chess grandmaster, chess streamer, and one of the figures leading this renaissance. You can find Nakamura, aka GMHikaru, on Twitch any given weeknight, listening to chill beats and schooling haters at the kings game.
Nakamura is a bona fide chess prodigy. At 15, he became one of the youngest Americans to reach the title of grandmaster. Hes now 32 and is thinking of leaving the traditional world of over-the-table (OTB) chess behind to stream full-time. An average Nakamura stream can see up to 10,000 viewers at a time.
His online presence reached a new height at the end of August 2020. He was recruited by TSM, one of the largest streaming teams active today.
Chess has remained popular on Twitch, and when we looked into it further, Hikaru is the reason why, Leena Xu, President of Esports for TSM, said in a statement. Hikaru is able to engage with the Twitch community in an authentic way, and his mission of expanding chesss audience really resonates with TSM.
Nakamura, in a video about joining TSM, said that one thing I really want to do, is whomever I represent, try to bring home titles, bring home trophies. And I feel that my best opportunities to do that will be at TSM.
Xu said that with most tournaments moving online due to COVID-19, the chess community will only continue to grow. This is a huge change from how the chess community worked a couple decades ago.
Before the internet, chess thoughts, strategies, and gameplay tactics were collected in books or magazines and would come out periodically.
In the old days, if you wanted to know what a grandmaster was thinking youd have to read about it, says Joshua Anderson, a 45-year-old chess journalist and teacher.
In 1993, the game saw a resurgence with the release of the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer. This was reinforced by the man-versus-machine matchup of chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov and IBMs Deep Blue supercomputer. Suddenly, chess was no ancient game, but a sophisticated, modern measure of intelligence.
Chess.com became the go-to destination for online chess games just as Twitch saw its own rise to popularity, presenting the chance to consolidate the Chess community. According to Nick Barton, the director of business development at Chess.com, the website saw streaming as an ideal way to create a community around the game.
Chess.com started its own Twitch channel and made deals to build out more channels for casual chess fans. These streams would go on to attract between 100 and 500 concurrent watchers.
The collaboration between Chess.com and Twitch started small. They worked together on features like emotes in the channels, and graphical support during streams. Slowly but steadily, it mushroomed. Followers for Chess.coms channel grew from 73,000 in late 2016 to 110,000 in October 2018. As of October 2020, it has more than 350,000.
The pandemic drove the largest growth ever on Chess.com. Thats not just because people are staying home. Streamers like Chessbrah, a group of masters who stream together on one channel, or Ludwig, who listens to electronic music and has a breezy personality. Or, of course, Nakamura himself.
Theres a whole online subculture that lives on Reddit, and in memes. Some streamers have changed the vernacular of the game, calling a knight the horsey piece or calling a discovered check a fossil. Younger players are making the game fresh.
Barton believes chess is popular on Twitch for the same reason as Super Mario Bros. speedruns. Its a nostalgia thing. Many gamers remember playing chess as a child, and now they can watch it being played by their favorite streamers.
Chess.coms Pogchamps tournaments are boosting viewership, too. The tournaments are a competition where Twitch streamers best known for playing other games often shooters or other action titles, like Fortnite or Call of Duty try their hand at chess.
These streamers introduce their own audiences to chess, which creates a domino effect, bringing more awareness to it. Young players can now play every day and watch their favorite streamers every night.
Vasishta Tumuluri, a 15-year-old with 10 years experience playing the game, is one of those young players. He plays online nearly every day and keeps tabs on chess streamers when he cant.
Tumuluri is rated at 1,686 by the U.S. Chess Federation, at the time of this writing. He wants to be a grandmaster one day, and hes plugged into the world of Twitch as another tool to get him there. I watch streams four to five times a week, pretty much daily, he said. If its a streamer I like, Ill watch.
Chess is usually a silent, furious game, and its refreshing to see streamers with a relaxed, cool vibe, says Tumuluri. You see theyre not just a chess player. Theyre also a person.
Add to that the fact these streamers can make a living from streaming now, and its easy to see why Barton thinks this is only the beginning of a new era for chess.
Read the original:
- How Chess Helped Natan Sharansky Outlast the Soviet Union and Foster Jewish Unity - Algemeiner - November 26th, 2020
- CBS May Have to Cancel or Move The Talk in Ratings Chess Game to Keep Drew Barrymore Alive in the Afternoon - Showbiz411 - November 26th, 2020
- Online chess boom follows 'The Queen's Gambit' success - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 25th, 2020
- Chess Forums Imad Khachan Talks 25 Years on Thompson Street With @NewYorkNico - Curbed - November 25th, 2020
- "Glory to the Queen": A Tribute to the Georgian Queens of Chess - Chessbase News - November 25th, 2020
- Why Do Business Owners Sense They Are Playing Checkers in a Chess World? - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Kenya bounce back to thrash Libya after slow start to Online Chess Olympiad games - The Standard - November 25th, 2020
- 'Searching For Bobby Fischer' Is About This Young Chess Prodigy - But He Quit the Game and Here's Why - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 25th, 2020
- PHOTO: Mira Rajput shares a sneak peek of her 'queen' Mishas chess lessons; Says 'Never too young to start' - PINKVILLA - November 25th, 2020
- Battle of the Gigabrains: Vitalik Buterin to match wits with chess master - Cointelegraph - November 24th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit Is the Forrest Gump of Chess - Vulture - November 24th, 2020
- Chess Set Sales Have Skyrocketed Thanks To 'The Queen's Gambit' On Netflix - NPR - November 21st, 2020
- Illinois Wesleyan University's Virtual Production of CHESS Premieres This Weekend - Broadway World - November 21st, 2020
- Washington state team crowned national chess champions - KING5.com - November 21st, 2020
- Introducing the new Skilling Open commentary teams and our slick TV studio - chess24 - November 21st, 2020
- Packers will have an interesting chess match against the Colts defense - Acme Packing Company - November 21st, 2020
- Play Chess With Beth Harmon from The Queen's Gambit - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- On Chess: Mizzou's Chess Team Proves Capable Of Winning Even In A Virtual Space - St. Louis Public Radio - November 20th, 2020
- So Defeats Duda With Incredible 3|1 Performance In Speed Chess - Chess.com - November 20th, 2020
- Mollies Feel-Good Feed: Mind mapping, a classic Icon and a game of chess - Marie Claire UK - November 20th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: How a Netflix show is increasing the popularity of chess - Scottsbluff Star Herald - November 20th, 2020
- Checking in with chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov - Jewish Insider - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on Trump's final exit, vaccine side-effects and the infinite fascination of chess - expressandstar.com - November 20th, 2020
- CHESS Launches Cross Border Peace Initiative Between Liberia and Ivory Coast - Liberian Daily Observer - November 20th, 2020
- Brawl Chess - Gambit brings an old classic up to date on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch - TheXboxHub - November 20th, 2020
- Diane Francis: Putin is playing chess against the West and he's winning - Financial Post - November 18th, 2020
- How chess streaming became the favourite pandemic pastime - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Chess: Indias 14-year-old Leon Mendonca closes in on Grandmaster title with second norm in Hungary - Scroll.in - November 18th, 2020
- Chess, the great metaphor of the world - Pledge Times - November 18th, 2020
- Chess the Musical to perform at Perth Concert Hall after Netflix's The Queen's Gambit sparks cultural revival - The West Australian - November 18th, 2020
- Lancaster Chess Soc embroiled in brutal civil war after president is accused of cheating - The Tab - November 18th, 2020
- CHESS THE MUSICAL Will Debut at The Regent Theatre - Broadway World - November 16th, 2020
- Loansharking, fake test results and betting on chess: How organized crime has learned to thrive in the COVID-19 pandemic - Toronto Star - November 16th, 2020
- Power Book II: Ghost episode 6: New poster all about the chess... - CarterMatt - November 16th, 2020
- Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player ever? Not according to chess24's Hall of Fame - chess24 - November 16th, 2020
- From chess match to streetfight: The world's courtrooms are the battleground for the future of fossil fuels - WorldOil - November 16th, 2020
- 2020 National Open Championship to be Held Online, November 21-22 - uschess.org - November 16th, 2020
- 'Chess The Musical' to be performed in Perth in 2021 - OUTinPerth - November 16th, 2020
- Will Trump quit? A chess master, pro poker player, boxing coach and Monopoly champ on the art of throwing in the towel - MarketWatch - November 12th, 2020
- Hundreds being introduced to chess | News - news-herald.net - November 12th, 2020
- Fujairah Chess and Culture Club adopts initiative to teach 20000 players basics of chess - Gulf Today - November 12th, 2020
- ChessBase 16 - The new features (Part 2) - Chessbase News - November 12th, 2020
- Grandmaster In The Making - Midweek - November 12th, 2020
- Stuart Rachels' remarkable run and a new look at chess streaks - Washington Times - November 11th, 2020
- Chinas Jack Ma: The chess game he refuses to lose in Africa - The Africa Report - November 8th, 2020
- Florida-Georgia game will be 'chess match' between Mullen, Smart - GatorBait.net - November 8th, 2020
- Magnus Carlsen's Chess Tour Secures TV Deal With Eurosport - TEO - The Esports Observer - November 8th, 2020
- 'CHESS MINISERIES' MORE THRILLING THAN NETFLIX'S 'GOTHIC ROMANCE' - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - November 8th, 2020
- God, the elections, and 4-D chess - Christian Post - November 8th, 2020
- 10-year-old chess boy wonder wants to represent Philippines on world stage - Philstar.com - November 8th, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: A Real-Life Chess Champion on Netflixs Addictive Hit - Vanity Fair - November 6th, 2020
- Fair play and good manners in chess - Chessbase News - November 5th, 2020
- Trump Isn't Playing 3-D Chess. He's Eating the Checker. - The Daily Beast - November 5th, 2020
- Lorenzo Marvin 'Mac' McNeal, 83, relished playing chess and Bid Whist - WYDaily - November 3rd, 2020
- Chess: Find the move that defeated a world champion - Financial Times - November 3rd, 2020
- 'The Queen's Gambit' and more chess films worth checking out - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 3rd, 2020
- Rising star Anya Taylor-Joy takes on the challenge of chess in The Queen's Gambit - The West Australian - November 3rd, 2020
- The Queens Gambit: Chess Expert Bruce Pandolfini on Making the Matches Look Like the Real Thing - IndieWire - October 31st, 2020
- UAE Chess Champion to compete in Balinas Cup - PhilBoxing.com - October 31st, 2020
- ASX Extends Go-live of CHESS Replacement to April 2023 - Regulation Asia - October 30th, 2020
- Chess Corner: The Halloween Gambit - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - October 30th, 2020
- How to win at zhuolu chess in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII - Gamepur - October 30th, 2020
- How Queens Gambits VFX Team Crafted the Chess Moves - Variety - October 29th, 2020
- I Am Very Attracted to Thomas Brodie-Sangster as a Chess Cowboy on The Queen's Gambit - POPSUGAR - October 29th, 2020
- Karjakin Wins Oct. 27 Titled Tuesday - Chess.com - October 29th, 2020
- Checkmate, mate! Australia are kings in the sport of chess - ABC News - October 29th, 2020
- Chess and bridge titles on the line at Mind Sports World University Championship - Insidethegames.biz - October 28th, 2020
- Cuba 1 at a good pace in world online university chess championship - OnCubaNews - October 28th, 2020
- Bacolod's Asuela rules NLEX Sports Battle of the Minds online chess tourney - PhilBoxing.com - October 28th, 2020
- Chess chiefs move to defeat rise in cheating as games move online in lockdown - The Sunday Post - October 28th, 2020
- CHESS speaker series set to host back-to-back events this week - Gannonknight - October 28th, 2020
- How The Queens Gambit Made Its Chess Scenes Believable and Exciting - Vulture - October 24th, 2020
- Asian online chess championship: Top-seeded Indian mens and womens teams reach final - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Gibraltar To Host Womens FIDE Grand Prix Instead Of Its Annual Chess Festival - Chess.com - October 24th, 2020
- TV review: You don't have to know how to play chess in order to enjoy 'The Queen's Gambit' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - October 24th, 2020
- Israelis and Sudanese promote solidarity and peace through game of chess - The Jerusalem Post - October 24th, 2020
- Enzo On Chess - Big Brother Live Feed Highlight - Yahoo Entertainment - October 24th, 2020
- Durga Puja in 1930s: When theatre, music, chess contest played out in Patna - Deccan Herald - October 24th, 2020
- 14 Things to Watch This Week: Anya Taylor-Joy Plays Chess, the Real 'Amityville' House and Top Secret Videos - Parade - October 24th, 2020
- The Queen's Gambit: A Netflix Series Where The Chess Is Done Right - Chess.com - October 23rd, 2020